A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »CE Physics and other Engines

Author Topic: CE Physics and other Engines (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Voidr

Posted: May 2, 2017 10:55 AM    Msg. 1 of 4       
I am new to the Custom Edition scene. Is it possible to port any parts of Custom Edition into other engines? For example, if I like the way the way that grenades affect weapons in the base game, is there a way to take that code and use it in another engine? Is this even allowed? I don't know much about modding/game development, so if I am completely off base I apologize.

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: May 2, 2017 12:05 PM    Msg. 2 of 4       
Quote: --- Original message by: Voidr
I am new to the Custom Edition scene. Is it possible to port any parts of Custom Edition into other engines? For example, if I like the way the way that grenades affect weapons in the base game, is there a way to take that code and use it in another engine? Is this even allowed? I don't know much about modding/game development, so if I am completely off base I apologize.

The source code of Halo CE is sadly enough unavailable so no

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: May 2, 2017 02:52 PM    Msg. 3 of 4       
Quote: --- Original message by: Voidr

You can use common sense and attempt to replicate certain mechanics and styles if you have the know how but since HaloCE isn't open source physically reusing any entity of custom edition even for a non profit project is likely to be a very big no no.

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: May 2, 2017 03:00 PM    Msg. 4 of 4       
The low down is you are pretty off base as you suspected, regardless of whether it's open source or not. Code isn't plug and play. The best you could do with access is read the pertinent source files line by line, figure out their thought process and try to reproduce it on your platform.

e: and that isn't hard to do just screwing around with it ingame cuz it sounds like you already know the parts you like
Edited by BKTiel on May 2, 2017 at 03:01 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat July 4, 2020 9:30 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website