A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »What program do you use to rip tags from map files?

Author Topic: What program do you use to rip tags from map files? (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 09:42 PM    Msg. 1 of 8       
I'm planning to do a quick program that will rip tags from map files. It will use the tag index and reconstruct HEK headers and use the included tag pathname strings. It really is an easy and simple process, based upon the work I've already done with tag structures. I have a question, however.

My question is: what program do you currently use to extract tags from map files, and does it have any issues? For example, HEK+ possibly has problems extracting bitmaps.

Thanks for letting me know.

OrangeJuice

I laugh at people who put STUDIOS in their name.

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 09:48 PM    Msg. 2 of 8       
I always use HEK+ as I know of no other way

Kinnet

Ded.

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 09:59 PM    Msg. 3 of 8       
Hek+
- Hek+ has to be run with windows on a basic theme otherwise it just won't work (at least on w7), that's annoying as hell.
Edited by Kinnet on Apr 10, 2017 at 10:04 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 10:03 PM    Msg. 4 of 8       
AFAIK The HEK+ is the main ripping tool, though it tends to shoot up animation tags, especially scorpion ones.

Then there is the older version of the HEK+ made by the same author (steelixben)

And then there is the zteam one. (Which no one but zteam has)

Issues:

1. Occasionally corrupts default animation tags, bipeds, vehicles.

2. Generally buggy at certain intervals.

3. GBX model converter crashes when attempting to convert particularly dense geometry

Kinnet

Ded.

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 10:07 PM    Msg. 5 of 8       
it also screws ".effect" tags making all the instances on the "particles" block use the same marker (usually the first marker).

SBB_Michelle

Dumb, sometimes..

Posted: Apr 11, 2017 12:15 AM    Msg. 6 of 8       
If you actually do a tag extractor make it compatible with opensauce tags, that should keep a lot of people from crashing in the future...

sparky

Posted: Apr 11, 2017 08:24 AM    Msg. 7 of 8       
I would like to do the tag extractor using a streamlined version of infernal for Windows. It won't check data, it will presume the map cache file is uncorrupted, and it will be a command-line utility where you specify one argument as the map file path that contains the tags you want extracted. It will then extract all the tags into your Halo Custom Edition tags directory (overwriting). The first test version I started today will only work with Halo PC map files; an updated version will extract from Halo CE maps also. The approach I am taking is to make the Windows version of infernal, but without any data checking features. It will presume everything is correct that can be presumed to be correct in an unmodified map cache file, and if something goes wrong, it will print a single error message to the console and end the attempt.

It's called "deconstruct".

Usage:
deconstruct path\to\map\file

It should be ready within a few days. I'm using this approach because metadata kind of needs to be parsed properly, which is where I think HEK+ went wrong.

EmmanuelCD

Using fox avatar since 1893

Posted: Apr 11, 2017 07:52 PM    Msg. 8 of 8       
Damage values tags are also afected, they are never right, thats why many H4 and Reach tags are screw up

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat June 24, 2017 10:01 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website