A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Thoughts on a reworked shield concept?

Author Topic: Thoughts on a reworked shield concept? (14 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 03:27 AM    Msg. 1 of 14       
So, before I begin, I'm almost 100% sure my project is going to be an utter headache, and furthermore, won't work in CE's engine. Still people here can probably help me think of the implications better than most people... so that's why I'm asking here.

Basically, what I'm thinking of doing is reworking how shields work in Halo. Instead of the shield being a bubble around the player, it will be like a series of palm sized plates that activate when a projectile comes close.

Let's say the player's shield can power a maximum 6 of these plates at once, and each plate will remain for about 0.5 seconds before disappearing, allowing it to block more shots coming at a different area of the body. Plates can be destroyed, and each plate will have a recharge delay of 2 seconds and after that will recharge fully after 1 second. Charge delay can be reset by just hitting any other plate.

Bullets do very little damage, but have the advantage of being much faster than plasma projectiles, while plasma does a fair bit of damage to shield plates, but will almost almost always be intercepted by one due to their travel time.

The reason I'm think of doing this is to make inaccurate weapons just as useful as precision weapons under certain circumstances. An SMG could trigger all plates will little effort at the feet of an opponent, allowing you to switch to a BR or something for a headshot, for example.

It would also encourage the player to use the marines to draw an enemies shield to one side of an enemy, while they flank, and stuff like that.

Charged plasma pistols would still EMP the entire shield and stuff though.

As I said before, I very highly doubt I can get that working in CE, but I could probably get it in Unreal. What I want to know is is this a good idea to expand the shield system... or a really terrible one?

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 05:47 AM    Msg. 2 of 14       
Tweak shield shaders, for cyborg is characters\cyborg\shaders\shield hit.shader_transparent_chicago
I actually did it in 1 2 3 and 7

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 06:40 AM    Msg. 3 of 14       
As in just a visual effect, or a gameplay one?

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 06:41 AM    Msg. 4 of 14       
Quote: --- Original message by: theshadow0222
As in just a visual effect, or a gameplay one?

Visual.

Shield's are hardcoded and cannot be adjusted unless there is a tag field I don't know about.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 06:42 AM    Msg. 5 of 14       
That's what I thought.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 02:53 PM    Msg. 6 of 14       
from a gameplay perspective that makes damage very inconsistent, and would be frustrating for a user as they would be completely incapable of knowing when and where those plates are downed. Visually it'd be cool, but it'd be a pain otherwise for all parties.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 08:19 PM    Msg. 7 of 14       
That was my primary concern.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 03:00 AM    Msg. 8 of 14       
Dont let it discourage you though. Would be a great concept for a large boss-type enemy whose shielding can only be either weakened or pierced. Look into other avenues in which to utilize the idea or refine it into something a bit more user friendly.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 05:10 AM    Msg. 9 of 14       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Dont let it discourage you though. Would be a great concept for a large boss-type enemy whose shielding can only be either weakened or pierced. Look into other avenues in which to utilize the idea or refine it into something a bit more user friendly.

Forget what those annoying sentinel things which fly around knights are called but don't they pretty much have something similar?

Also the sentinel bosses from Halo 2 ag pretty much the same thing too.

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 06:54 AM    Msg. 10 of 14       
Didn't the watchers have more of a Jackal PDG style shield to project over other Prometheans to protect them, and then a regular shield on top of that?

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 05:30 PM    Msg. 11 of 14       
Watchers didnt have their own shields, only health, but yes they'd protect the knights with basically larger jackal shields.

Sentinel enforcers were also just tanky as [Wristwatches], with the sheer amount of health they had masked by the forward facing shield. Beyond that there was nothing

What you're aiming for is sort of a variable damage input shield that forces the user to limit where they can get hit within a certain timeframe if they wish to stay alive. Having a large area to cover would be a good use for conveying that (a-la large bosses, or say a covenant cruiser)

Jesse

Discord: Jesse#4500

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 06:07 PM    Msg. 12 of 14       
Perhaps you could model in the plates and add them as part of the collision? With decent shaders (that either show consistently or when taking damage) it can look pretty good...

idk how to pin an online image but:

malolo420

Drugs are Bad

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 06:21 PM    Msg. 13 of 14       
You could achieve that with a new biped. It would need a model per plate, with a separate collision. Then just put health/shield on each plate, and when it gets to 0, it deactivates, and when shields go back up it respawns, kind of like the covenant shield that's on the ground.

Will have to import the chiefs model into max, and you might have to redo all the animations, depending on node setup. But maybe not.

Edit: Jesse beat me to it.
Edited by malolo420 on Mar 20, 2017 at 06:22 PM

theshadow0222

"Oh, no."

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 04:22 AM    Msg. 14 of 14       
@malolo420:
I could do that, but than I run into the issue of, wouldn't that mean that you'd have like fifty constant plates, instead of six or so that respond to incoming projectiles, before deactivating?

Because my intention was that if you took a weapon precise enough to only hit one plate, then shot an Elite, (or player, but I doubt I could get it working in multiplayer,) you'd take down that one plate after a couple of shots, but if nothings "distracting" the other plates, another one will take it's place, destroyed plates wouldn't regen as long as another plate is being damaged though, so in theory the enemy would run out of plates.

But then give that enemy a while to regen their shield, then shoot them in a different place, and those shield plates would now be there.

Not that I'm ungrateful of course, (I might even be misunderstanding), but having a constant 50 odd plates covering the body would defeat the point.

@Jesse:
I was planning on having each plate appear, when taking damage and go from blue to red before popping. The issue is that in first person, the player won't be able to see the plates, so I'd need some way of communicating where one was at any given time, and beyond a throwing an old-school diagram on the HUD to replace the health bar.

@R93 Sniper:
I'm certain they had their own shields, because it was impossible to score a headshot on them, despite them having a head. Unless 343i didn't make the head on the model headshotable.
Edited by theshadow0222 on Mar 21, 2017 at 04:27 AM
Edited by theshadow0222 on Mar 21, 2017 at 04:28 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon November 20, 2017 8:21 AM 282 ms.
A Halo Maps Website