A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »For if you need tool pro but don't trust it or can't find it.

Author Topic: For if you need tool pro but don't trust it or can't find it. (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 06:27 PM    Msg. 1 of 7       
I made a little Pastebin on what hex values to change in order for tool to allow for larger MP maps and a fix for if tool crashes at "Writing vertex and index buffers".

Works for OS Tool too, so YES you can compile maps with opensauce tags that are larger than 128MB.

https://pastebin.com/rNVVjyus

Don't ask me how to hex edit, google if you don't know.

Just one hint: use overtype and not insert...

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 06:36 PM    Msg. 2 of 7       
I currently use a private bootleg copy of OS_Tool, I call it super_tool. I don't know, however, what restrictions it was built to bypass. Will these changes allow me to compile a SP map and add more model data than the current limit with OS_tool? Even super_tool will crash at that point if I have too much model data, so I've been stripping tags out. But I'm not sure if the limit you speak of is a MP limit, or an engine limit.

I have maxed out the space I can use for model data, but there's still a lot of content I want to add in. Specifically, I have a metric ton of scenery items I want to compile and use in a manner similar to Instance Geometry, unique objects to add ambience that don't merge with the BSP. Is the model data limit arbitrary, or will bypassing it cause issues loading and running the map?

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 07:25 PM    Msg. 3 of 7       
From conclusive research I did I found out it is completely arbitrary and the crash is caused by tool not making a big enough memory buffer to fit it all.

here is how that map looked btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9s2r08Xym4

to be able to get such a big memory buffer going for opensauce maps you will need a custom dll though.
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Apr 10, 2017 at 07:25 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 07:51 PM    Msg. 4 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
to be able to get such a big memory buffer going for opensauce maps you will need a custom dll though.
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Apr 10, 2017 at 07:25 PM

I take it you mean a custom version of the opensauce DLL, does such a DLL already exist, or would that be something I would need to modify myself? How crazy of a job are we talking?

I want it for Mombasa, I include an installer for OS with the download anyway so I don't mind if I need to use a modified one to get at what I'm after. I already have my map at ~525MB, and my model space and tag space limits have been reached, to add anything I need to optimize or remove existing data.

Since you loaded the map, I have to assume you have such a DLL?

LittleRain

Being Passionate is a Blessing but mostly a Curse

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 10:07 PM    Msg. 5 of 7       
Even if you can get tool to compile more Scenery Objects, you can only have so many in-game at the same time. The last Part of my overdose single player, even with a ton of portals added still made a bunch of objects disappear.

sparky

I am who I am.

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 10:30 PM    Msg. 6 of 7       
The "arbitrary" limits are probably related to the Halo disc for Xbox.

There are limits mostly based upon memory table sizes. Limits can be bypassed by adjusting pointers to different memory regions -- basically, it is accomplished with function overriding.

For example, Samuco and 002 did some HaloMD (Halo Mini Demo for Mac) extensions to increase BSP render and object render polygon/triangle counts.
Edited by sparky on Apr 10, 2017 at 10:33 PM

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Apr 11, 2017 12:13 AM    Msg. 7 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: LittleRain
Even if you can get tool to compile more Scenery Objects, you can only have so many in-game at the same time. The last Part of my overdose single player, even with a ton of portals added still made a bunch of objects disappear.

mods like hac2 and opensauce upgrade this object render limit so it isn't a concern as most people playing this game are using either one.

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

The "arbitrary" limits are probably related to the Halo disc for Xbox.

There are limits mostly based upon memory table sizes. Limits can be bypassed by adjusting pointers to different memory regions -- basically, it is accomplished with function overriding.

Yes ofcourse these limits were because of the xbox. But the only one I was talking about as being arbitrary was the model vertex data limit as it is an issue with the memory buffer size in tool and never in the game.

Also, that is exactly what I have been doing and what opensauce has been doing but automated.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon August 21, 2017 1:51 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website