A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Memento/Remake - Gallary Thread

Author Topic: Memento/Remake - Gallary Thread (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

LittleRain

Being Passionate is a Blessing but mostly a Curse

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 01:29 AM    Msg. 1 of 10       
Hey yall.

Ever heard of Autodesk Memento? It is now called Remake, but its software to turn ordinary pictures into high quality 3d models.

You take a bunch of photos at different angles, plop em' in, let it computer and BLAM!!

You have a full model, with textures.

You used to need special scanners to do this kind of stuff, kind of like the Kinect for Xbox, but this does a crazy good job.

I just downloaded it, I'll post some pictures once I try it out.

You should do the same!

They have a free trial like all other Autodesk, but this is also only $30 a month, so definitely affordable. I think its mainly designed for 3d printing so that might be why.

If you can find their older version, the Memento Beta, they released it free without a trial. If anyone can find it remember to share it with your friends!

Edit: almost forgot the link, watch the video its pretty neat.
https://remake.autodesk.com/about
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 12, 2017 at 01:31 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 01:52 PM    Msg. 2 of 10       
Photo to Model demonstration

Edit: I wasn't impressed with this, even as I posted the link above, because I hadn't watched the video yet. Then I watched the video. I'm still not impressed but I am dumbfounded.
Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 12, 2017 at 02:00 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 05:14 PM    Msg. 3 of 10       
It's neat, but that's really it. A typical workflow for halo would be to find as many images as required if they even exist and once the geometry has been created it would have to be severely optimised. However ADSK has provided a very promising way to "kick start" the modelling process.
Edited by Super Flanker on Apr 12, 2017 at 08:46 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 07:28 PM    Msg. 4 of 10       
Its a process called photogrammetry and Autodesk gave the program out for free not too long ago. A bit late on the call there buddy

LittleRain

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 01:42 AM    Msg. 5 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Photo to Model demonstration

Edit: I wasn't impressed with this, even as I posted the link above, because I hadn't watched the video yet. Then I watched the video. I'm still not impressed but I am dumbfounded.
Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 12, 2017 at 02:00 PM

I'm pretty impressed, normally the scanners that do that are Lasers (depth sensors)
And even lots of those are horribly inaccurate, to be able to do it with an iPhone and a computer, no special equipment is very impressive.

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

It's neat, but that's really it. A typical workflow for halo would be to find as many images as required if they even exist and once the geometry has been created it would have to be severely optimised. However ADSK has provided a very promising way to "kick start" the modelling process.
Edited by Super Flanker on Apr 12, 2017 at 08:46 PM

Lol yes Halo would be a little much. I don't know what version of Max you use, but the "Pro Optimizer" modifier makes optimizing easy. In Unity and Unreal, and pretty much any modern game engine as well they have stuff to dynamically create LODS. Man Halo CE is for pros lol, I don't think new game Devs that didn't use blam! would be able to do what everyone here does haha.

I actually just watched a GDC Talk on the future and how everything Art related is starting to be Automated, even models. How soon it will be easier to go to a City, scan the city, then get artists to make it.
I actually didn't finish the talk, but here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rt0wOyCCAI&feature=youtu.be

Its already happening, look at https://megascans.se/
I think I read they use depth sensors though.
They actually have some massive rock walls that they scanned, I don't know how, maybe its a little rock they said was big.

and ADSK is Autodesk?

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Its a process called photogrammetry and Autodesk gave the program out for free not too long ago. A bit late on the call there buddy

Yeah forgot what it was called, and yeah I read that a couple weeks ago, just remembered and went to go download it and found out its now called remake.

Just wanted to share it with those who don't know.

Edit: Another fun toy to play with is the Nvidia Flex demo, didn't want to make another thread..
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 13, 2017 at 01:50 AM

Edited by LittleRain on Apr 13, 2017 at 02:07 AM

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 05:05 AM    Msg. 6 of 10       
The mask I used in this video was scanned using Autodesk 123D Catch

LittleRain

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 07:09 PM    Msg. 7 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
The mask I used in this video was scanned using Autodesk 123D Catch

haha cool, man 400'000 downloads for most popular map. If I'm corrent I think every map I made was over 100,000 :)

Edit: I must say that map looks sick, I have no idea how you guys got all these new features, especially in multi player, but I must say chap that this is the toppest of notches.
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 13, 2017 at 07:12 PM
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 13, 2017 at 09:13 PM

malolo420

Drugs are Bad

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 09:21 PM    Msg. 8 of 10       
Can't post images on new account for 0 more days.

Just tried out Remake for the first time, I might try it again, cause it definitely has some very obvious errors in some places, but it was just a test so meh. A lot of it looks great though.

I took 35 photos and got this.

And if you wanna look at it on SketchFab. Its not as detailed, I think I have to get a subscription for more.
https://skfb.ly/6pVzL

I got pictures of the local skate park, and my car, will post those when they finish.
Edited by malolo420 on Apr 13, 2017 at 09:23 PM
Edited by malolo420 on Apr 13, 2017 at 09:28 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 09:31 PM    Msg. 9 of 10       
Why the name change?

malolo420

Drugs are Bad

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 10:21 PM    Msg. 10 of 10       
Malolo was my name everywhere when I was a kid.
I am now a majorly differen't person than I was, I don't even snowboard anymore (I had a Burton Malolo), I don't smoke weed/Drink/Drugs anymore so having 420 at the end of my name embarrasses me, and I just love my Little Rain so much.

Here's our car. And Sketchfab. https://skfb.ly/6pVCV

Hey if anyone doesn't have a Sketchfab account you should use my link to get it, I get a free 3 months of pro, and you get a free month. I can't believe I didn't know about it until now.

Sketchfab: https://skfb.ly/6pVCz

Here is a ramp at the skate park. Sketchfab https://skfb.ly/6pVFM

I did a little cleanup on the top, in Remake. there was a fence and since I didn't get a view that could see the top it didn't know what to do.

I got a few more coming, to explain why I chose what I did. Bike, has a lot of intricate detail. Car is a pretty basic shape, but its big. Skate Ramp is really big. I still have a bigger skate ramp where I didn't get everything in each shot. And then I'm going to try a smaller item, cause it seems to do its best there. I also have a small bush, but I don't think it will be able to track that very well, since its a bunch of the same things.
Then tomorrow I'll get some nature shots. Try some basic things, then a whole scene.

Edited by malolo420 on Apr 13, 2017 at 11:16 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon August 21, 2017 1:50 PM 375 ms.
A Halo Maps Website