A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Release] Guerilla Font

Author Topic: [Release] Guerilla Font (12 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 01:39 AM    Msg. 1 of 12       
I painstakingly reconstructed all the one-byte characters displayable by Guerilla.

Now you can display nostalgic Guerilla text in other applications. The font looks best at size 9 or size 12, one of which is what Guerilla uses.

Some of the work was adopted from Levi Windows, which apparently Guerilla uses and has additional glyphs making some kind of proprietary embedded font which you now can use. I added glyphs for all 256 code points, respecting the style of the original font but making some adjustments so that pretty much every code point has a unique glyph.

Guerilla font: https://halo.galaxyverge.com/files/kit/resources/fonts/Guerilla.ttf
WinMenu (recrafted) font: https://halo.galaxyverge.com/files/kit/resources/fonts/WinMenu.ttf

All the characters in the Guerilla font:

It took me 14 hours and 30 minutes to make the Guerilla font and about 3.5 hours to remake the WINmenu font.

Note: Guerilla uses a second font for the headings: WinMenu published in 2001 by Roger Vershen. It's part of a package of four fonts but is individually sold for $79. So instead, I'm remaking that font also...
Edited by sparky on Jun 20, 2017 at 04:46 PM

EDIT: I painstakingly updated the kerning of the font. It displays properly in Safari, but Chrome does something weird with font smoothing anyway, so whatever.

You can see how I tested it so that every letter matches specifically. Here is a demo web page:
https://halo.galaxyverge.com/files/kit/resources/fonts/demo.html

This is what it looks like, and you can see how a screenshot of Guerilla behind a transparent window of the web page overlays 100% accurately. I did have to do a lot of adjustments via CSS, and then with the fonts also. The fonts linked are updated ("broken" to fit the kerning of how they are in Guerilla).

I can now remake Guerilla in its entirety as a web site.
Edited by sparky on Jun 20, 2017 at 10:55 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 04:48 PM    Msg. 2 of 12       
Is that even legal tho?

not giraffe

dead meme

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 05:32 PM    Msg. 3 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

Note: Guerilla uses a second font for the headings: WinMenu published in 2001 by Roger Vershen. It's part of a package of four fonts but is individually sold for $79. So instead, I'm remaking that font also..

I didn't know stealing works from a dead man was the Christian way. Very interesting. You once said that all you needed was to believe in Jesus to meet with him. To this day, I still haven't met him, so I think belief is not enough. It seems that I still need to perform many more "good deeds" before I can meet with Jesus. Maybe one day I can be as devout as you.

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 04:45 PM    Msg. 4 of 12       
Oh guys please, you aren't even giving him a chance xD

Nice font pack Sparky :)

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 05:53 PM    Msg. 5 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
Oh guys please, you aren't even giving him a chance xD

Literally been given infinite chances. And every time he storms out in childlike anger saying he will never come back to the forums because everyone is "persecuting" him.

Vergil

you're just mad cuz you're angry

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 07:15 PM    Msg. 6 of 12       
literally looks just like ms sans serif

HandofGod

Halo Mac/MD Player & Modder

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 11:02 AM    Msg. 7 of 12       

It took me 14 hours and 30 minutes to make the Guerilla font and about 3.5 hours to remake the WINmenu font.

Almost 19 hours working on this total? That time could have been spent working on Zeus!

Edited by HandofGod on Jun 23, 2017 at 11:17 AM

EmmanuelCD

Using fox avatar since 1893

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 10:36 PM    Msg. 8 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: HandofGod

Almost 19 hours working on this total? That time could have been spent working on Zeus!

Or getting a job

MatthewDratt

YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A TAG

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 10:51 PM    Msg. 9 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD

Or getting a job

Or volunteering for victimized and harmed animals at an animal shelter
Edited by MatthewDratt on Jun 23, 2017 at 10:51 PM

sparky

Posted: Jun 24, 2017 02:18 PM    Msg. 10 of 12       

Work on these fonts was a related tangent that took two days aside during a 7-day break period from working on Inferno. I am very verbose about progress in my Discord server. I was working on strings at the time and wanted to determine how Guerilla used glyphs and whether its behavior was affected by font. I also took much time to alter the kerning to match how it appears in Guerilla, although I am not interested in completing that work yet.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jun 24, 2017 05:44 PM    Msg. 11 of 12       
I am very verbose about ...

Literally everything because you inherently lack the ability to communicate properly with others. Learn to be concise, because nobody will want to take a 40 page essay on something that can be summed up in 2 breif sentences, at best.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jun 24, 2017 08:18 PM    Msg. 12 of 12       
Honestly R93, I think he might be learning. He's posted twice on this thread and both are actually of reasonable length lol.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue June 27, 2017 11:31 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website