A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »New Halo CE Modded Campaign

Author Topic: New Halo CE Modded Campaign (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

CLASSIFIED

I don't know as much about coding as I should...

Posted: May 22, 2017 10:47 AM    Msg. 1 of 7       
Community questions and advice for creating a new Halo Campaign. Here are is a link to a document that will give the rundown on what I am trying to do:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JdZKI1mxfg2L-D5nP_s0beg9olCjAD5ht6PKE9vwBQY/edit
Edited by CLASSIFIED on May 22, 2017 at 10:49 AM
Edited by CLASSIFIED on May 22, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: May 25, 2017 12:18 PM    Msg. 2 of 7       

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: May 25, 2017 08:54 PM    Msg. 3 of 7       
am i the only one who feels like this wont reach release day? it looks too good and thats the problem

MatthewDratt

TAKEDOWN IS OUT MattDratt.com

Posted: May 25, 2017 10:08 PM    Msg. 4 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: rcghalohell
am i the only one who feels like this wont reach release day? it looks too good and thats the problem

What!? You're kidding!

CLASSIFIED

Posted: May 26, 2017 03:31 PM    Msg. 5 of 7       
These comments sure aren't helping. The project will take awhile. But I do understand the too good to be true thing. If you have any questions about the project, I would love to hear them.
Edited by CLASSIFIED on May 26, 2017 at 03:32 PM

Dontu

Posted: May 26, 2017 04:38 PM    Msg. 6 of 7       
There is some genuine thoughts/ideas in there. My recommendation start small.

There is a lot more at stake here than "lots of time" You are looking at a pretty massive tag list with very little consistency for shared assets. This creates an issue with tag space as multiplayer maps have a cap that is far less than sp so keep that in mind.
Additionally AI or enemy diversity does not equal a good game or play experience. I recommend reading this: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131735/designing_enemies_with_distinct_.php

It gives a basic overview and will help cull the list more. There are some good thoughts on what various enemy weaknesses or more roles are, but at the end of the day the document in it's current state is just a tag list. I applaud your desire to be comprehensive in approach, but Halo does not live on a google drive account, it live in the 30-40sec experience when playing maps.

In summation I recommend refining your list with a series of questions:

sp or mp?

if sp what kind of story and do I know how to script?

custom tags or classic?

if custom what do I want to use?

vehicle centric or weapon centric?

how large will my maps and encounters be?

*These are more quick start questions and in no way represent the cauldron of design questions any creator is faced with when designing or planning their games/maps. You are off to a good start in your approach, but really work on developing a focus with execution (30-40secs of gameplay) . In some cases this is simply knowing what questions you want to ask. :)

CLASSIFIED

Posted: May 30, 2017 03:07 PM    Msg. 7 of 7       
Hey thanks man, this article will really help a lot. Also, somewhat unrelated, no one probably cares, but I'm cutting the last 2 missions of game so that it ends normally with the Maw. The last 2 missions just felt forced.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun August 9, 2020 11:18 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website