A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Edit existing BSPs, map models etc...

Author Topic: Edit existing BSPs, map models etc... (12 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo Noob Modder117

I guess I'm just going to have to rip your tags

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 04:51 AM    Msg. 1 of 12       
Hey guys, how do you edit existing map geometries? Particularly campaign missions?

CMT has inspired me to edit campaign too. Well I mean I already do it but I want to do what they do; adding new sections or altering existing sections of campaign maps.

How is this possible?

(Actually you can also mention multiplayer too if you want. I played an interesting map which was a giant mash-up of multiple other maps...)

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 05:04 AM    Msg. 2 of 12       
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2029
With this utility you can convert the .BSP files to 3ds max compatible formats, once on 3ds max you can just edit the levels. There is some BSP making tutorials on the tutorial secction of this website if u need help.
Edited by Kinnet on Jan 2, 2017 at 05:05 AM

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 05:36 AM    Msg. 3 of 12       
Oh sweet! This is going to be fun, thanks!

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 09:54 AM    Msg. 4 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo Noob Modder117
Oh sweet! This is going to be fun, thanks!

I can assure you right now that nothing about that is going to be fun. It is going to be difficult and frustrating and discouraging. Tool is unbelievably picky about how the geometry is structured compared to modern engines.

Do yourself a hige favor, stop right now and do this;

Open your Halo CE folder
Open the folder HEK Tutorial
Open the html file
Follow the tutorial to make a custom map

Make a cheezy boxy map with hills, dont release it, then make 2-3 more and dont release those.

NOW, having learned how to make maps from scratch, start importing bsp's and modifing them. Modifying is far more difficult then creating. When you import a BSP it doesnt import the sky materials which you have to remake by hand. This can be excruciatingly frustrating, you WILL have errors for the first 10-20 exports that youll need to then fix before exporting again to see if there are other errors.

Edit: Find and download Aether, or use the OS Dev Tool to export the bsp to a max format. They export much better than the above tool
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 2, 2017 at 09:56 AM

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 06:39 PM    Msg. 5 of 12       
Oh yes, I tried the box map about a year ago and failed 20 times. I found out I left some squares or what ever it was underneath something because I was looking from the top and never noticed them. Excellent wording eh? I kinda have no idea what I just typed.

I just wanted to see if I can teach myself to chop and change existing levels.

But to be honest, after a year of enjoying Guerrilla and Sapien use I honestly feel like I've lost interest in modding this game. It was fun playing other people's stuff and then better when I finally got HEK to work but now I think I've lost interest...

I mean I'm going to try this but if it fails I guess I might not bother. One can only do so much. I really don't know what to do any more and the cluster of unknown errors just puts me off ESPECIALLY if you follow a tutorial on youtube 100% and your thing just refuses to work.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 07:07 PM    Msg. 6 of 12       
Adjutant can rip Halo CE and Halo PC BSPs and assets, it's probably much safer to use than that program.

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=45590

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 07:24 PM    Msg. 7 of 12       
Cheers mates.

Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jan 2, 2017 at 07:24 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 08:27 PM    Msg. 8 of 12       
ESPECIALLY if you follow a tutorial on youtube 100% and your thing just refuses to work.

I... what?
Which tutorial are you following?

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 09:15 PM    Msg. 9 of 12       
Generally speaking.

I've followed many tutorials in my time modding this game and regardless of replicating everything I still manage to encounter errors, google them and find nothing about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYpDmCNj3aE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwmt99Mg6VU

Get to the final step as always and the errors hit you. The internet produces no solutions. Most don't even exist when you search them. Happened about a year ago hence why I never bothered touching gmax/map making again...

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 09:37 PM    Msg. 10 of 12       
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYpDmCNj3aE

I've used this tutorial in my first year of modding, so I can tell you for a fact there shouldn't be issues.
I can't remember what errors I encountered but if I had the final product then I assure you there should be answers on forums.
Do you remember what your errors were?
url tags bruh get widdit
Edited by Spartan314 on Jan 2, 2017 at 09:38 PM

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 10:18 PM    Msg. 11 of 12       
Sorry. Jeez this was a while ago I haven't touched it since... You know what I'll do it again later and see what happens and I'll post it here.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 12:44 AM    Msg. 12 of 12       

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun April 21, 2019 9:18 AM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website