A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta

Page 7 of 7 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · [7] · Prev
Author Topic: [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta (236 messages, Page 7 of 7)
Moderators: Dennis

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 08:24 PM    Msg. 211 of 236       
oh my
this is really, really nice

E: Previous update to the top of the page
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Also

Remember this guy? The BSP that was way too detailed and could never get ingame?

The raw BSP clocked in at 65k polys. Far too many. Serious optimizing and reconstruction got it to just under 41k, which is comparable to the Outskirts BSP. I had to rebuild half the level, which means re-doing the entire BSP's uvmaps. But doing so allowed (forced) me to replace all the materials, and get the thing ingame.

Also, teh_lag recently replied to a PM and gave some advice (as well as a huge boost to morale) regarding terrain portals. Turns out they suck as much as I thought they did, and there's no secret about them. Just trial, and error, and error, and error. The BSPs in the video didn't have any terrain portals, hence the huge amount of geometry flickering.

Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 19, 2019 at 05:02 PM

Edited by Spartan314 on Feb 19, 2019 at 08:25 PM

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 02:09 PM    Msg. 212 of 236       

I was never satisfied with the Tombstone structure. As nice as it was, a single BSP wasn't worth the entire structure. Zanzibar's cliffs seemed an ideal match, and it's working out wonderfully.

This revives Zanzibar. In an early, 2015ish era BSP concept, No Remorse and Zanzibar had a connected beach, which was accessed via a highway in the same level structure as Headlong. Instead, Terminal was connected to Headlong, and Ivory Tower from there.

It was awful. This is a much better use of all the BSPs
Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 23, 2019 at 04:59 PM

Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 28, 2019 at 03:42 AM

Erutypus

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 02:06 AM    Msg. 213 of 236       

Edited by Erutypus on Jun 25, 2019 at 02:26 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 05:51 PM    Msg. 214 of 236       
I'm really serious this time when I say I'm not adding more BSP sections. The layout screenshot above is final, it's everything I had ever wanted to put into the map, with the exception of perhaps one or two BSPs that could never fit or work.

District is fantastic and I would have certainly used sections of it, but it's near perfect relation to Outskirts would give the wrong nostalgia vibe. Very few people played Halo 2 Vista compared to Xbox, and working in District was both feasibly impossible and would detract from elsewhere.

I assume the bottom image is District, and the top is an export of Outskirts? I'd recommend starting with Outskirts directly and then modifying it as needed to adapt it. You can even keep your current geometry where the parking structure is and just merge Outskirts where it should be, and then adjust the base at outskirts. If it's not going to be an exact rip or a pixel-by-pixel remake, save yourself some hassle and cut a few corners. No shame in that.

Also, despite the minute differences, I'm fairly certain it was actually Sector 5. There's a room overlooking the section with stairs that goes downwards, in your diagram the bottom right of the sector 5. The Courtyard also had a series of rooms connecting it. Some other sections mimicked 5 more than 4. The courtyard was removed entirely as were the connecting rooms. Geometry limits and portalling. But yeah, despite them being near identical I'm pretty sure it's 5.

Edit: Also despite saying it was done fast, it was most certainly not. This was started on over a year ago, and given up on after about a month's work. Ripping and converting takes minutes.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 6, 2019 at 05:52 PM

Spartan314

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 05:11 AM    Msg. 215 of 236       
My humble opinion would be that BSP sections would not be added.
Any more work into BSP stuff would probably mean this map is never completed...

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 09:21 AM    Msg. 216 of 236       
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1593

Throw some Pemba in there with your Zanzibar. It was supposed to be a sister station.

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 03:59 PM    Msg. 217 of 236       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
My humble opinion would be that BSP sections would not be added.
Any more work into BSP stuff would probably mean this map is never completed...

This

Because I moved the BSP sections again to reshape the tunnels (had to be done anyway), I now have to replace all scenario data. All the firing positions, scenario flags and scenery have to be placed from scratch.

I still haven't even touched Tombstone for scenario work. There's no AI placed in the Bridge. And every time I move the geometry, everything starts over. I can keep my scripts, but that's it. No more BSP sections. No more restarts.

But, good news is I have made a ton of progress;

• Shaders for the BSPs are more or less done, minus polishing.

• BSP sections are finalized and Portalled. Shaders are applied.

• In game Weapon Armory UI-menu finished, scripts finished. Working]

• AI and Weapon Set is complete, courtesy of CMT

So, I need to do scenery placement again, add vehicles to the armory menu, create and place any "Instance Geometry", AI placement for all the BSPs, and adapt the scripts to add the ODST, Tombstone and Bridge BSP sections.

That gets me to a legitimate Beta, no-missions release. It may sound like a lot, and it is. But it's not really that much.

Then from there I side script individual missions. These should come fairly quick; Player selects missions from a NPC at a base. Disable the stock spawning system, run the mission script. After the mission is over put the player back at the Base and enable spawning again. Capture the briefcase, Save the Hostage, Kill the Target. Easy to script and setup, especially compared to scripting an open world real-time spawning system.

I'll update early tomorrow morning with some new videos.

Spartan314

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 08:28 PM    Msg. 218 of 236       
The map's BSP even as is now is excellent. As a player, I'd rather more thought be put into the "fun" aspect of the map rather than whether it's true to whatever whatever game.
This is very exciting stuff!

Have you spoken with Gamma at all?
If I recall he had a map that showcased the stuff you talk about in scripting individual missions.
Edited by Spartan314 on Mar 7, 2019 at 08:31 PM

Erutypus

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 05:25 PM    Msg. 219 of 236       

Edited by Erutypus on Jun 25, 2019 at 02:27 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 10:01 PM    Msg. 220 of 236       
Since I created a setup for someone else I'll extend the offer to anyone else who may be interested; I've created a build of the map without any scripts that can be used as a base for creating sub-missions. If anybody would like to offer their services in this let me know and I'll contact you to go into more detail. There's 3-4 simple 'rules' to follow but full creative-control goes to you as to how the missions play out.

In other news, here's a bunch of videos I've been making. Wonder when the next release is coming? Maybe it'll be soon.

Full Level Overview

Work-Related Activities

Setting up Dropships Part 1

Setting up Dropships Part 2

Spartan314

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 06:31 AM    Msg. 221 of 236       
Hot diggity
Have you considered random player starting points for every loading of the level?
It might be nice to throw a randomizing factor in there especially if you're gonna go through with the individual mission scripting.

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 06:40 AM    Msg. 222 of 236       
An interesting idea, but doesn't quite fit into the opening sequence I've had mapped out. The first "sub-mission" is going to be navigating the BSPs to the far end of the level to meet with some UNSC headquarters or what have you, where the game will then be 'unlocked' and any mission can be selected from there. The idea for the individual missions is they take place within the overarching level, which is more-or-less a firefight map. You activate a mission, random spawning stops and the mission plays out, then the mission ends and random spawning begins.

There wouldn't really be a second loading of the level because it's meant to be played more like an RPG, or like a GTA-esque game. You would maybe knock out a few missions, unlock some new weapons or vehicles in the armory, and then come back another day. Maybe instead you spend the whole time goofing around and killing Covenant with the vehicles and weapons you got last time.

Erutypus

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 06:23 AM    Msg. 223 of 236       

Edited by Erutypus on Jun 25, 2019 at 02:27 AM

Bottletopman

Blessed are the cheesemakers

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 08:38 AM    Msg. 224 of 236       
Aww shucks...the end game update is corrupted or something? Downloaded it twice from that mediafire link in OP but both times Winrar said it was corrupted or in unknown format.

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 10:03 AM    Msg. 225 of 236       
Christmas Build

The Christmas Spectacular 2018 is the most recent build actually. I'll probably have another out in the next week or so, I wanted to make an April Fools build and had a lot setup for it, but some serious and sudden family emergencies prevented me from getting the right pieces in place over the last few days and it fell apart last night.

Lots of recent progress though everyone. Stay tuned in the next few days for more!

Bottletopman

Blessed are the cheesemakers

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 02:24 AM    Msg. 226 of 236       
Oooooh right, cheers.

Also I just used 7-zip, seems like Winrar doesn't like this rar archive for some reason.

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 11:27 AM    Msg. 227 of 236       

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 02:01 PM    Msg. 228 of 236       
Nice work! Keep it up!

Spartan314

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 07:40 PM    Msg. 229 of 236       
Superb.
I really like how it's not overly detailed but just enough.

Are the civilian cars in the tunnels and places .scenery?
What if they were non-enterable vehicles you could push around?

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 01:50 AM    Msg. 230 of 236       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Are the civilian cars in the tunnels and places .scenery?
What if they were non-enterable vehicles you could push around?

Good Idea

I tightened up the physics model a bit from what you see in the video; less driving over it and more pushing it.

I was always considering this but had ruled it out because I thought that there was a cap on Vehicles. In the hacked OpenSauce toolset that limit was removed. I'll be doing it for the trucks, probably not for any of the other scenery items. Halo 1 didn't have the physics that Halo 2 had; if I make everything vehicles then vehicle damage is applied on collisions. Ducking for cover behind a crate and having it insta-kill you with a nudge is not ideal.
Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 29, 2019 at 01:51 AM

Spartan314

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 06:27 AM    Msg. 231 of 236       
Ducking for cover behind a crate and having it insta-kill you with a nudge is not ideal.
Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 29, 2019 at 01:51 AM

Agreed.

The vehicles are looking dreamy
:')

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: May 2, 2019 11:48 AM    Msg. 232 of 236       
You can always change it to not instant kill :X

DeadHamster

Posted: May 13, 2019 02:48 PM    Msg. 233 of 236       
I'm just gonna leave this here.

Spartan314

Posted: May 14, 2019 06:30 AM    Msg. 234 of 236       
oooh
Seeing AI and the word missions
get me so giddy

sparky

Dismissal of Truth leaves one to believe lies

Posted: May 18, 2019 12:02 PM    Msg. 235 of 236       
Because I moved the BSP sections again to reshape the tunnels (had to be done anyway), I now have to replace all scenario data.

Silly HEK. Why can't you use the same .scenario tag and simply update its sbsp references section? And why doesn't it attach all instances to its bsp so you can simply move the bsp, like you would do if it were all in 3ds max and you linked all geometries to a node and moved the node?
Edited by sparky on May 18, 2019 at 12:06 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 02:12 AM    Msg. 236 of 236       
Discord

Any future updates from me will be located in the server above. This includes Fall of Mombasa, future Halo 2 maps, a future collaborative project with some members from CMT and any of the various programs I've written.

You will also be able to find me in the SPV3 discord, as well as the Project Cartographer discords, both of which are below;

SPV3 Discord

Project Cartographer Discord (Halo 2 PC)

Page 7 of 7 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · [7] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat July 20, 2019 12:13 AM 515 ms.
A Halo Maps Website