A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »The ever obnoxious sound tag exception; any solutions?

Author Topic: The ever obnoxious sound tag exception; any solutions? (3 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Ling Ling Lang

Are you finding Ling Ling?

Posted: Nov 20, 2016 02:02 PM    Msg. 1 of 3       
I've been getting an exception in Sapien that prevents me from actually loading ANY maps. debug.txt tells me that its this:

EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\sound\sound_manager.c,#3304: gain>=0.f && gain<=1

Now please, save yourself the time and energy of coming to the conclusion that there is something actually wrong with a tag. There isn't.

https://www.google.com/#q=+EXCEPTION+halt+in+%5Chalopc%5Chaloce%5Csource%5Csound%5Csound_manager.c%2C%233304:+gain>%3D0.f+%26%26+gain<%3D1

As you can see, many others have encountered the same problem, and no actual purging of sound tags seems to fix anything. Sapien seems to simply crash if ANY sound tag is played, and wonderfully enough, restarting your computer actually fixes the issue for a time. This, however, isn't a great solution for me, as the exception seems to creep back into Sapien after some unspecific but relatively short amount of time. One person resorted to removing every sound tag from his map until right before they compiled, but that honestly seems a little extreme. Does anyone know of a way of correcting this permanently?

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Nov 20, 2016 03:27 PM    Msg. 2 of 3       
Short answer no.

Infact pretty sure Altis had the same problem and his solution was as you mentioned to restart the pc.

Just out of curiosity have you tried opening the scenerio (and relevant files) with different hard ware components?

(A totally different pc with any specifications which don't mirror your standard computer)

Again just out of passing interest have you tried any alternatives to vanilla sapien to see if the problem persists? (Ahobo, OS Sapien, DE sapien)

Edit:

You've probably seen this before but I thought I'd repost it incase others hadn't:

"one of the sound tags in that map has a gain over 1. Sapien doesn't like that. Look through the sound tags and see which tag it is."

Now this may sound a little ambitious but I believe it is certainly doable to execute a batch command or even script a bot to manually manipulate every sound tag in your directory and through guerilla set the gain to say 0.05 (for testing purposes) and lastly save out the tag.

How long this would take depends on how optimized the supposed batch script is and of course how many sound files you have in your directory.

Just to clarify this approach is only useful in order to weed out the one or two offending files that may exist, as opposed to taking the time to search through every single sound tag and adjusting the gain value by hand I think you can agree it is moderately sensible if it can be pulled off that is....

Edited by Super Flanker on Nov 20, 2016 at 04:41 PM

Ling Ling Lang

Are you finding Ling Ling?

Posted: Nov 20, 2016 07:11 PM    Msg. 3 of 3       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Short answer no.

Infact pretty sure Altis had the same problem and his solution was as you mentioned to restart the pc.

Just out of curiosity have you tried opening the scenerio (and relevant files) with different hard ware components?

Yes, it works just fine on other hardware, although I haven't tested it extensively because I usually lack access to said other hardware.

Again just out of passing interest have you tried any alternatives to vanilla sapien to see if the problem persists? (Ahobo, OS Sapien, DE sapien)

I use korn's guerrilla and sapien quite regularly. It suffers from the same problem. I'm not terribly optimistic, but I will certainly give the variants a try.

You've probably seen this before but I thought I'd repost it incase others hadn't:

"one of the sound tags in that map has a gain over 1. Sapien doesn't like that. Look through the sound tags and see which tag it is."

Now this may sound a little ambitious but I believe it is certainly doable to execute a batch command or even script a bot to manually manipulate every sound tag in your directory and through guerilla set the gain to say 0.05 (for testing purposes) and lastly save out the tag.

How long this would take depends on how optimized the supposed batch script is and of course how many sound files you have in your directory.

Just to clarify this approach is only useful in order to weed out the one or two offending files that may exist, as opposed to taking the time to search through every single sound tag and adjusting the gain value by hand I think you can agree it is moderately sensible if it can be pulled off that is....

I already suspected that maybe HEK+ was botching some extracted tag values like it likes to do with AI grenade velocities, so I tested and manipulated a completely clean install of HEK to try and open tutorial.scenario, but I never managed it. I was only able to open tutorial after restarting my computer.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed July 24, 2019 5:59 AM 157 ms.
A Halo Maps Website