A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Money

Page 4 of 4 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · Prev
Author Topic: Money (122 messages, Page 4 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

not m00kz

are you pecking kidding me

Posted: May 11, 2017 01:24 AM    Msg. 106 of 122       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Do it.
Record yourself and put it on youtube too.

actually.. yeah

do this

Quote: --- Original message by: Twinreaper
Actually this thread does the raise the question about where Microsoft actually stands on the issue, and the most recent 1.10 update provided by Bungie.

Technically, Bungie employees got paid (made profit) by altering and distributing the patch to begin with. Since Bungie is no longer a contracted developer, this in itself is a violation.

if you know anything about the industry, higher ups are generally paid salary, not hourly. they're paid for just existing.

one dude from Bungie, the server dev lead and h1 vet Roger Wolfson, came in like a godly beast and patched the game to point to Bungie master servers and use Bungie's bandwidth. for free. zero compensation or obligation to do so. the dude could have gone golfing in hawaii instead and wouldn't have been be paid any less. he didn't HAVE to patch the game. he did it because he WANTED to.

microsoft support falls off faster than any major software company I've ever seen, and that extends to their games division. they don't even support mcc anymore, so there's no way in hell they'd be assed to patch a dinosaur like ce. a dev who actually cares about his company's legacy picked up microsoft's slack to keep his work alive by preventing what would have undoubtedly been ce's death.

a living, functional product means more incentive for users to buy said product. ce's life as a multiplayer add-on is a financial benefit for microsoft. miniscule as it may be.

do you really think microsoft wouldn't allow that?

Edited by not m00kz on May 11, 2017 at 12:03 PM

sparky

Death does not bring you any closer to God.

Posted: May 11, 2017 04:46 PM    Msg. 107 of 122       
You could consider this forum and other resources online as free customer support by non-paid volunteers for Microsoft -- by a few for a niche interest. That includes everyone who contributes to the various Halo communities on the Internet.

Getting paid for this otherwise free support is no loss of benefit to Microsoft.

Quote: do you really think microsoft wouldn't allow that?

And by extension, Dennis works -- or used to work -- to develop this forum. Has Microsoft sued him for placing ads on his web site to earn money? He is by extension making money off of the copyrighted software, just as programmers or anyone else currently doing pro bono work would be making money by extension off of the copyrighted software by making money off of their own work.

This all is keeping the community alive, and I think everyone deserves to earn money from their unique work, whether it is saved into HEK tag file format or not, whether it is compatible with any of the copyrighted software or not.

Keeping the community alive and offering superior customer satisfaction with the overall effect of increasing sales for Microsoft without them lifting a finger...

Quote: do you really think microsoft wouldn't allow that?

But I have furthermore argued that Microsoft could not disallow it, no more than I could disallow them from developing their own software and assets at a whim when I am not losing any money from my own work.

Quote:
My final comment is this:
No one is losing money and nothing is being stolen in the event that artists design assets or tags or maps or applications and sell them to each other.

Edited by sparky on May 11, 2017 at 04:59 PM

not m00kz

are you pecking kidding me

Posted: May 11, 2017 06:23 PM    Msg. 108 of 122       
you seemed to have missed the part where RW didn't do what he did for his own financial gain

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: May 11, 2017 08:56 PM    Msg. 109 of 122       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
And by extension, Dennis works -- or used to work -- to develop this forum. Has Microsoft sued him for placing ads on his web site to earn money? He is by extension making money off of the copyrighted software, just as programmers or anyone else currently doing pro bono work would be making money by extension off of the copyrighted software by making money off of their own work.
This statement shows you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. False equivalencies will not prevent you from being sued if you attempt to sell the Halo game.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: May 12, 2017 08:49 AM    Msg. 110 of 122       

One thing is making a fan site another is creating maps, assets and modding software then charge for it.

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: May 13, 2017 04:58 PM    Msg. 111 of 122       
You're all wrong. Halo should be used to make HONEY.

Jesse

Discord: Jesse#4500

Posted: May 18, 2017 07:26 PM    Msg. 112 of 122       
Dennis has been clear that he doesn't make any profit from this site. If anything, he pours cash into it out of love.

Dennis

Posted: May 18, 2017 07:37 PM    Msg. 113 of 122       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Dennis has been clear that he doesn't make any profit from this site. If anything, he pours cash into it out of love.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it "love", but the rest is accurate.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: May 18, 2017 10:02 PM    Msg. 114 of 122       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

Dennis's love cash is an example for the world to follow.

DeadHamster

Posted: May 18, 2017 10:36 PM    Msg. 115 of 122       

You should work with Sparky to turn the Halo Maps archive into a profit generator. He seems to have this pretty well figured out, there's apparently quite the payout in distribution of assets for a game engine older than some of the site's posters.

Dennis

Posted: May 20, 2017 09:10 PM    Msg. 116 of 122       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

You should work with Sparky to turn the Halo Maps archive into a profit generator. He seems to have this pretty well figured out, there's apparently quite the payout in distribution of assets for a game engine older than some of the site's posters.

Sarcasm for the win!

Super Flanker

Posted: May 21, 2017 10:58 AM    Msg. 117 of 122       
Did Dennis just FTW?

MatthewDratt

Our President Brags About Sexual Assault

Posted: May 21, 2017 10:19 PM    Msg. 118 of 122       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Did Dennis just FTW?

no he for the win-ed

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: May 23, 2017 04:45 PM    Msg. 119 of 122       
Instead of selling content, get paid to create content by getting sponsored for esports halomapping. Dennis will you be my sponser?

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: May 23, 2017 05:43 PM    Msg. 120 of 122       
Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo
Instead of selling content, get paid to create content by getting sponsored for esports halomapping. Dennis will you be my sponser?

Lmao

sparky

Death does not bring you any closer to God.

Posted: May 24, 2017 06:59 AM    Msg. 121 of 122       

Sarcasm for the win!

Super Flanker

Posted: May 25, 2017 12:40 PM    Msg. 122 of 122       

Sarcasm for the win!

That is highly culturally insensitive sparky.......

Even the bible thinks so:

Ephesians 4:32:

“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” Racists may not deserve your forgiveness, but we deserved God’s forgiveness far less. Those who practice racism, prejudice, and discrimination need to repent. “Present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God” (Romans 6:13). May Galatians 3:28 be completely realized, “There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.”

Quote: --- Original message by: giraffe

smh

Edited by Super Flanker on May 25, 2017 at 12:42 PM

Page 4 of 4 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed September 20, 2017 4:18 PM 718 ms.
A Halo Maps Website