A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta

Page 4 of 4 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · Prev
Author Topic: [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta (135 messages, Page 4 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 21, 2017 12:48 AM    Msg. 106 of 135       
Bump because I like this project and I want it to stay relevant.

E: Previous post -
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Update since HaloMaps won't let me bump my own Posts almost a week later;

I managed to port about 90% of the level's Instance Geometry into a few scenery objects.

47.8K Faces are for Rendering purposes only, with no accompanying collision. This is for small details or things like palm leaves of trees.

84.5K Faces are legitimate Instance Geometry, converted into scenery with accompanying collision.

It took 8 .gbxmodel files to contain the model data for the Instance Geometry, and another 4 for the Rendering Geometry. Not all the shaders are compiled at the moment, as you can see from the screenshots
Edited by DeadHamster on May 17, 2017 at 02:11 AM

Edited by Spartan314 on May 21, 2017 at 12:50 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 10, 2017 06:39 PM    Msg. 107 of 135       
So as you guys can see progress on this mod stopped. I'm making a transition in housing where I'm moving permanently to Las Vegas. During this transition, I don't have any residence where I can setup a computer. I will be bringing the PC to Vegas with me and resuming work from there, but that is not for at least another 6-7 months.

Until then, you should not expect any updates or new content. I do, however, expect to have this entire project finished and released by July 9th, 2018.

I want to use Core Saving to prevent save conflicts with SPV3 or other SP projects. I'm basing the map off of long term gameplay, adding RPG elements with a safehouse and vault to store weapons or purchase perks/ammo/vehicles. I want a UNSC force and local militia that use separate weapons, and will animate all the AI drops instead of relying on flying phantoms. There will be optional sidequests that will unlock vehicle drops for areas and award some form of ingame currency to purchase the equipment mentioned above.

But until I have a place to sleep at night, these things have to be sidelined. Once I'm settled in the hot sun of the desert I can conclude Fall of Mombasa. Hopefully HM is still online by Summer 2018. Sorry it can't be sooner.

MEGA_VKNG

Just give me more hate because I deserve it

Posted: Jul 10, 2017 08:22 PM    Msg. 108 of 135       
Las Vegas you say?

I live there as well, welcome and I hope you like it here.

Take your time on the project, classic games like CE can't really die tbh, even if the community does slow down sometimes.

Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Jul 10, 2017 at 08:25 PM

Spartan314

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 10:16 PM    Msg. 109 of 135       
Until then, you should not expect any updates or new content. I do, however, expect to have this entire project finished and released by July 9th, 2018.

<3

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 11:19 AM    Msg. 110 of 135       
So as you guys can see progress on this mod stopped. I'm making a transition in housing where I'm moving permanently to Las Vegas. During this transition, I don't have any residence where I can setup a computer. I will be bringing the PC to Vegas with me and resuming work from there, but that is not for at least another 6-7 months.

I want to use Core Saving to prevent save conflicts with SPV3 or other SP projects. I'm basing the map off of long term gameplay, adding RPG elements with a safehouse and vault to store weapons or purchase perks/ammo/vehicles. I want a UNSC force and local militia that use separate weapons, and will animate all the AI drops instead of relying on flying phantoms. There will be optional sidequests that will unlock vehicle drops for areas and award some form of ingame currency to purchase the equipment mentioned above.

But until I have a place to sleep at night, these things have to be sidelined. Once I'm settled in the hot sun of the desert I can conclude Fall of Mombasa. Hopefully HM is still online by Summer 2018. Sorry it can't be sooner.

Looks like I'll have to purge any core saves in sov3 before we release then :x

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 06:33 PM    Msg. 111 of 135       
Or if you can get somebody to make core_save_name and core_load_name work, that'd be better.

50predator50

Posted: Dec 14, 2017 02:10 AM    Msg. 112 of 135       
Bump

Curious to see if you're still working on this.

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Dec 14, 2017 02:28 AM    Msg. 113 of 135       
please consult the fifth post up from yours

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 14, 2017 07:59 AM    Msg. 114 of 135       
I want so badly to be working on this. Once the holidays are over I'll be in max-saving mode to make this move.

Bungie LLC

Posted: Dec 20, 2017 11:31 AM    Msg. 115 of 135       
Is there any way I can help or assist with the project's development? I legitimately think this is one of the coolest, and most promising singleplayer projects to surface on the forum in a long time, and your level of scrutiny and attention to detail is very appealing.

Most of my ventures in HCE have been centered around MP though, not SP. I've done some very limited SP work, but that was years ago. I'm not a very good scripter, by any means, and I have rather limited experience with 3DS Max, but I know the complete ins-and-outs of Guerilla, Sapien, and Tool themselves. I'd say when it comes to Max, I'm most experienced in BSP-related things, and I've also toyed around with vehicles and vehicle animation, and I've recently begun looking into biped rigging.

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 21, 2017 06:54 PM    Msg. 116 of 135       
I need shaders for the BSP. These should be made with an OpenSauce toolset. I have them auto export with normal maps and details through my Fudd tool, but the values for reflections and micro detail etc need to be tuned for each individual shader. This is a lot of tedious Guerilla work, if you were interested I could get you the project files.

Until I get more situated that's the only progress that could be made AFAI can think.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 09:15 AM    Msg. 117 of 135       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
pls update pls

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 09:29 AM    Msg. 118 of 135       

My move to Vegas has been postponed for at least a few years due to some unforseen circumstances. I have a steady residence for the next month and will have a semi-permanent place to stay be February.

A steady residence means that I'll be able to get back to a full sprint on this starting tomorrow night, and you can expect an update by the end of the weekend.

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 02:34 PM    Msg. 119 of 135       
In regards to helping the project along, I'll be honest: I'm a bit reluctant to indulge in large-scale shader crunching (naturally), but if it truly will lift a burden off of development, I'm willing to take the plunge.

If you'd like to get into more direct contact beyond the hmaps domain:

Steam: bungiellc
Discord: Seraphim#4203

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 04:47 PM    Msg. 120 of 135       
Good News Bungie LLC!

Now that I can get back to working, and will have access to my tagset and computer again, there are also a lot of small tasks I will be able to offer to anyone who would like to assist. Previously I knew I had the shaders and BSP files, but didn't have any tags or anything else. Now that I have everything I'm sure there will be something coming up I can use help with

Erutypus

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 06:06 PM    Msg. 121 of 135       
I tried out your newmombasa map and it plays great, nice map.
I played it for hours and cant seem to stop playing it. Great job, keep up the good work.

Edited by Erutypus on Jan 4, 2018 at 06:08 PM

Spartan314

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 05:28 AM    Msg. 122 of 135       
This project has a charm like no other

MrBoringCom

everything is boredem

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 07:15 PM    Msg. 123 of 135       
is there a latest update that i could download?

Lateksi

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 10:42 AM    Msg. 124 of 135       
Do you fight hordes of enemies like in Firefight or is it a linear campaign?

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 12:07 PM    Msg. 125 of 135       
Quote: --- Original message by: Lateksi
Do you fight hordes of enemies like in Firefight or is it a linear campaign?

Hordes of enemies, eventually some more scenario based events. But never linear.

Quote: --- Original message by: MrBoringCom
is there a latest update that i could download?

Maybe sooner than you think.

EmmanuelCD

I hate this comunity as much as hate my existence

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 10:52 PM    Msg. 126 of 135       
love bump

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 01:56 AM    Msg. 127 of 135       
Updated the topic's first post. New download available.

Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 17, 2018 at 01:59 AM

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Jan 18, 2018 07:09 AM    Msg. 128 of 135       
Can't seem to find any AI

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 18, 2018 12:02 PM    Msg. 129 of 135       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
Can't seem to find any AI

Quote:
This update removes nearly all of the AI from the maps. The AI setups are going to end up being reworked from the ground up. Because of shifts in the underlying BSP, the trigger volumes for the original spawn system no longer lined up, in fact they were off by a significant amount. I chose not to remake the AI just to scrap it after upload.

My AI was inefficiently programmed and could not continue this journey with us.

I used trigger volumes to determine where the player was and where to spawn AI. Recently, I moved my BSP's by about half a map-length in 3DS max by mistake. I was hoping to get a download out, because I will be deleting ALL the AI spawns and scripts and beginning from scratch. It would have been awhile before another release was ready. But then I saw the trigger volumes were off, and thus the AI weren't spawning or if they were, it was across the map.

My options were; recreate every single trigger volume to get a release, then delete them all to start over from scratch.

Or; release the map without AI.

This started out with 3 BSP structures; Outskirts/Turf, Headlonger and New Mombasa. Adding Ivory Tower, Tombstone, The Bridge and The Financial District nearly doubled the map's playable area. The amount of scripting if I did all 6 BSP structures would have been over 850 commands, just to spawn my AI. Another 250 to actually place them inside the map, 450 to track where the player is and 360 to spawn/place marines that follow the player.

For those keeping score at home, that's over 1900 commands for AI. That's not including any scripts for events, or saving equipment, or unlocking content. That's 1900 lines of AI scripts. Kirby/Shadow made scripts for CMT's SPV3 and B30 Evolved. It allowed vehicle boarding, EMP grenades, alternate firing modes, tracking player's vehicles, warthog healthpacks, armor abilities, and every other awesome thing you thought "Wow how'd they do that". After removing comments and outdated scripts, there's only 750-800 commands. Which is less than half of what it would take me to spawn and place my AI. That's not acceptable.

So they have to go. They can't take this journey with us. I'm already beginning to add the new AI. I'll be adding a small structure underneath the BSP areas. This area will overlap for all BSP structures, and all AI spawns will take place from there and move to their respective zones. This will take off about 650 commands alone, even without making any other adjustments to the setup, and takes about 50-60 objects out of the scenario tag as well.

More to come, but this is the last you'll get to play for quite a few months time. Feel free to rip the BSPs with refinery and make your own maps out them. If you do, remake the portals on Headlonger and New Mombasa. Don't try to use Financial District, too many faces, too poor of portalling.

Edit: I keep thinking I have 5 BSP structures. I have 6, modified the numbers up above to more accurately reflect.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 18, 2018 at 12:09 PM

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jan 18, 2018 01:58 PM    Msg. 130 of 135       
TBH if you have to redo all the AI, you should try and get all the BSPs much much closer together. The long tracks of road make parts of it feel disjointed, rather than seamless. It currently feels like something of a museum of a city, with different exhibits than it does an actual city. Everything is cool though, it's nice to see a level this big with some many diverse human environments.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Jan 18, 2018 07:26 PM    Msg. 131 of 135       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
TBH if you have to redo all the AI, you should try and get all the BSPs much much closer together. The long tracks of road make parts of it feel disjointed, rather than seamless. It currently feels like something of a museum of a city, with different exhibits than it does an actual city. Everything is cool though, it's nice to see a level this big with some many diverse human environments.

I agree with this statement

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 04:38 AM    Msg. 132 of 135       
That also means replacing all scenery placements.

But you guys are right, I've felt the same way. Looking into that now

Edit:

Speaking of scenery placements, if anyone is looking to assist the project there are a few things I can now pass off onto others;

• Scenery Placement

• Organizing/Setting Up AI and Bipeds. Mix of CMT and Custom Models.

• Organizing/Setting Up Weapons. Mix of CMT and Custom Models

• Organizing/Setting Up Vehicles. All CMT tags.

All of the above are fairly large tasks. Scenery placement is over 6 very big BSPs. Organzing/Setting Up refers to taking the tagsets, ensuring balance is accurate/relative across all content and that all references are setup properly, and moving them into specific folders. To do that I have a tool that will allow you to migrate tag directories while keeping references intact.

Any of the above being taken off my plate allows me to dedicate more time to modeling, making shaders and most importantly scripting. I have a lot of code that needs to be written, and a lot of content to go alongside it. But the above tasks are all simple, labor intensive processes that will take a ton of time away. Any time volunteered will vastly improve the features available in the final product. And if you think you may know anyone who would like to help, please link them here.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 19, 2018 at 08:57 AM

Spartan314

Posted: Yesterday @ 07:18 AM    Msg. 133 of 135       
Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD
love bump

Bungie LLC

Posted: Yesterday @ 03:03 PM    Msg. 134 of 135       
Have you considered using an already well-documented and reliable tag base for your projects, outside of the few assets of yours that are custom? Not trying to sound like a shill, but I am referring to the Silent Cartographer: Evolved tagset.

Since it's release, I've started using it's systems and templates for a general basis of all my personal undertakings/projects. I would like to pledge my help towards this project's development, but I would first like to present the former idea as a suggestion. If I were to balance, edit, tweak, etc. any pre-existing weapon or vehicle tags, I would prefer to use Evolved's systems as the groundwork, because - in my personal opinion - it's the magnum opus of some of the community's greatest content creators.

Tell me what you think. I know your previous releases of the project were centered around Evolved's tagset. If any of that's changed, or you have different plans in regards to what I've mentioned, let me know.

DeadHamster

Posted: Yesterday @ 04:31 PM    Msg. 135 of 135       
Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC
Have you considered using an already well-documented and reliable tag base for your projects, outside of the few assets of yours that are custom? Not trying to sound like a shill, but I am referring to the Silent Cartographer: Evolved tagset.

As you said I started with the evolved tagset. After speaking with Masters and being given an early copy of the SPV3 tagset I had switched to that.

I have no major objections to using either one. Most the visual assets are the same. It is worth nothing that the SPV3 tagset is much closer to the stock damage and health values, and converting non evolved tagsets will be a chore. Also smaller overall values and smaller variance to damage means a very slight decrease in variation in the way encounters play out.

This would impact the Bipeds Vehicles and Weapons. But, that said, I'm only using CMT and Bungie content, the bungie content ported by either myself or a very small bit from Zteam.

Send me a PM, we'll discuss this more there.

Page 4 of 4 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun January 21, 2018 1:28 AM 1,469 ms.
A Halo Maps Website