A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Recreating (All-Skulls-On) for the Halo CE PC engine.

Author Topic: Recreating (All-Skulls-On) for the Halo CE PC engine. (12 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

ChieftainSnipe

Flyin' High

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 07:46 PM    Msg. 1 of 12       
Hi all!

I've been thinking about making the Halo CE (All-Skulls-On) Campaign project to replicate it for the PC engine. I've used the Real-Time editing tool A.K.A. 'gameditor 1.3.0.0' which allows me to edit various tag options such as rounds per shot and shield vitality for enemy AIs, etc as practice.

So for the Recession skull replication, I simply change the rounds per shot to 2 instead of 1. But there are a few skulls such as the Grunt Birthday Party, Grunt Funeral and Malfunction skulls which are quite difficult to replicate in the Halo CE engine since I'm still an inexperienced modder.

Any comments, questions or suggestions are welcome.
Edited by ChieftainSnipe on Jan 25, 2017 at 08:06 PM

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: Jan 26, 2017 01:53 AM    Msg. 2 of 12       
I'm new at modding, but does the OS' actor_variant could be useful here?
I mean, you set up the headshot effect and if value x is true(by script or externally) so that grunts have a nice birthday?

ChieftainSnipe

Flyin' High

Posted: Jan 26, 2017 02:08 AM    Msg. 3 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: cippozzo
I'm new at modding, but does the OS' actor_variant could be useful here?
I mean, you set up the headshot effect and if value x is true(by script or externally) so that grunts have a nice birthday?

I'm doing it without Open Sauce. And also, In classic mode of Halo CEA or MCC, there was no confetti besides the children cheering when the player scores a headshot on a grunt. For the real time editing tool as alTIs showed on YT, the things I can play around with to replicate the skull effects from CEA are explosion radiuses, actor_variant's health + shield vitality, but there are some other skulls such as grunt funeral skull which are quite difficult to replicate and permanently disabling the motion sensor as well as the malfunction skull which could only be done with devmode commands.
Edited by ChieftainSnipe on Jan 26, 2017 at 02:14 AM

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: Jan 26, 2017 02:59 PM    Msg. 4 of 12       
I would use the HEK for the majority of this.

Grunt Birthday is easy; in the collision model find the grunt's head and change it's material type to be Engineer. You'll also want it to be destroyed after taking damage, IIRC there's an option somewhere in there that handles that.

Now you'll have to find the material response effect, for each weapon, for the Engineer and modify it to include whatever confetti effect you're gonna create, and the sound effect for the cheering.

So, you shoot the head, the head is destroyed, confetti goes everywhere.

If you shoot the head a second time, nothing happens.

.....BUT, if you were to kill the grunt with body shots, you could technically shoot the corpse's head and get the confetti effect. So you'll have to play with this a little.

cippozzo

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 11:06 AM    Msg. 5 of 12       
Actually they're using the same tools, but upgrading them.
have a look at development walkthrough.
As of Halo 5 they might have changed them alot.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 11:28 AM    Msg. 6 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: CHRISPOCALYP5E
So I'm guessing Halo 2 and 3 didn't use the same tools as CE did?

Did any data miners ever find anything by the name 'skull.tag' or are they set up more differently than I imagined...?

Halo 1 to 3ODST used BLAM! (steadily upgraded from title to title)

Halo Reach was the 2nd Halo title to use a totally new engine (if I am not mistaken) as so Bungie claims. Halo 4 uses whatever HR used with some obvious tweaks. Not sure about H5g.

I do know that supposedly from H2 to H4 that remnants of the Havok enjin were added for physics/AI e.t.c

The anniversary titles use a blend of whatever enjin the remaster is covering plus sabre's spiffy new stuff on top.

Stuff is hard to find. It's probably because no one bothered to lease the goodies.

cippozzo

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 11:40 AM    Msg. 7 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Halo Reach was the 2nd Halo title to use a totally new engine (if I am not mistaken) as so Bungie claims. Halo 4 uses whatever HR used with some HORRENDOUS tweaks. Not sure about H5g.

It's still blam I guess, same tag structures.

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 01:05 PM    Msg. 8 of 12       
All of Bungie's engines were redesigned and restructured versions of the last generations BLAM engine.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 01:30 PM    Msg. 9 of 12       
Every halo FPS uses blam, although the upgrades in h5 are the most extensive jump since h1->h2.

Skulls in H1A don't require any modification of the maps, its all done either though the new rendering engine that works alongside the original and memory editing done at runtime.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jan 28, 2017 05:37 AM    Msg. 10 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: cippozzo
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Halo Reach was the 2nd Halo title to use a totally new engine (if I am not mistaken) as so Bungie claims. Halo 4 uses whatever HR used with some DIABOLICAL tweaks. Not sure about H5g.

It's still blam I guess, same tag structures.

Ling Ling Lang

Are you finding Ling Ling?

Posted: Jan 28, 2017 09:57 AM    Msg. 11 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: CHRISPOCALYP5E
So I'm guessing Halo 2 and 3 didn't use the same tools as CE did?

Did any data miners ever find anything by the name 'skull.tag' or are they set up more differently than I imagined...?

Halo 2 uses blamscript (specifically, the function "ice_cream_flavor_stock <long>") to tell the game when a certain skulls properties should be activated. I don't know about 3, and I'm not inclined to believe skulls were ever tag-based, but you're better off asking the console modding scene.

ChieftainSnipe

Flyin' High

Posted: Jan 29, 2017 05:20 AM    Msg. 12 of 12       
Just a heads up, I'm thinking of doing the skulls without the use of Open Sauce to start things off.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu December 12, 2019 5:07 PM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website