A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo 4 Campaign

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Halo 4 Campaign (36 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

sbdjazz

-MISSING IN ACTION-

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 01:12 PM    Msg. 1 of 36       
I was following the Halo 4 campaign recently and was pretty much amazed. I wanted to experience it on PC either original (impossible) or in Halo ce (possible).

Given the number of talented modders on this site I think maybe we can build at least the first level. We have the CMT tags already, we have Matthew Dratt and Soi, excellent environment designers. Many really great 3DS max artists. Jafet Meza music and sound designer. And many more I can't name them all. What if we try to make a Halo 4 mod together? What do you think?

Roushyy

Character animator.

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 01:56 PM    Msg. 2 of 36       
It will never work. We couldn't even manage to port the Halo 2 campaign.

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 02:37 PM    Msg. 3 of 36       

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 03:01 PM    Msg. 4 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: SupaTrolol

/\

sbdjazz

-MISSING IN ACTION-

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 03:04 PM    Msg. 5 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3npWdie2X0

Quote: --- Original message by: SupaTrolol

See that's what I'm talking about. Its possible. I would say lets start with a small or tiny segment of the map and complete it and see how it works. I still have this gut feeling. Its not impossible. We also have open sauce.

Some guys have already done this thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6-Ul0fNWq8&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5oYsN-rdaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JczTW3qCz98
Edited by sbdjazz on Nov 5, 2016 at 03:12 PM

SBB_Michelle

This site brings me pain.

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 04:29 PM    Msg. 6 of 36       
a walkway of 10 meters in the halo 4 campaign contains at least a million triangles, which to me is more than enough of a reason not to do it.

Alex

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 05:21 PM    Msg. 7 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
a walkway of 10 meters in the halo 4 campaign contains at least a million triangles.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 05:24 PM    Msg. 8 of 36       
Do you have any idea of what map making involves

Super Flanker

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 05:58 PM    Msg. 9 of 36       
a walkway of 10 meters in the halo 4 campaign contains at least a million triangles, which to me is more than enough of a reason not to do it.

This is true.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 07:27 PM    Msg. 10 of 36       
How about port a good Halo campaign

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 10:40 PM    Msg. 11 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG
How about a good custom Halo campaign

I've been hungry for some custom SP stuff for so long
T_T

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 10:56 PM    Msg. 12 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
How about a good custom Halo campaign

I've been hungry for some custom SP stuff for so long
T_T

Same, that'd be nice.

ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

"If God is love, then you can call me Cupid"

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 01:05 AM    Msg. 13 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: sbdjazz
I was following the Halo 4 campaign recently and was pretty much amazed. I wanted to experience it on PC either original (impossible) or in Halo ce (possible).

https://youtu.be/6ll-_rxky2k?t=117

sbdjazz

-MISSING IN ACTION-

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 01:36 AM    Msg. 14 of 36       

No one has said that we have to make the exactly places in the exactly same way. We just keep the story same make the places almost similar. About graphics and details we already have tools that fake details like opensauce and reshade. We don't necessarily have to use a lot of polygons but we can fake minor details in the texture itself. I already made the dawn level in 3ds max but a bad guy formatted my PC to install windows 10. He was a jerk. So I stopped thinking about it for some days until I stumbled across the Halo 4 game play on youtube.

When ever some one create a Custom SP either he's on his own or a team of 2 or 3. But IFF we do it as all the members of the forum it is not impossible. Think of sierra 117, Lumoria, SPV3 and SOI's SP. It will be almost like an open source project where everyone contributes something. I believe everyone is good at something. I think its worth a try.

Look at these screenshots of SPV3. They don't have a lot of polygon count but still the graphics is amazing.

http://i.imgur.com/oF6VeKH.png
http://i.imgur.com/oF6VeKH

http://i.imgur.com/HIC8LQO.png
http://i.imgur.com/HIC8LQO.png

Edited by sbdjazz on Nov 6, 2016 at 01:10 AM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 02:18 AM    Msg. 15 of 36       
It should be worth mentioning me and Michelle worked on SPV3, so we know how it works.

Halo 4 also has a lot of scripted sequences that would be difficult to do.

I get the idea, I suppose, but honestly it's better to just do a better Halo 4, but at that rate you might aswell make something brand new.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 02:34 AM    Msg. 16 of 36       
The hard part would probably be the...

Actually, just about everything should be possible. Cutscenes probably won't be made, so we can exclude those right away.

OS can manipulate gravity.

Walkways don't HAVE to be 1M triangles per 10 meters, and dialogue can be ripped (for cortana and chief's parts)

The climbing sections may need some creativity or an alternative.

The moving debris toward the end can be vehicles animated to move, or moved by explosions or something.

Just don't expect the entire tagset, because that's likely not going to happen. You're more likely to get a third-party candidate as president.

It won't ever be "just like" Halo 4. You're more or less looking at something like The Floods map.
Edited by Jesse on Nov 6, 2016 at 02:35 AM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 02:50 AM    Msg. 17 of 36       
A few years ago, me and ZOBI3KING had the idea of rewriting Halo 4 and having it make a tad more sense, like Chief and Dawn having their old designs, Classic H3 era weapons at the beginning, and Chief getting his new armor at infinity, plot points like that.

IIRC, we wanted dawn to focus on more 0 G combat.

It's more worth just trying out the ideas in a new setting, IMO.
Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Nov 6, 2016 at 02:51 AM

sbdjazz

-MISSING IN ACTION-

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 03:37 AM    Msg. 18 of 36       
It should be worth mentioning me and Michelle worked on SPV3, so we know how it works.

Halo 4 also has a lot of scripted sequences that would be difficult to do.

I get the idea, I suppose, but honestly it's better to just do a better Halo 4, but at that rate you might aswell make something brand new.

We don't have to include scripted sequence if you mean the cinematics stuff. We can use bink video feature of Opensauce. And it doesn't has to be exactly Halo 4. Halo 4 had a lot of praise as well as a lot of hate due to limitations in the campaign that can be solved in Halo CE. eg. Lack of tactical options, lack of friendly AIs, etc.

Think like a magician. Halo 4 doesn't necessarily have a lot of details. Anyone who has play Dawn has noticed the dark areas in the game. Those are places you can't see clearly. And that's the trick. Dawn has very few bright point lights that only illuminate certain areas of the ship. It's only those areas that need a liiiiiitttttle more details but the rest doesn't.

Microsoft or 343 guys are not as hard working as you think. They provide a lot of visual effects (we have reshade) that fake details.

I have an idea you guys tell me what you think is impossible to implement and I tell you how it is possible, if not what are the alternatives. But still have this gut feeling that making Halo 4 isn't impossible if we all try together. As you see Jesse has already point it out. Thanks Jesse!
Edited by sbdjazz on Nov 6, 2016 at 03:38 AM

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 06:04 AM    Msg. 19 of 36       
Here's the deal,

343I consists out of extremely good graphics programmors, the reason why the game can look this good on xbox 360 is because of a lot (and I mean, A LOT) of techniques to optimize the game.

Halo CE doesn't have many optimiizations and especially limits, it would be hard to get even close to the art and graphics of halo 4
Edited by lolslayer on Nov 6, 2016 at 06:05 AM

sbdjazz

-MISSING IN ACTION-

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 06:20 AM    Msg. 20 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer

Here's the deal,

343I consists out of extremely good graphics programmors, the reason why the game can look this good on xbox 360 is because of a lot (and I mean, A LOT) of techniques to optimize the game.

Halo CE doesn't have many optimiizations and especially limits, it would be hard to get even close to the art and graphics of halo 4
Edited by lolslayer on Nov 6, 2016 at 06:05 AM

What if we try with an extremely small part (say two or three rooms) of dawn and see if we're getting what we need. But I need some you guys help in doing it. I'm still new to halo editing. And if it is a success we think of a full Halo 4 campaign.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 12:39 PM    Msg. 21 of 36       
You have no idea how long that would take.

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 12:54 PM    Msg. 22 of 36       
The problem is that we have unrealistically detailed "" tags "" but terrible DirectX-7 era BSPs and no good BSP modelers still around.

New tags look out of place in a BSP
Edited by OrangeJuice on Nov 6, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Halonimator

https://imgur.com/ZBjOJ4L

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 05:08 PM    Msg. 23 of 36       
I can port some h3-hr BSP clusters to halo ce. Port or recreate the animations and cinematics arent easy.

My modelling skills improved since the last map i made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGKtG4NICW8

last to bsp's are from reach the ones before are custom

343i doesnt make the maps the same way bungie did. 343i only cares about graphics and their shtty art style.

Recommendations: -m20(ONI Sword Base) is the least detailed Halo reach level.
Edited by Halonimator on Nov 6, 2016 at 05:46 PM
Edited by Halonimator on Nov 6, 2016 at 05:48 PM

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 06:05 PM    Msg. 24 of 36       
looking pretty good there halonimator you have made some big improvements.

@OP 343 builds their maps using instance geometry. essentially tons of scenery pieces. which is a big nono in ce and would cause ridiculously large amounts of errors. converting the maps to sealed pieces of geometry would be a massive undertaking so no, its not worth it. we have some good bsp modelers left but most of them are busy with their own projects or have left the forums out of frustration.

SBB_Michelle

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 06:17 PM    Msg. 25 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Alex
a walkway of 10 meters in the halo 4 campaign contains at least a million triangles.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/10/4b/67/104b679f9ac62a5809968628e593b7ee.jpg

I did overstate a little, but with numbers these big it doesn't really matter.

It says 650'000+
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Nov 6, 2016 at 06:18 PM

Corpen

Sierra 612 - DIAC - "Why are we here?"

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 06:17 PM    Msg. 26 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: killzone64
looking pretty good there halonimator you have made some big improvements.

@OP 343 builds their maps using instance geometry. essentially tons of scenery pieces. which is a big nono in ce and would cause ridiculously large amounts of errors. converting the maps to sealed pieces of geometry would be a massive undertaking so no, its not worth it. we have some good bsp modelers left but most of them are busy with their own projects or have left the forums out of frustration.

I

The Master

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 07:15 PM    Msg. 27 of 36       

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/10/4b/67/104b679f9ac62a5809968628e593b7ee.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Asarvp2.jpg

It says 650'000+
They need less round stuffs, it doesn't even match the artstyle on Bungie's games.

tanju77

Doing moderator's job

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 03:29 AM    Msg. 28 of 36       
Can I request for some Halo 3 campaign port? Not just sierra 117 but, all the missions?

Or some custom stuff?

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 03:36 AM    Msg. 29 of 36       
Honestly if there's any Halo campaign I want ported for me it has to be ODSTs, atleast the Mombasa streets.

Super Flanker

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 06:00 AM    Msg. 30 of 36       
At this point I feel it neccassary to further convolute your meaningless conversation regarding budget estimations by reminding you that triangle and polygonal density counts are actually not what you should be paying attention to if you are wanting to determine the ACTUAL rendering impact of your bsp.

OctaVinyl

¡Voy A comer tù corazon!

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 08:35 AM    Msg. 31 of 36       
I've had this idea before as well, to see if H4 was going to be a good port to CE.
Sadly I had to give it up and just coordinate with what everyone is saying. Despite the numbers and knowledge, I'll just say that it won't happen. ODST and H3 will still be fine though, considering that we have some being worked on. Halo 4 May probably not be ideal to such.

SBB_Michelle

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 08:57 AM    Msg. 32 of 36       
How about instead of porting something you can play perfectly fine somewhere else, just make something new? I mean, use rips all you want, but don't let your creativity go to waste by remaking something exactly. Make a new story, make new levels!

That said, I would still love to play sierra 117 as a little proof of power of ce.

The Master

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 09:33 AM    Msg. 33 of 36       
How about instead of porting something you can play perfectly fine somewhere else, just make something new? I mean, use rips all you want, but don't let your creativity go to waste by remaking something exactly. Make a new story, make new levels!

That said, I would still love to play sierra 117 as a little proof of power of ce.
The reason people make ports of other games is because a lot of people can't afford to buy a console. 99% of latino players like them because of that, but y'all may have forgotten what it is not being able to play whatever you want and having a crappy PC because you can't afford anything better and either your parents don't have the money or don't want to spend it on useless stuff.

I played Halo 3 for the first time when the One came out. Before that I could only afford to play crappy "ports" and download fake emulators.
Edited by The Master on Nov 7, 2016 at 09:35 AM

sbdjazz

-MISSING IN ACTION-

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 11:21 AM    Msg. 34 of 36       

It says 650'000+

Did you make that model of DAWN? Then WOW! The polygon count ie. 650000+, is it a good thing or a bad thing? if its good can you share me your model?

I'm indeed making my model from scratch. Frankly speaking, it doesn't follow the art style of 343, and would have a much less triangles. The only thing I will try to improve is the lighting quality using opensauce and textures that fake details. I have also never compiled maps in os. It would be better if some one gives me a direction. Thanks in advance.

Super Flanker

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 12:19 PM    Msg. 35 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: sbdjazz

It says 650'000+

Did you make that model of DAWN? Then WOW! The polygon count ie. 650000+, is it a good thing or a bad thing? if its good can you share me your model?

The model was ripped from the game files.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue August 20, 2019 11:16 AM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website