A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Compiling with Tool.exe "map file appears corrupt"

Author Topic: Compiling with Tool.exe "map file appears corrupt" (35 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halomind

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 08:33 PM    Msg. 1 of 35       
At the moment I am trying to create a simple box level with a flat plane and that's all. I've followed the tutorial from the Halo PC Editing Resource on the first part of creating a simple level, at the moment my current .max and .jms file are located in a created directory as was instructed by the tutorial. Directory being

C:\Halo\data\levels\test\tutorial\models

I also saved the same .max and .jms files in the Halo CE directory, that being

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\levels\test\tutorial\models
(though for some reason I can't visibly see the files in the Halo CE directory, as opposed to the Halo directory where I can visibly see the files.)

Once I get compiling with tool, I type in what was instructed into the command prompt, that being "tool.exe structure levels\test\tutorial field"
(field being the name of the .max and .jms file)

Full path entered into prompt: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>tool.exe structure levels\test\tutorial field

First line to output is "map file appears corrupt" followed by what appears to be the level being compiled.

Also noted, opening guerrilla showed that only the field.scenario_structure_bsp was created and not the field.scenario

Any solution to this? Is my syntax off or is it the level geometry?

Edited by Halomind on Feb 10, 2017 at 08:34 PM
Edited by Halomind on Feb 10, 2017 at 08:35 PM
Edited by Halomind on Feb 10, 2017 at 08:47 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 10:05 PM    Msg. 2 of 35       
use this;

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3819

instead of Blitzkrieg. See if that fixes the error.

I've never actually used Blitzkrieg as I've never had a copy of Max8.

Halomind

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 10:55 PM    Msg. 3 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
use this;

Any clarification on how to use this? Do I do anything with the JNS_Exporter_v1-0-2.ms file?

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Feb 11, 2017 05:16 AM    Msg. 4 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halomind
use this;

Any clarification on how to use this? Do I do anything with the JMS_Exporter_v1-0-2.ms file?

Open up max, hit the maxscript tab and choose run script. A window will open which should by default take you to the scripts directory which would be located wherever you installed max, paste the .ms file into there and then double click on the script to open it.

(You can technically run the script from any address on your pc, but the scripts folder is there so why not use it?)

Halomind

Posted: Feb 11, 2017 01:07 PM    Msg. 5 of 35       
Was able to export using the JMS exporter but I'm still getting the map file is corrupt message.

The tutorial I'm using is this
http://hce.halomaps.org/hek/index.html?start=references/level_design/mp_level_design/mp_ld_level_creation_part_01.html

but I've only completed the Level Creation - Part 1.

Do I need to add more to the map to successfully compile it?

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 07:36 AM    Msg. 6 of 35       
Was able to export using the JMS exporter but I'm still getting the map file is corrupt message.

The tutorial I'm using is this
http://hce.halomaps.org/hek/index.html?start=references/level_design/mp_level_design/mp_ld_level_creation_part_01.html

but I've only completed the Level Creation - Part 1.

Do I need to add more to the map to successfully compile it?

I definitely recommend completing the HEK tut but it'd also help to give is a screen cap of your map and maybe a copy and paste of tools debug output.

Halomind

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 04:34 PM    Msg. 7 of 35       
Quote:
I definitely recommend completing the HEK tut but it'd also help to give is a screen cap of your map and maybe a copy and paste of tools debug output.

Here are the images for my current map in 3ds Max and tool.exe compiling that map.
(Sorry, not sure how to properly paste a picture into this post.)

http://imgur.com/a/Hq9jA

Here is the text from debug.txt from the Halo Custom Edition directory.

02.10.17 07:03:50 tool pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
02.10.17 07:03:50 reference function: _write_to_error_file
02.10.17 07:03:50 reference address: 42ca20
02.10.17 07:03:50 map file appears corrupt

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 04:51 PM    Msg. 8 of 35       
Quote:

Here are the images for my current map in 3ds Max and tool.exe compiling that map.
(Sorry, not sure how to properly paste a picture into this post.)

http://imgur.com/a/Hq9jA

Here is the text from debug.txt from the Halo Custom Edition directory.

02.10.17 07:03:50 tool pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
02.10.17 07:03:50 reference function: _write_to_error_file
02.10.17 07:03:50 reference address: 42ca20
02.10.17 07:03:50 map file appears corrupt

Are you running all your programs as an administrator? If Halo is in your program files directory, you'll need administrator rights in order to properly access the files in there.

Halomind

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 06:45 PM    Msg. 9 of 35       
Quote: Are you running all your programs as an administrator? If Halo is in your program files directory, you'll need administrator rights in order to properly access the files in there.

At the moment still getting the same error. I ran 3ds Max 8 as administrator, re-saved the .max file and re-exported it into a .jms file (using the export method rather than running the JMS exporter script since I wasn't allowed to drag and drop the .ms file)

I then ran tool.exe as administrator and am still getting same "map file corrupt" message followed by the level compiling.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 07:02 PM    Msg. 10 of 35       
Edit:

Right click the geometry; convert to editable mesh.

You should collapse all the modifiers before export, and be sure it's a mesh before export. Try that let me know how it goes.
Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 12, 2017 at 07:09 PM

Halomind

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 07:27 PM    Msg. 11 of 35       
You should collapse all the modifiers before export, and be sure it's a mesh before export. Try that let me know how it goes.

Here's the geometry collapsed, and I right clicked the level to make it into a editable mesh.

http://imgur.com/a/JHB3f

Ran 3ds Max 8 as administrator, made into a editable mesh, re-saved and re-exported, ran tool.exe as administrator and I got the same error.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 07:45 PM    Msg. 12 of 35       

Here's the geometry collapsed, and I right clicked the level to make it into a editable mesh.

http://imgur.com/a/JHB3f

Ran 3ds Max 8 as administrator, made into a editable mesh, re-saved and re-exported, ran tool.exe as administrator and I got the same error.

Upload the .max file, I'll take a look tonight and figure it out.

Halomind

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 11:23 PM    Msg. 13 of 35       
Quote: Upload the .max file, I'll take a look tonight and figure it out.

Here's my .max file for download, link is safe.

http://jmp.sh/I1OLhLZ

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 04:48 AM    Msg. 14 of 35       

http://jmp.sh/I1OLhLZ

Progress report hamster?

BTW Halomind the actual geometry doesn't seem to be the problem as it looks too simple to go wrong. I should also point out that although your debug info does state that "map file appears corrupt" tool was still able to compile the .jms data successfully.

The next step would be to open guerilla, assign a sky .tag to the map and check the multiplayer option.

After that run radiosity and see if any other "map corrupt" errors pop up.

Tool syntax for that btw is:

tool lightmaps levels\test\tutorial field\tutorial field tutorial field 0 0.1

Oh and for future reference replaces all spaces with underscores.

I.E death canyon.jms would be death_canyon.jms

Halomind

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 02:27 PM    Msg. 15 of 35       
Quote:
BTW Halomind the actual geometry doesn't seem to be the problem as it looks too simple to go wrong. I should also point out that although your debug info does state that "map file appears corrupt" tool was still able to compile the .jms data successfully.

The next step would be to open guerilla, assign a sky .tag to the map and check the multiplayer option.

The .jms file does appear to have compiled correctly in the prompt but I still have the issue of only having the field.scenario_structure_bsp file and not the field.scenario file created.

picture of directory when looking for a file with guerilla.
http://imgur.com/a/pzXmx

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 04:03 PM    Msg. 16 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Progress report hamster?

After that run radiosity and see if any other "map corrupt" errors pop up.

Tool syntax for that btw is:

tool lightmaps levels\test\tutorial field\tutorial field tutorial field 0 0.1

Oh and for future reference replaces all spaces with underscores.

I.E death canyon.jms would be death_canyon.jms

Gonna download in a few minutes. Recheck his tool window; it correctly assigns the verts but has 0kb of collision info. While I suppose all the collision data could be less than 512 bytes, beings that it's 4 verts, I find it unlikely.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 06:39 PM    Msg. 17 of 35       

Gonna download in a few minutes. Recheck his tool window; it correctly assigns the verts but has 0kb of collision info. While I suppose all the collision data could be less than 512 bytes, beings that it's 4 verts, I find it unlikely.

Oh I missed that.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 02:14 AM    Msg. 18 of 35       
But I was mistaken; it does in fact compile 0kb of collision data.

Sorry, but the link you uploaded compiled perfectly. Created a BSP and Scenario file, without the mapfile appears corrupted.

All I did was open, inspect the model for a few seconds, export with Bluestreak.jms (NOT Blitzkrieg), and build with stock Tool.exe

No errors, no corrupted map, compiled fine with the same 0kb as yours.

Soo, something with your setup is wrong. Something isn't running as admin or Blitzkrieg is junk or what have you. Can't really say what it is, but your setup isn't good for making BSPs.

It 100% can be fixed, no question about it. It's not fate or god or your PC's hardware. Something isn't setup how it should be, or isn't running as it should be, and that's the result. I would always use Bluestreak over Blitzkkrieg, and make sure you right click Tool.exe, adjust properties and set TOOL to run as administrator. Not CMD, Tool.exe, the thing you can't just open and run.

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 04:02 AM    Msg. 19 of 35       
Ohhh adorable! I remember when I used to make tons of boxmaps, I really enjoyed the day I figured out tool.

Anyways, i'm testing your file too, It also save 0kb of collision for me as well(bobbysoon's JMSexporter 104e). I'm testing other aspects of it:

So far I've:

• Made sure there were no open edges,
  • Made sure the UVW mapping was all on channel 1,
  • Made sure the materials follow proper naming convention,
  • My tool didn't say it was corrupt(regular tool, not OS_tool)
  • I checked Guerilla, there is indeed collision, let's just assume Tool only counts data if it goes past Kb sizes.
  • Map is ingame just fine

OHHH ! ! And are you using the Max 8 version of Blitzkrieg instead of the Max 5 version that comes with the HEK?
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 14, 2017 at 04:20 AM

• Halomind

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 11:15 AM    Msg. 20 of 35       
    Quote: OHHH ! ! And are you using the Max 8 version of Blitzkrieg instead of the Max 5 version that comes with the HEK?

I've actually been using the version that came with HEK, I'll update whether it works or not.

UPDATE: downloaded blitzkrieg from link provided by OrangeJuice, replaced blitzkrieg.dle in the plugin folder of 3ds Max 8 as well as the 4 .dll files in windows\System32, re-exported the map, compiled, got the "map file is corrupt" error in the end.
    Edited by Halomind on Feb 14, 2017 at 11:26 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 05:04 PM    Msg. 21 of 35       

Try exporting to a different directory, instead of levels\test\tutorial

Halomind

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 05:41 PM    Msg. 22 of 35       

How would you go about that? Unless I'm doing it wrong, I made a models folder in the levels folder, directory being C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\levels\models

Then typing into tool.exe, I put "tool.exe structure levels field" I get the same result.
    I tried using the cd\ command to change the directory to my created directory C:\ Halo but tool refuses any directory other than C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 05:42 AM    Msg. 23 of 35       

How would you go about that? Unless I'm doing it wrong, I made a models folder in the levels folder, directory being C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\levels\models

Then typing into tool.exe, I put "tool.exe structure levels field" I get the same result.
    I tried using the cd\ command to change the directory to my created directory C:\ Halo but tool refuses any directory other than C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition

Try jms exporter 104e or junglegym.

Halomind

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 07:37 PM    Msg. 24 of 35       
    Quote: Try jms exporter 104e or junglegym.

Tried but to no success. At this point I'm kinda at a loss, this "map file is corrupt" error never appeared before working on my own level, when I compiled the tutorial.scenario file provided by the HEK before starting this, it appeared to compile fine, but now when I try to compile the tutorial.scenario file, it gives me the error. Maybe I possibly moved around or deleted a file I wasn't supposed to somewhere, I'm thinking I'll just reinstall everything at this point and then try again with a clean slate.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 09:13 PM    Msg. 25 of 35       
    Quote: Try jms exporter 104e or junglegym.

Tried but to no success. At this point I'm kinda at a loss, this "map file is corrupt" error never appeared before working on my own level, when I compiled the tutorial.scenario file provided by the HEK before starting this, it appeared to compile fine, but now when I try to compile the tutorial.scenario file, it gives me the error. Maybe I possibly moved around or deleted a file I wasn't supposed to somewhere, I'm thinking I'll just reinstall everything at this point and then try again with a clean slate.

Don't despair these types of things happen from time to time. The best thing you can do is keep regular backups of your work.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 05:44 AM    Msg. 26 of 35       
    Wait.

Did you do that thing where you create a file called toolbeta.map?

Because your error messages don't list "Missing toolbeta.map"

If you made a toolbeta.map, delete it.

Alex

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 10:53 AM    Msg. 27 of 35       
    You should make your own folder for your test maps and not use other already used folders. Create one by going to your data directory and create a folder, name it whatever you want.

Inside that folder make 2 new folders called models and bitmaps.

Copy the tutorials ground bitmap from the tutorial bitmap folder into your own bitmap folder.

Change the directory in your material editor in max to your newly placed bitmap inside your bitmaps folder.

Make sure the map is correctly linked to the frame and export it. Personally I use JMS Exporter v 1.0.2 by CtrlAltDestroy, https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj2hszv85TSAhXkL8AKHdzCBpMQFgghMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhce.halomaps.org%2Findex.cfm%3Ffid%3D3819&usg=AFQjCNFsObeEf1Cbtm-RsYr5Xm9gkiCoYQ&sig2=prjxz6IRkd4yqlfS9n6eQg&bvm=bv.147134024,d.ZGg . Open it inside of max by going to scripting then to run script then open up the script. Click export jms data the navigate to your data directory then go inside models and export it to there.

Name it whatever you want. Then go inside tool (RUN AS ADMIN) Then type the following: tool bitmaps levels/*insert folder name here*/bitmaps

Run it and it should work. Then, type the following: tool structure levels/*Insert folder name here* *Insert JMS file name here*

Hit enter. It should compile successfully. Normally when you have more materials it should come up with something saying which shaders you want. In this case it hasn't happened so you shouldn't worry. It should just compile successfully. You can create your shader manually later.

I get the same thing where it says there is 0kb collision data but that is most likely because the map is so simple it's hardly anything. However I don't get the map is corrupt error because I probably didn't use a already used folder. Hope this helps!

Edited by Alex on Feb 17, 2017 at 07:04 AM
    Edited by Alex on Feb 17, 2017 at 07:05 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 06:02 PM    Msg. 28 of 35       
    Btw OP there is no need start every syntax with "tool.exe".

"tool" will do just fine.

Halomind

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 03:21 AM    Msg. 29 of 35       
    Definitely going to try these suggestions once testing this week in school is over, will update soon.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 09:59 AM    Msg. 30 of 35       
    Update.

Halomind

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 01:03 AM    Msg. 31 of 35       
    Wait.

Did you do that thing where you create a file called toolbeta.map?

Because your error messages don't list "Missing toolbeta.map"

If you made a toolbeta.map, delete it.

Back at it

I tried both DeadHamster and Aex's suggestions and found that deleting my toolbeta.map finally got rid of the "map corrupt" error. Much thank's for the input guys, but the field.scenario file still doesn't seem to have been created.

Any further suggestions?

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 02:46 AM    Msg. 32 of 35       
    Just curious...
    How did you even find a toolbeta.map

Halomind

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 04:02 AM    Msg. 33 of 35       
    Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
    Just curious...

I just went into my Halo Custom Edition folder and typed "toolbeta" into my search bar, found the file, then deleted.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 12:31 PM    Msg. 34 of 35       
    Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
    Just curious...

There is a thing you do where you purposefully create toolbeta. But it ruins everything so never do it.

OP reinstall???

Halomind

Posted: Feb 23, 2017 04:13 PM    Msg. 35 of 35       
    Quote:
    There is a thing you do where you purposefully create toolbeta. But it ruins everything so never do it.

OP reinstall???

I will get into possibly reinstalling it and testing out whatever works again, but since the my original problem was solved for this post, I'll start a new post for whatever problems I might possibly have in the future. Much thanks to everyone for the input and time, massively exceed my expectations!
    Edited by Halomind on Feb 23, 2017 at 04:14 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu December 14, 2017 7:48 PM 281 ms.
    A Halo Maps Website