A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo Custom Edition on Mac

Author Topic: Halo Custom Edition on Mac (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: May 13, 2017 11:08 PM    Msg. 1 of 11       
Microsoft Hates Him!

Find out how this guy managed to get Halo Custom Edition working on a mac with one simple trick!

Seriously though, I did get it working, wasn't simple though. Its got the latest patch installed too, but for some reason I couldn't get it to run Open Sauce. Still, Halo Ce with the 1.10 patch is pretty good. (Oh yeah, it has to run in windowed) As for specs wise. I'm still waiting for my new RAM to arrive so for now its running fine on a 2010 Macbook with a core 2 Duo (pretty sucky, but hey, it was free) with 2 Gig of RAM, 1TB of HDD and a 256mb graphics card. So low specs are fine.

What I had to do is run a winery wineskin with the 2.6 release on it to install. I had to copy a DLL, mfc42.dll into the sys32 folder before installation. Then after it has installed and I'd patched it, I switched engines to 1.1.19 I think it was in order to run the game. Also, it has to be set to -window in the exe extensions. Of course, the size of the window is changed by your resolution in game so its fine for the most part.

Here's some pics:

Edited by Jobalisk on May 13, 2017 at 11:12 PM
Edited by Jobalisk on May 13, 2017 at 11:17 PM

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: May 13, 2017 11:31 PM    Msg. 2 of 11       
Programs usually work by searching their Install directory for DLLs before looking in the system dirs.

So if you want to run opensauce, you'll need to tell your wine to load the native DLL first before loading the builtin. This'll trick it into running the opensauce dinput8.dll first

Same for blitzkrieg, its instructions tell you to put DLLs in system32, but you can just put them in the 3dsmax install folder :)

- - - - - -
I've never used wine on a Mac, but I assume the terms I'm using make sense?
Edited by OrangeJuice on May 13, 2017 at 11:42 PM

HandofGod

Halo Mac/MD Player & Modder

Posted: May 14, 2017 03:16 AM    Msg. 3 of 11       
Seems like a pain to deal with Wine and all that... Just download HaloMD for free and play with all the other Mac Halo players like me.

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: May 14, 2017 04:20 AM    Msg. 4 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: HandofGod
Seems like a pain to deal with Wine and all that... Just download HaloMD for free and play with all the other Mac Halo players like me.

And if they want to play with people who aren't on macs? Or if they want to play SPV3?

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: May 14, 2017 05:47 AM    Msg. 5 of 11       
Can you play MP with ppl on windows?

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: May 14, 2017 06:30 AM    Msg. 6 of 11       
There's a topic about Halo CE on wine for linux.
Open Sauce 'works' on wine, with virtually no issues (I didn't managed to open opensauce menus, but others did), and so has to work well on MacOS.
You can install open sauce in two ways:
1. Install Halo CE & Open Sauce on Windows and then copy all the dlls and exes on Wine's halo dir.
2. Extract the open sauce installer, but it's kinda tricky.

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: May 14, 2017 10:48 AM    Msg. 7 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

And if they want to play with people who aren't on macs? Or if they want to play SPV3?

HaloMD works with Halo PC and Halo Custom Edition maps and servers. Specifically, you can use HaloMC. It does not currently work with protected map files, I think.
Edited by sparky on May 14, 2017 at 10:51 AM

HandofGod

Posted: May 14, 2017 09:51 PM    Msg. 8 of 11       

Didn't Jobalisk mention he couldn't get OpenSauce to work using his method? As far as SPV3 is concerned it seems like the only way to play that is through PC unless someone special figures out a way to get it working on Mac... hasn't been discussed much in the Halo Mac community recently.

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: May 14, 2017 10:06 PM    Msg. 9 of 11       

Didn't Jobalisk mention he couldn't get OpenSauce to work using his method? As far as SPV3 is concerned it seems like the only way to play that is through PC unless someone special figures out a way to get it working on Mac... hasn't been discussed much in the Halo Mac community recently.

Do custom Single Player maps and the like even work on haloMD? Not that it matters, I'm currently configuring Wine to run SWTOR so I'm gonna redo HaloCE again in wine rather than wineskin in a moment anyway which should let me use OS.

HandofGod

Posted: May 15, 2017 10:49 AM    Msg. 10 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk

Do custom Single Player maps and the like even work on haloMD? Not that it matters, I'm currently configuring Wine to run SWTOR so I'm gonna redo HaloCE again in wine rather than wineskin in a moment anyway which should let me use OS.

Yeah I've been able to get some custom singleplayer maps working on HaloMD, it's quite the process though and a bit irritating. Some guy (GuyWhoLikesCats I think) managed to port Lumoria over to MD, which was pretty cool.

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: May 16, 2017 05:49 PM    Msg. 11 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk

Yeah I've been able to get some custom singleplayer maps working on HaloMD, it's quite the process though and a bit irritating. Some guy (GuyWhoLikesCats I think) managed to port Lumoria over to MD, which was pretty cool.

Yeah, I saw that Lumoris port, it was pretty cool
Edited by lolslayer on May 16, 2017 at 05:50 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri September 20, 2019 7:36 PM 125 ms.
A Halo Maps Website