A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Recruiting for HRCMT (Halo Reach Campaign Mapping Team) (lots of text)

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Recruiting for HRCMT (Halo Reach Campaign Mapping Team) (lots of text) (53 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

HaloAU

Posted: Mar 4, 2017 11:16 PM    Msg. 1 of 53       
Hello, I am looking for a team of of skilled individuals to help me develop a halo reach themed campaign. This campaign will be a retelling of Halo 2 / 3, and a "sequel" to CMT SPV3 with the same philosophy in mind. Revamp these campaigns with elements of later games with custom scenarios, discarded content, etc. All in the halo reach art style. This will be a series that will require open sauce as there will be vehicle boarding, abilities, fire rate changes, and cross map unlocking (TBD). The goal amount of levels I am hoping to make is 23+, enough to cover both games. I'm not gonna lie, it will take a great deal of time and effort, possibly a few years (2-3 Conservative estimate).

EDIT: I do intend to start of with prototype levels before moving on to the main idea so as to see if they work, can be improved and work with the story. I get that this is a huge undertaking of a project, Rome wasn't built in a day, its obvious that this will take a great deal of time and effort, so please quit pointing out what I already know, it contributes nothing. Also I'm not just a writer, I'm a sound designer, and voice actor, and can be a generally good manager, I am stern but 'lax fair in most cases, But have a very strict no bottle necking policy.

I can understand if you have life issues or need a break away from the team, but if your work is hardly started when the rest of the team is half way done due to refusal of participation, you can assure yourself that you will be kicked out of the team with extreme prejudice, because why fill the slot with someone who doesn't work for the team? it serves no purpose, other than to slow down the campaign, and frustrate team mates.

Since most of the assets we will be using are going to be premade / already existing, that takes a huge chunk of developing time out of the process leaving more time for story development, map design, coding, cinematics, sound design, and weapon balancing. I intend to make this campaign a reality, cynical negativity be damned.

Questions that are to be preemptively answered:

Q: Why halo reach?

A: I like the art style and designs, The hands still look pretty even in a 10 year old engine unlike halo 3's, CMT's art style only has one spartan designed and I intend to have more than one, plus it will be the very first English halo reach single player mod.

Q: Will the arbiter be playable?

A: TBD, it's a matter of if we can make his levels fun to play, otherwise He will be relegated to cut scenes and encounters. I do intend for him to be a nemesis through out the game.

Q: Will all the tags be custom?

A: No, At most we'll have custom drawing / reload animations for preexisting reach/CMT tags (there are plans though for a reach themed battle rifle, but that will probably involve splicing models rather than building one from the ground up). We'll also be changing the speed of certain vehicles to fit the feeling of speed reach had for it's vehicles, and possibly import and change some of the fan vehicles like the black wasp from the map solitude. Using pre-made tags helps cut down on time spent modelling weapons, when we can be modelling maps.

Q: Will the maps be custom?

A: For the most part yes, we intend to have the maps be fully custom made, but we do intend on borrowing assets from preexisting maps to save on time or using multiplayer maps entirely and modifying them / expanding them.

Q: Will there be any interesting game play scenarios?

A: There are a few ideas we have.

1: Space Battle /enemy ship infiltration.

2: On rail shooter on warthog turret/passenger seat, possibly even falcon or pelican.

3: arkham predator scenario emulation.

4: Flood horror scenario where you are unarmed, unshielded, and badly injured in the middle of a flood hive.

5: Global battles

Staff Required:
The current staff we have right now are voice actors, sound engineers, and writers. None of us are very technical people, nor are we experienced in modding, we are just people trying to bring a vision to life, and we need your help.

Animators
(First Person Animations, Cutscenes, Etc)

Map designers:
(decides how the map will be designed, where enemies, weapons, vehicles, and events will be placed.)

Programmers familiar with all of the scripting languages halo and opensauce uses.
(Scenarios, vehicle paths, scripted events, cutscene triggers, tag balancing, etc.)

Modellers:
(model splicing, model editing, bsp modelling, etc.)

Tool guys:
(putting the map, scenarios, and assets together, using modding tools like hek, and open sauce, etc)

Texture atrists:
(editing colors / textures on bipeds, weapons)

Item requirements:

Halo Reach Weapon tags

halo reach mark V biped tag

Cmt spv3 covenant weapon tags

Cmt spv3 boarding and ability scripts

Cmt Spv3 loadout scripts

Halo Reach FPS hands

H2A Elite and Arbiter biped tags.

Halo reach Marine biped tags

There are obviously more things we need. Feel free to volunteer and join my mapping team.

Discord: https://discord.gg/6hkPZpw

Edited by HaloAU on Mar 6, 2017 at 12:51 PM
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 10, 2017 at 11:16 AM

YottaBiter

Circle of Jerks

Posted: Mar 5, 2017 01:23 AM    Msg. 2 of 53       
Quote: None of us are very technical people, nor are we experienced in modding, we are just people trying to bring a vision to life, and we need your help.

First of all, you don't just come barging in and make a thread knowing nothing and no amount of work done in the first place.
Secondly, It's not gonna be possible mate. The best of the best even tried to do similar stuff but almost two decades old engine isn't capable enough to do much good. And the amount of time it will require...
Anyways, wanna make campaigns?? Move over to 5 Forge. Make AI. Implement it. BOOM!

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Mar 5, 2017 05:37 AM    Msg. 3 of 53       
Okay, if you don't have much experience I wouldn't start with a big project like this, just make a few small SP maps first and get to know the engine before making your dream project

I'm certain that it's possible to have a similar art-style as reach in open sauce, but it will take a lot of time of artists to create

Don't move to halo 5 forge, please, the AI will not work well in forge and you won't be able to create campaigns in it (AI will never be able to navigate in forge maps with the H5 engine)

You can ask for a skilled team, but most skilled modders here or completely stopped modding (some will still help out with some problems), or they're busy with other big projects that are or aren't publically announced, so I wouldn't expect that anybody or at least enough skilled modders will join your group, you and the ones in the group atm should learn how to create the art, scripts and map design yourselves I'm affraid

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Mar 5, 2017 06:56 AM    Msg. 4 of 53       
I tried making my own very basic singleplayer campaign with Reach weaponry and bipeds a year ago or something.
It was a lot of work doing it alone and I got de-motivated and abolished the whole thing.

2 to 3 years is an extremely optimistic estimate to achieve what you propose. Especially if your team is going to be composed of hobbyists.

Not trying to shoot this down though, so good luck, because you're gonna need lots of it.

HaloAU

Posted: Mar 5, 2017 07:51 AM    Msg. 5 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
Okay, if you don't have much experience I wouldn't start with a big project like this, just make a few small SP maps first and get to know the engine before making your dream project

I'm certain that it's possible to have a similar art-style as reach in open sauce, but it will take a lot of time of artists to create

Don't move to halo 5 forge, please, the AI will not work well in forge and you won't be able to create campaigns in it (AI will never be able to navigate in forge maps with the H5 engine)

You can ask for a skilled team, but most skilled modders here or completely stopped modding (some will still help out with some problems), or they're busy with other big projects that are or aren't publically announced, so I wouldn't expect that anybody or at least enough skilled modders will join your group, you and the ones in the group atm should learn how to create the art, scripts and map design yourselves I'm affraid

That's why when we get the team at full strength we intend to make a few prototype levels with simple missions before going on to the bigger project.

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
I tried making my own very basic singleplayer campaign with Reach weaponry and bipeds a year ago or something.
It was a lot of work doing it alone and I got de-motivated and abolished the whole thing.

2 to 3 years is an extremely optimistic estimate to achieve what you propose. Especially if your team is going to be composed of hobbyists.

Not trying to shoot this down though, so good luck, because you're gonna need lots of it.

Thanks I understand that this will be a lot of work, making custom games from the ground up isn't easy, the 2-3 years length of development was a conservative estimate, it's probably going to be more like 4-6 depending on how many staff we have, the more staff we have the shorter the development cycle is. If we have more animators, we can get the weapon animations done faster, and move on to cinematics. the more coders we have, the faster we can script maps, the more modellers we have, the quicker we can make our BSPs. Alot of the assets we need (weapons, bipeds, vehicles, and structures, props, and foliage) are already made, which cuts a huge chunk of the development. now it's only a matter of designing, coding and importing our assets, and making them fun to play.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 5, 2017 at 08:16 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: YottaBiter
Quote: None of us are very technical people, nor are we experienced in modding, we are just people trying to bring a vision to life, and we need your help.

First of all, you don't just come barging in and make a thread knowing nothing and no amount of work done in the first place.
Secondly, It's not gonna be possible mate. The best of the best even tried to do similar stuff but almost two decades old engine isn't capable enough to do much good. And the amount of time it will require...
Anyways, wanna make campaigns?? Move over to 5 Forge. Make AI. Implement it. BOOM!

I would recommend you watch this video about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_drX3DoRnQ
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 5, 2017 at 08:18 AM

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Mar 5, 2017 10:47 AM    Msg. 6 of 53       
A conservative estimate....? I don't think you know what that word means. A conservative estimate would be the larger time frame you stated rather than the shorter time frame. To put together a team to work on anything CE related is very difficult to do. Putting a team together that can do this project is near impossible due tot he lack of experienced and skilled members. On top of that those skilled members would never touch a project such as this because from experience they would know that this will never come close to being complete. To top it all off people who have the skill set to do this rather work on something smaller, polished, practical, and maybe even original.

Good luck on creating content for the engine. My advice is to work on many small things. Learn from them and soon enough you'll be creating some really cool content.

O yea, do create a team or a network of friends to collaborate with. Will help you learn things and make your experience more enjoyable.

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Mar 5, 2017 03:07 PM    Msg. 7 of 53       
hey if this fails anyone involved is welcome into my team actually working on stuff that will come out :)

HaloAU

Posted: Mar 5, 2017 07:13 PM    Msg. 8 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo
A conservative estimate....? I don't think you know what that word means. A conservative estimate would be the larger time frame you stated rather than the shorter time frame. To put together a team to work on anything CE related is very difficult to do. Putting a team together that can do this project is near impossible due tot he lack of experienced and skilled members. On top of that those skilled members would never touch a project such as this because from experience they would know that this will never come close to being complete. To top it all off people who have the skill set to do this rather work on something smaller, polished, practical, and maybe even original.

Good luck on creating content for the engine. My advice is to work on many small things. Learn from them and soon enough you'll be creating some really cool content.

O yea, do create a team or a network of friends to collaborate with. Will help you learn things and make your experience more enjoyable.

if you read my reply you would have seen once I get the team together we intend to start off making prototype levels.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 5, 2017 at 07:13 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Mar 5, 2017 10:52 PM    Msg. 9 of 53       
I'm going to link you to a video, real quick, and then i'm going to outline a few things.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xfxx27HbM4

So if you're too lazy to try to take away points from it, here's the big TLDR for you.

Quote:
1. Keep it simple
- Its easy to think of something big you can do within a small amount of time. Take that big idea, peel back the big portions and simplify to its core.
- One idea well refined > many ideas done "ok"

2. Communication (This applies more to when you're working with a team)
- A team that doesn't communicate well, doesn't do well
- If you're having issues, ask your teammates. It's also alright to ask help from elsewhere if need be (just be courteous)
- If things are coming together / You're being bottlenecked by a person, talk to team members to sort out issues. You'll be happier and more organized in the end
- Compromise where required. You cant always do things your way

3. Don't spend TOO much time thinking
- You can easily think of the "perfect" idea before you start working, don't do that. It'll hurt you in the long run
- You'll learn your tools better as you're working with them, and you'll understand your limitations and find better exploits.
- Less time overthinking = More time working = More time getting used to your situation = the better your project can get.
- You may come up with better ideas from doing than just thinking! (Doom 2016's Glory Kill system spawned from that mentality, btw).

4. Compromise
- Make sure something is ABSOLUTELY required before setting it in stone
- If you cannot compromise, your project will die
- Passion is good, but don't let it get in the way
- If good ideas are being thought and discussed, don't shut it down, and instead try to see if you can work with it.

5. Know what to save
- You want to get things done in a reasonable amount of time. You'll be coming up with ideas as you work, save some for a later project
- Don't get distracted, focus on the core ideas, not the infinitely many mid-development
- Don't be afraid to cut stuff out, use it later.

As a forward notice, you can obviously take these with a grain of salt, but from an objective standpoint, most of these are pretty solid. I've adapted these a bit more to fit your situation over whats being said in the video but the point is there.

Generally speaking, your idea is pretty large and "idea people" who do nothing more than provide a narrative for workers to follow tend to be pretty useless and hated. Learn the tools and watch some tutorials, figure stuff out and just go from there. Instead of trying to do something like copy CMT (which by the way, for a starter like you is a terrible idea because of scope), do something a bit more unique and just go plot stuff out.

Going to self plug for a moment here, but its relevant and pretty much the epitome of this situation. When I was working on OSS, it was conceived as a spur of the moment idea, literally a full campaign mission being made as a birthday present for my friend (The birthday of which was about 10 days after). First thing I did was just draw up some map designs, core ideas, and sneakily asked some questions pertaining to the map. Got some voice actors, a person to help model the level, and someone to help me doing the tagwork. I did the animations, implementation, and encounters. It took me about 14 days before I gave it to said friend (namely because mixing first and third person animations is not fun, especially when you don't understand what local axis animating is), but most of the work was able to be finished within 4 days because everything was well coordinated. Through the process, I learned how to animate better, implement scripts, animations, figure out first person cutscenes and even how to implement custom music. I didn't understand how to do ANY of that before I started, but hell if I wasn't motivated to learn.

With that anecdote over, I HIGHLY suggest you go over your idea, cut it down, and take up a larger burden before you start trying to find people to hand tasks to. If you can prove yourself to be willing to learn and understand, I assure you that people will come to help.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 11:46 AM    Msg. 10 of 53       
Don't run before you can walk.

Start off small then work your way up.

Don't bite more off than you can chew.

You shouldn't take on higher level stuff before you have mastered the basics.

You must learn to fly before you can soar with banshees.

Don't put the cart before the horse.

HaloAU

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 12:53 PM    Msg. 11 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Don't run before you can walk.

Start off small then work your way up.

Don't bite more off than you can chew.

You shouldn't take on higher level stuff before you have mastered the basics.

You must learn to fly before you can soar with banshees.

Don't put the cart before the horse.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/wnod.gif

If you read my replies you would know that once I recruit enough members I intend to have the team start with concept prototypes, please read before you respond with a condescending post and gif thank you very much.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 01:54 PM    Msg. 12 of 53       
And now you're copy pasting your response. If you read our replies, you would know that we're trying to help you out with advice we've learned over time. You seem far too keen on doing nothing and taking credit for everything. Git gud before you ask for help kthnxbai

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 02:23 PM    Msg. 13 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: HaloAU

If you read my replies you would know that once I recruit enough members I intend to have the team start with concept prototypes, please read before you respond with a condescending post and gif thank you very much.

That stratagem isn't likely to succeed unless you manage to recruit a highly skilled member who would be willing to carry the rest of the team. (including you)

It would be far more efficient to learn a little bit more about the Halo modding craft. Take note of what tasks you immediately take to and what things you really hate doing and either try to learn them or take into account that you would need to find a person/s to specifically fill the role/s which you cannot.

If you browse the depths of this forum you'll be able to understand why so little modding teams actually work as a cohesive unit let alone stay together for more than a period of say 6 weeks before becoming sick of eachother.

In order to be successfull you first need to attract a group of like minded individuals who have some knowledge in varying fields. (tagging, scripting, modelling, animating, concepting)

You then need to agree to a common goal between all of you which becomes significantly harder with the more people you recruit. (More people = more ideas = varying hopes and ideals = chaos)

After that vanish from here for a period of say a few months and then return with shiny WIP's and a glittering text wall informing us all of your current endeavors, where you hope to be in certain period of time and available slots/roles which people who aren't already part of your team can take up.

Then vanish again for however long you deem neccessary trickling updates every so often so as not to turn the interest and excitement stale.

And once again re-appear with perhaps a release or beta of the fruits of your labours, take on board criticism try not to be offended by every single comment and then discuss with your team what you wish to achieve next.

That is all a broad outline and can definitely be improved upon and adjusted to fit the requirements of whoever.

The key thing to remember here is there is no real recipe to start and then keep a modding team going, there isn't a book of regulations or an advice service dedicated to this kind of thing but there are basic structures and practices in place which everyone should attempt to include at some point.

With all that said, I wish you good luck on your goals and your vision.

killzone64

Too many hobbys not enough time

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 04:55 PM    Msg. 14 of 53       
tldr you will not get anyone to help you unless you show some sort of substance beforehand. i got people to help me with my projects due to me attempting some difficult stuff and showing progress on it. now i am working with a full team that is building a mp and sp campaign.

also go ahead and try to port a reach campaign map. good luck to you. its a pain in the @$$ to convert reach maps to ce without destroying geometry. there are almost 180 different bsp sections or clusters throughout the whole campaign. each cluster having its own encounters and scenery pieces. each encounter will need to be remade. each and every tiny model ported. and thats only scratching the surface.
Edited by killzone64 on Mar 6, 2017 at 04:58 PM

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 06:45 PM    Msg. 15 of 53       
I'll just put my 2 cents in that combining the SPV3 tagset with anything but other SPV3 content is a bad idea, unless you are just replacing visuals. Weapons and AI aren't just interchangeable, these things are all made to work in tandem.

HaloAU

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 09:31 PM    Msg. 16 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
I'll just put my 2 cents in that combining the SPV3 tagset with anything but other SPV3 content is a bad idea, unless you are just replacing visuals. Weapons and AI aren't just interchangeable, these things are all made to work in tandem.

I'm just replacing visuals because CMT's weapons are very pretty while still maintaining the reach aesthetic (especially the plasma pistol and needle based weapons). Same goes for the cmt vehicles, using the visuals not the functionality. once we recruit enough people we intend to implement our own functionalities to the tags. using your tags just saves us the trouble of modelling our own.

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 09:35 PM    Msg. 17 of 53       
So you are saying both? If you are using our content, you should either use the visuals and the functionality or just the functionality.

If you use our visuals and assign new properties to the weapons, players will be confused as to why the weapons function differently as they associate the visual designs with certain gameplay.

If you use our functionality and appearance, you need to keep that consistent across all the content or things won't play right.

HaloAU

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 09:57 PM    Msg. 18 of 53       
So you are saying both? If you are using our content, you should either use the visuals and the functionality or just the functionality.

If you use our visuals and assign new properties to the weapons, players will be confused as to why the weapons function differently as they associate the visual designs with certain gameplay.

If you use our functionality and appearance, you need to keep that consistent across all the content or things won't play right.

We are taking your visuals, using our funtionality. But we intend to keep it consistant with the tags themselves.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 6, 2017 at 09:58 PM

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 10:32 PM    Msg. 19 of 53       
By definition, you can't use our visual and make it consistent with your visuals. People expect a certain behavior from what they have seen before. If you tightened up the spread on the H1 AR, and put in it a map, no one would know that it is different. The same goes for our content. You are best off just using the reach assets, if you want things to play like reach.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 01:19 AM    Msg. 20 of 53       
By definition, you can't use our visual and make it consistent with your visuals. People expect a certain behavior from what they have seen before. If you tightened up the spread on the H1 AR, and put in it a map, no one would know that it is different. The same goes for our content. You are best off just using the reach assets, if you want things to play like reach.

I would disagree with this. There's also a reason why your weapons by default are terrible in a multiplayer environment, as they're not balanced with that in mind. I also would expect that a non-CMT map that features CMT tags would try to mess with the functionality and values of weapons/vehicles/AI to suit their needs rather than simply using them as is.

Does that mean that he should keep your functionality? Not necessarily. Does it mean he should try to implement is own? Maybe. If it suits the needs of the project, people won't notice, or rather care, for the difference.

Halonimator

https://imgur.com/ZBjOJ4L

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 02:20 AM    Msg. 21 of 53       
Use my tagset, and stop relating with mustardz1337. But be carefull, dont use any vanilla-CMT-zteam-tsce tags. it took me months to balance this thing.
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50038

Edited by Halonimator on Mar 7, 2017 at 02:24 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 03:44 AM    Msg. 22 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator

Use my tagset, and stop relating with mustardz1337. But be carefull, dont use any vanilla-CMT-zteam-tsce tags. it took me months to balance this thing.

To which you've still not explained for.
...Dont ask how do i balanced the tagset, because i dont have a short explanation.
Edited by Halonimator on Feb 4, 2017 at 12:31 AM

I'm willing to hear out the whole thing.
If you have a whole explanation to give that is.

HDoan

"'Tis only happens to them Asians" - ODX 2008

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 04:51 AM    Msg. 23 of 53       

To expand on this, if I was coming in from playing Halo 3/4/5 and all of the sudden the Halo 6 Assault Rifle played like a sniper it would be weird. To change something that is expected forces the users to have to relearn how to use it.

Quote: If you tightened up the spread on the H1 AR, and put in it a map, no one would know that it is different.

This is very important. Why am I as a user motivated to pick up the assault rifle to learn how to use it?

The best thing you can do for this project to succeed is to first decrease your scope. Right now (I could be completely wrong) you should worry about specific aspects instead of the overall project. Don't worry about bipeds, vehicles, or anything except for weapons right now because that is the core of this. Once you get weapons down or rolling then you can add onto your scope. Heck, even use tutorial.map to test the weapons.

My two-cents about a project recreating from another game, don't use custom models and textures unless you can't obtain the extracted material. Your name is Halo Reach Campaign Mapping Team. Not Halo Reach And CMT Campaign Mapping Team. Of course you are more than free to use assets that have been released or obtained, but it doesn't meet your goal of this project.
Edited by HDoan on Mar 7, 2017 at 04:55 AM

lolslayer

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 05:20 AM    Msg. 24 of 53       
Hey man, you've been silent for more than 2 years already

HaloAU

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 07:27 AM    Msg. 25 of 53       

We're only using Covenant tags when it comes to the weapons, We're still using human halo reach weapons, how ever after hearing what you have to say, We might implement your balancing and function to both the covenant cmt tags and the human reach weapons in order to keep the balancing consistent with spv3. I do appreciate the advice. Although we are changing the vehicle funtionality because I've always felt vehicles were kind of slow and always liked the feeling of speed reach gave off. The weapons on the vehicles will stay the same, but we're changing the speed and in the case of covie vehicles we might change how some vehicles lean when turning. There's also talk of bringing in boost using the old fashioned method that would "hurt" you so it will stay stable, unlike the open sauce method. Any advice you can give would be highly appreciated.

Quote: --- This is very important. Why am I as a user motivated to pick up the assault rifle to learn how to use it?

The best thing you can do for this project to succeed is to first decrease your scope. Right now (I could be completely wrong) you should worry about specific aspects instead of the overall project. Don't worry about bipeds, vehicles, or anything except for weapons right now because that is the core of this. Once you get weapons down or rolling then you can add onto your scope. Heck, even use tutorial.map to test the weapons.

My two-cents about a project recreating from another game, don't use custom models and textures unless you can't obtain the extracted material. Your name is Halo Reach Campaign Mapping Team. Not Halo Reach And CMT Campaign Mapping Team. Of course you are more than free to use assets that have been released or obtained, but it doesn't meet your goal of this project.
Edited by HDoan on Mar 7, 2017 at 04:55 AM

Thanks for the advice We should start with prototyping the weapons and balancing them, I will consider using CMT's balancing system since it's the best for campaign, although for multiplayer we might have to come up with our own balancing (assuming we do multiplayer). The reason I want to use CMT's Covie tags is not just because they fit reach's art style, but it's the only way I can bring the shredder in but if worst comes to worst and I have to use reach covie tags I'll probably just use the untextured model and have a team member re-texture it to fit the art style of reach, but keep the code for the damage values from CMT. And this is why I need people like you on the team, because I would have never thought of that.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 7, 2017 at 07:42 AM

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 08:13 AM    Msg. 26 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: HaloAU
There's also talk of bringing in boost using the old fashioned method that would "hurt" you so it will stay stable, unlike the open sauce method.

What. The old fashioned method was a mess and Open Sauce method works perfectly fine so I'm not sure what you're even talking about here.

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 08:14 AM    Msg. 27 of 53       
It's your own funeral. After all what do I know.

Alex

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 08:59 AM    Msg. 28 of 53       
HaloNoobModder117 all over again.

HaloAU

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 02:27 PM    Msg. 29 of 53       
It's your own funeral. After all what do I know.

After doing some comparisons with the reach and cmt tags, it appears that you are right. what I'm probably going to have to do is edit the reach models so they fit and match, but the projectiles and functionality will be the same, but I don't really know how to convert the shredder to the reach art style as there is no real reach analogue (we'll probably have to edit and retexture a copy of the reach needler). The particle carbine I can easily use either the h2a or h3 carbine with a few edits to the body and animation, and just change it's ammo system. everything else is just a matter of transferring animation and damage value data, along with programming the firing behavior for the bipeds.

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 02:33 PM    Msg. 30 of 53       
My two cents: pick an existing tagset and make a cool custom campaign level (start with ONE). Not enough of those around.

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 03:07 PM    Msg. 31 of 53       

Took you months to increase and decrease numbers?

Hmmmmm.

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 03:58 PM    Msg. 32 of 53       

Took "months to balance"

CMT has been modding the engine for ~10 years.

As per maters comments; use the visual assets. I know I didnt download a CMT map. If the assault rifle functions like I expect an AR to function, it wont matter that its not the CMT AR. Even if it looks the same.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 04:42 PM    Msg. 33 of 53       
Half of these people giving you advice on how to handle a project like this have never produced anything anything interesting themselves.

Don't listen to the people on here, they scare every new comer away. If you think you have a good idea, learn, create, make it happen.

Before you focus on anything else, learn the basics of BSP modeling. Screwing with tags on tutorial.map won't get you very far as I'm sure many of these guys have came to find out.

HaloAU

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 05:12 PM    Msg. 34 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW
Half of these people giving you advice on how to handle a project like this have never produced anything anything interesting themselves.

Don't listen to the people on here, they scare every new comer away. If you think you have a good idea, learn, create, make it happen.

Before you focus on anything else, learn the basics of BSP modeling. Screwing with tags on tutorial.map won't get you very far as I'm sure many of these guys have came to find out.

Thank you for the support.

Quote: --- Original message by: CHRISPOCALYP5E

Quote: --- Original message by: Alex

Probably the funniest, somewhat irrelevant post here. Sorry to burst your bubble but sadly I can read and comprehend and that dude was arguing with users over tags. Just stop being so obnoxious. Okay, back to relevance.

This poor soul is suffering the wrath of this community's salty elitist, basement dweller trolls who can't accept new comers and are afraid of the next generation.

Sorry mate don't know why you bothered here, anything other than kissing one of the golden children's rear ends will award you with hate. There are more civilised, serious communities out there. If you want to actually get some helpful info or recruit, go post on some actual Halo/Xbox based forums or even assemble a team off of a Halo game if you chat with some people (I met a lot in the MCC, not surprisingly they steer clear of this joint). Sadly you wont get anywhere with these people. They've probably been sitting on Custom Edition since the dawn of it and need to satisfy their big grunty thirst with port mods since they probably can't play a Xbox and its exclusive Halo games not available to them...

Let's see how many of you get triggered by this reality check, a check some of you obviously can't handle. Just take a look at the rubbish some of you post.
Edited by CHRISPOCALYP5E on Mar 7, 2017 at 04:49 PM

Because cancermaps.org was the only hce community I knew about.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 7, 2017 at 05:14 PM

lolslayer

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 05:32 PM    Msg. 35 of 53       
Quote: --- Original message by: CHRISPOCALYP5E

Quote: --- Original message by: Alex

Probably the funniest, somewhat irrelevant post here. Sorry to burst your bubble but sadly I can read and comprehend and that dude was arguing with users over tags. Just stop being so obnoxious. Okay, back to relevance.

This poor soul is suffering the wrath of this community's salty elitist, basement dweller trolls who can't accept new comers and are afraid of the next generation.

Sorry mate don't know why you bothered here, anything other than kissing one of the golden children's rear ends will award you with hate. There are more civilised, serious communities out there. If you want to actually get some helpful info or recruit, go post on some actual Halo/Xbox based forums or even assemble a team off of a Halo game if you chat with some people (I met a lot in the MCC, not surprisingly they steer clear of this joint). Sadly you wont get anywhere with these people. They've probably been sitting on Custom Edition since the dawn of it and need to satisfy their big grunty thirst with port mods since they probably can't play a Xbox and its exclusive Halo games not available to them...

Let's see how many of you get triggered by this reality check, a check some of you obviously can't handle. Just take a look at the rubbish some of you post.
Edited by CHRISPOCALYP5E on Mar 7, 2017 at 04:49 PM

Lol, Alex is a newcomer aswell, just as I am, only people that are here for 3+ years or so aren't newcomers anymore

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat October 21, 2017 1:39 PM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website