A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts
  
 
»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo 5 forge as a map creation tool

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Halo 5 forge as a map creation tool (36 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

killzone64
Joined: Jun 9, 2010

Back at it


Posted: Sep 8, 2016 02:48 PM    Msg. 1 of 36       
is anyone going to use the new halo 5 forge tool as a part of their map design workflow

i know if it runs ok on my computer i will be using forge to test out layout ideas before putting the effort into modeling them. while it wont give a good idea of weapon balance and movement it will give me a way to scale the map out and make better geusses at what i may need to change design wise.
Edited by killzone64 on Sep 9, 2016 at 12:25 PM


altis94
Joined: Oct 5, 2012

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger


Posted: Sep 8, 2016 02:59 PM    Msg. 2 of 36       
Then you can grab a 3d ripping program and put your 5 million triangle map in ce :D


BipolarAurora
Joined: Aug 16, 2016


Posted: Sep 8, 2016 06:15 PM    Msg. 3 of 36       
Beecock


The Master
Joined: Aug 8, 2014

~En Lepanto la victoria y la muerte en Trafalgar~


Posted: Sep 8, 2016 07:33 PM    Msg. 4 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Then you can grab a 3d ripping program and put your 5 million triangle map in ce :D
No but it's a good idea to easily play with concepts and maybe even rip some models as a template.


EtchyaSketch
Joined: Apr 11, 2014

S P I N


Posted: Sep 8, 2016 09:13 PM    Msg. 5 of 36       
I've always thought Forge was a cool prototyping tool (not a great map making tool until 5).

If I ever get back into map making I was thinking of remaking some great forge maps that's come out over the years.


Jesse
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Discord: Jesse#4500


Posted: Sep 9, 2016 04:51 AM    Msg. 6 of 36       
Halo 5 rips yet? Do want.


Super Flanker
Joined: Oct 5, 2012

I bet you taste good at night.


Posted: Sep 9, 2016 05:06 AM    Msg. 7 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
If I ever get back into map making.


Everyone ever.


The Master
Joined: Aug 8, 2014

~En Lepanto la victoria y la muerte en Trafalgar~


Posted: Sep 9, 2016 09:14 AM    Msg. 8 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
If I ever get back into map making.


Everyone ever.


^


Skidrow925
Joined: Mar 19, 2010

Arrested Pvt. -1st Class


Posted: Sep 9, 2016 01:36 PM    Msg. 9 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Master
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
If I ever get back into map making.


Everyone ever.


^


Pretty much yeah


Noble Six ROCKS
Joined: Oct 22, 2015

ALL FEAR THE GAUSSHOG!!!!


Posted: Sep 16, 2016 10:32 AM    Msg. 10 of 36       
So, has anyone actually played the H5 PC port? I was wondering if it was good, before I spend a ton of money on upgrading my laptop (there are other games - but if Halo 5 isn't good none of them are worth that much).

It certainly looks good, so if we could rip the models those might be some nice maps.


Jesse
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Discord: Jesse#4500


Posted: Sep 16, 2016 01:03 PM    Msg. 11 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Noble Six ROCKS
So, has anyone actually played the H5 PC port? I was wondering if it was good, before I spend a ton of money on upgrading my laptop (there are other games - but if Halo 5 isn't good none of them are worth that much).

It certainly looks good, so if we could rip the models those might be some nice maps.


I'm trying to install W10 on my laptop but I am having various issues.

Mainly that I can't seem to partition my 250 GB SDD into two, one for W7 and one for W10. (Available shrink space is 311 MB :/ )


The Master
Joined: Aug 8, 2014

~En Lepanto la victoria y la muerte en Trafalgar~


Posted: Sep 16, 2016 01:44 PM    Msg. 12 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Quote: --- Original message by: Noble Six ROCKS
So, has anyone actually played the H5 PC port? I was wondering if it was good, before I spend a ton of money on upgrading my laptop (there are other games - but if Halo 5 isn't good none of them are worth that much).

It certainly looks good, so if we could rip the models those might be some nice maps.


I'm trying to install W10 on my laptop but I am having various issues.

Mainly that I can't seem to partition my 250 GB SDD into two, one for W7 and one for W10. (Available shrink space is 311 MB :/ )
You mean it's almost full or?


Jesse
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Discord: Jesse#4500


Posted: Sep 16, 2016 03:15 PM    Msg. 13 of 36       
I have a 250 GB SSD and it's got about 200 GB free. W7 has some system files or something that don't let me shrink the drive, and so I can't partition it to install W10. I'd like to split the drive in 2.

It might not seem Halo CE related, but the main reason I keep W7 is for 3dsmax 8, and the reason why I want W10 is for Halo 5.
Edited by Jesse on Sep 16, 2016 at 03:17 PM

I am considering buying another 250 GB SSD for windows 10. Or maybe I can split that one for the OSs, and the second SSD can hold some games (my 1TB HDD can hold everything else)
Edited by Jesse on Sep 16, 2016 at 03:52 PM


Super Flanker
Joined: Oct 5, 2012

I bet you taste good at night.


Posted: Sep 16, 2016 04:35 PM    Msg. 14 of 36       
Have you considered running win7 via a usb???


Jesse
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Discord: Jesse#4500


Posted: Sep 16, 2016 05:14 PM    Msg. 15 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Have you considered running win7 via a usb???


Not particularly, but I did just buy a 3 pack of 8 GB flashdrives for installing W10 (and extras just incase).

For some reason, the W10 media creation tool wouldn't detect my external HDD, or my Memory Card adapter (for the micro SD Cards).

It was then that I realized I do not have any other external media drives D:

And now I think i'll begin the long, boring process of copying 700GB+ data into my external, and installing W10 on the HDD. I don't even know anymore. I'd like to install another W7 and upgrade that, but idk.


The Master
Joined: Aug 8, 2014

~En Lepanto la victoria y la muerte en Trafalgar~


Posted: Sep 16, 2016 05:16 PM    Msg. 16 of 36       
What software are you using to partition it? Are you trying to move the system reserved partition? Can you post pics of the disk partitioning?


Jesse
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Discord: Jesse#4500


Posted: Sep 16, 2016 06:33 PM    Msg. 17 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Master
What software are you using to partition it? Are you trying to move the system reserved partition? Can you post pics of the disk partitioning?


I use default windows tools. I reduced the page file size, turned off hibernation and all that good stuff, but apparently there are unmovable system files that prevent me from shrinking the current partition. If it matters, it's the same partition/drive as the active OS.


Jaz
Joined: Mar 21, 2010

[Insert sarcastic comment here]


Posted: Sep 17, 2016 12:07 PM    Msg. 18 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Quote: --- Original message by: The Master
What software are you using to partition it? Are you trying to move the system reserved partition? Can you post pics of the disk partitioning?


I use default windows tools. I reduced the page file size, turned off hibernation and all that good stuff, but apparently there are unmovable system files that prevent me from shrinking the current partition. If it matters, it's the same partition/drive as the active OS.


Just use MiniTool Partition Wizard. If there are any system files that the tool can't move while Windows is open(because the OS is using them), then MiniTool can launch it's own standalone boot program outside of Windows to complete the partitioning process. Windows' built-in tool can't do that, so it just gets confused and tells you it's impossible. (MiniTool is also much more efficient and easier to use)


The Master
Joined: Aug 8, 2014

~En Lepanto la victoria y la muerte en Trafalgar~


Posted: Sep 17, 2016 12:24 PM    Msg. 19 of 36       
^ If that doesn't work you could also use Easeus Partition Master, you can do preety much anything on a normal user level without paying a cent, and you can install it on a USB if you mess up your partitions by accident.


Skidrow925
Joined: Mar 19, 2010

Arrested Pvt. -1st Class


Posted: Sep 17, 2016 04:53 PM    Msg. 20 of 36       
Acronis is good too, if you have any WD hard drives, but Easeus is also nice


Jesse
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Discord: Jesse#4500


Posted: Sep 17, 2016 07:11 PM    Msg. 21 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Quote: --- Original message by: The Master
What software are you using to partition it? Are you trying to move the system reserved partition? Can you post pics of the disk partitioning?


I use default windows tools. I reduced the page file size, turned off hibernation and all that good stuff, but apparently there are unmovable system files that prevent me from shrinking the current partition. If it matters, it's the same partition/drive as the active OS.


Just use MiniTool Partition Wizard. If there are any system files that the tool can't move while Windows is open(because the OS is using them), then MiniTool can launch it's own standalone boot program outside of Windows to complete the partitioning process. Windows' built-in tool can't do that, so it just gets confused and tells you it's impossible. (MiniTool is also much more efficient and easier to use)


Thanks, this one worked exactly as I needed it! Thanks to everyone else also, I appreciate the help.



As you can see, I have the C:\ drive (hdd) for storage, the W7 drive contains... Windows 7, and the W10 partition contains Windows 10 with enough space for GTA V and Halo 5.

I just need to make sure I get the Anniversary updates for W10 and get around to actually activating it. That last bit will be tough since my Laptop came with W8, but no key that I could see. If someone knew something about that, I'd appreciate knowing!

I can't wait to play Halo 5 on pc :o

-steam: jesse7770

Edited by Jesse on Sep 17, 2016 at 07:21 PM


Twinreaper
Joined: Jun 5, 2010


Posted: Sep 17, 2016 09:54 PM    Msg. 22 of 36       
^^ So what are you looking for? A Windows 8 or Windows 10 product key? If the answer is yes, I have quite a few unused ones in MSDN account. I would be happy to give you one.


Jesse
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Discord: Jesse#4500


Posted: Sep 17, 2016 10:24 PM    Msg. 23 of 36       
After a big update, my W10 is legit on my laptop. I guess it detected the BIOS code or something after all and it activated it for me. I am now downloading Halo 5 and I look forward to playing with anyone and everyone!


Super Flanker
Joined: Oct 5, 2012

I bet you taste good at night.


Posted: Sep 18, 2016 12:33 PM    Msg. 24 of 36       
It's so annoying when they advertise 1000gb when in actuality it's more like 935 or something close to it.

I wonder if anyone has ever successfully claimed damages against this sort of false marketing......


Skidrow925
Joined: Mar 19, 2010

Arrested Pvt. -1st Class


Posted: Sep 18, 2016 01:16 PM    Msg. 25 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
It's so annoying when they advertise 1000gb when in actuality it's more like 935 or something close to it.

I wonder if anyone has ever successfully claimed damages against this sort of false marketing......


It's not false marketing. You aren't buying 1000GB, your buying 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. Because Windows in terms of powers of 1024, you need 1024^4 bytes. Hard drives are measured in powers of 1000. So it's 1000^4. Apparently there's technically a different set of prefixes that are proper and all for powers of 1024, and use kibi, mebi, etc.

That made no sense but I'm sure you can fiure it out.


Super Flanker
Joined: Oct 5, 2012

I bet you taste good at night.


Posted: Sep 18, 2016 01:25 PM    Msg. 26 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
It's so annoying when they advertise 1000gb when in actuality it's more like 935 or something close to it.

I wonder if anyone has ever successfully claimed damages against this sort of false marketing......


It's not false marketing. You aren't buying 1000GB, your buying 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. Because Windows in terms of powers of 1024, you need 1024^4 bytes. Hard drives are measured in powers of 1000. So it's 1000^4. Apparently there's technically a different set of prefixes that are proper and all for powers of 1024, and use kibi, mebi, etc.

That made no sense but I'm sure you can fiure it out.


Pretty sure software and firmware have something to do with it too.....


Jesse
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Discord: Jesse#4500


Posted: Sep 18, 2016 01:56 PM    Msg. 27 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
It's so annoying when they advertise 1000gb when in actuality it's more like 935 or something close to it.

I wonder if anyone has ever successfully claimed damages against this sort of false marketing......


It's not false marketing. You aren't buying 1000GB, your buying 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. Because Windows in terms of powers of 1024, you need 1024^4 bytes. Hard drives are measured in powers of 1000. So it's 1000^4. Apparently there's technically a different set of prefixes that are proper and all for powers of 1024, and use kibi, mebi, etc.

That made no sense but I'm sure you can fiure it out.


It's basically what Super Flanker said. My mac shows the actual (advertised) space on all drives. My 2TB external actually shows as 2TB. It's not that the Mac can use more space, but it just measures it differently. Similar to how 10 Km is 6 Miles.


Noble Six ROCKS
Joined: Oct 22, 2015

ALL FEAR THE GAUSSHOG!!!!


Posted: Sep 21, 2016 09:12 PM    Msg. 28 of 36       
So... good recommendations for buying video cards and drives at a good price? Like I said, need to upgrade for H5, but I don't know where to start looking on a limited budget.


Masters1337
Joined: Mar 5, 2006

halonaminator's unfortunate idol


Posted: Sep 21, 2016 09:22 PM    Msg. 29 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
I've always thought Forge was a cool prototyping tool (not a great map making tool until 5).

If I ever get back into map making I was thinking of remaking some great forge maps that's come out over the years.

What maps did you make?


EtchyaSketch
Joined: Apr 11, 2014

S P I N


Posted: Sep 21, 2016 09:30 PM    Msg. 30 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Noble Six ROCKS
So... good recommendations for buying video cards and drives at a good price? Like I said, need to upgrade for H5, but I don't know where to start looking on a limited budget.

Depends on your budget. If you want future proofing for a few years worth the 1080/1070 aren't a bad place to start. The price/performance makes it a solid get.


Skidrow925
Joined: Mar 19, 2010

Arrested Pvt. -1st Class


Posted: Sep 21, 2016 09:51 PM    Msg. 31 of 36       
I would suggest AMDs card personally, they are less expensive, and there seems to be a slight trend in their favor right now. As far as hard drives, don't skimp. Best reccomendation is WD Cavier Black. They don't fail, but if they do, you can send them in, they come with 5yr warrenty. Back to graphics, the RX470 or 480 are a solid sub $200 choice. More money can be invested in a 1070/80, but that's only if you want what's highest tier for the moment.


EtchyaSketch
Joined: Apr 11, 2014

S P I N


Posted: Sep 21, 2016 10:02 PM    Msg. 32 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
I've always thought Forge was a cool prototyping tool (not a great map making tool until 5).

If I ever get back into map making I was thinking of remaking some great forge maps that's come out over the years.

What maps did you make?

Awful bloodgulch mods & kiddies first time using Max box maps.
Edited by EtchyaSketch on Sep 21, 2016 at 10:03 PM


Alex
Joined: Apr 22, 2016

I'll be back.


Posted: Sep 22, 2016 08:32 AM    Msg. 33 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
What maps did you make?



4k water plane type maps.


Jesse
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Discord: Jesse#4500


Posted: Sep 22, 2016 01:09 PM    Msg. 34 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Alex
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
What maps did you make?



4k water plane type maps.


That doesn't really make sense.

Do you mean they were 4KM wide/long?


Super Flanker
Joined: Oct 5, 2012

I bet you taste good at night.


Posted: Sep 22, 2016 04:16 PM    Msg. 35 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Alex
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
What maps did you make?



4k water plane type maps.


That doesn't really make sense.

Do you mean they were 4KM wide/long?


40964096

 
Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

 
Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread





Time: Mon April 24, 2017 5:25 AM 281 ms.
A Halo Maps Website