A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »So I'm working on a new tool, and I figured I'd let you guys know now.

Author Topic: So I'm working on a new tool, and I figured I'd let you guys know now. (16 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 23, 2017 09:08 PM    Msg. 1 of 16       
The tool is called Refinery, and it's a map extractor/deprotector for Halo xbox/pc/ce/demo and Stubbs the Zombie on xbox/pc. Basically every type of Halo 1 map(including open sauce yelo maps). The ui isn't totally done yet, and some of its more specialized functionality wont be implemented for a while(deprotection using hashcaches and fixing tag classes), but I feel like I'm far along enough with it that a beta release should be ready it in a few weeks or so. And yes EmmanuelCD, it will REQUIRE python.

There are a few bugs I have to fix in the extraction that I know of, but otherwise I can extract every tag(seemingly) just fine.

I've got the framework set up for fixing mangled tag classes, but it'll require a decent amount of time and careful checking to make sure I type in all the offsets correctly. Once this is ready for everyone to try I'd REALLY, REALLY like to get feedback on it. If something seems wrong, I need to know. It will be a while before you guys should trust it to perfectly extract stuff. Also, it wont be able to extract from yelo resource caches cause I dont know how those are used. I might add it later if I can, but for now the open sauce extraction will be limited to regular .map and .yelo maps.

It will be in the MEK repository for download when it's ready. You'll need to run the mek_installer and tell it to upgrade as well, since I'm making changes to the underlying libraries. Cheers!
Edited by MosesofEgypt on May 23, 2017 at 09:12 PM
Edited by MosesofEgypt on May 23, 2017 at 10:08 PM
Edited by MosesofEgypt on May 26, 2017 at 01:21 PM

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: May 24, 2017 11:42 AM    Msg. 2 of 16       
At last, a replacement for the HEK+ with added OpenSauce support is finally scheduled for release after all these years.

I had hopes that FireyScythe would push more updates back when OS 4.0 made it's debut in 2015, including his own cache file extractor that was to be integrated into the OpenSauce IDE (the general framework of which is still present, I believe), but it seems that after TSC:E was over with and done, so was further development with 4.0.

Regardless, seriously looking forward to this. I hope you're able to smooth out all of the various problems with the original HEK+ and it's ilk when handling tags.

Ling Ling Lang

Are you finding Ling Ling?

Posted: May 25, 2017 01:58 AM    Msg. 3 of 16       
That sounds awesome! I look forward to its release.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 25, 2017 03:28 PM    Msg. 4 of 16       
Could you name the issues you've had with the hek+? It'd really help me if i knew what to look out for. I have no doubt there will be bugs for a while, so any that you know of with hek+ will be ones i should specifically try to avoid.

not giraffe

dead meme

Posted: May 25, 2017 04:58 PM    Msg. 5 of 16       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
Could you name the issues you've had with the hek+? It'd really help me if i knew what to look out for. I have no doubt there will be bugs for a while, so any that you know of with hek+ will be ones i should specifically try to avoid.

It extracts the scorpion animation tag incorrectly.

Under the OBJECTS at the top of the tag. It gives the animation value the function value and vice versa. The animation value should be 0xFFFF, which is none. The function value should be 0, which A out. Now is this a problem when loading the scorpion through sapien because the function value should only be 0 to 3, but is instead well above that.

There is also problems extracting bsps. Don't know what, but it causes bipeds not to cast shadows.

MatthewDratt

Support Higuy https://t.co/9mIC7v3J5j

Posted: May 25, 2017 08:21 PM    Msg. 6 of 16       
Quote: --- Original message by: not giraffe

It extracts the scorpion animation tag incorrectly.

Under the OBJECTS at the top of the tag. It gives the animation value the function value and vice versa. The animation value should be 0xFFFF, which is none. The function value should be 0, which A out. Now is this a problem when loading the scorpion through sapien because the function value should only be 0 to 3, but is instead well above that.

There is also problems extracting bsps. Don't know what, but it causes bipeds not to cast shadows.

I believe there is an issue with firing positions in scenarios as well

not giraffe

dead meme

Posted: May 26, 2017 06:27 AM    Msg. 7 of 16       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

Probably issues with recorded animations as well. I remember that pelican in the Silent Cartographer flying drunk.

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: May 26, 2017 10:47 AM    Msg. 8 of 16       

Aside from the more specific examples already brought up, for me, the issues HEK+ presents are a little more trivial and hard to pinpoint.

Most .model_animations for custom assets (mostly vehicles, in my experience) break often and are not properly handled on extraction, unlike most vanilla assets which seemingly extract without much issue, aside from the scorpion, of course, but that's already been mentioned. A few examples I know of off the top of my head would be things like most of the assets from the old SPV2 tagset release .map file, the animations for the old coldsnap bipedal mechs, and I believe the falcon from bigass also has broken animations and turning values when extracted with HEK+.

I know that, for example, firing effects for weapons always have their marker references misplaced upon extraction. For a while, I thought this was an issue of the .gbxmodel marker references breaking upon extraction with the HEK+, but in actuality, in the weapon's firing effect tag, despite having primary trigger, ejection, etc. present within the .effect's markers block, they are improperly referenced in the actual effect section, and always seem to default to the first marker in the index block (which is usually primary trigger), instead of the properly referenced marker in the original tag.

This is why you get the issue of bullet casings flying out of the primary trigger of a weapon upon extraction with HEK+.

It's these kind of inconsistent and trivial issues that are scattered around the HEK+ that just completely dissuade me from using it whenever possible.

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 26, 2017 12:43 PM    Msg. 9 of 16       
Halo Tag Converter fixes most of these issues already. It's just an unstable AF program

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 26, 2017 01:11 PM    Msg. 10 of 16       
Well good news is that everything you guys have mentioned doesnt seem to be a problem with my extractor. I havent tested recorded animations or the biped shadows, but i tested everything else you guys mentioned and i see no problems. I've also got everything completely extracting. I just need to make a usable extraction queue widget and fix a bug with 4byte colors and then you guys can try it out.

not giraffe

dead meme

Posted: May 26, 2017 11:07 PM    Msg. 11 of 16       
One thing I forgot to mention, maybe it's just me but most of the bitmap tags from the default ui.map come out corrupted.

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 27, 2017 12:42 AM    Msg. 12 of 16       
Not just you. Indeed do. Freaking a pain to go in and find which bitmap youre looking for in that mess too when you need to fix it

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: May 27, 2017 02:37 AM    Msg. 13 of 16       

I remember when ripping shader_transparent_chicago_ex (and maybe just the shader_transparent_chicago) that the color function and alpha function would be swapped.

FtDSpartn

Thank you.

Posted: May 30, 2017 05:26 AM    Msg. 14 of 16       
Quote: --- Original message by: not giraffe
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

Probably issues with recorded animations as well. I remember that pelican in the Silent Cartographer flying drunk.

I believe that it's actually an issue with the .physics tags that get extracted.

KingNick220

xXx 420 n0sc0pes MLG xXx

Posted: May 30, 2017 07:06 AM    Msg. 15 of 16       
When you say OS support and all tags, do you mean all the OS exclusive tags such as things like OS shaders?

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 30, 2017 08:04 PM    Msg. 16 of 16       
Yeah, everything open sauce is supported. There's even support for the old project_yellow_globals where you could reference a project_yellow_globals_cv tag. Everything is almost ready for you guys to test. There will be bugs (including some i know about atm), so dont expect everything to be perfect.

I'm currently finishing up the gui and adding special features, like renaming tags and directories before you extract anything. This way you can easily renamed protected tags and directories. I'm thinking about adding the ability to save the deprotected map, but i'll need to work out the logistics of it.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed July 26, 2017 8:36 PM 484 ms.
A Halo Maps Website