A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »OS_Tool data file corruption

Author Topic: OS_Tool data file corruption (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Sinow

Everybody Lies

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 05:56 PM    Msg. 1 of 9       
Hey guys, its been a good while, just wondering if anyone experienced in OS can fix this problem for me, which I have been ignoring for about a year and a half until now.

Until now, Every 25 or so map compiles suddenly makes os_tool say "invalid data format in bitmaps" or something along those lines then exception (and that's all it knew), but my logs were deleted when I reinstalled. It did so for loc and sounds as well, and once the error occurred, any scenario would exception upon compilation, regardless if regular tool or OS without memory upgrades.

I was always running "os_tool build-cache-file-ex "" 0 1 1 scentest" and that command has always worked for me.
The way I fixed it was simply copying and pasting the original data files into my maps folder, and it would fix it temporarily. Naturally I uninstalled OS, HEK, and HCE in that order, cleared out the folder (I did keep my tags and data folders in the directory, its... a lot of data to move, but I did revert my globals) and reinstalled, but the issue persists, sometimes I have to completely reinstall to be able to compile again.

Any ideas? The only other errors I get are a flood of "invalid bitmap type in <whatever>" in Sapien that slows my computer and fills my screen until I use error_suppress_all, but I'm guessing its from certain textures that I put as interface bitmaps so I could push them to 2048. Also I just realized I replaced some rasterizer textures in my globals, but I'm pretty confident that this was happening before that.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 07:45 PM    Msg. 2 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sinow
Hey guys, its been a good while, just wondering if anyone experienced in OS can fix this problem for me, which I have been ignoring for about a year and a half until now.

Until now, Every 25 or so map compiles suddenly makes os_tool say "invalid data format in bitmaps" or something along those lines then exception (and that's all it knew), but my logs were deleted when I reinstalled. It did so for loc and sounds as well, and once the error occurred, any scenario would exception upon compilation, regardless if regular tool or OS without memory upgrades.

I was always running "os_tool build-cache-file-ex "" 0 1 1 scentest" and that command has always worked for me.
The way I fixed it was simply copying and pasting the original data files into my maps folder, and it would fix it temporarily. Naturally I uninstalled OS, HEK, and HCE in that order, cleared out the folder (I did keep my tags and data folders in the directory, its... a lot of data to move, but I did revert my globals) and reinstalled, but the issue persists, sometimes I have to completely reinstall to be able to compile again.

Any ideas? The only other errors I get are a flood of "invalid bitmap type in <whatever>" in Sapien that slows my computer and fills my screen until I use error_suppress_all, but I'm guessing its from certain textures that I put as interface bitmaps so I could push them to 2048. Also I just realized I replaced some rasterizer textures in my globals, but I'm pretty confident that this was happening before that.

Os_Tool in OS4 no longer compiles datamaps correctly. You shouldn't compile datamaps, however, unless you're doing a multimap project like CMT.

The correct function would be;

os_tool build-cache-file-ex "" 0 0 1 scentest

This will internalize all datamaps.

BUT, you now need to get stock Bitmaps.map, sounds.map and loc.map

Because you ran the function without giving a modname, like

os_tool build-cache-file-ex "scentest" 0 1 1 scentest

it overwrote the standard bitmaps.map, sounds.map and loc.map files. Again, you want to use the command above so that it internalizes this data. You don't want it in external datamaps as this is only useful for multi-map projects such as SPV3.

So find a stock copy of those three maps, place them in your maps folder, and always use the function above. "" 0 0 1

Sinow

Everybody Lies

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 08:15 PM    Msg. 3 of 9       
Thanks man, really appreciate it.

...would you by any chance know how to save the modified lightmaps/BSP after editing it in Sapien? lol

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 08:45 PM    Msg. 4 of 9       
The painting tool doesn't work.

You run the commands as such

radiosity_quality 0/1 [debug/final quality]
radiosity_start

once all 3 values are at 0.0000

radiosity_save

Make adjustments to the radiosity section up at the top of your level's SKY tag. Any scenery objects with non-dynamic lighting will also affect radiosity, as will any shaders applied to BSP surfaces which are setup to be light-emitting shaders. For example; The colored forerunner light strips that give off a red or blue glow.

edit: Then hit File>Save or CTRL+S to actually save the files, of course.
Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 18, 2017 at 08:45 PM

Sinow

Everybody Lies

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 08:50 PM    Msg. 5 of 9       
Thanks, I've never actually run radiosity in all my years. My issue is, many BSPs I use are way, way too dark in shady areas, and adjusting brightness makes things too bright in the light areas. No way to fix that without Max I assume?

If only I spent my time learning 3d modelling.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 08:56 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sinow
Thanks, I've never actually run radiosity in all my years. My issue is, many BSPs I use are way, way too dark in shady areas, and adjusting brightness makes things too bright in the light areas. No way to fix that without Max I assume?

If only I spent my time learning 3d modelling.

Everything can be done with the SKY tag and Sapien;

The values in the light tag with the checkbox on "Sun" at the bottom of the sky tag controls the sun spotlight.

There are values at the top of the tag that control the "minimum radiosity". An area receiving no light will always be at least that bright, and the sun will add onto that. There should be indoor and outdoor values.

Sinow

Everybody Lies

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 09:01 PM    Msg. 7 of 9       
Ohhhhh sick, I never knew that. Thanks a bunch, those two things have bugged me for... ever. I appreciate your time.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 09:10 PM    Msg. 8 of 9       
Always happy to help out.

Curious, what are you cooking up that you need to use OS?

Sinow

Everybody Lies

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 09:51 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
Ah, I've been into HCE since around 06, and have worked with a variety of people, and have a quite a number of projects... but I'm one of those people that never considers anything finished, and by the time I do, someone else with more skills has done the same thing. I mainly use Halo to quickly test my level design on new BSPs, when FarCry4 is too limiting and CryEngine takes too long to set up a level.

I wrote a wall of text to describe what I've done and what I'm doing, but meh.

That said, I've always needed OS since it came out, since memory upgrades and scripts are practically a necessity on all my maps. I make a crepeload of SP maps. Lots of stuff that I feel like I'll be unnecessarily tooting my horn by listing it, and I can't tell you how humbled I feel by being back here and seeing all the progress made lol.

Basically the only skills required by HCE that I don't think I have an in-depth understanding of is in 3D modelling, which is severely limiting. =(

Edit: is the minimum radiosity the ambient radiosity power/color at the top of the sky tag, or ambient color in the BSP/materials?
Edited by Sinow on Feb 18, 2017 at 10:22 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu April 27, 2017 4:36 PM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website