A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Help and suggestions for my weapons.

Author Topic: Help and suggestions for my weapons. (33 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 08:13 AM    Msg. 1 of 33       
Hey, as many of you know, I'm working on a large mod at the moment, remaking H1 though 3 in Halo CE with some changes to the plot to make it refreshing, I decided to take a step back and plan the mod out on paper, and here is what I came up with.

A couple of things I took into consideration when designing this brief outline is symbolism, which I reckon is a good way to connect story to gameplay. I'm also planning on making use of OS to see what I can do about Dual Wielding, though no guarantees.

Covenant:
Covenant Weapons will be organised into five ranks each one more powerful than the last, representing the Covenants societal classes and how this plays into much of how they act, dress and fight. In gameplay, covenant weapons will be a dime a dozen, since the most common enemies in the game will be carrying them, so scaling them like this should allow covenant weapons to be both common while still encouraging players to ammo wisely, since better guns are carried by higher ranked enemies.

• Blue weapons are Minor rank, and are the weakest.
• Red weapons are Major rank, and are the second weakest.
• Black weapons are Spec Ops rank, and are mid-range.
• White weapons are Ultra rank, and are the second strongest.
• Gold weapons are Zealot rank, and are the strongest.

The Covenant shall also be divided up into four sub-factions, Elites, Brutes, Hunters and Jackals, each of which will offer their own unique variants of the weapon that will be used exclusively by this sub-faction and their subordinates.

• Elite weapons will be high tech and elegant, offering great accuracy and moderate damage, as well as being able to sustain fire for long periods of time without overheating. This represents their position as nobles at the top of the covenant, emphasizing the Elites skill over the use of sheer technological prowess.

• Brute weapons will be either low tech weapons used by the brutes (a Spiker), or modified Elite weapons used by their subordinates (a Brute Plasma Rifle). A brute’s weapon will be inaccurate, offering higher fire rates and high damage in CQC. Brute weapons will also be equipped with a bayonet, which allows them to do superior damage in melee. When a brute weapon overheats it will do a small amount of damage to the player. This represents the brutes more savage nature.

• Jackal weapons will be high tech needler based weapons, offering decent accuracy boosted by a homing system, and low damage boosted by super combines, their weapons will be high capacity and have high rates of fire. This represents the Jackals detached nature from the rest of the covenant, and less chivalrous mode of attack. Jackals will also drop their energy shields for use by the player.

• Hunter weapons will be the large and powerful arm cannons carried by the Hunters. They will also drop their shield which will act like a heavier version of the aforementioned jackal shield. This doesn't really represent anything, but you don't have much wiggle room with the hunters.

UNSC:
UNSC Weapons will be uniform and few in number, representing the UNSC’s desire to maintain a united galaxy. This solves a logistics problem in gameplay too, since now you'll have plenty of ammo (especially since in the second half the flood won't be carrying normal human weapons anymore,) while still making them rare.

Forerunner:
Forerunner weapons fire automatically at any faction hostile to the Forerunner faction and may attack you when left on the floor, like the smart gun from aliens. This represents the Forerunners incredible usage of technology and how this acts against the humans in later chapters. Not sure if this is possible, but I'll give it a go.

Flood:
Flood weapons will be variants of other faction’s weapons that are covered in flood biomass. These weapons will jam frequently, or overheat randomly, and cannot be reloaded or recharged, like their normal variants. This represents the floods intention to corrupt all other factions, and turn them into more flood. This is here mainly just to make ammo scarcer when fighting the flood, forcing you to rely on more then the shotty, which should in theory make these scenes more tense and make the flood a less boring enemy to fight.

URF:
URF weapons will offer staggering diversity, and each weapon will come with a host of attachments. Many URF attachments will work on UNSC weapons as well. This represents the desire for self-rule among the URF, and each nation having a unique perspective. Likely you'll be seeing these guys in the H2 section of the mod, since they'll be common, I'm given them a lot of different weapons, like the Covies.

I realise this is a rough outline of each factions weapons, instead of an in depth gun by gun thing, but you should be able to get what I'm going for. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm also planing on redoing my vehicles a little (not to much) to better fit with the weapons, so this can kind of apply to vehicles too, thus suggestions are welcome in that field too.
Edited by theshadow0222 on Dec 31, 2016 at 08:19 AM

ScarFOx

I'm a Ghost I was never here.... -Scott 2018

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 09:16 AM    Msg. 2 of 33       
If you want to make ammo more scarcer when fighting the flood. You could make the weapons they used drop little to none ammo. You could replace the amount of ammo in their gun with ammo packs. That should make things a little simple. So far this sounds great can't wait to see what you do.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 01:10 PM    Msg. 3 of 33       
Forgot to mention above, in the H2 segment, the Heretic faction is currently planned to be more prominent, though at current I'm not too sure what to do with their weapons to make them stand out. Was thinking of waiting until the mod Heretic Hunt is released so I could steal... ahem... be inspired by Spirals weapon designs. H2 segments a while away anyway.

Also ScarFOx, not a bad idea, but still, having flood (semi) unique weapons seems like it'd also help flesh out their faction. I also got to thinking, what if I included flood pure forms as weapons, like in this image I found.
Perhaps flood weapons would cause enemies to become flood combat forms and whatnot? Just a thought.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 01:23 PM    Msg. 4 of 33       
The "Flood ranged form" shoots those needler like projectiles, perhaps a weapon can be devised based off those attributes.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 01:38 PM    Msg. 5 of 33       
In the concept art images I posted I think the top one is supposed to do that.

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 02:22 PM    Msg. 6 of 33       
Seems interesting but if you use red to represent major weapons how do you intend to design the BPR, known for being red besides adding a bayonet and other things?

ScarFOx

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 02:28 PM    Msg. 7 of 33       
I got a idea. A flamethrower infected by the flood instead of it shooting flames it shoots infection forms or flood spores

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 02:48 PM    Msg. 8 of 33       
@ScarFOx Sounds interesting, though I could see technical issues occurring if I pursued it, not sure how the CE engine would handle spawning millions upon millions of infection forms, as fun as that might be. Spores might be doable though.

And @MEGA_VKING At the moment, I'm thinking of making a separate mesh for the gun, so it'll look different, and giving it a more crudely painted look. Plus the bayonet and things emphasizing the more crude nature of the gun. Since I said it would do damage to the player when it overheats, perhaps scorch marks around the venty bits. I'll make it distinct, don't worry.

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 04:30 PM    Msg. 9 of 33       
You could take inspiration from the Halo Wars 2 Banished weapons, you can see a brute plasma repeater in this IMG, among other things.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 04:57 PM    Msg. 10 of 33       
Thanks, wouldn't have even considered looking at a Halo Wars game for weapon designs.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 11:05 AM    Msg. 11 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: theshadow0222
I also got to thinking, what if I included flood pure forms as weapons, like in this image I found. http://img03.deviantart.net/b8a9/i/2014/172/c/2/halo___flood_weapons_1_by_ninboy01-d7ne3se.png

The guy who made those has several interesting weapon concepts that could be worth looking into, and the Flood weapons are definitely unique, but they're kind of a contradiction: Why would a Flood Pure Form carry a standalone rifle, as opposed to having their weapon integrated into their physiology? A rifle can be scavenged and used against you. The innate ability to project spikes from your abdomen cannot.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 11:26 AM    Msg. 12 of 33       
Forerunner:
Forerunner weapons fire automatically at any faction hostile to the Forerunner faction and may attack you when left on the floor, like the smart gun from aliens. This represents the Forerunners incredible usage of technology and how this acts against the humans in later chapters. Not sure if this is possible, but I'll give it a go.
Edited by theshadow0222 on Dec 31, 2016 at 08:19 AM

Not that I expect this mod to be fully realized, but if you use OS you can take advantage of it's Actor Variant swapping feature to make this work.

When an AI is about to die it swaps to another AI, one without a visible biped. This actor variant would aim and fire the weapon, which would be appearing to fire of it's own volition. You can have the AI's collision surround the weapon, allowing the player to "kill" the Forerunner weapon.

P.S. if you want some sketchy Forerunner bipeds I made some a few years back. Not really that good but meh I hobbled them together from various models ripped from various video games.

The final versions had 3-4 different armor permutations, with various color permutations for each armor set. They never received any polishing so they'd need a lot of attention to the visual aspects.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 1, 2017 at 11:26 AM

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 11:42 AM    Msg. 13 of 33       
@Echo77 True, although chief could pull a doom guy, tear off the things abdomen and squeeze it to fire the needle things. Not sure the ideas very Halo-esque but you can't say those annoying things don't deserve it. (Ranged forms in H3 on legendary were pure evil!)

And @Deadhamster, would you still be able to hold the weapon though, while it continued to automatically attack enemies of it's faction? Also, not sure if I'll use forerunner bipeds (My current plan doesn't involve actual forerunners, unfortunately,) but if I come across a need for one, I'll hit you up.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 12:37 PM    Msg. 14 of 33       
And @Deadhamster, would you still be able to hold the weapon though, while it continued to automatically attack enemies of it's faction? Also, not sure if I'll use forerunner bipeds (My current plan doesn't involve actual forerunners, unfortunately,) but if I come across a need for one, I'll hit you up.

Ahh I misunderstood you, I thought they would auto-fire when dropped, not when held by the player.

BLAMscript has no function for determining when a player is facing an enemy target. You may be able to do it through functions modifying the ROF on a weapon whose trigger is trigger-locked.

But I doubt that's possible. That's a shot in the dark without looking at Guerilla.

TL;DR: Don't think you can make a gun automatically fire when it's facing a target using only the BLAM! engine.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 12:46 PM    Msg. 15 of 33       
Damn... there goes my awesome idea for a super sentinel beam that fires four different lasers at different targets simultaneously. Sigh...

Any ideas for making them unique other then awesome sentry turret thing?

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 01:05 PM    Msg. 16 of 33       
Damn... there goes my awesome idea for a super sentinel beam that fires four different lasers at different targets simultaneously. Sigh...

Any ideas for making them unique other then awesome sentry turret thing?

There are several weapon features in the BLAM engine that are not used in stock Halo or many mods;

Magazines can regenerate ammo instead of reloading.
Weapons can use Ammo, Age and Heat simultaneously.
Weapons can have a variable ROF that start slow and end fast (CMT: Evolved's Carbine)
Weapons can misfire. This can be based off of Heat or Age values.
Weapons can explode when misfired or overheated, playing an effect/animation and removing it from the player's inventory.
Weapons can utilize two magazines and/or two triggers (Cryo/Exploding Ammunition)

Weapons can also change color based on heat, ROF, or other factors by using functions. For example, I made a custom shader_plasma bitmap and utilized it on the plasma rifle below;

It glows like a cyborg/elite's shields, but tints from blue to red based on weapon heat.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 01:22 PM    Msg. 17 of 33       
The ammo, age and heat thing could add an interesting dynamic, if I'm not mistaken that combined with the regenerating ammo things what CMT's doing, so, not a bad idea.

The variable ROF seems more like something I'd use on a weapon by weapon basis, not in an overarching theme.

Misfiring and exploding and all that's what I'm planning on using for Brute and Flood weapons.

The two trigger things how SOI and CMT and so on made under barrel grenade launchers, I'm guessing. Perhaps an alt-fire mechanic for forerunner weapons? Though in both SPV3 and SOIs, it replaced grenades on the controller, did it not, so, that's a bit meh.

The changing colour thing would only be aesthetic, so while it could add an interesting visual look, I can't see it doing much in the way of gameplay.

Also, isn't that a shorter version of the Focus Rifle and not a Plasma Rifle? Still cool, though.

Here's a thought, can you do damage to a player or enemy without damaging their shield? Cause them being shield piecing could be interesting.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 01:40 PM    Msg. 18 of 33       
Also, isn't that a shorter version of the Focus Rifle and not a Plasma Rifle? Still cool, though.

Here's a thought, can you do damage to a player or enemy without damaging their shield? Cause them being shield piecing could be interesting.

Custom model using the Focus Rifle, Needler and Plasma Rifle from Halo 3/Reach

And yes, in the projectile's damage tag select the bitmask "Skips Shields"

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 01:52 PM    Msg. 19 of 33       
That could be interesting to fight with and against. Vicious as hell, but interesting.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 12:35 PM    Msg. 20 of 33       
Wavy line HUD?

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 09:22 PM    Msg. 21 of 33       
What? Like the pfhor weapon from marathon? Or do you mean @Deadhamsters HUD, which thinking about it is indeed wavy. It's probably to emulate the visor borders scene in later Halo games. Perhaps an Elite helmet?

Jesse

Discord: Jesse#4500

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 05:33 PM    Msg. 22 of 33       
A lot of those features are actually used in the previous and current CMT tag sets. For example, I use the heat values on a typical ammo based weapon (like the assault rifle) for detecting when HUD elements should move or change state.

ScarFOx

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 06:15 PM    Msg. 23 of 33       
That could be interesting to fight with and against. Vicious as hell, but interesting.
For gameplay I don't think its a good Idea because of the skip shields thing makes you feel more weaker than you normally were. For the thought of damage there could be a damaging issue with one of the weapons

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 11:18 PM    Msg. 24 of 33       
True, but... still, it could reinforce just how powerful forerunner tech is... I mean, the entire first game and most of the second take place on a weapon that can destroy an entire galaxies worth of life, I think perhaps making forerunner tech so deadly could emphasize the threat halo poses as a whole.

Then again, maybe I'm putting plot and the themes of said plot too far ahead of gameplay...

Tucker933

Tucker933.com

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 11:23 PM    Msg. 25 of 33       
My guide on gameplay design is more focused on PvP, but you could still find most of its elements applicable: http://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/10-guide-to-balanced-gameplay-design/

Edited by Tucker933 on Jan 4, 2017 at 11:28 PM

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 11:27 PM    Msg. 26 of 33       
Thanks, it looks like it'll be quite helpful.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 5, 2017 04:34 AM    Msg. 27 of 33       
@Deadhamsters HUD, which thinking about it is indeed wavy. It's probably to emulate the visor borders scene in later Halo games.

Looks like wavy lines to me.

Probably just a testing attempt and nothing serious. NvM.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 07:19 PM    Msg. 28 of 33       
I've come up with a basic list of UNSC weapons and their functions, so I came back here for critique. I decided that it would work better if the UNSC only really had the same number of weapons as in Halo 1 but each weapon had variants that cover different niches within that weapons role, based on Halo Onlines weapon variant. The ammo type is important as I'm going to make URF weapons use the same ammo and as such their ammo is compatible with UNSC ammo, if possible.

I also combined weapons like the SMG into an AR variant, due to their similar usage.

Assault Rifle:`
The standard service rifle of the UNSC Marine Corp and Navy Security, it is a bullpup rifle featuring an electric trigger mechanism and liquid propelled bullets. The battery and tanks of propellant are both attached to the magazine. Uses 7.62mm ammo.

MA5B Assault Rifle (STD):
The standard variant of the AR, offering a decent amount damage, accuracy and ROF at close to mid-range. 60 round magazine.

MA5E SAW Assault Rifle (ROF):
A variant of the AR that offers a higher rate of fire and larger magazine capacity at the cost of a slightly lower accuracy and higher recoil. 120 round magazine.

MA5D Assault Rifle (RNG):
A variant of the AR with a modified barrel that allows a higher amount of propellant to be loaded and consequently the round has a higher muzzle velocity, allowing for higher accuracy at mid-range. The weapon has a lowered rate of fire in exchange for less recoil and better accuracy. 36 round magazine. It also features a scope.

MA5C Assault Rifle (DMG):
A variant of the AR that does much higher damage with more recoil, a lower ROF and less accuracy. It fires from a 32 round magazine. Has grenade launcher.

MA5K SMG (AGL):
A carbine variant of the AR that has decreased damage and accuracy with higher recoil, but allows for faster reload times, weapon switch times and a movement speed on par with the pistol. 60 round magazine. Can be duel wielded.

MA5K SMG w/Suppressor (SUP):
An MA5KS SMG with a silencer attached reducing the noise it makes to almost zero, but also making it evem less accurate and have more recoil. 60 round magazine. Cannot be duel wielded like the normal MA5K.

Battle Rifle:
The BR55 Battle Rifle is the standard service rifle of the UNSC Army Corp and almost, which in its standard form fires a fire round burst. Like the MA5 the weapon uses liquid propellant and an electric ignition mechanism. Its magazine loads from the top not unlike the H&K G11. Uses 9.5mm ammunition.

BR55 Battle Rifle (STD):
The standard variant, it fires a 3 round burst from a 36 round magazine. Has scope.

BR55-A Battle Rifle (ROF):
A variant of the BR that fully automatic (at a lower ROF then even the DMG MA5) from a 32 round magazine, it does less damage per shot, the headshot damage is significantly decreased and is slightly less accurate. I am debating this over a fast as you can pull the trigger style DMR weapon.

BR55-SA DMR (RNG):
A variant of the BR that fires semi-automatically from a 15 round magazine. It has much higher accuracy and range, but does less damage due to the lack of a burst fire (Though better shot by shot damage). Has better scope then standard version.

BR55-HB Battle Rifle (DMG):
A variant of the BR that fires a 6 round burst instead of a 3 round burst, with higher recoil and less accuracy. 41 round magazine. Has a Grenade Launcher.

BR55-C BR Carbine (AGL):
A variant of the BR that has less damage, accuracy and damage, but allows players to reload, switch weapons and move faster. 36 round mag. Can be duel wielded.

BR55 BR w/Suppressor (SUP):
A variant of the BR that makes no noise but has higher recoil and less accuracy. 36 round mag. Has scope.

Pistol:
The standard sidearm of the UNSC, offering great damage at close to mid-range. It fires 12.7mm ammunition. Drops spent casings on your foot in third person. Pistols can be duel wielded.

M6D Pistol (STD):
The standard variant, fires fully automatic (A two rounds per seconds mind you,) and has a scope. 8 Rounds.

M6C Pistol (ROF):
A version of the M6 that can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger, at the cost of less damage, higher recoil and less accuracy. 12 round magazine.

M6J Carbine (RNG):
A version of the M6 that has increased range and accuracy but does less damage and has a lesser ROF, as well as a BR style scope. Has an extended barrel and stock and has eight rounds in a mag.

M6R Magnum (DMG):
A pistol that features a 6 round revolving cylinder instead of a magazine and must be cocked after every shot. Does higher damage at the expense of extreme recoil and a much slower rate of fire. Has a scope.

M6D/SOCOM Pistol (SUP):
A M6D with a suppressor. Does not make any noise but is less accurate and has higher recoil. Has scope.

Shotgun:
The shotgun does an amount of damage to everything within its reticule proportionate to the amount that the target is within the reticule. The shotgun uses 8 gauge ammunition.

M45 Shotgun (STD):
The standard shotgun, it has a six rounds and does decent damage per pellet.

M30 Shotgun (ROF):
A semi-automatic shotgun fed from a box magazine, with low damage per pellet. 12 rounds.

M90 Shotgun (RNG):
A version of the standard shotgun with a much smaller reticule for engaging targets at range. Fires 6 rounds.

M50 Shotgun (DMG):
Essentially two M45 shotguns glued together, this is a double barrelled pump action shotgun. The reticule will have two large circles which overlap in the centre of the screen, in the overlapping portion the shotgun will do double damage. Fires two rounds at once and a total of 3 pairs of rounds. I was debating this over a grenade launcher and a dragonsbreath shotgun.

M90 Sawn Off (AGL):
A pistol length breach loaded shotgun with a normal sized reticule. Only has one shot before reload. Reloads and switches to faster and makes you move faster. Can be duel wielded.

M45 Shotgun w/Suppressor (SUP):
A M90 shotgun with a wider spread and a larger kick, but makes no noise. Still six rounds.

Sniper Rifle:
The Sniper Rifle does a huge amount of damage at long range and can even penetrate thin walls.

SRS89 Sniper Rifle (STD):
A 6 round bolt action rifle that can penetrate thin surfaces. Does a huge amount of damage and can penetrate low to mid-level shielding systems. Has 2 levels of zoom.

SRS99 Sniper Rifle (ROF):
A 4 round semi auto Sniper Rifle that can penetrate thin surfaces. While still doing an huge amount of damage, it does a lot less than the SRS89 and has trouble piercing shields. Has 2 zooms.

SRS70 Elephant Gun (RNG):
A 10 round bolt action rifle with no scope. I decided that since the Sniper Rifle has range covered I'd go backward instead of forward. I was also debating this weapon over a SOI style laser sniper rifle that does little damage but skips shields.

SRS100 AMR (DMG):
A 3 round bolt action Sniper Rifle that does insane damage and can insta-kill an unshielded wraith but has a rate of fire less than 1 round every three seconds and a kick that matches the damage. Has 2 zoom levels. I was trying to decide if a M99 SAR Gauss Sniper Rifle from Contact Harvest was better.

SRS99 SR w/Suppressor (SUP):
A SRS99 Sniper Rifle with a suppressor on the end, making it silent at the expense of higher recoil and less accuracy.

SPNKR HWP:
The SPNKR Heavy Weapons Platform is a shoulder mounted frame that can house almost all UNSC heavy weapons.

M41 SSR Rocket Launcher (STD):
A two round high explosive rocket launcher that can home in on vehicles. Has scope.

T261 Lucifer Minigun (ROF):
A shoulder mounted Mingun with decent damage per shot and an extreme rate of fire, starts at 20 rounds a second but speeds up to over 600 rounds a second after 2 seconds and has a magazine size of 4800 rounds. Fires 0.001mm Rounds. Basically 10 seconds of OP Bullet Hose. Takes over a minute to reload. Might be a little insane.

W/AV M6 G/GNR Spartan Laser (RNG):
A laser that does extreme damage after a one second charge up period, has four shots and a replaceable battery. Skips shields. Has scope.

NA4 Flame Thrower (DMG):
A weapon that fires a stream of fire which deals large amounts of damage over time.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 07:36 PM    Msg. 29 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
just a testing attempt and nothing serious.

Yup.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 06:36 AM    Msg. 30 of 33       
I also combined weapons like the SMG into an AR variant, due to their similar usage.

Use within the game or real life? Because let me assure you sub machine guns and assault rifles play vastly different roles within the battlefield.

Assault Rifle:`
The standard service rifle of the UNSC Marine Corp and Navy Security, it is a bullpup rifle featuring an electric trigger mechanism and liquid propelled bullets. The battery and tanks of propellant are both attached to the magazine. Uses 7.62mm ammo.

Attached physically to the magazine? I wouldn't advise this as it seems like an extraordinary expense to implement upon something which is basically expendable once empty, additionally it would extra weight which a standard marine would possibly not thank you for.

MA5K SMG (AGL):
A carbine variant of the AR that has decreased damage and accuracy with higher recoil, but allows for faster reload times, weapon switch times and a movement speed on par with the pistol. 60 round magazine. Can be duel wielded.

Duel wielding AR's whilst not practical is do-able but from a FPS stand point it would be nearly impossible to make the reloads look realistic unless you incorporate some sort of modified feed mechanism.

Additionally comparing the MA5K to an SMG raises a few eyebrows imo. The original design whilst shorter and all round more compact than a STD MA5B still consequently accepts the same payloads as it's full length brother. To quote wiki here: "A submachine gun (SMG) is an air-cooled, magazine-fed, automatic carbine designed to fire pistol cartridges." Since the MA5K according to the original canon fires rifle rounds (7.62x51) and not pistol rounds as stated in the wiki it can't really be termed as an SMG.

It's an obscure gripe but terminological annoyances such as these are rife within games which to some spoils realism especially me.

Battle Rifle:
The BR55 Battle Rifle is the standard service rifle of the UNSC Army Corp and almost, which in its standard form fires a fire round burst. Like the MA5 the weapon uses liquid propellant and an electric ignition mechanism. Its magazine loads from the top not unlike the H&K G11. Uses 9.5mm ammunition.

BR55-A Battle Rifle (ROF):
A variant of the BR that fully automatic (at a lower ROF then even the DMG MA5) from a 32 round magazine, it does less damage per shot, the headshot damage is significantly decreased and is slightly less accurate. I am debating this over a fast as you can pull the trigger style DMR weapon.

The G11's magazine system makes up nearly 1/3 of the actual platform, adopting a similar style of loading system will mean a drastic re-think in the design of your proposed BR.
Further more the inherent dimensional nature of the 9.5x40mm K round which the BR accepts automatically makes it a harder hitting round negating your "ROF" proposal unless the grain count of the "ROF's" rounds are altered which to my ears sounds highly specific and again mostly impractical given the amount of resources and complexity which you would have to dedicate.

BR55-C BR Carbine (AGL):
A variant of the BR that has less damage, accuracy and damage, but allows players to reload, switch weapons and move faster. 36 round mag. Can be duel wielded.

Again issues that I highlighted with the MA5 (AGL) apply here.

M6D Pistol (STD):
The standard variant, fires fully automatic (A two rounds per seconds mind you,) and has a scope. 8 Rounds.

For something which only has 8 rounds, fires that slow and with such a degree of recoil force to contend with sounds like something which should be reserved for SPARTAN use only.

M6R Magnum (DMG):
A pistol that features a 6 round revolving cylinder instead of a magazine and must be cocked after every shot. Does higher damage at the expense of extreme recoil and a much slower rate of fire. Has a scope.

Revolving cylinders in Halo's era??? I'd wager they to be obsolete and used only as a sign of authority or awarded to high ranking officers as some sort of honour.

M50 Shotgun (DMG):
Essentially two M45 shotguns glued together, this is a double barrelled pump action shotgun. The reticule will have two large circles which overlap in the centre of the screen, in the overlapping portion the shotgun will do double damage. Fires two rounds at once and a total of 3 pairs of rounds. I was debating this over a grenade launcher and a dragonsbreath shotgun.

Double barrel pumps aren't particularly impractical as some elite units of today do utilise the KSG and the DP-12. However the notion of "gluing" to M45's together although it saves on parts seems like as a whole the double barrelled variant should be modified or standalone system that shares only a few mechanisms and parts. Just a general opinion more than anything. Oh btw a dragonsbreath loaded shotgun would probably be best suited within the (DMG) role.

Overall your idea's are well thought out but at times a bit too complex but that isn't necessarily a bad thing when brain storming. Perhaps more concentration in what would and would not work in the field (if you are going down that route) would be best to further your ideas and bring them to fruition.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 09:17 AM    Msg. 31 of 33       
"Use within the game or real life? Because let me assure you sub machine guns and assault rifles play vastly different roles within the battlefield."

I'm aware of the real life differences, but the AR in Halo seems to function in this role more then a typical AR anyway, thus my choice to combine them.

"Attached physically to the magazine? I wouldn't advise this as it seems like an extraordinary expense to implement upon something which is basically expendable once empty, additionally it would extra weight which a standard marine would possibly not thank you for."

True, my logic was that you wouldn't need as big a battery since you only needed what was necessary to fire the magazine instead of hundred upon thousands of rounds, making the gun lighter to some degree.

"Duel wielding AR's whilst not practical is do-able but from a FPS stand point it would be nearly impossible to make the reloads look realistic unless you incorporate some sort of modified feed mechanism."

If I can't work out a proper reload animation, I could just fall back on the H2 method of just dropping the guns from the screen and raising them again a little while later.

"Additionally comparing the MA5K to an SMG raises a few eyebrows imo. The original design whilst shorter and all round more compact than a STD MA5B still consequently accepts the same payloads as it's full length brother. To quote wiki here: "A submachine gun (SMG) is an air-cooled, magazine-fed, automatic carbine designed to fire pistol cartridges." Since the MA5K according to the original canon fires rifle rounds (7.62x51) and not pistol rounds as stated in the wiki it can't really be termed as an SMG.

It's an obscure gripe but terminological annoyances such as these are rife within games which to some spoils realism especially me."

I get the gripe, the reason I called it a SMG was to alleviate confusion as to it's role within the sandbox. I can change it back to carbine if you would prefer.

"The G11's magazine system makes up nearly 1/3 of the actual platform, adopting a similar style of loading system will mean a drastic re-think in the design of your proposed BR.
Further more the inherent dimensional nature of the 9.5x40mm K round which the BR accepts automatically makes it a harder hitting round negating your "ROF" proposal unless the grain count of the "ROF's" rounds are altered which to my ears sounds highly specific and again mostly impractical given the amount of resources and complexity which you would have to dedicate."

The G11 thing was just something I thought I would do to better differentiate the BR from the AR (Plus G11's are just cool.) Not final by any stretch and not well thought out at present.

The ROF damage thing was mostly just me considering balance, in Halo lore the BR is a select fire rifle and technically capable of full auto.

"For something which only has 8 rounds, fires that slow and with such a degree of recoil force to contend with sounds like something which should be reserved for SPARTAN use only."

Again, true, I was mostly basing it off of the Halo 3 version. Could use improvement. Then again, everyone in Halo 1 was running around with a pistol designed for spartans, (it was upscaled 117% for spartan use,) so it's not much of a stretch.

"Revolving cylinders in Halo's era??? I'd wager they to be obsolete and used only as a sign of authority or awarded to high ranking officers as some sort of honour."

That was the intention. I was going to debut it when the captain hands you his sidearm.

Thanks for the critique.

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 01:07 AM    Msg. 32 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/5e85/27u1f3fvzb8ukx0zg.jpg

The final versions had 3-4 different armor permutations, with various color permutations for each armor set. They never received any polishing so they'd need a lot of attention to the visual aspects.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 1, 2017 at 11:26 AM

i think he had a very bad day

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 08:54 AM    Msg. 33 of 33       
Reminds me of the red skull in some ways.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri August 18, 2017 2:14 PM 453 ms.
A Halo Maps Website