A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta

Page 5 of 6 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · [5] · 6 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta (179 messages, Page 5 of 6)
Moderators: Dennis

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 04:51 PM    Msg. 141 of 179       
Yes integrate cityscape please. It is a nearly perfect 1:1 recreation of e3 2003.

edit: If you want the full SPV3 tagset I can shoot that over to you, whole thing is on dropbox.
Edited by Masters1337 on Jan 26, 2018 at 04:51 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 05:02 PM    Msg. 142 of 179       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337

Yes integrate cityscape please. It is a nearly perfect 1:1 recreation of e3 2003.

edit: If you want the full SPV3 tagset I can shoot that over to you, whole thing is on dropbox.

Not sure if serious.

I'll probably redownload SPV3 if I go that route as the version I had was the beta you sent me about a year ago.

But that cityscape map, if it's the same one I downloaded, was a rectangle with like 4 poorly made buildings and some roads. I'll redownload tonight and check again, but I had found a map that looked very similar that was extremely dull.

I'm looking into converting some of the Financial District structures into scenery items as well, things like the tops of the buildings or other structures. I may also close up the courtyard area of the BSP and save myself a mess of polys there.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 08:09 PM    Msg. 143 of 179       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Not sure if serious.

I'll probably redownload SPV3 if I go that route as the version I had was the beta you sent me about a year ago.

But that cityscape map, if it's the same one I downloaded, was a rectangle with like 4 poorly made buildings and some roads. I'll redownload tonight and check again, but I had found a map that looked very similar that was extremely dull.

I'm looking into converting some of the Financial District structures into scenery items as well, things like the tops of the buildings or other structures. I may also close up the courtyard area of the BSP and save myself a mess of polys there.

Do yourself a favor and just use a modded Zteam tagset instead of trying to mess with the SPv3 one. You'll find out that a lot of corners were cut with it and you'll end up running into issues if you dont have it set up in the particular way they did.

Beyond that, Kirby actually made a much closer, near 1:1 recreation of the H2E3 2003 demo, and all things considered i dont think he would mind sending it over to you to have fun with or integrate in general.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 09:59 PM    Msg. 144 of 179       
I also agree that the E3 level should be added in maybe even combined with the New Mombasa map that was created by the H2CE team. To add to all of this I believe there is a recreation of the entire city of New Mombasa with their respective pieces of map geometry fitted to where they belong in the actual city.

If this interests you I can try to find it. I believe it was a rough sketch up model. (Just for you to use as reference).
Edited by Ki11erFTW on Jan 26, 2018 at 09:59 PM

E: found some pics, maybe this will help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/56ox0q/pic_dump_of_a_3d_model_of_new_mombasa_pics/?st=JCWS1CCA&sh=d318130f
Edited by Ki11erFTW on Jan 26, 2018 at 10:16 PM
Edited by Ki11erFTW on Jan 26, 2018 at 10:17 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 07:25 AM    Msg. 145 of 179       
I've already incorporated the New Mombasa bsp, it's combined with a structure from H2's map called Metropolis, and Jahrain's map called Chronopolis.

I'll get into touch with kirby regarding the E3 section as there's such interest. I can incorporate it into the bridge geometry which is pretty lacking but needed as an icon.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 27, 2018 at 07:31 AM

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 04:09 PM    Msg. 146 of 179       
tbh this is turning into like a new mombassa streets. You could totally do something neat like hiding terminals in it and have it be a sort of scavenger hunt for players.

1bobsam1

I win. You lose.

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 09:37 PM    Msg. 147 of 179       
I can see this project becoming lots of fun, I've been longing for a really nice New Mombasa setup for a long time. Much needed.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 10:42 PM    Msg. 148 of 179       
hiding terminals in it

tbh... no...

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 10:25 PM    Msg. 149 of 179       
hiding terminals in it

Terminals containing what? Another Sadie's Story? lol

I think something just as interesting could be done through interactions with the various NPC groups that are planned to be implemented in the level.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 01:52 AM    Msg. 150 of 179       
I agree mainly with Bungie, but I'm sure masters meant something similar to terminals using a reference to an implementation of halo.

I'll be utilizing the size of the city for mini quests, equipment/weapons/ammo, and of course a plethora of easter eggs and secret weapons. This city is huge and I plan to take advantage of that. I'm able to compile well past the model data limit and I'll be seeing how much I can take advantage of every memory extension OS provides. Outside of that, one of the biggest helps to this mod is the heavy utilization of child scenarios. It lets me separate things which makes editing much simpler; I have my AI and scenery in entirely separate scenarios for example, and one simply references the other with tool condensing them at map creation. A few stub scripts allows me to reference objects stored in other scenarios so that I can make my AI from scenario A use the vehicles in scenario B.

Outside of TheCerealKiller, I don't know of anyone else who's made use of child scenarios, including CMT's SPV3 which could've utilized them more than any other mod. They're fantastic and horribly unappreciated.

And since you've all read that rant, I'm now rewarding you guys with a small update;

You guys all agreed that the tunnels were detrimental to map flow, so I've removed about 75% of them from the level. (Ignore the tunnel coming out sideways from Financial District to nothing, as that's just a copy/pasted section I haven't used yet) I may have one more BSP related surprise coming for you guys, just be patient until then.

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 02:09 AM    Msg. 151 of 179       
I don't think the terminals would need to be anything fancy, just would be fun to find them all like in Mombassa Streets.

We used Child scenarios pretty extensively for SPV2 and SPV3 maps. Often times we would use tag extraction to later merge them. You can tell where bungie used them due to multiple refs to the same tags in the pallette.

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 07:30 AM    Msg. 152 of 179       
The use of tunnels is so much better now, well done

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 02:29 PM    Msg. 153 of 179       

lolslayer

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 05:36 PM    Msg. 154 of 179       
Bumpy bump

Reshirom200

goo.gl/viU1Js

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 10:05 PM    Msg. 155 of 179       
phew, this-this fourm took way to long to read... Ill have to say EXCELLENT mapping, i couldn't even begin to draw that!
Edited by Reshirom200 on Feb 2, 2018 at 10:06 PM

Erutypus

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 08:51 AM    Msg. 156 of 179       
Hey DeadHamster why not use the halo 2 underground street models?

Edited by Erutypus on Feb 27, 2018 at 01:27 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 08:43 PM    Msg. 157 of 179       
I'll look at these when I get home, and decide if I want to replace my tunnel system with them.

Unfortunately, I've already put a lot of work into fusing these tunnels with the existing geometry. I'm really pretty done with the BSP model, I'm refusing to add any more BSP sections and modifications will be at a minimum.

I'm still pushing for a July 9th release date. By next week I should have another map build for the BSP changes, so you guys can let me know if the new layout is preferred.

Erutypus

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 05:30 AM    Msg. 158 of 179       
I was going to say I would be willing to re-build the tunnel system with the H2 roads for you (its really easy to do with the models) but I guess I was too late on this one.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 08:03 PM    Msg. 159 of 179       
I wish you had shown me those a year ago. Would've gladly used them. But the tunnels I have are about half that size across, and I'd have to rework the entire entrance/exit of every BSP to accommodate.

With that said, the BSP is nearly final (again).

Do not expect any additional pieces of geometry or levels. This is it guys.

Bloodgulch used for size comparisons.
Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 22, 2018 at 08:12 PM

Reshirom200

goo.gl/viU1Js

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 08:54 PM    Msg. 160 of 179       
wait... did you rip those tunnels or were they already existing on a fourm?

ya know, i need to do some ripping of my own *Rippy rip ripp*
Edited by Reshirom200 on Feb 22, 2018 at 08:55 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 12:58 AM    Msg. 161 of 179       
Quote: --- Original message by: Reshirom200

wait... did you rip those tunnels or were they already existing on a fourm?

ya know, i need to do some ripping of my own *Rippy rip ripp*
Edited by Reshirom200 on Feb 22, 2018 at 08:55 PM

Those tunnels above are ripped from H2's Metropolis map.

You should look into Adjutant. I wish I knew about it when I had started this. Would've been much easier to get the first few BSP's. I was using Entity to rip the structures. Yuck.

Reshirom200

goo.gl/viU1Js

Posted: Mar 10, 2018 11:23 AM    Msg. 162 of 179       
I wonder if anyone has a halo 2 e3 demo or the beta, mombasa could use some of that stuff(mostly the e3 demo)

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 10, 2018 12:48 PM    Msg. 163 of 179       
After reviewing the cityscape BSP everyone was talking about, I can confirm it's a 90% accurate representation of the geometry from the E3 beta. It's already been added to the geometry; you can see in the above picture it's added at the far end of the bridge.

Watching the E3 beta footage alongside the map, the geometry matches in nearly all places. The reason it isn't perfectly matching is that it isn't a showcase; the E3 map wasn't finished or proper in any way. It had an entire section that didn't have an exterior wall and was just open skybox. The person controlling the player looks that way momentarily before turning away so the audience wouldn't notice it. There are other sections of the level that are similarly incomplete, but that can't be noticed because of the actions of the person running the demonstration.

Somebody please post here saying "wow that's interesting", so that I can bump my topic later with updates. Dennis needs to allow double posting.

BioGoji1989

Posted: Mar 10, 2018 12:56 PM    Msg. 164 of 179       
After reviewing the cityscape BSP everyone was talking about, I can confirm it's a 90% accurate representation of the geometry from the E3 beta. It's already been added to the geometry; you can see in the above picture it's added at the far end of the bridge.

Watching the E3 beta footage alongside the map, the geometry matches in nearly all places. The reason it isn't perfectly matching is that it isn't a showcase; the E3 map wasn't finished or proper in any way. It had an entire section that didn't have an exterior wall and was just open skybox. The person controlling the player looks that way momentarily before turning away so the audience wouldn't notice it. There are other sections of the level that are similarly incomplete, but that can't be noticed because of the actions of the person running the demonstration.

Somebody please post here saying "wow that's interesting", so that I can bump my topic later with updates. Dennis needs to allow double posting.

Fascinating. I've known (disappointingly) for a while that the E3 demo was smoke and mirrors, but I had no idea just how much until now.

Reshirom200

goo.gl/viU1Js

Posted: Mar 10, 2018 03:26 PM    Msg. 165 of 179       
I have an idea... (this surprises me too...)i can fondly remember when chief was on the highway in a hog?? anyway there was a shadow convoy, and they stopped shooting once you got into the tunnels and started again as you left. well what im trying to say is there could be some moving scenery of invulnerable shadows, or... you could make them destructable but despawn a little after destruction...
tell me what you think of that
(probably a terrible idea, ive got alot of those)
Edited by Reshirom200 on Mar 10, 2018 at 03:28 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 1, 2018 05:49 PM    Msg. 166 of 179       

Happy belated Third Year of Development "Fall of Mombasa"!

This project has it's origins in a much different layout. Originally starting in the map New Mombasa, a roadway tunnel connected to a ladder which took you into Turf. From there an entrance to a BSP I had constructed from HangemHigh which had been built into a halfway decent zombies map with a working gun purchasing menu in the UI.

As for updates; ODST BSP has been dropped. I had rigged up nearly half the BSP with exact portals, which is very difficult in an exterior level. One section repeatedly through errors relating to portal seals, despite there being no gaps. After about a week of no success in debugging, I've decided to move past it. There will be no replacement BSP unless someone can mention an already completed structure or map that should be featured.

On a further note, somebody should post "Oh wow exciting" so that I can post my April Fool's update later this evening.

Alex

Posted: Apr 1, 2018 07:11 PM    Msg. 167 of 179       
Happy belated Third Year of Development "Fall of Mombasa"!

lolslayer

Posted: Apr 2, 2018 06:31 AM    Msg. 168 of 179       
Happy third cycle of the earth!

Now, where is our april fools joke? >:(

Spartan314

Posted: Apr 2, 2018 09:53 PM    Msg. 169 of 179       
Wow time flies

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 06:03 PM    Msg. 170 of 179       

Shiny Shaders are too Shiny

Spartan314

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 07:32 PM    Msg. 171 of 179       
Oh yeah
Bring back the vinyl pants 90s fashion

Masters1337

Posted: Apr 11, 2018 02:22 AM    Msg. 172 of 179       

Praise beebo for whoever pointed this out to you and insisted you check it out even when you thought it wasn't that accurate :p.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 07:33 PM    Msg. 173 of 179       
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2ffc/dsemp6iydhy1q1y6g.jpg

Shiny Shaders are too Shiny

Shiny aside, this is pretty awesome. CE needs more civilians.

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 01:05 PM    Msg. 174 of 179       

This mod supports Gender Equality and the equal representation of women in the armed forces.

but no fat chicks

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 03:39 PM    Msg. 175 of 179       
Nice a55 there though,

good ports, now we need more civilians as others have stated

Page 5 of 6 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · [5] · 6 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon April 23, 2018 5:55 AM 578 ms.
A Halo Maps Website