A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Anyone using Maya LT?

Author Topic: Anyone using Maya LT? (13 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

malolo420

Drugs are Bad

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 12:24 PM    Msg. 1 of 13       
I've been thinking about making the switch from max because of the price, but its a scary thought having to learn a new program, especially when you get fluent with your current one. They are offering 50% off for the second year, and with the already major price drop from Max its so tempting, I've just gotten so used to max and all the tools and hotkeys it would be such a set back.

In the new versions of Max you can send your scenes back and forth from Max to maya, mudbox, motion builder etc. But you can't with Maya LT... Can't even send files from Maya LT to Maya or back.
If you have LT, do you know any reasonable ways of getting your stuff from Max to Maya?

If they only had Max LT...

[/endRant]

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 12:52 PM    Msg. 2 of 13       

Probably the reason why it doesn't support as many things as you'd want it to.

And have you tried getting a students license for max?

LittleRain

Being Passionate is a Blessing but mostly a Curse

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 04:32 PM    Msg. 3 of 13       
Yes that's what I've been using since I upgraded from Max 8.
Problem is, Autodesk says if you pay for full version, you aren't legally allowed to use any of the work you've done on the student license, and you have to re-make everything. Its fine for modding, but when you plan to use your stuff commercially you can run into corners. There are some studios who use all pirated software, but I would only do that if it was strictly for modding.

If you open a file in Maya that's been made with student license, it will tell you every time you open it, I'm not sure if Max does but it probably has something similar going on.

Maya LT is a good program though, it just doesn't have ability to Send stuff to motion builder/3ds Max and stuff like that, you can send geometry to mud builder for sculpting though, another thing it has is sending right to Unity or Unreal. My problem though is if I can get all my stuff into Maya LT, I can get it into Maya right now, but I doubt that I can get it into LT without doing a bunch of extra work...

Another thing I believe is that its missing the renderers and stuff like that, which I just use Substance Painter/Designer for quick IRray renders anyways.

It should have all the same modeling/animating/rigging tools as Maya, pretty much anything you need for Game Development.

Max and Maya are largely for CG, so they made LT for game developers, if they made Max LT, there would still be more then enough tools for games.

Ugh I might just have to bite the bullet and buy Max for a year... There is things I don't like about Maya, but then there is things like more about it too, other then the price.. What to do...
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 7, 2017 at 04:33 PM

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 04:42 PM    Msg. 4 of 13       
I like how Autodesk bought like 8 different unrelated 3D modeling suite companies and then decided to price them all at like 5800$ each.
Edited by OrangeJuice on Apr 7, 2017 at 04:43 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 04:47 PM    Msg. 5 of 13       
You do all realise that that the whole "you cant use
Work made with this license or type of app with this other license or app" rule can be circumvented via an export and re-import.

And you have god to thank for that or the guy who invented obj's/fbx's/3ds's e.t.c
Edited by Super Flanker on Apr 7, 2017 at 04:49 PM

LittleRain

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 10:45 PM    Msg. 6 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Work made with this license or type of app with this other license or app" rule can be circumvented via an export and re-import.

And you have god to thank for that or the guy who invented obj's/fbx's/3ds's e.t.c

Yeah i do realize that. But most formats that you can do that with will take countless hours of fixing materials, or other things like animation constraints.
I read a post somewhere when i was looking into this stuff, and a guy who claimed to work at the piracy division at Autodesk claimed that FBX stores the version info. You are right though its 100% do able, for me though the amount of time it would set me back isn't worth it. I've been playing with maya the last couple days and the speed at of my work in maya conpared to max is atleast 10x slower, id still have to learn a ton of stuff.
I could learn to be efficent with maya and it wouldnt be too bad, but when i would have to get everything I've made ready for Unity all over again doing both is just too much time. If everything was polished it wouldn't be to bad, but i know ill be working on everything atleast a couple times again. Even though UVW's are the same, if the models position or scale is different in substance painter won't import the mesh properly, the program saves every brush stroke so you can scale to a higher res. Even sending scene from max to maya needs quite a bunch of work, with a rigged model thats a child of the same object its rigged too will change the position with its righed position + parent position where max will only use the rigged position. But anyways, i found a comparison for maya vs LT, its definitly not a cheap rip off. http://www.autodesk.com/compare/compare-features/maya-vs-maya-lt
Man wouldn't it have been easier if bungie used blender, we would have all learned blender and things would be easy.

Orange juice did the really buy each program? And i sent you a message on discord, i dont have permission to send messages on it though.

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 11:02 PM    Msg. 7 of 13       
No. I've just been installing them to test their compatibilty. (Got max5, 7, and 8 working on win10 64 though. Will post how I did it and what to expect from running them later on)

As far as I've been taught though: you simply use the programs whenever you want(for the experience) but rent it if you're doing for-profit work. For audits, publisher inspections, and stuff. Everyone I have ever asked gave me the same advice whether they be in their 60s as a professional or otherwise. They expect people to pirate their products as a means of learning and experience, and then buy it later when your intentions call for it

I live alone so meh. I never really read the fine print. I know you have to go legit with your licenses if you're doing commercial work though. But asking me is basically talking to a villager .

It literally depends on what you plan on doing with it
Edited by OrangeJuice on Apr 7, 2017 at 11:37 PM

LittleRain

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 11:50 PM    Msg. 8 of 13       
Yeah I totally agree with that, that's what I've always done at least.

I think its kind of bs that you cant use your student license stuff after you buy the full thing, and Autodesk seems to be the only one who cares.

Every other company seems to have done an awesome job for helping indies out, Substance Painter/Designer is only $20 a month, and once you pay it off you own it. Photoshop is $10 a month, but you'll never own it.

Unity and Unreal for free until certain profits are made.

Autodesk is kinda lacking, Maya LT is good and all, and it's certainly no GMAX, but it kind of leaves 50% of the people out to spend more time learning than working, atleast if they started with max that is..

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Apr 11, 2017 11:07 AM    Msg. 9 of 13       
Maya LT is decent for what you pay for. It's cheaper then almost every other decent 3d modeling program besides Blender, which is of course free.

I use it occasionally for working on my commercial project. I still like 3ds Max though, which is what I use more often, and its probably because I've used it for so long and much more proficient at using it. It's a lot more expensive though obviously, so currently I rent it on a 'as-need' basis and do a ton of modeling during that duration.

If you want to get stuff from Max to Maya LT, I suggest just exporting as FBX or another universal file format.

The reason autodesk products are so expensive is because they have a monopoly on the market and they know it, other applications like Blender (free) and Modo (much cheaper) still cant compete and simply (IMO) are not as fleshed out/easy to work with.

This is true, although some file formats of autodesks actually cache some of your information about your license and such inside the exports believe it or not. And you can bet that .max files do the same.
Edited by Higuy on Apr 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Apr 11, 2017 04:28 PM    Msg. 10 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy

Maya LT is decent for what you pay for. It's cheaper then almost every other decent 3d modeling program besides Blender, which is of course free.

I use it occasionally for working on my commercial project. I still like 3ds Max though, which is what I use more often, and its probably because I've used it for so long and much more proficient at using it. It's a lot more expensive though obviously, so currently I rent it on a 'as-need' basis and do a ton of modeling during that duration.

If you want to get stuff from Max to Maya LT, I suggest just exporting as FBX or another universal file format.

The reason autodesk products are so expensive is because they have a monopoly on the market and they know it, other applications like Blender (free) and Modo (much cheaper) still cant compete and simply (IMO) are not as fleshed out/easy to work with.

This is true, although some file formats of autodesks actually cache some of your information about your license and such inside the exports believe it or not. And you can bet that .max files do the same.
Edited by Higuy on Apr 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM

Meta data strippers. <3

LittleRain

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 01:28 AM    Msg. 11 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy

Yeah I was just hoping there was an easier way, when I import FBX, for animations every key in the Timeline is filled, maybe there is a way to get it proper but I don't know.
Also if I need to edit materials, it only takes the material ID, and I'll have to redo all my materials again.

I'm just gunna stick with max.

Yeah I've never tried Modo, but I really don't like blender, I was able to get used to maya in a day, not proficient of course, but remember hotkeys, not invert my mouse clicks for rotating/moving and stuff, where as blender it just feels wrong.

Super Flanker

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 03:51 PM    Msg. 12 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: LittleRain

I'm just gunna stick with max.

Smart decision.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Apr 15, 2017 12:47 PM    Msg. 13 of 13       
Softimage > Lightwave > Everything else.
Edited by PRPatxi on May 23, 2017 at 12:40 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue October 17, 2017 11:36 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website