A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »glowing enemies

Author Topic: glowing enemies (19 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

KasperZERO

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 12:11 AM    Msg. 1 of 19       
is there a way to mod enemy bitmaps (the multipurpose etc) to make them glow? if not how could I make certain features of enemies glow, like eyes etc?

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 02:14 AM    Msg. 2 of 19       
Attaching a lens flare might work.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 03:48 AM    Msg. 3 of 19       
I think he wants an actual glow on parts. What you want to do is to open up the multipurpose map and modify the green channel. Whatever is marked white will have your self illumination properties applies. Once you compile the bitmap again, you can set it in the shader.

Short list version
- Grab desired model's multipurpose bitmap
- Convert to usable format
- Draw where you want glow in green channel
- Compile with tool
- Put into Shader
- Set self illumination properties in said shader
- Done!

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 04:48 AM    Msg. 4 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: KasperZERO
is there a way to mod enemy bitmaps (the multipurpose etc) to make them glow? if not how could I make certain features of enemies glow, like eyes etc?
try a lens flare, that's a glow no?

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 05:17 AM    Msg. 5 of 19       
I think he means that certain parts of models aren't affected by darkness, like assault rifle screens are Always lit even in shadow

KasperZERO

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 10:06 AM    Msg. 6 of 19       
@lolslayer, yes, like the red cross on first aid kits or those glowing logos and things on elites.

@R93 Sniper I modified the green channel of the multipurpose bitmap. could you go into more detail about compiling the bitmap and the shader?

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 11:26 AM    Msg. 7 of 19       
I'm finally useful in the modding community!!!

KasperZERO

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 12:05 PM    Msg. 8 of 19       
It's nice to see some of the Halo modding community is still around.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 12:22 PM    Msg. 9 of 19       
First of all you need to define "glow"

-Glow around the model, made with lens flares
-Glow in the surface, made in bitmaps in multiprouporse
-Glow that affects BSP and other elements, ataching a dynamic light to a markers...

KasperZERO

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 01:20 PM    Msg. 10 of 19       
glow as in the surface, made with bitmaps and multipurpose. Like how the text on ammo models or the red cross on health packs glow. Grunts also have small white lights on their backpacks. Plasma rifles have glowing symbols and things. This kind of glow, nothing to do with lens flares or dynamic lighting.

So jackals, for example. I color their eyes green in the multipurpose and inject that back into the map but that doesn't do it. I'm assuming I have to modify shaders also but don't know what I need to do to them.

If you could even just point me to some documentation or tutorials regarding this stuff that would be awesome. I don't know where else to look for halo modding resources anymore. Been searching

Edited by KasperZERO on Feb 21, 2017 at 01:23 PM

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 01:24 PM    Msg. 11 of 19       
In shader model find self-illumination and change colors to white or whatever color you want.

KasperZERO

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 01:47 PM    Msg. 12 of 19       
In HMT and Eschaton I see color of emitted light. I change that but no difference.

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 02:21 PM    Msg. 13 of 19       
Why aren't you using HEK?

KasperZERO

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 03:08 PM    Msg. 14 of 19       
Because I'm mostly trying to mod for Xbox. Never used HEK before.

DOOM899

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 06:56 PM    Msg. 15 of 19       
Because I'm mostly trying to mod for Xbox. Never used HEK before.
your better off using halo ce.

KasperZERO

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 07:08 PM    Msg. 16 of 19       
You know what, considering that, I'll invest in getting Halo PC if I can find a copy. Just never owned the game for computer tbh. I always loved Xbox.

Still if you happen to know something about this I would appreciate any advice you could offer, even if somebody could just confirm that this is possible to do either on the Xbox or on CE.

I know this may not be the place for help modding Xbox when this is a CE forum, but all the Xbox forums are (to my knowledge at least) all down. You guys have still just helped me out a ton though.

DOOM899

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 07:16 PM    Msg. 17 of 19       
You know what, considering that, I'll invest in getting Halo PC if I can find a copy. Just never owned the game for computer tbh. I always loved Xbox.

Still if you happen to know something about this I would appreciate any advice you could offer, even if somebody could just confirm that this is possible to do either on the Xbox or on CE.

I know this may not be the place for help modding Xbox when this is a CE forum, but all the Xbox forums are (to my knowledge at least) all down. You guys have still just helped me out a ton though.
well if you going to get halo ce not pc http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=410 or if you will Halo Custom Edition, all you need is a cd key and boom you have game.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 07:49 PM    Msg. 18 of 19       

Why the Xbox? Aside from the reason of not owning a PC copy.

Who do you play with? Are you interested in serious gameplay with peeps who play all tactical and stuff?

KasperZERO

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 08:18 PM    Msg. 19 of 19       
I prefer to play on the TV. I'm not a serious gamer, hence why I'm just trying to do some reskinning mods and aesthetic stuff to visually enhance the game a bit for myself .. the more I look into this though I may get HCE so I can get into making machinemas

FYI, I found the offsets for Color of emitted light lower and upper in the shader model meta file, from offset x78-x83 and x84-x8F. I used a hex editor and voila, glowing.

Edited by KasperZERO on Mar 2, 2017 at 09:11 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun March 24, 2019 2:28 PM 265 ms.
A Halo Maps Website