A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Bloodgluch modded textures appear in sapien, but not ingame?!

Author Topic: Bloodgluch modded textures appear in sapien, but not ingame?! (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Badass Blue

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 09:17 AM    Msg. 1 of 10       
Hello,
So my problem is I've extracted BG's tags and re-skinned some things in the scenario file.
Everything in Sapien looks exactly as I want it to and all textures are mapped properly in Guerrilla...Once I compile it in tool and run the map in Halo CE it looks as if I haven't changed a single thing. Here are some pictures of what it looks like in Sapien...
Red Team Warthog http://imgur.com/taG6vKb
Red Team Banshee http://imgur.com/L8G9ZEW
Blue Team Banshee http://imgur.com/MahxJS4
Blue Team Warthog http://imgur.com/pOzTeoR
I've also made custom item collections for these re-skinned weapons and changed the linking for "NetGame Equipment" in Sapien, but only the stock textures show up!
http://imgur.com/sAHSSeq

Super Flanker

"To punish & enslave"

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 11:06 AM    Msg. 2 of 10       
Instead of editing the vanilla files directly, copy them out into a different directory and go from there.

Badass Blue

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 05:50 PM    Msg. 3 of 10       
Okay so do you mean copy the tags I want to modify and modify only the copies? If that's what you mean I did that already to make this work...Basically I copied the AR, pistol, warthog and banshee tags twice and modified only those copies and added red and blue accordingly to the names of the modified vehicle and weapon tags. Then I replaced the vanilla tags with the modded ones, in the scenario file I extracted with the BG vanilla name.

Or do you mean save the scenario under a different name and move ALL the modded tags to one directory like "tags\levels\bloodgulch\modded_tags", and of course redirect the tag paths in Guerrilla?
Edited by Badass Blue on Jan 11, 2017 at 06:36 PM

JadeRifter

I'm a real light sleeper, Childs.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 08:33 PM    Msg. 4 of 10       
I've had this problem before replacing the stock textures with my own. The game is looking in the bitmaps.map file for shared textures, and it uses them instead. You can either remove the bitmaps file from your maps directory and put it back after you compile your map, or better yet rename the textures and re-reference them in the files with guerilla.

Badass Blue

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 01:33 AM    Msg. 5 of 10       
I've already done that...However I've left the card bitmaps for the weapons as the default, would this be causing my problem? Also, I don't know how to open the "bitmaps.map" file in Guerrilla to change/add references (Guerrilla and KornmanGuerrilla both say I have to "set my working directory" - doesn't come up when editing tags though).

I'm in the process of combing through all my custom tags to fix any errors. So far everything is okay.

EDIT
Alright, I found the problem and managed to fix it! HAZZA! I found the problem by looking into the modded, and compiled, BG map with a hex editor and found that the referencing wasn't what I had entered in Guerrilla. Tool.exe is just a "tool" I suppose...I replaced the default texture I'd left in my "assault rifle red" tag directory with the custom texture, which I'd placed in another directory, while making sure the custom texture adopted the name of the vanilla texture. And now it works! I just have to reiterate these steps for my other custom tags and I'm done!

Thanks for your help everyone. I definitely learned a new lesson...
Edited by Badass Blue on Jan 12, 2017 at 07:18 AM

Okay, slight problem...It stopped working again once I'd reiterated my steps to fix the custom red assault rifle tag over the other tags I made. This time Tool.exe just completely ignores the referencing and goes to the defaults unlike the last test I did where the red assault rifle was working.
Edited by Badass Blue on Jan 12, 2017 at 08:50 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 12:57 PM    Msg. 6 of 10       
you're running as an admin...right? Halo, Guerilla and Tool?

Badass Blue

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 09:06 PM    Msg. 7 of 10       
Everything but Guerrilla and Sapien is set to run as administrator. I set them to run as admin just now, I'll see if that helps.
Edited by Badass Blue on Jan 12, 2017 at 09:08 PM

EDIT
Okay, setting Sapien to run as admin worked...I noticed that before I set it to admin, all the modifications I added yesterday weren't saved even though I clicked save scenario in the file menu. Now that it has permissions to save, I added the custom tags back in but now the textures of the assault rifles and pistols the character is holding is the stock texture. They retain their modded textures on the ground though...I guess I forgot to save my changes to the fp gbxmodels.
Edited by Badass Blue on Jan 12, 2017 at 09:39 PM
EDIT 2
I guess I'll have to add these custom tags to a map of my own, instead of a stock map, for them to work properly...
Edited by Badass Blue on Jan 12, 2017 at 10:35 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 14, 2017 08:56 AM    Msg. 8 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: Badass Blue

Everything but Guerrilla and Sapien is set to run as administrator. I set them to run as admin just now, I'll see if that helps.
Edited by Badass Blue on Jan 12, 2017 at 09:08 PM

EDIT
Okay, setting Sapien to run as admin worked...I noticed that before I set it to admin, all the modifications I added yesterday weren't saved even though I clicked save scenario in the file menu. Now that it has permissions to save, I added the custom tags back in but now the textures of the assault rifles and pistols the character is holding is the stock texture. They retain their modded textures on the ground though...I guess I forgot to save my changes to the fp gbxmodels.
Edited by Badass Blue on Jan 12, 2017 at 09:39 PM
EDIT 2
I guess I'll have to add these custom tags to a map of my own, instead of a stock map, for them to work properly...
Edited by Badass Blue on Jan 12, 2017 at 10:35 PM

you must run EVERY SINGLE PROGRAM as an admin, I'm not 100% on the reason but I'm like 90%;

You're running Halo in the Program Files directory. Windows sees this directory as vulnerable, for that reason it doesn't allow modifications to be made to it. What it does instead is creates some weird directory where these files are saved to. However, when the program loads it doesn't load from this weird directory. Especially if Halo.exe runs as an admin but your tools don't.

So, run EVERY SINGLE PROGRAM as an administrator or else nothing you do is going to save right. That's like the very first rule of every operating system past windows XP.

Super Flanker

"To punish & enslave"

Posted: Jan 14, 2017 09:51 AM    Msg. 9 of 10       
Blergh its wrong.
Edited by Super Flanker on Jan 14, 2017 at 01:41 PM

BlackSabbath

"Please believe me my love, and I'll show you"

Posted: Jan 14, 2017 01:29 PM    Msg. 10 of 10       
Le_bump

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri February 24, 2017 6:55 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website