A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »it's a thing. Halo CE 60 FPS

Page 3 of 4 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · 4 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: it's a thing. Halo CE 60 FPS (106 messages, Page 3 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 05:07 PM    Msg. 71 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Some parts of spv3 already are 15fps for me

B40 anyone?

More like your crap job on portals for alpha base. At least that's what everyone complains to me about.

I can't say for certain what causes it, but I've never had performance issues in Halo until I came upon Alpha Base. I play at 1080 on full settings in every map, including SPV3 levels.

Once I hit alpha base I stagger and drop frames like a madman. I tried playing with lowest settings, all OS settings off at 640x480, and was still hitting ~30FPS max.

The portals don't look bad, but something is off there.

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 05:11 PM    Msg. 72 of 106       
probably a mix of a lot of things going on, a lot of high quality models (grunts, canonfodder) and not so good portals.

That bsp is so oddly done in fact that you can get out of it with the ghost boost (in versions that still have it) and just see the whole map is a block and then you can drive under it and see lots of random floating scenery pieces which might be making it worse too.

Halonimator

https://imgur.com/ZBjOJ4L

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 01:29 AM    Msg. 73 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
probably a mix of a lot of things going on, a lot of high quality models (grunts, canonfodder) and not so good portals.

That bsp is so oddly done in fact that you can get out of it with the ghost boost (in versions that still have it) and just see the whole map is a block and then you can drive under it and see lots of random floating scenery pieces which might be making it worse too.

Uhh... And CMT choosed Masterz as their leader. Bad choice, even halonimator fixed this issue with his amazing modified tagset.

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 05:39 AM    Msg. 74 of 106       
End yourself, Halonimator.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 10:23 AM    Msg. 75 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator
amazing modified tagset.

Still haven't described the details of your modifications. How many months has it been now?
To me it's to say you haven't at all. Sucking off the work of a hardworking team and using it to make a mediocre tasteless insults at a key member of said team. You're worse than the Latino rippers.

Unrelated, but on the note of framerate drops and whatnot, I do hope the later levels of SPV3 Pt. 1 do get a bit more polish. Maybe I'm just partial to A10 but it felt like as I was playing through the baseline quality of the maps were getting incrementally lower.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 12:22 PM    Msg. 76 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator
amazing modified tagset.

Still haven't described the details of your modifications. How many months has it been now?
To me it's to say you haven't at all. Sucking off the work of a hardworking team and using it to make a mediocre tasteless insults at a key member of said team. You're worse than the Latino rippers.

Unrelated, but on the note of framerate drops and whatnot, I do hope the later levels of SPV3 Pt. 1 do get a bit more polish. Maybe I'm just partial to A10 but it felt like as I was playing through the baseline quality of the maps were getting incrementally lower.

In what ways? We are doing revisions to pt1 although they are not planned to be that extensive .

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 12:30 PM    Msg. 77 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
End yourself, Halonimator.

Idaho

Mihi Libertas Necesse Est

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 06:16 PM    Msg. 78 of 106       
Could one of the methods shown here be applied to the stock ported campaign maps?

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 06:25 PM    Msg. 79 of 106       
No, same reason it can't be used with SPV3, the recorded animations won't work right as they'd play at double speed, and each frame of animation is actually player input being played back.

Plus the compressed animations used in cinematics can't be doubled in length.

Idaho

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 08:25 AM    Msg. 80 of 106       
No, same reason it can't be used with SPV3, the recorded animations won't work right as they'd play at double speed, and each frame of animation is actually player input being played back.

Plus the compressed animations used in cinematics can't be doubled in length.

I wasn't talking about SPv3 but the stock campaign maps that were ported to Custom Edition, but I guess it wouldn't work as well :/

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 04:14 PM    Msg. 81 of 106       
It's already been done. It's called MCC.

Honestly this community expects to much from people. They won't put the time in to be able to play the game at 60FPS, but they expect others too for them.

OrangeJuice

Yup, It's like working with insufferable neurotics

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 04:51 PM    Msg. 82 of 106       
Let's make some custom 60FPS content :D

Stuff that isn't poly-for-poly remakes that are passed over from other halo games as ``not-ports``

I get tired of halo stuff
Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 31, 2017 at 04:55 PM

Idaho

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 05:02 PM    Msg. 83 of 106       
It's already been done. It's called MCC.

Honestly this community expects to much from people. They won't put the time in to be able to play the game at 60FPS, but they expect others too for them.

I'm not asking anyone to do this for me, I just want to know if it's possible and the amount of work it would require, also the MCC doesn't support modding, so adding extra layers of content onto this wouldn't be possible :/
Edited by Idaho on Mar 31, 2017 at 05:03 PM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 05:03 PM    Msg. 84 of 106       
60 FPS MEGAMAN TAGSET WITH THE ABILITY TO SELECT WHICH ROBOT MASTER YOU ARE THROUGH A LOADOUT SCREEN WHEN YOU JOIN AND YOU GET THEIR WEAPON AND THE GAMEPLAY IS SIMILAR TO MM8BDM!?!!!?!!!

Oskarmandude

Make Halomaps Fully Hectic Again

Posted: Oct 5, 2018 02:56 AM    Msg. 85 of 106       
does anybody remember masterz' case for 30fps? i forgot everything about it except that it happened

Masters1337

Posted: Oct 5, 2018 09:24 AM    Msg. 86 of 106       
It was that 30 FPS doesn't bother me. Still doesn't, I like the more cinematic look it gives games and I don't really like the compromises made to hit 60 in some games (looking at you h5).

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Oct 5, 2018 03:57 PM    Msg. 87 of 106       
I'm more than glad that they took those compromises to hit 60FPS, 30FPS doesn't bother me too much but 60 feels pristine

Kavawuvi

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 11:22 AM    Msg. 88 of 106       
It was that 30 FPS doesn't bother me. Still doesn't, I like the more cinematic look it gives games and I don't really like the compromises made to hit 60 in some games (looking at you h5).

Actually you said you hated 60 FPS. Though this was back in 2015, so I'm sure you've changed your mind over the years.

Personally, I'd rather have a game look like crap but run great, because I think the fluidity and responsiveness of the game enhances gameplay a lot more than visuals. Also, video games are not movies. For one, even with the best PC hardware you can buy today, video games will never look as photorealistic as movies will. Also you need to be constantly interacting with the game, and I feel limiting to 30 FPS usually affects this experience negatively.

That said, I won't knock a game just because it only runs at 30 FPS. Some of my favorite console games are 30 FPS games, such as Halo 2 or Super Mario Sunshine. However, for me to enjoy playing a 30 FPS game, it has to still be good in terms of gameplay despite running at 30 FPS.

However, this is my opinion. You obviously prefer your games to look pretty, and that's fine. I can respect that. On PC, you can have your way via graphics settings. Sadly, most console games, such as Halo 5, lack graphics options, so you have to go with whatever settings were baked into the game by the developers, even if they aren't optimal for you. I think limiting these options does a disservice to the hardcore fans, but I guess they think that having an FOV slider is already scary enough for casual players?

Edited by Kavawuvi on Oct 6, 2018 at 11:31 AM

lolslayer

Posted: Oct 7, 2018 07:36 AM    Msg. 89 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kavawuvi

However, this is my opinion. You obviously prefer your games to look pretty, and that's fine. I can respect that. On PC, you can have your way via graphics settings. Sadly, most console games, such as Halo 5, lack graphics options, so you have to go with whatever settings were baked into the game by the developers, even if they aren't optimal for you. I think limiting these options does a disservice to the hardcore fans, but I guess they think that having an FOV slider is already scary enough for casual players?

Console games should never have advanced graphics options, I do believe that having a few options is great though, as long as it's clear what kind of performance you can expect from it.
Like choosing between a 60FPS mode and a 30FPS mode, and when you have 30FPS enabled, the option for higher resolutions vs better graphics. Things like that would be great for console graphics settings. The option to uncap the framerate either way is also great, you should just know that you can't expect nice constant framerates then.
When I play on console I don't want to tinker around with graphics settings to get the fine line between graphics and performance, I just want to know what framerate I can expect and then automatically get the max out of the machine that would work with that framerate.
(Also, motion blur/FOV would be great to have as individual options, but only if it doesn't significantly affect the performance)

Masters1337

Posted: Oct 7, 2018 12:33 PM    Msg. 90 of 106       
Gears and Tomb Raider have advanced graphics options that work pretty well, just set it between wanting resolution, high fidelity graphics, or framerate.

Most people don't understand FOV and I'd prefer to see the sliders leave the PC games as well. Locking it down for the next version of SPV3 is something I'd really love to do as plenty of idiots go and tinker with it, then end up with a game that doesn't play the way it should.

Regardless, when hitting 60 FPS is the bar you want to hit as a baseline you will have compromises. Gears 4 was so so smart in going for 30 for it's campaign to keep it feeling cinematic and so they could do all the crazy stuff they wanted to do in it.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Oct 7, 2018 03:07 PM    Msg. 91 of 106       
It's a single player game, why do you care how people play it or utilize it?

Removing features and customization like that is a straight up loss and removing options like that makes people not want to play your game or even mod in this case. There's a reason why people like TotalBiscuit (RIP) hunted down options like FOV sliders in games, and it's because PC players find those features important and whether you like that or not doesn't matter because there's people that use it for a multitude of reasons.

Regardless of how much you want people to play your little mod as you designed it and how you intended, people that want to play it their own way and break it are inevitable and you should know this from how people have toyed with Halo campaigns once they're out. Stop trying to control your experience with dumb means like this, it's just stupid and completely ruins player freedom.

Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Oct 7, 2018 at 03:18 PM

Kinnet

Never lucky :c

Posted: Oct 7, 2018 05:37 PM    Msg. 92 of 106       
Agreed, stuff like not being able to use the classic cheats on spv3 were a big turn off for me

Kavawuvi

Posted: Oct 7, 2018 06:06 PM    Msg. 93 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer

Console games should never have advanced graphics options, I do believe that having a few options is great though, as long as it's clear what kind of performance you can expect from it.

I only said graphics options, not advanced graphics options. My problem with many console games is that lots of console games still lack settings for stuff like FOV or being able to toggle post processing effects like motion blur or chromatic aberration. I also feel that having an option to choose between better graphics or better frame rate should be in more games.

Most people don't understand FOV and I'd prefer to see the sliders leave the PC games as well. Locking it down for the next version of SPV3 is something I'd really love to do as plenty of idiots go and tinker with it, then end up with a game that doesn't play the way it should.

I don't think you understand FOV, either.

lolslayer

Posted: Oct 7, 2018 07:10 PM    Msg. 94 of 106       
I only said graphics options, not advanced graphics options. My problem with many console games is that lots of console games still lack settings for stuff like FOV or being able to toggle post processing effects like motion blur or chromatic aberration. I also feel that having an option to choose between better graphics or better frame rate should be in more games.

I definitely agree with that, and like Masterz said, gears and rise of the tomb raider are good examples, but taking the extra step of having a a 30FPS/60FPS mode with an additional layer of customization between higher graphics/higher resolution would be absolutely perfect

Masters1337

Posted: Oct 7, 2018 09:15 PM    Msg. 95 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG

It's a single player game, why do you care how people play it or utilize it?

Removing features and customization like that is a straight up loss and removing options like that makes people not want to play your game or even mod in this case. There's a reason why people like TotalBiscuit (RIP) hunted down options like FOV sliders in games, and it's because PC players find those features important and whether you like that or not doesn't matter because there's people that use it for a multitude of reasons.

Regardless of how much you want people to play your little mod as you designed it and how you intended, people that want to play it their own way and break it are inevitable and you should know this from how people have toyed with Halo campaigns once they're out. Stop trying to control your experience with dumb means like this, it's just stupid and completely ruins player freedom.

Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Oct 7, 2018 at 03:18 PM

I don't really care if people are upset if they lose a feature that dimminishes the expierence of the game. When things are designed to be played a certain way, they should. People change FOV to absurd degrees which messes up more stuff than people realize, and ultimately they will have a less fun expierence playing the game. I rather someone not play SPV3 than play it with some crappy FOV. So that's why I am okay with locking certain things down.

Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
Agreed, stuff like not being able to use the classic cheats on spv3 were a big turn off for me

Stuff like that is more of a technical reason than choice. People who know how to use console correctly though can use alternate commands that do the majority of the same things.

I don't think you understand FOV, either.

I do, most people just don't understand why the FOV is important, especially in a game like halo which is overall pretty slow and the altering of FOV can speed things up such as the perceived acceleration of the projectiles being fired at you. The FOV should always try being as close as it can to what was when the game shipped with the FOV set in mind with 4:3, which is why we have the FOV calculator in the SPV3 launcher. I have seen my share of youtube videos of people playing the game with a higher than intended FOV with a mouse and it completely changes the way they should be interreacting with the ingame elements. Of course we could never remove M&K from the mod but people really shouldn't be playing it with that either, let alone a FOV that stays to far from the calculated FOV from the launcher.

This is of course ignoring the visual problems that can happen at high FOVs, which don't bother me as much as the ones that effect gameplay.

Edited by Masters1337 on Oct 7, 2018 at 09:24 PM

Spartan314

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 09:18 AM    Msg. 96 of 106       
People change FOV to absurd degrees which messes up more stuff than people realize, and ultimately they will have a less fun expierence playing the game.

lol I'm sorry but you have absolutely zero say in how anybody else defines their "fun"
I see where you're coming from in terms of game development, but everything you've said makes you look incredibly parochial

Masters1337

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 01:46 PM    Msg. 97 of 106       
People change FOV to absurd degrees which messes up more stuff than people realize, and ultimately they will have a less fun expierence playing the game.

lol I'm sorry but you have absolutely zero say in how anybody else defines their "fun"
I see where you're coming from in terms of game development, but everything you've said makes you look incredibly parochial

I don't really care how people have their "fun" What I care about is people enjoy our art the way it was intended, and not altered with absurd FOV changes, reshade, or damage/ai edits or cheats.

People can do what they want with it, but I don't have to like it and I don't have to encourage them to do things which are detrimental to their expierence. Are we ever going to lock out reshade, console, FOV? No, but we certainly aren't going to go out of our way to encourage people to use them and shifting people away from higher than the correct FOV for their aspect ratio is something I'd like to double down on.

If people have a problem with that, they can show themselves out the door and not download or support us. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Spartan314

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 09:23 PM    Msg. 98 of 106       
Again, you don't get to decide what is detrimental to their experience because they decide how it is they want to experience it, regardless of how much you design anything.

I'm not saying there's people that won't enjoy your art for the way you've intended, responses on Reddit are clear proof.
I'm saying that the people that want to enjoy it a different way shouldn't be invalidated.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 04:52 AM    Msg. 99 of 106       
I think Neil is forgetting that the word "Custom" is half of the game's subtitle.

lolslayer

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 04:16 AM    Msg. 100 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
I think Neil is forgetting that the word "Custom" is half of the game's subtitle.

Masters1337

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 10:06 PM    Msg. 101 of 106       
Again, you don't get to decide what is detrimental to their experience because they decide how it is they want to experience it, regardless of how much you design anything.

I'm not saying there's people that won't enjoy your art for the way you've intended, responses on Reddit are clear proof.
I'm saying that the people that want to enjoy it a different way shouldn't be invalidated.

I mean yeah sure, people can enjoy it any way they want, but most aren't aware what damage they are doing by cranking up the FOV. Maybe in the new launcher we will give people a warning if they crank it up outside of an aspect ratios desired value by to much.

As much as I would like to lock it down, for reasons stated it would not really be possible to do for the PC crowed (as well as disable M&K support but that's a whole other issue). If this were on console I'd def disable both, but sadly it's not.

Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt

Even so Devin, the point being made is that people often make dumb decisions when they fiddle with things they don't understand. If people went in and made changes to MEK, then complained it crashed or didn't do things right and complained to you, you'd be annoyed too. It's roughly the same thing.
Edited by Masters1337 on Oct 11, 2018 at 10:07 PM

Spartan314

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 10:45 PM    Msg. 102 of 106       
...you'd disable M&K support for a game that's played on a PC?
At this point I'd wonder why you'd decided to create a Custom Edition mod instead of an entirely different game on console

Masters1337

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 11:04 PM    Msg. 103 of 106       
I just said I wouldn't disable it on PC. I would prefer us to not be on the PC and prefer to have it on a console where we had more control over how people play it. But that's not going to happen and I have no interest in a career in game dev or developing games on console, so as far as building Halo on the PC this is as good as it gets. Just because we have to cater to PC gamers, doesn't mean I necessarily like to. SPV3 has always been for console players first and foremost, PC players second.
Edited by Masters1337 on Oct 11, 2018 at 11:06 PM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Some tutorials would be nice...

Posted: Oct 12, 2018 12:37 AM    Msg. 104 of 106       
^^^Halo MCC console mod support confirmed?

Spartan314

Posted: Oct 12, 2018 01:51 AM    Msg. 105 of 106       
Just because we have to cater to PC gamers, doesn't mean I necessarily like to.
Okay, that's fair.

It's just interesting to me because this mindset:
I would prefer us to not be on the PC and prefer to have it on a console where we had more control over how people play it.
is so fundamentally different to my perception of what Custom Edition stands for, and what Custom Edition is best at, that's all.
SPV3 has always been for console players first and foremost, PC players second.
Surely you must see the irony in this statement.

Page 3 of 4 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · 4 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed December 12, 2018 9:50 PM 547 ms.
A Halo Maps Website