A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Looking for ideas for SPV3's new cross map unlocking feature.

Author Topic: Looking for ideas for SPV3's new cross map unlocking feature. (27 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 10:17 AM    Msg. 1 of 27       
So as many of you know, SPV3 Part 1 has a system in it where you can find skulls, which if all found unlock them for the next mission. However we are dropping that feature and using the ability to pass off small amounts of data between map files.

This will hopefully make missions feel less like isolated Silo's, and more connected to your actions earlier in the game.
With this, we can do things such as allowing your survivable grizzly tanks from AOTCR to still be useable in 2 betrayals, or unlocking an experimental weapons locker in POA enable rare unique weapon variants to be found in later mission.

So we are looking to do something like this in every mission (with POA and AOTCR having them already) and are open to ideas.

Keep in mind, these are limited to if "player does x, y will happen". And nothing should be to game changing for whatever mission is effected by the previous mission's unlockables.

edit: T&R has been solved
Edited by Masters1337 on Jan 4, 2017 at 12:00 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 10:48 AM    Msg. 2 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
So as many of you know, SPV3 Part 1 has a system in it where you can find skulls, which if all found unlock them for the next mission. However we are dropping that feature and using the ability to pass off small amounts of data between map files.

This will hopefully make missions feel less like isolated Silo's, and more connected to your actions earlier in the game.
With this, we can do things such as allowing your survivable grizzly tanks from AOTCR to still be useable in 2 betrayals, or unlocking an experimental weapons locker in POA enable rare unique weapon variants to be found in later mission.

So we are looking to do something like this in every mission (with POA and AOTCR having them already) and are open to ideas.

Keep in mind, these are limited to if "player does x, y will happen". And nothing should be to game changing for whatever mission is effected by the previous mission's unlockables.

I take it youre setting the values of globals that wouldnt be used during loading, like player camera position?

Carrying weapons/ammo across maps would be interesting. As would health on missions where you wouldnt have opportunity to heal up (like from the swamp to the library).

Outside of that, take some character like sgt johnson but make him mortal. If you keep him alive in certain maps across the whole game he runs through the last mission with you as an ally.

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 11:10 AM    Msg. 3 of 27       
It should be nice to unlock hidden terminals so that wee open new zones like resources, shortcuts and change the behaviour for AIs. We could unlock more sentinels in 343 Guilty Spark and so next levels, or we could unlock flood rooms and have bad days in further levels.

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 11:35 AM    Msg. 4 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

I take it youre setting the values of globals that wouldnt be used during loading, like player camera position?

Carrying weapons/ammo across maps would be interesting. As would health on missions where you wouldnt have opportunity to heal up (like from the swamp to the library).

Outside of that, take some character like sgt johnson but make him mortal. If you keep him alive in certain maps across the whole game he runs through the last mission with you as an ally.

There are certain functions where you can assign a value or have a binary value that is carried in the game until it's closed. So these are what were used crudely for the skull system since it came in so late.

I don't want to cary over weapons and health because we have the loadout system, plus it's not always ideal for players to start with what they scavenged from other missions. Plus not all maps have the same weapons as the previous ones.

Johnson wouldn't really works with that as we have other plans for him.

Quote: --- Original message by: cippozzo
It should be nice to unlock hidden terminals so that wee open new zones like resources, shortcuts and change the behaviour for AIs. We could unlock more sentinels in 343 Guilty Spark and so next levels, or we could unlock flood rooms and have bad days in further levels.

That is kind of how what I have planned for POA with the experimental weapons locker, but I'd like to try and stay away from players pressing hidden switches where I can.
Edited by Masters1337 on Jan 4, 2017 at 11:38 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 02:23 PM    Msg. 5 of 27       
As somebody who extremely rarely ever even touches skulls, this is welcome news to me.

ScarFOx

I'm a Ghost I was never here.... -Scott 2018

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 03:08 PM    Msg. 6 of 27       
So since there is no room for ai in it. Isn't there like a way to check if the encounter was still alive in the mission? Like for example what everyou named the marines on B40 I'm gonna say crashside-gramma673 check to see if they are still alive or not then just have a replacement encounter RE_gramma673-survivors Be spawnable in the C40. Is a way like that possible or it's too much work the game can handle?

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 04:01 PM    Msg. 7 of 27       
It would be possible, but each map only has a set amount of individual AI types you can place, and we are already maxed out those on C40. A similar thing could be done on another mission however, although right now nothing is coming to mind to me at least.

cippozzo

Posted: Jan 5, 2017 09:20 AM    Msg. 8 of 27       
Touching panels gets boring you're right, but what if the player can choose different paths with their slighly different objective so triggering new paths and gameplay changes in next ones?

Btw is there someone that know how to deal with Open Sauce source code?

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 5, 2017 09:26 AM    Msg. 9 of 27       
Trying to be more subtle than that (the focus is on part 2 stuff rather than extensive changes to part 1).

As far as open sauce, I know SBB Michelle has been working on it, but you should be able to get the source code off github.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 5, 2017 10:42 AM    Msg. 10 of 27       
Masters, go straight Starfox 64.

Depending on which way or how you beat the mission or side quests, entire levels or maps might be skipped or played. Maybe there's a chance you don't save all the marines on A30, now there's a new map A40 where you have to rescue the ones taken hostage, before assaulting the main ship on a50.

Or maybe you do save all 3 camps. Now you can take the team straight to a50, and there will be more marines there because of it.

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 10:34 PM    Msg. 11 of 27       
Rather not work on missions difficult for people to play.

We still need ideas for the b30 caryover to b40, so all suggestions welcome still.

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 10:54 PM    Msg. 12 of 27       
Have you ever played Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Double Agent?

In those games, if you missed objectives, then for the most part, they showed up again in later missions

Ling Ling Lang

Are you finding Ling Ling?

Posted: Jan 8, 2017 12:46 AM    Msg. 13 of 27       

We still need ideas for the b30 caryover to b40, so all suggestions welcome still.

B30 and B40 are pretty isolated from each other, so I think the most logical connection is a change in the initial encounter as Foehammer drops you off. The best I've got is storing the combined strength value of surviving Covenant squads at the very end of B30, turning that into some averaged value, and then storing that in your function. Then B40's script extracts that number, and if it meets a certain threshold (determined by difficulty perhaps?), you won't be "followed" to B40. If you didn't kill enough Covies on the island, however, Foehammer is shot at by Banshees, and doesn't give you support with the turret because she's forced to leave. Meanwhile, a Spirit comes in from above, and drops in extra bad guys on the other end of the landing platform.

Additionally, because its possible to create many different thresholds for this, you could scale the difficulty and initial placement of Covies to suit your needs and scale with the accomplishments of the player. So because you nabbed 75% instead of 50% of the covies in B30, the Spirit only produces an elite and a few grunts instead of a hunter pair, stuff like that.
Edited by Ling Ling Lang on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:47 AM

MatthewDratt

Our President Brags About Sexual Assault

Posted: Jan 9, 2017 01:54 AM    Msg. 14 of 27       
If there are still marines on the beach they'll get picked up by the pelican and go with you to b40

Jesse

Discord: Jesse#4500

Posted: Jan 9, 2017 03:49 AM    Msg. 15 of 27       
What if you manage to kill the gold elite guarding the entrance to the cartographer before the door closes?

If you kill him, the covenant inside could be less organized, and for b40, they are less present due to not having gotten the information about the control room.

Furthermore, if you kill him, the gold elite in B40 (the one that comes out at the end of the bridge) doesn't show up (same elite)?
Edited by Jesse on Jan 9, 2017 at 03:50 AM

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 9, 2017 11:51 AM    Msg. 16 of 27       
The thing that I have a problem with some of these later ideas it that it's if you y, take away x while I rather be adding something new as a reward.

Matt, I considered that but I am at the squad limit of that map (1024)

cippozzo

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 07:30 AM    Msg. 17 of 27       
The thing that I have a problem with some of these later ideas it that it's if you y, take away x while I rather be adding something new as a reward.

Matt, I considered that but I am at the squad limit of that map (1024)

So squad limit is 1024, not too bad bungie. Is it possible to recycle squads? I mean respawn and teleport script

Masters1337

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 12:56 PM    Msg. 18 of 27       
Not really, a squad contains all the firing point data and ties into scripts in several ways, so unless you are respawning a squad you can't really "recycle" them.

DontTazeMeBro115

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 02:13 AM    Msg. 19 of 27       
wheres part 2?

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 02:20 AM    Msg. 20 of 27       
c10 crazy marine turns into flood if not killed.

c10 allies that survive get teleported with you to the library. I'm assuming you are using odsts for the mission so the flood infection forms won't instantly kill them.

You are running out of encounter data on that mission aren't you?

I would also suggest weapon carry over from c10 to the library since its a teleport. You said you didn't want weapons carrying over though because its not ideal but I think that would make things interesting rather than just starting with a shotgun by default.

We still need ideas for the b30 carryover to b40, so all suggestions welcome still.

Optional objective to reactivate the security system would be interesting and fun to work with. Not very lore friendly.

It would be interesting if the player could activate something at the crashed pelican sight on the beach to unlock a loadout with heavy weapons for the next map or have the allies with heavy weapons. Something that seems like they recovered the supplies before leaving.

Adding additional loadouts as rewards would be neat. I have a feeling that would be a hassle.
Edited by Spiral on Apr 25, 2017 at 02:34 AM
Edited by Spiral on Apr 25, 2017 at 02:35 AM

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 01:28 PM    Msg. 21 of 27       
Idea:

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 01:52 PM    Msg. 22 of 27       

Xtralaos

"I AM THE GREATEST!"

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 09:41 AM    Msg. 23 of 27       
Yeah, I've got an idea, how about you release Part 2 already. I've been waiting since 2013 to play this fully. CMT. STEP. UP. YOUR. DEVELOPMENT!

MatthewDratt

Our President Brags About Sexual Assault

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 11:40 AM    Msg. 24 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Xtralaos
Yeah, I've got an idea, how about you release Part 2 already. I've been waiting since 2013 to play this fully. CMT. STEP. UP. YOUR. DEVELOPMENT!

It's been cancelled

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 12:37 PM    Msg. 25 of 27       

Why not put forward your skills to help further production? Instead of complaining that a bunch of people are taking time out of their busy lives to work on a mod for a 10+ year old game that not more than a 1000 players are competitively interested in, whilst also charging no money for their sweat and toil.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 04:49 PM    Msg. 26 of 27       
*checks halomaps for CMT after a year* IS IT OUT YET? nope... I'll be back in another year. Cool stuff here tho, can't wait to play it.

lmaoo this dude actually waited a year to make a post about how he's been waiting

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 05:22 AM    Msg. 27 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
*checks halomaps for CMT after a year* IS IT OUT YET? nope... I'll be back in another year. Cool stuff here tho, can't wait to play it.

lmaoo this dude actually waited a year to make a post about how he's been waiting

LMAO

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon September 25, 2017 11:47 PM 265 ms.
A Halo Maps Website