A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Wintersmith V2 release

Author Topic: Wintersmith V2 release (12 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 01:31 AM    Msg. 1 of 12       
Hey all! sashiburi! anyway. I'm releasing this rehash of my Wintersmith campaign that I just finished off. Its reasonably good, though I'm no BSP designer so go figure. I've redone just about everything save for 2 BSP's from the original version (even they have been altered) so its a vast improvement over what was my first ever real experience with Single Player Maps (and you can tell, it was pretty bad)

You play as a marine across a large Forerunner construct deep in dead space using as many weapons and vehicles as I could fit in battling against as many different enemies as I could fit in (I literally have used up the entire Tag index, its maxed out)

On top of that the entire original 7 maps have been combined into one massive multi-BSP one.

I hope you enjoy, I don't really see myself doing a lot more in the way of Halo Maps so this is my last big submission.

You can find it here on google drive: (I will be uploading it to the CE3 website eventually)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dpnl-i3riAUHdFOFVMNWVXMU0/view?usp=sharing

PS (Ignore the line in the read me about UI, that was left over from a UI map I made a while back, the custom UI in this was made by yours truly)

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 02:04 AM    Msg. 2 of 12       
Downloading. Will reply with a review.

Edit
So it opens to a cool text intro, then your on that spaceship scenery object.

You can talk to those guys by going next to them and text appears in the same spot as the intro. Pretty cool. You go down into a teleporter or get lost your choice.

Then this happens:

You fall immediately into that head on.

Shortly thereafter, more troops come. I play on Hard AKA Heroic;

Considering you play as a stock marine with no shields or means of health outside of health packs, it's very tough. I'm gonna play on normal and see what it is because I can tell there's a lot of work put in.

Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 20, 2017 at 03:07 AM

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 03:33 AM    Msg. 3 of 12       
Forgot to mention. This map is pretty open world, if things don't work at first try another way round. Also remember to use all the weapons at your disposal. (Ie, the smg and battle rifle at the drop zone.) also, marine animations mean throwing grenades is a bit delayed. Marines actually have more health than the MC, about the equivalent of the MC's health plus shield, None the less you are playing as a marine so yes, it is tough! I'd also like to point out that some wraiths (but not all) are drivable.

One more thing, I can see that your using open sauce which tends to scale the ui a bit weird on this map. To fix that press f7 then untick the check box "scale ui" on the second page to fix it. I don't think this happens if your not running open sauce.

Edited by Jobalisk on Apr 20, 2017 at 04:01 AM

sparky

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 08:46 AM    Msg. 4 of 12       
Thanks for the review, DeadHamster.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 09:17 AM    Msg. 5 of 12       
What's with the radar?

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 01:29 PM    Msg. 6 of 12       
As I said above, scaling issue with Open sauce, disable ui scaling in the os menu to fix it.

Just made a couple of minor changes I thought up in bed last night, nothing major, just an additional health pack at in the final BSP and changing when the game saves a check point at the pelican assault section so that it saves while your in the air not when you land. Also updated the Read Me with some more info. The link I posted before will download the new version now.

Edited by Jobalisk on Apr 20, 2017 at 02:39 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Apr 22, 2017 12:22 AM    Msg. 7 of 12       
My immediate thought was: "Man, I sure wish there were more troops to fight with."
I killed almost every enemy there was until I got to the wraith, then I got rekd.
Will have another go.

E: A few tweaks look like they'd be good.
Also, I couldn't finish it. Is it supposed to kill you always at the end so you can never "get out of there"? I always die because of the explosion before I get to the banshee.
Edited by Spartan314 on Apr 22, 2017 at 09:19 AM

MS14A

Posted: Apr 22, 2017 11:53 PM    Msg. 8 of 12       
Was alright on the section where you're making those jumps in the hog down towards the bottom I'd suggest some nav points because after following three straight jumps the 4th one off center and I died due to this.

Another oddity is that after the initial room you're put in the room with hunters at the bottom of what looks like a cargo elevator. I got down there, got teleported to another segment and then after that segment teleported back to that room now without the hunters before it teleported me to the next segment after that.

Also at the start you can melee the doors on the ship open and toss nades down at the wraith to soften it and the other covenant below.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Apr 23, 2017 01:05 AM    Msg. 9 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: MS14A
Was alright on the section where you're making those jumps in the hog down towards the bottom I'd suggest some nav points because after following three straight jumps the 4th one off center and I died due to this.

I forgot to mention this. It was pretty frustrating not being able to see where you were supposed to land the hog. Also the angle of the platforms were kinda awkward for the hog to land on.

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Apr 24, 2017 03:00 AM    Msg. 10 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: MS14A

Another oddity is that after the initial room you're put in the room with hunters at the bottom of what looks like a cargo elevator. I got down there, got teleported to another segment and then after that segment teleported back to that room now without the hunters before it teleported me to the next segment after that.

Also at the start you can melee the doors on the ship open and toss nades down at the wraith to soften it and the other covenant below.

Yeah that door thing was in purpose. The second section that you get teleported to is a different part of the map. It just looks the same because I wanted to make it look like a template. There's a sentinel beam hidden there and also a gravity rifle I think maybe. The final part with the warthog is do able. I've finished it 3 times. You just need to be fast and ignore the enemies. Glad to hear your enjoying it!

I'll consider putting that nav point in it.

Edit

Ok, I've added the nab-points as well as a couple of other minor changes. I've also increased the timer slightly for the escape. Not by much, as I know it's do able already and I think adding too much extra time would take away from the feel of it.

Just I point out, the storyline is that to begin with you have minimal resources at your disposal. This means that depending on the difficulty settings the amount of marines available is relatively small.

I should have the new version uploaded within the next couple of hours, just use the same link as before at the top of this thread to access it.
Edited by Jobalisk on Apr 24, 2017 at 04:48 AM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 24, 2017 10:34 AM    Msg. 11 of 12       
Bump for next couple of hours.

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Apr 24, 2017 03:13 PM    Msg. 12 of 12       
Sorry, NZ time, I was asleep. it's been up for like 10 hours now.

BTW, here's a hint. The first bsp's second wraith is drive-able. Remember this is semi-open world so some stuff you need to discover for yourself.

EDIT

Slight issue with the nav-points. I've fixed it and re-uploaded.

This should be the final version now, I don't think there's really much else I need to change.
Edited by Jobalisk on Apr 24, 2017 at 05:47 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun June 25, 2017 2:58 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website