A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Changing lightmaps

Author Topic: Changing lightmaps (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

KasperZERO

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 08:33 PM    Msg. 1 of 9       
I'm trying to mod a Halo 1 Xbox level to make it night. I thought the lightmaps were stored as bitmaps under levels/test/bloodgulch/bloodgulch, but when I modify those files the lightmap seems to have changed but the map's glitched red and yellow, not dark or black

Does anyone know how to properly change the lighting of a map with HMT or another tool?

EmmanuelCD

Esteban se la come

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 08:45 PM    Msg. 2 of 9       
You have to run radiosity again (aka bake lightmaps to night), in order to do this you need tool and the scenario tags

Change the sky the map to nightime (usally a50) and save it

Open tool as admin and type "tool lightmaps level\map_name\map_scenario 0 0.9"

for example

tool lightmaps levels\bloodgulch\bloodgulch 0 0.9

Kinnet

Don't feed the hand that bites you.

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 09:03 PM    Msg. 3 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: KasperZERO
I'm trying to mod a Halo 1 Xbox level to make it night. I thought the lightmaps were stored as bitmaps under levels/test/bloodgulch/bloodgulch, but when I modify those files the lightmap seems to have changed but the map's glitched red and yellow, not dark or black

Does anyone know how to properly change the lighting of a map with HMT or another tool?

https://www.mediafire.com/?ygw8t6i6vpxgt6z
lightmaps of bloodgulch on night, it should work well.

Tucker933

Tucker933.com

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 09:38 PM    Msg. 4 of 9       
You don't need to re-run radiosity. There's a lot of bitmaps that go into lightmaps, and it can be easy to mess up the sequence, so just retry injection a few times if it's not working. Also make sure the file size isn't being updated if asked on injection. I've modified both the stock bloodgulch and deathisland bitmaps manually using HMT just fine.
Edited by Tucker933 on Feb 16, 2017 at 09:39 PM

KasperZERO

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 10:57 AM    Msg. 5 of 9       
I modified the files in PS and was able to maintain the correct file size so it doesn't need to be updated. I inject everything back in order, but when the map loads it's all red and yellow checkered everywhere

Is there something I'm missing? I don't understand how things could be getting out of order, unless there are more bitmaps I'm missing in another tag.
Edited by KasperZERO on Feb 17, 2017 at 10:58 AM

JadeRifter

I'm a real light sleeper, Childs.

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 11:07 AM    Msg. 6 of 9       
I did the lightmaps in CE and just converted the entire map to PC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsbHIJuhCLI
Injecting is probably a better idea. If you're having those weird patterns in the lightmap I think it means it's not finished, or it got corrupted from injection. I've had this problem using the wrong image compression before with HMT, maybe it's that.

KasperZERO

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 11:49 AM    Msg. 7 of 9       
Jade this is exactly what I'm aiming for. I thought it was possible this way but I can't find any resources for this anymore :/

I save the files from Photoshop CS2 using the Nvidia plugin as 5.6.5 RGB 16 bpp unsigned, No MIP maps. The file size remains the same and so I can inject back into the level with HMT without having to correct the size.

I just want to mention also when I try to go down the list of bitmaps injecting in sequence I get an error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. So instead I click on another tag and then click back on the lightmap tag before I move on to the next image in the set.
Edited by KasperZERO on Feb 17, 2017 at 12:10 PM

Tucker933

Tucker933.com

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 01:22 PM    Msg. 8 of 9       
Try using Eschaton to inject: https://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/717-eschaton-081/

For that, just use bmp images rather than dds.
Edited by Tucker933 on Feb 17, 2017 at 01:23 PM

KasperZERO

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 02:51 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
Tucker, it worked Thanks buddy

I used Eschaton 0.8.2, imported all black bitmaps over each lightmap in the set.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed September 20, 2017 12:31 PM 359 ms.
A Halo Maps Website