A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Achieving the Pixelated PS1-look ?

Author Topic: Achieving the Pixelated PS1-look ? (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Feb 3, 2017 10:40 PM    Msg. 1 of 6       
Is there a way I could change the rasterizer for a single map to achieve the pixelated PS1 look, like how Dino Crisis or Metal Gear renders its scenes, at full resolution ( without resorting to 640x480? )

I realize that there are certain moods and atmospheres that only work with these kinds of artstyle

EDIT:

I got somewhat close by using the cinematic tools:

(cinematic_screen_effect_start 1)
(cinematice_screen_effect_set_convolution A B C D E)

I got it to be somewhat pixelated, but it also blurred it a little too. What do A and B do in this command ??

I know that C = starting convolution
D = final convolution
and E = transition time
. But I don't know what A and B do.

As there are still noticeable sacrifices when using a cinematic screen effects during gameplay, my questions still stand

Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 6, 2017 at 06:50 PM

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Feb 6, 2017 09:38 PM    Msg. 2 of 6       
i have no idea how to do this but holy hell i want to see what youre cooking up with that, sounds like it would be super cool. have you tried plugging in boundary values (as small and lrage as you can get) to figure out what a and b do?

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 06:14 PM    Msg. 3 of 6       
New questionnn ! ! !

If I wanted a security system:

What would it take to make a texture(like a monitor's screen) display info from a camera or camera track in real time?
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 7, 2017 at 07:49 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 06:29 PM    Msg. 4 of 6       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

New questionnn ! ! !

If I wanted a security system:

What would it take to make a texture(like a monitor's screen) display info from a camera or camera track in real time?

(and could it be done with OpenSauce IDE ?)
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 7, 2017 at 06:14 PM

Moving sequences basically?

Well tbh it is possible but it takes an enormous amount of effort to get even 2 - 3 seconds of footage to play right.

Basically you'd need to chop up your source material into individual frames and assemble them into an animated sprite sheet.

It's by no means practical since you'd have to manually place 70 - 80 snapshots into a sprite which is to be polite a fugging nightmare.

If only someone could get .bink working in CE.

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 09:36 PM    Msg. 5 of 6       
id recommend just faking it. faking it would be super easy. have em walk up to it and press a button to use or something and just switch the camera. if you want to be fancy you could model the outside of the screen, and have a texture with the overlay in the screen and the rest transparent, so it looks like youre lookin at the monitor when it switches to a new camera.

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Feb 8, 2017 07:30 AM    Msg. 6 of 6       
Ps1 you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX-5nyCyfmQ

You might be able to turn off the texture filtering so they become blocked when up-scaled instead of blurry, otherwise you can scale them up with paint.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue October 17, 2017 11:44 PM 296 ms.
A Halo Maps Website