A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next
Author Topic: [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta (106 messages, Page 1 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 12:19 PM    Msg. 1 of 106       
Halo: Fall of Mombasa is an open world game that spans multiple BSPs. It is a flowing firefight style mod, where enemies are constantly spawned wherever the player travels to, but without the structure of rounds.

This current beta version contains the following BSP structures;

Outskirts/Turf -Old Mombasa
Headlong/Terminal/Ivory Tower -Mid Mombasa
New Mombasa/Metropolis/Chronopolis -New Mombasa
Tombstone -Tombstone

However, AI encounters are currently only placed for Old Mombasa and Mid Mombasa. In Mid Mombasa, the Ivory Tower section is currently empty and unsupported. New Mombasa and Tombstone are currently empty and unsupported. Players should still be able to access and explore these areas without issue.

Fall of Mombasa B2

To run the mod, Install OpenSauce 4.0 and place oldmombasa.yelo into your maps folder. Run the game with Console enabled, and use the command

game_set_difficulty easy/normal/hard/impossible

then

map_name oldmombasa

This mapfile utilizes assets from Bungie and features CMT's SPV3 Tagset.

It REQUIRES OpenSauce 4.0, and an installer for this is included in the download. Please ensure you've updated your copy of Halo to 1.10 before applying the OpenSauce installer.

Old Version
Merry Christmas to All.

Known Bugs:

On the first spawn cycle of the current BSP, it seems to run 2-3 cycles as opposed to just 1.
This mapfile is virtually untested. The available content was nearly doubled over the past 24 hours.

Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 7, 2017 at 05:22 PM
Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 7, 2017 at 06:29 PM
Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 8, 2017 at 12:54 PM
Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 8, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 12:39 PM    Msg. 2 of 106       
Maybe it's just me but the BSP's colour palette is a little drab.

But everything else was wholly enjoyable, thankyou for releasing this!

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 02:02 PM    Msg. 3 of 106       
Users reporting crash related to resource maps not being present.

I built it with the intent of it not needing resource maps. Not sure what happened.

Will be updating upload at a later time today.

Jesse

Discord: Jesse#4500

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 02:58 PM    Msg. 4 of 106       
Looks good, I'll check it out when the fixed build gets uploaded.

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 03:57 PM    Msg. 5 of 106       
Upload has been updated, place all the files within the folder MAPS into your MAPS folder in the Halo Custom Edition directory.

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 05:00 PM    Msg. 6 of 106       
Pretty nice map, but I hope that you make a real mission out of it.

Now you just spawn in a huge battle without any instructions what to do or where to go. You just walk around and fight. There are no real encounters, only ones that accidently are created by roaming enemies, and it just isn't really that much of fun after a while.

The connection between the two parts of the maps is also waaaay too long. Some vehicles in it don't even collide.

I know that it's just a beta, and for now it's pretty neat. But there definitely should be put some more work into this

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 07:37 PM    Msg. 7 of 106       
Are the enemies spawning from the phantoms infinite?

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 07:54 PM    Msg. 8 of 106       
Yes they just continually respawn. And that's the full intent of the mod. There won't be any scripted sequences of any kind.

There isn't any need for it, the game isn't a campaign level. It's an open sandbox environment.

This is an early beta, I was working until ~12:30 AM and added Headlong from start to finish on the 24th. I had to cut encounters from the tunnel sequence which will normally break up the drag of having to navigate them. Much more will come, including an entire new BSP section larger than any of the first two that I just need to finish polishing up.

Spartan314

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 08:52 PM    Msg. 9 of 106       
For what it's worth, I really enjoyed it through and through.
It was fun exploring.
Also appreciated the use of the Evolved tagset and biped.

Do you plan on making this a campaign level?

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 09:08 PM    Msg. 10 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
For what it's worth, I really enjoyed it through and through.
It was fun exploring.
Also appreciated the use of the Evolved tagset and biped.

Do you plan on making this a campaign level?

Ill eventually add my last BSP (New Mombasa and Chronopolis) and then start working on polishing those and immersion. More dialogue and situational elements, more custom dropoff animations and passive AI. There will eventually be NO floating phantoms, the system works now until I can animate each of the drops with a few different permutations for each zone.

The mod is designed around an open world concept. Wherever you go there is a fight. So if you want to fight in a certain area you just go there if you start getting bored and want to go somewhere else you can. You're a small part of a large battle surrounding you and youre just trying desperately to tip the scales to humanity. The battles are just as exciting with or without you there; the marines fight to win.

The Biped is a placeholder, as is the health and armor which will be completely retooled to match. There are no shields, just Body Armor. Armor will greatly prevent damage but leak some to health. Once armor is gone youll be taking full damage from enemies.

Its not something you load up to finish. Its something you load up to play around with for an hour.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 09:17 PM    Msg. 11 of 106       
I really like the way the BSP is structured but this needs some work.

Spartan314

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 09:29 PM    Msg. 12 of 106       
It's a neat concept
Sounds like the AI MP maps I used to play years ago but with much more polish.

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 08:21 AM    Msg. 13 of 106       
The open world concept sounds nice, but I'm pretty sure that the game is more fun if it has a real objective, maybe capturing and definding stations could be a thing and that marines try to defend the captured points.

Also, actors despawn if new ones are spawned, not sure if that was meant to happen

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 09:17 AM    Msg. 14 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
The open world concept sounds nice, but I'm pretty sure that the game is more fun if it has a real objective, maybe capturing and definding stations could be a thing and that marines try to defend the captured points.

Also, actors despawn if new ones are spawned, not sure if that was meant to happen

I hope to work with a friend on this going forward and he in the past created a project that was a much heavier version of what you just suggested. Organizing marine squads to capture locations as a long term FPS-RPG.

I actually really like that concept you posted and will probably implement something along those lines as an overarching optional campaign. Kind of like easter eggs in Zombies maps.

As for the despawn, I know instantly what that's from. All spawning is done from a single encounter, the script then teleport them to a phantom and then migrates them to the local encounter. Since the spawns are randomized it allows me a master spawn script that I can then pull to each local encounter I create with ease.

While trying to debug the initial spawn happening 2-3 times, I thought it may be spawning multiple encounters and then migrating them all to the first local encounter (turf). One of the theories was to migrate the AI sooner, and load the vehicle with the local AI.

However, the main reason for using the spawn group in the first place is that by loading the local AI into the vehicle, it's pulling characters that are already on the map.

TL:DR; At each spawn cycle The AI aren't deleted, they're teleported into the phantom and spawned with the next group. Unintended bug that came from trying to fix a current bug, easy fix but thank you so very much for pointing it out.

EmmanuelCD

Using fox avatar since 1893

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 09:39 PM    Msg. 15 of 106       
Im sorry, but check this thread and the one in OC, can I have some pictures or screenshots?

PD: Stupid Browser, nevermind

PD:

Edited by EmmanuelCD on Dec 26, 2016 at 09:43 PM
Edited by EmmanuelCD on Dec 26, 2016 at 09:47 PM

Spartan314

Posted: Dec 27, 2016 03:55 AM    Msg. 16 of 106       
Or you know
You could like
not post the exact same pictures

EmmanuelCD

Using fox avatar since 1893

Posted: Dec 27, 2016 01:47 PM    Msg. 17 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Or you know
You could like
not post the exact same pictures

Yesterday he use rather than

Stupid cellphone

austen1000

You just got Chuck Norris'ed

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 05:37 PM    Msg. 18 of 106       
Will the Data File Folder conflict with SPV3?

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 11:24 PM    Msg. 19 of 106       
Yes, back up your data file folder with spv3 content unless you want to redownload it.

MatthewDratt

YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A TAG

Posted: Jan 13, 2017 11:58 PM    Msg. 20 of 106       
Why would you include data files for a single map anyway?

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 14, 2017 08:04 AM    Msg. 21 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

Because OS_tool is broken and/or doesn't make any sense.

Update:

Have been editing the BSP of Headlong/Terminal to better accommodate AI pathfinding and add additional geometry for Jackal Snipers. I've fixed the AI in the tunnels connecting the maps so that they're not barren, turns out you can't have firing positions that cover the span of 2 BSP's.

Next steps are to add more encounters to the Headlong/Terminal BSP and begin debugging the geometry of the final BSP in 3DS Max.

I was hoping to have a friend take over the encounter design and scripting so that I could focus primarily on level geometry and content. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case, so progress will be slow, and implementation of any overarching objectives is looking unlikely.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 14, 2017 08:18 AM    Msg. 22 of 106       
Hey if you need any help slapping away errors. I don't mind volunteering if it means you can focus on other stuff and thereby push an update out faster.

austen1000

You just got Chuck Norris'ed

Posted: Jan 14, 2017 09:42 AM    Msg. 23 of 106       
@masters1337

Thank you for the info.

@DeadHamster

I found a modified version of the HEK+ Tool plugin a while back that works with OS_Tool. I can link you to it, assuming the link still works.

Also, some feedback;

1. I like the idea behind this. Had such an idea that I posted about a long time ago.

2. Having both the SMG and the Evolved AR is a little redundant. Maybe replace the AR with the easter egg MA5C or the prototype scoped 40-round AR would help in weapon variety.
Edited by austen1000 on Jan 14, 2017 at 09:50 AM

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 12:54 AM    Msg. 24 of 106       
it looks like it has cancer

whats wrong with the truck it looks like its having a very bad day
Edited by gruntfromhalo on Jan 15, 2017 at 12:55 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 08:52 AM    Msg. 25 of 106       
Truck is damaged hence it's "look".

MatthewDratt

YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A TAG

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 03:50 AM    Msg. 26 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Because OS_tool is broken and/or doesn't make any sense.

You're probably just using it wrong.

OS_Tool Build-cache-file-ex "" 0 0 1 levels/whatever/whatever

will spit out a single yelo file no data files

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 06:27 AM    Msg. 27 of 106       

You're probably just using it wrong.

OS_Tool Build-cache-file-ex "" 0 0 1 levels/whatever/whatever

will spit out a single yelo file no data files

Which doesnt make any sense.

Shouldnt putting a 0 for store resources make it....i dont know....not store resources? Why is a null string more logical.

SBB_Michelle

Dumb, sometimes..

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 10:15 AM    Msg. 28 of 106       
that string is to name that shared files, not a true or false statement, so it is logical.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 02:18 PM    Msg. 29 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
that string is to name that shared files, not a true or false statement, so it is logical.

Incorrect. Im not referring to the mod name string, im referring to the true or false statement 'store resources'.

https://bitbucket.org/KornnerStudios/opensauce-release/wiki/Halo1/Doc_Halo1_ToolCommands

The first parameter is a string for name of the modset, the second is a T/F create anew, the third a T/F store resources, fourth a T/F use upgrades. then another string for map directory.

Therefore; If I set the program to not store resources, why would one assume it to use stored resources. The string for mod name has the description that its the name used if resources get stored, not that by having a name it uses those maps.

But I digress.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 04:13 PM    Msg. 30 of 106       

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 05:14 PM    Msg. 31 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Truck is damaged hence it's "look".
if you look at me like that it will make me cry

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 4, 2017 01:20 PM    Msg. 32 of 106       
Got the final BSP ingame.

That's a warthog near the bottom, for size reference.

The Overview of the Playable BSP area from 3DS;

And a comparison for real size purpose. The other BSP sections you see are the ones that were available in the Beta; Turf/Outskirts and Headlong/Terminal. As you can see from the reference, this last BSP doubles the available play area.

Credits due to Jahrain, Mrs. Doublefire and Bungie for level geometry. The BSP is a conglomerate of Chronopolis, New Mombasa and Halo 2's Metropolis, with some additions and modifications by myself.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 4, 2017 02:00 PM    Msg. 33 of 106       
Ooohhh!

Spartan314

Posted: Feb 4, 2017 05:57 PM    Msg. 34 of 106       
This is freakin legit

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 09:46 PM    Msg. 35 of 106       
This project will be taking a temporary Hiatus while I assist in other projects. I have a very polished version of the beta consisting of only the first 2 BSPs. I've greatly enhanced the AI in the second BSP, refined the spawning system and removed several bugs. A brief patch list;

+Fixed Portalling issues on Outskirts BSP
+Updated Headlong/Terminal BSP; created more slopes and ramps to enhance AI pathfinding.
+Added AI Encounters to the tunnels, as was originally planned.
+Fixed AI disappearing on respawn.
+Fixed Outskirts Jackal Snipers Disappearing on Respawn
+Created Collision Model for small car.
+Firing Positions placed for all encounters in the Headlong/Terminal BSP. This was overlooked
+Added a third AI encounter to Headlong/Terminal, located inside Terminal's Garage.
+Added Jackal Snipers to Headlong/Terminal
+AI will now occupy Covenant Turrets on spawn.
+Modified the 10 Random Squads to better suit gameplay.
+Completely rewrote scripts that determined spawning to prevent multiple encounters being spawned simultaneously.

This Beta Release has two HUGE differences from the original release;

+CMT's Evolved tagset has been completely replaced with the CMT SPV3 tagset.

+The Player's Character has been replaced from a Spartan to Sargent Avery Johnson. To reflect this change in character class, the health/shield system has been completely revamped. The character can now find Body Armor in the form of modified OverShields throughout the map, in the same areas where they would find ammunition. The players' health will gradually recover when not taking damage.

I'm looking into different methods of implementing this as an option; The player can choose to play either as the Master Chief or as Sargent Johnson, much like the loadouts in CMT maps. For now however, there is no option present.

The armor/health system needs refining before I'm comfortable with a release, but within the next 2-3 days I'll be uploading a copy.

I won't be picking this project up again for a few months, but will be returning to finish this. The third BSP is present within the mapfile I'll be releasing and can be accessed by the console command switch_bsp 2, however it is completely unsupported with any AI encounters or scenery, and does not align with the other BSPs in the map.

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat June 24, 2017 10:03 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website