A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Jetpack as a weapon

Author Topic: Jetpack as a weapon (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

nathaninthailand

I like carbines. Too much probably.

Posted: Feb 25, 2017 10:16 PM    Msg. 1 of 5       
This is something I'm just sort of throwing out there.
I know it's possible to have a jetpack style thing with scripts or lua, but it doesn't sync well, and it looks a little odd. (at least the ones I've seen)
Knowing that people have added boosts to custom ghosts by adding explosion effects, does that mean such a thing would be possible through some sort of weird weapon coding? Or do all weapon projectiles have to come from the front of the barrel?
I don't know anything as much as I could (or should) about Halo modding, so forgive me if this is clearly impossible.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Feb 26, 2017 10:47 AM    Msg. 2 of 5       
Quote: --- Original message by: nathaninthailand
I know it's possible to have a jetpack style thing with scripts or lua, but it doesn't sync well, and it looks a little odd. (at least the ones I've seen)
Knowing that people have added boosts to custom ghosts by adding explosion effects, does that mean such a thing would be possible through some sort of weird weapon coding? Or do all weapon projectiles have to come from the front of the barrel?
I don't know anything as much as I could (or should) about Halo modding, so forgive me if this is clearly impossible.

All weapon projectiles originate from a special marker. A marker in simple terms is a basic primitive which you can place wherever you want on your model within your favourite 3d app, though usually modders situate them at the end of a barrel because it makes sense to.

Generally the type of marker which your projectile or firing effect originates from is called the "primary trigger" though it can be named something else entirely .

So to answer your question, no projectiles aren't always constrained to the front of a barrel. They can be established wherever you set your marker.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 26, 2017 01:55 PM    Msg. 3 of 5       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

All weapon projectiles originate from a special marker. A marker in simple terms is a basic primitive which you can place wherever you want on your model within your favourite 3d app, though usually modders situate them at the end of a barrel because it makes sense to.

Generally the type of marker which your projectile or firing effect originates from is called the "primary trigger" though it can be named something else entirely .

So to answer your question, no projectiles aren't always constrained to the front of a barrel. They can be established wherever you set your marker.

Eh no.

On 99.999% of guns projectiles are fired from the screen. This is to make calculating trajectory accurate for the player. The markers are used to display firing effects, as you said

If you deselect the bitmask in the weapon tag that says "fired from screen", it will fire from the weapons marker, towards the center based on a certain distance. If your target is before the distance, your projectile will hit to the right of the crosshair. If your projectile goes a long distance, it ends up to the left of the crosshair. It breaks the weapon from the player's point of view.

You can edit XYZ and rotation positions that control the projectiles orgin. These are located in the weapon tags.
Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 26, 2017 at 01:57 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Feb 27, 2017 12:17 PM    Msg. 4 of 5       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Eh no.

On 99.999% of guns projectiles are fired from the screen. This is to make calculating trajectory accurate for the player. The markers are used to display firing effects, as you said

If you deselect the bitmask in the weapon tag that says "fired from screen", it will fire from the weapons marker, towards the center based on a certain distance. If your target is before the distance, your projectile will hit to the right of the crosshair. If your projectile goes a long distance, it ends up to the left of the crosshair. It breaks the weapon from the player's point of view.

You can edit XYZ and rotation positions that control the projectiles orgin. These are located in the weapon tags.
Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 26, 2017 at 01:57 PM

That's what I said.

nathaninthailand

I like carbines. Too much probably.

Posted: Feb 27, 2017 02:16 PM    Msg. 5 of 5       
So could a "weapon" be made that fires an explosion effect opposite the direction you're looking? So you could "steer"?
I've done almost no 3d modeling, so how complicated would this be for me to learn and model?
Also, is there a way, either through SAPP, lua, or scripts, or some other method, to have zero G on a map?

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu December 14, 2017 8:13 AM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website