A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Unknown tool error] Tried to add more elements for a structure_bsp

Author Topic: [Unknown tool error] Tried to add more elements for a structure_bsp (3 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Oct 17, 2016 02:49 PM    Msg. 1 of 3       
I can't give many details on the bsp save these:

. Uses OS (For legitimate reasons)
. Exported .jms using junglegym
. No offending topology
. Uses some exact portals.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>os_tool structure levels\amap\amap amap
Building intermediate geometry...
Building collision geometry...
Reducing collision geometry...
Buidling collision bsp...
Reducing collision bsp...
Verifying collision geometry...
Verifying collision bsp...
Building portals...
Building render geometry...
Building subclusters...
Tried to add more elements for a structure_bsp_subcluster_block @0A102FF4 #4096 than allowed
Couldn't allocate subcluster.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>

I should mention that the "tried to add" syntax line repeats 36 times, I didn't bother including the repetitions because it would just clutter up this op.

Interestingly enough when exporting the bsp using bluestreak tool refuses to process the .jms file completely citing this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>os_tool structure levels\amap\amap amap
EAX: 0x00000000
EBX: 0x05193301
ECX: 0x00000000
EDX: 0x00000000
EDI: 0x0018F1EB
ESI: 0x00000000
EBP: 0x0018F0C0
ESP: 0x0018F0B4
EIP: 0x778ED04C, C2 08 00 90 ?????EXCEPTION halt in .\intermediate_geometry.c,#444: triangle->material_index>=0 && triangle ->material_index<old_material_count

What confuses me completely is the fact that the when compiling the same bsp exported using bobbysoon's jmsexporter104e tool has no problem at all save a few mysterious coplanar faces which aren't flagged when compiling the junglegym exported version of the SAME level.

Building collision geometry...
Reducing collision geometry...
Buidling collision bsp...
### WARNING found nearly coplanar surfaces <red and green>
Reducing collision bsp...
Verifying collision geometry...
Verifying collision bsp...
Building portals...
Building render geometry...
Building subclusters...
Building pvs... building pvs... building structure lens flares...done

Structure bsp "levels\amap\amap\amap"
BSP has 37889 nodes, 19332 leaves
23825 surfaces and 32972 vertices in 13 material groups 11 portals, 1 clusters
2352kb collision data <185kb vertices, 709kb edges, 214kb surfaces>
2539kb render data <1313kb vertices, 588kb surfaces, 524kb nodes/leaves, 109kb clusters>
0kb pathfinding data
------------------------
5317kb <without debug information

Edited by Super Flanker on Oct 17, 2016 at 02:50 PM

OrangeJuice

halohek.pbworks.com

Posted: Oct 17, 2016 03:20 PM    Msg. 2 of 3       
If you have untextured areas in your map, give them a quick UVW map(quick as in: just lazily select UVW map and then reconvert it to mesh or whatever). I get that weird assembly looking error when I make untextured stuff, probably because the untextured stuff has like infinite coordinates or something dumb like that

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Oct 17, 2016 06:51 PM    Msg. 3 of 3       
Yup this is another one of those threads wherein op desperatly reaches out for help only to fix his problem minutes later......

It seems that I had too many individual sub object elements within my scene.

In my case I unlinked an object containing 113 individual elements (totalling up to 300 triangles exactly) from the frame node.

To dumb that down a little, essentially I had too many individual sub object elements collectively in my max scene.

To further summarize a sub object element can be any shape, size or detail count, (in 3d terms) the key to remember here is that they are classified as "individual elements" because they are not physically attached to any other parts of their respective objects.

Instead they exist as individual entities much like what children are to a parent. (In relationary terms)

Incase you were wondering the sub object elements in question were a group of transparent planes meant to be disguised as tree decals.

I should also mention that within my scene I had additional elements which could be catgorized in the form of light strips and other decals all designed to be rendered in game without collision.
("Render only")

It seems that collectively all of these elements no matter where they were or what object they were apart of exceeded the amount that tool could process which according to the debug is 4096.

By randomly unlinking an object from my frame (so they would not be exported) containing a hundred or so elements I reduced my global mesh element count, thus meeting the 4096 quota imposed by tool.

I feel it's worh noting that I could have removed any other elements within my scene and achieved the same result, just so long as I was left with less than 4096 of them linked to my frame prior to export.

So it seems ladies and gents that would be your answer, ensure you have less than 4096 mesh elements linked to your frame node and you shouldn't have to run into this particular error any time soon.

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
If you have untextured areas in your map, give them a quick UVW map(quick as in: just lazily select UVW map and then reconvert it to mesh or whatever). I get that weird assembly looking error when I make untextured stuff, probably because the untextured stuff has like infinite coordinates or something dumb like that

I added a quick uvw map modifier to the whole bsp and set the length, width and heighth to "100".

Unfortunately this had no effect whatsoever upon re-compilation within tool as I was met by the exact same error.

I'm not too discerned by this however, since I am not utilizing the bluestreak exporter within my workflow.

That's not to say I am not grateful for it's existence however!

Btw ceers for the bump OJ!

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue July 17, 2018 1:17 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website