A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Is it illegal?

Author Topic: Is it illegal? (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

CHRISPOCALYP5E

You've Encountered Another LASO Master!

Posted: Feb 1, 2017 06:41 AM    Msg. 1 of 8       
I just need a quick fact check here (finally got perma-banned from those corrupt idiots at Waypoint so I cannot ask there)... Some people weren't too pleased when I mentioned making a Fallout mod with stuff I ripped from Custom Edition nor making a HCE mod with Fallout 4 and Halo 5 assets...

Now, is modding illegal? There is some underground gaming network that hosts files that cannot be listed on the fallout nexus due to copyright etc. and I'm not sure if HCE itself would have some hidden files there too for the same reason.

I mean its not like I care, my stuff is private (unless I take pictures, videos or release it) so I'm technically not violating anything right? I mean I am but its not like I'm distributing anything especially for profits or claiming ownership...

...OR am I just acting overly paranoid and should just shut up and continue on my project?

EDIT: Relax, its just a curious question. Thanks for the info dudes. I always had this on my mind ever since I heard of modding and the kind of attitudes it receives in various communities.
Edited by CHRISPOCALYP5E on Feb 2, 2017 at 06:37 AM

Super Flanker

Synthetic furnishings, rails and no safety.

Posted: Feb 1, 2017 07:18 AM    Msg. 2 of 8       
Dude how insecure are you that you need to ask such a BLATANTLY basic question.

Or have I read the drama wrong and you just want some attention because you like the way it makes your prostate fizzes.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 1, 2017 02:38 PM    Msg. 3 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Or have I read the drama wrong and you just want some attention because you like the way it makes your prostate fizzes.

Yeah that was a bit of a stretch.

To answer the question; Modding is illegal from a copyright standpoint. This is a very difficult and gray area however.

How it works is this; If you take content from a game and release it in a manner that allows you to generate revenue, that's illegal.

If you take assets from one game and move them into another game, that's kind of illegal too.

But on a real world level; If you take assets and try to release it for money, you're gonna get shut down. If you're building a game based on a copyrighted work that interferes with the IP holder's business, you're gonna get shut down.

Examples would be the Halo RTS fan game that was shut down when Halo Wars was being developed. Because they were creating a game based on Microsoft's franchise that could compete in any way with their ability to utilize that franchise, they were shut down.

Also, if you do anything at all using Nintendo assets, expect to get a very swift Cease and Desist. Nintendo is the worst.

Microsoft is actually fairly cool about all this stuff;

These are their rules
Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 1, 2017 at 02:41 PM

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Feb 1, 2017 04:37 PM    Msg. 4 of 8       
uranium sucked anyway

OrangeJuice

I laugh at people who put STUDIO in their names.

Posted: Feb 1, 2017 11:04 PM    Msg. 5 of 8       
I'm usually the kind of person who doesn't give a care in the whole world what other people think unless I get a C&D from someone who actually matters in my case ^_^

Ergo: A random fanforum admin has no say in my modding practices, screw them. But if the devs themselves have beef, that's when I behave

Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 2, 2017 at 08:39 PM

Super Flanker

Synthetic furnishings, rails and no safety.

Posted: Feb 2, 2017 11:15 AM    Msg. 6 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
I'm usually the kind of person who doesn't give a care in the whole world what other people think unless I get a C&D from someone who actually matters in my case ^_^

Genuine thug. ^

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Feb 6, 2017 09:35 PM    Msg. 7 of 8       
to me its like sampling. is it illegal? sometimes. does anyone care? not unless you're getting rich off it. and a lot of folks like seeing what people do with their work, and im sure that goes for vidya devs too.

groomingabe

Trigger finger has tourettes. I love it :)

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 08:34 PM    Msg. 8 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

https://media.tenor.co/images/67164b3656353e10806740c021b37cf6/raw

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu March 23, 2017 4:08 PM 171 ms.
A Halo Maps Website