A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »I'm putting together a modding team for Halo CE.

Author Topic: I'm putting together a modding team for Halo CE. (35 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 10:03 AM    Msg. 1 of 35       
Essentially, I've decided to get knee deep into Halo CE modding, and in a fit of lunacy, I've decided to attempt to top SPV3 by making a complete remake of Halo's 1-3 in Halo CE's engine.

For now I'm just modelling vehicles and whatnot, but I'm awful at texturing, thus for now I need someone to help me with that. You don't necessarily have to be a great Halo CE modder, as I said, I'm new to this myself.

If your interested, PM me.

Oh, and do be warned, I have a bad habit of redesigning things a fair bit, I try to keep the general theme of the object I'm modelling alive, but I like to add my own touches to things.

Alex

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 11:47 AM    Msg. 2 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: NeX
The problem with this type of thread is that the amount of devs still around and active here is fairly low. Of that number, most of them are already wrapped up in their own projects, some of which have been going for years.
On top of that, the main reason that they are involved with their own projects, is that they have the expertise to see their own ideas come to life - rather than spend precious time working on the visions of others.

In general, you guys have (probably very good) ideas, but lack the know-how or experience to pull them off. Most developers start this way, and then they slowly build their working set of skills to help see those ideas through.

From what I can tell, you guys want to make at least 1 campaign mission, full of 100% custom content, and would like to "recruit" people with the skills to make that content for you. I'm really not sure what your roles in this would end up being? Just supplying the ideas while other people do literally all of the legwork? I don't think that will end well, just from the tension that would inevitably come from that sort of system. The guys making the content and scripting the encounters are going to have their own artistic vision, and....well, they'll just do it.

I'm not here trying to bash this left and right, just saying that this probably isn't the way to go about achieving your goals.

What I would recommend, instead, is going through the very ample tag collection that already exists for this engine, and trying to tinker with it and get things working while gaining knowledge. If your ideas are feasible, then help will come. You can post here all the time with questions, and 9 times out of 10, people will jump up to help.

The difference is, that with this scenario, you are going to be actively gaining knowledge and experience by trying to create your vision - which is the heart of being a game dev in the first place, and is the biggest key to getting any kind of respect around here.

Even if the stuff you start to make is garbage (and it always will be, at first), people will see that you're dedicated enough to put time and effort into even a small facsimile of your initial goals, and that will probably draw people in.

If you can start getting a "tagset" together from all of the existing content here (there is a good bit of ODST, from models to VISR to HUD), and get something in working order, using the existing stuff as placeholder, you will be able to easily swap out the old stuff in favor of new things if/when someone makes them for you, or you can get new team members on board.

There are an infinite amount of tutorials around here to get started, and heck, you already have Nickster5000 offering to help if he can. I'm sure there are others who would be willing as well.

I know you guys are in that "exciting idea-board" phase of the project, where the possibilities seem endless and fantastic, but don't overlook the grueling months or years ahead of you working on this project - because you aren't devs yourselves, of course that isn't going to factor in yet. How could it until you experience it?

Most devs here will immediately think "is this feasible, how long will it take, will the final product be worth the time spent?", and unless all of those answers are a solid yes (and sometimes not even then), this won't end up anywhere but on paper.

Not trying to piss in your cheerios, I'm just trying to explain the potential pitfalls usually experienced from these threads of "I have an idea I need someone else to implement for me" that pop up here every week or so.

Good luck!

taken from a thread that is slightly different but main point still stands.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 11:55 AM    Msg. 3 of 35       
Eh, I see your point.

As I said above though, I wasn't planning on making others do all the legwork. I am modelling stuff.

Alex

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 12:39 PM    Msg. 4 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: theshadow0222
Eh, I see your point.

As I said above though, I wasn't planning on making others do all the legwork. I am modelling stuff.

If you are modeling stuff and enjoying it and actually getting somewhere then that's great.
I'm just concerned about you trying to remake 3 campaigns in a 15 year old game engine by yourself.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 01:12 PM    Msg. 5 of 35       
You have no idea how difficult that is.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 01:16 PM    Msg. 6 of 35       
Hey, I don't play on anything lower then legendary. :)

MatthewDratt

TAKEDOWN IS OUT MattDratt.com

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 01:17 PM    Msg. 7 of 35       
I can't even make a modding team and like at least 4 people actually like me. Hard to make happen.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 01:20 PM    Msg. 8 of 35       
I have a modding team and it's taken us already close to 3 years to develop a tagset.

Also, Dratt couldn't even do one level from Halo 3 oops.

I don't get what's so appealing about this idea of "let's port all the Halo's!"

How to get Halo 1-4 campaign (NO SCAM)

Step 1: Buy Xbox 360
Step 2: Buy Halo

WOAHHHH WHAT THE HELL ITS HALO 2 AND 3 AAAAAAAA
Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Nov 26, 2016 at 01:22 PM

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 01:26 PM    Msg. 9 of 35       
Eh, to hell with porting, what I have in my is a lot more ambitious. And 3 years to develop a tagset... I won't run out of things to do then, will I?

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 01:28 PM    Msg. 10 of 35       
tagset plus levels:

Oh, did I mention that 3 years in and I'm still not even halfway done oops so let's make that even longer
Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Nov 26, 2016 at 01:29 PM

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 01:32 PM    Msg. 11 of 35       
So, if it's soooo difficult that you're trying to talk me out of doing it, why are you doing it? Eh. You did say you're working on a tagset, that pile of bones is therefore as much you as it is me.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 01:37 PM    Msg. 12 of 35       
A tagset is not the same as 3 single player campaigns.

Where did you even come from anyway, and why should anyone join this team if there's seemingly no background knowledge on anything you've ever done?

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 01:53 PM    Msg. 13 of 35       
I came from thin air... and thus, my background is as my shadow, being all shadowy... hmm, my poetry skills could use work.

Seriously though, I am new, I believe I stated this in my OP. And I did specifically say you didn't have to be good at CE modding, implying my offer was directed (although not exclusive, mind you) at other newbies such as myself, to hone skills and whatnot for one, and two to have a chance to recreate halo.

You don't like the offer, I'm not forcing you to join, (I physically can't, so that should go without saying.)

I admit, it's a crazy big project for a beginner, but I reckon I could do it, especially if I do it one mission at a time.

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 02:54 PM    Msg. 14 of 35       
You should probably listen to people who have experience with HCE modding. What you're trying to do would take many many years to accomplish, do you really have enough motivation for that? I'm quite sure you will give up after a week or so.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 03:05 PM    Msg. 15 of 35       
I am listening, but telling me to give up before that week is over is just pointless. I believe I'll be able to keep going past that week and if I'm wrong, then I'll give up, but not before my week is up.

I want my week goddamnit!
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 26, 2016 at 03:06 PM

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 03:52 PM    Msg. 16 of 35       
Um... what gives you that idea?

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 04:10 PM    Msg. 17 of 35       
Hm... I like this guy. I shall let him speak, before the three-horned beasts rip him rib from rib.

Alex

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 04:38 PM    Msg. 18 of 35       
At least show some WIP images of your modelling work.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 06:18 PM    Msg. 19 of 35       
What people are trying to tell you here is to start small and not like, an entire collection of games large. You need to start with small, attainable goals and aim to complete them.

Take a concept you really want to get working(either a custom level, weapon, vehicle, or character) and work on that. Just that one thing will take you days or weeks to get it to just where you want it if you have some experience in modding(possibly months if you're a complete newbie).

Learn from it, improve it, look at others work on here and get ideas. See if you can take any knowledge from people and their work here to help you improve. Download tags and open them in the editors to see how people did what they did. If they're not available for download cause you saw them in a map, then try using one of the many available map rippers to get the tags.

When you've got a decent bit of stuff behind you to show what you're capable of(and preferably stuff related to what you're actually trying to accomplish overall) THEN you can make a thread like this asking people to help you out.

Everyone here started out just where you are at some point(I was a lot worse in that I had a stuck up attitude, but now look at me writing a Guerilla replacement lol), so take our advice and assess yourself to decide where you want to start and what you need to learn.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Nov 26, 2016 at 06:20 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 06:27 PM    Msg. 20 of 35       
I wanna see where this guy ends up

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 10:25 PM    Msg. 21 of 35       
All the campaigns?
Start smaller. WAAAAAAAAAY smaller.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 11:22 PM    Msg. 22 of 35       
@MosesofEgypt, I do see what your getting at, I really do, and I'm planning on making each level it's own separate project in a way, so that cuts it down into bite sized chunks, and I was planning on doing drafts before the final version and so forth.

And @Super Alex, sure. For now, these are WIP and don't have any of the technical bits that'll make them work in engine, so it's just a model. And as I said in the OP, I do... redesign things a bit.

M808E Scorpion Jumbo:
Essentially, my working here is the scorpion as a main battle tank is awful, it's a great and memorable tank from a gaming perspective and I love it, don't get me wrong, but it's realistically a death trap, originally my plan was to design it to hold up to modern MBT's like the Abrams, but those models all looked awful.

Eventually, I came up with an idea, what if the scorpion seen in game was a modification of the old scorpion, with a gun like twice the size of the one the tank originally carried, to house an EMP device in the shell that allowed it penetrate covenant shields, such as those I'm planning to stick on the wraith at the moment. Hence explaining the insane size of the scorpion. (It's similar in concept to the WW2 Russian KV-2 tank, which was essentially a bobblehead.)

M12 Warthog:
My redesigns here a also quite noticeable, I added pocket doors and a roof, (I was originally planning on making it a hardtop convertible too, but figured that was a tad insane.)

Currently, I have three turreted variants, an Anti-Air Gun (Chaingun equivalent), a Anti-Tank Gun (Gauss equivalent), both of which are uploaded, and a Rocket hog, as well as a Troop Transport and two different Warthogs that carry supplies (mostly a cosmetic vehicle) and the standard flatbed.

Images can be found here: http://theshadow0222.deviantart.com/
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 26, 2016 at 11:29 PM

Pepzee

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 02:49 AM    Msg. 23 of 35       
I recommend you rethink your goals. Shooting for the moon is fine, but going for the sun might leave you burned.

I have had plenty of massive projects collapse, even with teams of the most talented people on Halomaps. Big projects are not as fun to make as they are to play.

Try joining an existing project and contributing to it. You'll gain experience and skills to use on your own project later on.
Edited by Pepzee on Nov 27, 2016 at 02:50 AM

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 03:11 AM    Msg. 24 of 35       
If this falls through like you say it will, I'll shelf it and follow your advice, but you don't learn the stove is hot if you don't touch it.

Pepzee

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 03:17 AM    Msg. 25 of 35       
I don't predict complete failure. I try to stay optimistic that most projects will be completed. But experience tells me otherwise...

Eitherway, good luck. I am able to answer questions about single-player map scripting if you need it.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 03:19 AM    Msg. 26 of 35       
I mean...
You don't HAVE to touch it
You could feel warm air rising over the cool air
You could put a thermometer on the stove to measure the temperature itself
You could put a drop of water on the stove to see if it evaporates away

There are so many other ways than full out slamming your hand to burn

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 03:20 AM    Msg. 27 of 35       
@Pepzee Thanks. While I'm far from the scripting stage, can I ask for some critique on my current models, images of which can be found here.
http://theshadow0222.deviantart.com/

Also, @Spartan 314, don't break my metaphors!
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 27, 2016 at 03:22 AM

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 04:01 AM    Msg. 28 of 35       
Oy, metaphor breaking is extremely harmful, it can cause undue stress, comedic responses and in rare cases cancer of the thyroid!

You should NEVER break a persons metaphor!
:D
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 27, 2016 at 04:03 AM

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 05:45 AM    Msg. 29 of 35       
Yes, you can learn from your own mistakes but it's a whole lot more efficient learning from other people's mistakes.

Noble Six ROCKS

ALL FEAR THE GAUSSHOG!!!!

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 08:08 AM    Msg. 30 of 35       
There are a lot of great tags already out there. Maybe you should go in phases. Choose a particular game, and start by developing the levels using other people's tags - with their permission, of course. Then follow that up by replacing that stuff with your own tags. While you may not be able to get a good modding team together, it may be a lot easier to get some playtesters - which you should seek out regardless. Having someone else test your map is just like having someone else read your paper - they may point out flaws or something that you missed. Similarly, good playtesters will be able to tell what is cool about your work. There are plenty of experienced modders whom I am sure will be willing to offer advice, and some of them may be willing to explain a few of the tricks they use in maps.

Like some people are saying, you should probably start small. Go with one campaign, and get that somewhere you like it. I'm getting into modding myself, and once school gets out I plan to get to work on trying to recreate some of the stuff from Reach myself.

Regardless what you do, good luck dude! Also, one last word of advice - I have seen too many mods, regardless of what game they were for, get killed off by impatient fans or deadlines that were inappropriately set. Make this about having fun before giving fanservice. It will take a while, but if the focus is on fun and content then you will do fine. Having the campaigns from the other Halos would be great, so I hope you keep at it!

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 08:26 AM    Msg. 31 of 35       
Thanks and worry not, I'll keep at it.

ScarFOx

This twisted game needs to be reset - Pixy 1995

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 08:47 AM    Msg. 32 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
I can't even make a modding team and like at least 4 people actually like me. Hard to make happen.
I'm still going lone wolf aka lone fox. I'm still a noob at this moding stuff. If I had to work with someone the only thing I can do is change colors, Fix weapon damages, Fix model collisions: Learned that one my self when I was trying fix Cmt's pelican, be that one guy setting up small scripts, ai/vehicle placement etc. Just too hard to do by going lone fox

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 09:43 AM    Msg. 33 of 35       
I have been in this community for a decade at this point. I have seen the release of each Halo game and their subsequent effects on the modding community. I have seen phenomenal people come through this community who have gone on to work in the industry. I have been great friends with many of them and worked with some as well.

None were ever enthusiastic about recreating any Halo campaign in this 15 year old engine. It is not a simple task, and if it was then somebody would have done so by now.

With that said, I admire your dedication and confidence. I was the same when I was younger and by no means do I want to stifle your enthusiasm. Building your own copies of assets from the Halo games is honestly the best way to learn. My animations started as copies of Halo 3's animations, which to this day I still take massive inspiration from them. I merely encourage you to educate yourself and maintain a consciousness of the scope of the project and be a little realistic on what you can do with the time and motivation you have, or else you'll end up disappointed.

Halonimator

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 10:51 AM    Msg. 34 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODX
I have been in this community for a decade at this point. I have seen the release of each Halo game and their subsequent effects on the modding community. I have seen phenomenal people come through this community who have gone on to work in the industry. I have been great friends with many of them and worked with some as well.

None were ever enthusiastic about recreating any Halo campaign in this 15 year old engine. It is not a simple task, and if it was then somebody would have done so by now.

With that said, I admire your dedication and confidence. I was the same when I was younger and by no means do I want to stifle your enthusiasm. Building your own copies of assets from the Halo games is honestly the best way to learn. My animations started as copies of Halo 3's animations, which to this day I still take massive inspiration from them. I merely encourage you to educate yourself and maintain a consciousness of the scope of the project and be a little realistic on what you can do with the time and motivation you have, or else you'll end up disappointed.

The worst part is that we could easly import the campaign bsp's if halo CE suported instances like later halo's.
Edited by Halonimator on Nov 27, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Noble Six ROCKS

ALL FEAR THE GAUSSHOG!!!!

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 03:10 PM    Msg. 35 of 35       
Is it not possible to import the models at least?

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed May 27, 2020 8:21 PM 265 ms.
A Halo Maps Website