A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »What do people think of these vehicles I'm making?

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: What do people think of these vehicles I'm making? (52 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 12:07 AM    Msg. 1 of 52       
I've got a couple of custom made models, and I'm curious as to peoples thoughts on them as they have some heavy redesigns... seriously, I make 343 look faithful in terms of design.

They can be found here:
http://theshadow0222.deviantart.com/

I will also add more from time to time as they are made.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 02:12 AM    Msg. 2 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: theshadow0222
http://theshadow0222.deviantart.com/

Added a url tag

Also, these:

ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

"If God is love, then you can call me Cupid"

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 03:25 AM    Msg. 3 of 52       
I've got a couple of custom made models, and I'm curious as to peoples thoughts on them as they have some heavy redesigns... seriously, I make 343 look faithful in terms of design.

Wrong thread

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 03:43 AM    Msg. 4 of 52       
@Thatguywholikescats Oh, sorry, where should I have posted this?

Also, @spartan 314, "also these"? What do you mean?
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 28, 2016 at 03:50 AM

Spartan314

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 03:52 AM    Msg. 5 of 52       
Instead of linking your deviantart I img tagged the image on there.
It's easier because people don't have to leave the forum to get the image information.

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 03:54 AM    Msg. 6 of 52       
The warthog redesign actually looks pretty cool! Although I think it should be classified as a new vehicle entirely.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 04:00 AM    Msg. 7 of 52       
@Mega Vking Thanks.
The reason I'm not reclassifying it is that it serves the exact same purpose as the Warthog, thus it's simpler and more intuitive to just call it a Warthog.

Unless you mean't something like M13 Warthog instead of M12... in which case that isn't a bad idea.

@Spartan 314, also thanks.

EDIT: I just uploaded an image of another warthog variant, the last hog type I currently have planned. It just a cosmetic medical hog though, essentially a Troop Transport with stretchers in the back.

EDIT 2: Added a mongoose to the site. Also, booya. Figured out how to post pictures.

I'm also putting the picture of the scorpion I made down here, as @spartan314 missed it.
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 28, 2016 at 07:54 AM

Mangenkyo

Yep!.. i know i'm in Space..

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 08:24 AM    Msg. 8 of 52       
the hogs are nice.
not a fan of that tank and the mongoose, tho

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 08:43 AM    Msg. 9 of 52       
Any suggestions on how to improve them?

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 11:24 AM    Msg. 10 of 52       
Lol simple bevels don't qualify as tire tread.

Just ask the michelin man.

Decent models though, not amazing but a good start.

Btw I highly suggest you research up on vehicle mechanics, how things are built and why, take a note of specific functions and uses too.

(You don't need a masters degree but general knowledge of a couple of common parts and learning basic terminology will translate into better and more importantly believable models further down the line.)

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 11:43 AM    Msg. 11 of 52       
Your current tank sends mixed signals in regards to scale: it's lulzily wide, but the vertical profile appears almost smushed. Given the size of the cannons compared to the commander's MG on the roof, it's on-par with WWI-era landships in terms of excess.

That being said, I do like that you've attempted a UNSC tank with a conventional configuration as opposed to the quad tread bogeys typical of the mainline Scorpions. I would suggest looking at the pre-Xbox Halo "stealth tank" as a reference; it's similar to what you seem to have been aiming for, but with proportions and an armament better-suited to an MBT (although it could stand the addition of a coaxial MG).

Additional images:
http://nikon.bungie.org/screenshots/nextgen1299scans/nextgen1299tank.jpg
http://nikon.bungie.org/screenshots/halo3.jpg

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 11:47 AM    Msg. 12 of 52       
I thought it was just the perspective haha

Although you gotta admit it wouldn't look half bad if he added treads and unfugged the bottom hull.

e: And removed some of that dakka, or at least standardized it. More isn't always better lol, having barrels of varying size and length jacking out doesn't do the model any services.
Edited by BKTiel on Nov 28, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Echo77

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 11:59 AM    Msg. 13 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: BKTiel

I thought it was just the perspective haha

Although you gotta admit it wouldn't look half bad if he added treads and unfugged the bottom hull.

e: And removed some of that dakka, or at least standardized it. More isn't always better lol, having barrels of varying size and length jacking out doesn't do the model any services.
Edited by BKTiel on Nov 28, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Yeah, if it was slimmed down, the hull was modified, and the little cupola up front was moved to the roof, it probably wouldn't look half bad. I'm not sure how Halo-ish it would be, though. The 90-degree face of the turret calls back to things like the German Tiger.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 12:04 PM    Msg. 14 of 52       
@Echo77 Well, the disproportionate size of a 25cm cannon to a 7.62mm MG is to be expected, the original deviantart page has more information, but essentially, the concept is the scorpion needed to be heavily upgraded to fight the covenant, such as adding an EMP device to the shell and since I'm planning on adding shields to wraiths (assuming that's possible in engine,) that device is necessary. Hence why a I nicknamed it the Jumbo.

I mainly did this because, one, 25cm cannon and two my normal models didn't look right to me.

The oddly wide design was me trying to make the scorpion more practical as an MBT, while attempt to keep the feel of the tank the same.

Still I see your point, perhaps I should fix the proportions and use the concept for a grizzly or something, and make a more traditional Scorpion.

Also, thanks for the stealth tank, hadn't heard of that before.

EDIT: If I were to move that gun to the roof, I'd be worried about balance. That's supposed to be a REALLY big machine gun.
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 28, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Echo77

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 12:28 PM    Msg. 15 of 52       

@Echo77 Well, the disproportionate size of a 25cm cannon to a 7.62mm MG is to be expected, the original deviantart page has more information, but essentially, the concept is the scorpion needed to be heavily upgraded to fight the covenant, such as adding an EMP device to the shell and since I'm planning on adding shields to wraiths (assuming that's possible in engine,) that device is necessary. Hence why a I nicknamed it the Jumbo.

If it was just a single 250mm cannon, it'd be doable. You'd have yourself a nice SPG or something. But a 250, 140, and dual 76mm autocannons isn't a practical upgrade. There have been tanks that attemped multiple turrets and/or cannons in the past, and they died off relatively quickly when people realized it wasn't as beneficial as they expected (which is why you pretty much stop seeing them by mid-WWII).

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 12:38 PM    Msg. 16 of 52       
True, though I believe the issue with multiple turrets actually came from the commanders ability to effectively lead such a tank, as well as man power, it wasn't necessarily an engineering issue.

Still, your point remains, I'll replace the 140 and the 76's both with a couple of 14.7mm MGs.

The multi-turreted-ness of my tank, (and the warthog,) is probably just because I think having multiple turrets is just awesome. And thus it leeks into my designs. (My favourite WW2 tank was the Russian T-35, after all, followed by the KV-2)

BTW, any idea what role the stealth tank was to serve in Halo before it was cut?

EDIT: I redesigned the Scorpion:

Also, the wide profile is a trick of the light, the treads are only as wide as the turret, though, to be fair, that's still quite wide.
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Alex

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 01:56 PM    Msg. 17 of 52       
The bits around the sides of the tank just don't seem right.

But it's getting much better.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 02:40 PM    Msg. 18 of 52       

I brought those bits in a little, does that work better?

I added the turret to my test version, and not the main version, so the body has a few misc differences I'm trying out. They're mostly hidden by the camera angle though.
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 28, 2016 at 02:40 PM

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 03:12 PM    Msg. 19 of 52       
The mongoose and Scorpion also look really cool, and yes, stealth tank inspiration pls. Pre Xbox influence is good.

In terms of naming the warthog, maybe consider it an older model, as I'd say the OG design would probably be more sturdy.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 04:53 PM    Msg. 20 of 52       
I made some changes to the goose.

Echo77

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 05:12 PM    Msg. 21 of 52       
BTW, any idea what role the stealth tank was to serve in Halo before it was cut?

It seems like it was intended to serve as an MBT, with the "stealth" aspect coming from the angular design of the hull (probably intended to interfere with radar signature). The apparent backblast shown in some images of the stealth tank firing its main weapon leads me to believe that it's equipped with some sort of anti-tank missile launcher, as opposed to a conventional cannon.

In terms of in-game performance/functionality, one possible approach could be to treat it as a heavier-hitting counterpart to the Scorpion: firing a slower projectile with a larger explosive payload, and sporting additional armor at the cost of speed. I believe it would also be possible to reduce the motion tracker blip to the size of a Spartan's, although it's been a while since I've looked.

You could also take the opposite route and try to emphasize the "stealth" aspect. Make it lighter and faster than the Scorpion. Reduced armor to provide an incentive to slip into position, fire, and displace before you can be located. Swap the slow-moving, high-explosive missile with a quicker, guided projectile with a reduced blast radius. Ditch the coaxial MG and force the driver to rely on support from teammates or a passenger down in the hull.

I think having multiple turrets is just awesome. And thus it leeks into my designs. (My favourite WW2 tank was the Russian T-35, after all, followed by the KV-2)

SMK stronk
Edited by Echo77 on Nov 28, 2016 at 05:40 PM

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 11:09 PM    Msg. 22 of 52       
Mongoose: Where is the engine Other than that... <3 me gusta

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 29, 2016 04:13 AM    Msg. 23 of 52       
It would be in the front, though, unlike the warthog and scorpion, it isn't modeled or anything.

EDIT: This is just a concept at the moment, but would it be possible to add boats to Halo 1 for naval battles?
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 29, 2016 at 11:30 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Nov 29, 2016 07:05 PM    Msg. 24 of 52       
EDIT: This is just a concept at the moment, but would it be possible to add boats to Halo 1 for naval battles?
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 29, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Yes, it involved using the Ghost's physics and modifying the water friction values. Can't recall exactly how off-hand however.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 29, 2016 08:37 PM    Msg. 25 of 52       
Are there any custom maps already released that feature this, so I can test it out?

Spartan314

Posted: Nov 29, 2016 11:51 PM    Msg. 26 of 52       
Hydrolysis had boats in it if I remember correctly:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2611

Jesse

Discord: Jesse#4500

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 12:08 AM    Msg. 27 of 52       
I like the Mongoose, but it definitely has issues. Your other vehicles are too wide-looking, but the Mongoose is slightly too narrow, I think.

Where is the engine? And I'm certain those wheel struts would break quickly, and the axles too. Also, terrible tire treads. I can tell you just extrude blocks that you feel like.

Make some realistic tire treads, add an engine and strengthen the struts.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 12:28 AM    Msg. 28 of 52       
Got it.

EDIT:

I strengthened the suspension struts and added a modelled battery under the bonnet. (Yes, I've decided it's electric.) I also overhauled the tire treads, but now I'm worried about poly count, and I'm considering flattening it out and using textures for it instead, similar to how such details were achieved in H2.
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 30, 2016 at 01:30 AM

Jesse

Discord: Jesse#4500

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 01:47 AM    Msg. 29 of 52       
Higher res image pls.

Looks better, though I think the tires themselves look too thin. If you're going electric, maybe you can have the engines integrated in the rims (like oversized brake discs).

A booty render would be good too.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 02:47 AM    Msg. 30 of 52       
Okay.

I thickened out the tires.

I also liked the engines in the rims idea, and to house said engines I expanded the wheels to be larger.

Also, back shot. It's a bit plain at the moment though.

EDIT: I took a look at Hydrolysis, the boats worked quite nicely... except they worked on land. Would there be anyway to prevent this short of forcing the player out of the vehicle when it gets onto land?
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 30, 2016 at 03:10 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 07:01 AM    Msg. 31 of 52       
No offence but it looks like a hot wheels toy.

Your should probably round out the outer perimeter of your wheels using a chamfer or two, right now that concave look, looks super awkward.

The backrest is a tad obnoxious too, especially when you consider the grab handle is so low which means the passenger will most likely be on his knees whilst trying to fire at enemies.

I'd lose the GPMG's altogether but I guess you could maybe keep one for offensive use. Having two means the driver would have to let go of the throttle and brake in order to use them unless the triggers are actuated by a smart link system.

All in all I'd recommend you brush up on the basics of vehicle mechanics, just to give you a better idea of how parts should correlate together and whatnot.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 08:24 AM    Msg. 32 of 52       
Any sites I should check out to help me get to know vehicles better, cause your right, I don't know much about vehicle mechanics.

I can get the back rest thing, I did that in an attempt to increase it's profile a little bit, but I was a little undecided on whether it looked good or not.
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 30, 2016 at 08:29 AM

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 08:39 AM    Msg. 33 of 52       
I'd love to see all of these in a custom map. Good luck with what you're doing.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 08:51 AM    Msg. 34 of 52       
Thanks.

EDIT:

I've lowered the seat, removed the right mg and rounded out the tires a little.
Edited by theshadow0222 on Nov 30, 2016 at 09:13 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 10:59 AM    Msg. 35 of 52       
Just google image stuff randomly, engine placement, what a wishbone is, bull bars e.t.c

Generally mashing a up a folder of image references is another way to garner some appropriate inspiration if you are struggling for design ideas.

Or maybe import one or two of the original halo models such as the H3-HR mongoose/warthog and study the designs a little more to get a feel for your creation.

Nobody expects you to have a degree in "modern automotive engineering and it's applications" but generally when you surround your self with something it rubs off of on you......

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon August 21, 2017 1:51 PM 422 ms.
A Halo Maps Website