A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Hosting CE Server through NAT'd firewall

Author Topic: Hosting CE Server through NAT'd firewall (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

abzstrak

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 10:22 PM    Msg. 1 of 9       
Anyone have any tips? Ports 2302/2303 don't seem to be sufficient. The server shows in the list, but no ping is listed and no one can join (just negotiates connection until it times out.) I tried enabling upnp, that didn't seem to help at all.

I've tried forwarding a ton of different ports that I've found through googling, nothing helps. Netstat only shows 2302 and 2303 as listening. OS firewall is disabled and OS is stock win7 with no AV or anything getting in the way. haloceded is stock, no mods or anything until I figure out why it doesn't work.

Same happens if I use hosting in game instead of a dedicated server.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Edited by abzstrak on Jun 7, 2017 at 10:24 PM
Edited by abzstrak on Jun 7, 2017 at 10:24 PM

XxPopeAK49xX

It's better being a jerk.

Posted: Jun 8, 2017 01:16 AM    Msg. 2 of 9       
I recommend just renting. That way you can have a server up 24/7 + easy management.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jun 8, 2017 03:54 PM    Msg. 3 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: abzstrak

Anyone have any tips? Ports 2302/2303 don't seem to be sufficient. The server shows in the list, but no ping is listed and no one can join

If you are running the dedicated server on the same box as the client then you will have port conflicts since the default settings for both will try to use 2302. You can use the "-port" command line to select a different port for the dedicated server to run on. For example: "haloceded.exe -exec {drive:}\{path}\init.txt -path {drive:}\{path}\variants -port 2322"

Then in your router port forward that port 2322 (or whatever you select) for inbound traffic to the (internal) IP of pc you are hosting the server on. Select both TCP and UDP for forwarding since the server uses UDP for the game and TCP for connecting to server masters.

Dedicated Server Command Line arguments

abzstrak

Posted: Jun 10, 2017 02:44 PM    Msg. 4 of 9       
yea, not the same box. I tried on the same box too (obviously changing the ports) that resulted in the same no joinable behavior. i tried hosting directly out of the game itself, and people cannot join.

There has to be more to it than the two ports. I did try altering the default ports for the heck of it, still didn't work.

I got annoyed and finally forwarded ports 1-65535 to the box, still didn't work....

Dennis

Posted: Jun 10, 2017 05:23 PM    Msg. 5 of 9       
I got annoyed and finally forwarded ports 1-65535 to the box, still didn't work....
I know it seems basic but Be sure you are forwarding to the correct IP for the server box and that the Windows firewall allows it. Also what router are you using and is there a separate cable/DSL modem in front of it that may be blocking inbound traffic?

abzstrak

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 02:20 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
yes, of course ports/ip's are correct.

Firewall is pfsense, other port forwards work fine... so I don't think that's it.

This is an infuriating simple task that seemingly doesn't work the way it should. I have yet to find someone confirming that it works ok through NAT with just those two ports on 1.0.10.... I'm thinking something may have changed when the gamespy stuff changed.

Guess if I get the time I'll wireshark it and look for other traffic.

XxPopeAK49xX

It's better being a jerk.

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 04:14 PM    Msg. 7 of 9       

Dennis

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 10:20 PM    Msg. 8 of 9       
I have yet to find someone confirming that it works ok through NAT with just those two ports on 1.0.10....
It works. I have done it. I Have used Netgear, Linksys and Dlink routers and been able to host games. In all cases the outside of those devices had an external (routable) IP and the inside non-routable private networks. Is there a router or cable modem in front of the pfsense appliance? The pfsense device appears to be a firewall not a router. Is the WAN port connected directly to the Internet? Is there a router behind the pfsense device or just a switch? If you have opened the firewall then some other device is most likely blocking the ports.

abzstrak

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 11:55 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
Thanks for confirming it works through NAT with just those two ports, that does help me narrow things down. Although it works for other ports, I have to think that its an issue with the firewall not forwarding properly.

pfsense is a firewall, but it is also a router. There isn't alot of difference except that, in layman terms, a firewall is more advanced.

The cable modem involved is a bridge, it only has a bridges and does not NAT or anything else.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue June 27, 2017 11:44 PM 171 ms.
A Halo Maps Website