A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Moses's Refined Campaign

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Moses's Refined Campaign (41 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 12:21 AM    Msg. 1 of 41       
So it's been bothering me that we've never had a port of the campaign to Halo Custom Edition that wasn't broken in some significant way that we could fix(missing multipurpose maps, broken cutscenes, broken scripts, no biped shadows, etc). I took some time today to fix this. As of this moment they are all uploaded to halomaps and are awaiting dennis's approval, but Michelle also uploaded them to her google drive too, so here:

DOWNLOADS
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1LjERLq599jbXV3YUZLT0JoRTQ

Due to how the ui needs these maps to be named to load them(a10, b30, etc) that is still how they are named. Dennis, I know you have a thing against duplicate map names in the downloads, but it can't be helped here. I've at least prefixed the zip files with "Mo's Refined", so maybe use that for the download name and keep the actual XX0.map files named how they are.

Here are a few things to note about my conversion:

• All tags were ripped from the Halo PC campaign using Refinery, and I am quite certain
    it rips perfectly(I played the entire campaign through on Normal to test it).

• Pistol and Plasma Rifle have had their projectile error cone FIXED in accordance with
    Ifafudafi's information in this post:
    http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?25537-HALO-EXPOSED-Hardly-Lebel-Multiplayer-Designer-Starts-a-Blog&p=655013&viewfull=1#post655013.

• ALL missing multipurpose maps have been restored.

• Most diffuse and multipurpose bitmaps for the cyborg, vehicles, and weapons have been
    replaced with 32bit versions extracted from the tags that shipped with the HEK.
    This means the textures are the highest quality you'll ever see them, though it does
    bump each maps size up by 30MB-50MB(cause they are higher quality AND they aren't
    stored in the bitmaps.map anymore).

• Some scenery objects use shader_environment tags, and Halo CE does not render them
    properly in fog. Halo PC does, but they broke this when making Custom Edition.
    This can be seen by looking at one of the large human barricades in a10 near the start.
    It's in a dark and foggy room, and it's tinted almost completely white(the fog color).
    Nothing I can do about this without making new, different shaders(and I'm NOT doing
    that for everything).

• Biped shadows DO appear, and any other bugs that you might've encountered while
    extracting with HEK+ are not present.

For reference, this is a list of every multipurpose bitmap from Halo PC that has solid black in its red, green, blue, and alpha channels(meaning it's empty):

levels\a10\bitmaps\obj-chair multi.bitmap
levels\a10\bitmaps\obj-tech rack multi.bitmap
levels\a30\devices\torpedo_bridge\bitmaps\metal flat generic bridge_multi.bitmap
levels\a30\devices\torpedo_bridge\bitmaps\metal strips narrow bridge_multi.bitmap
levels\a50\devices\light_ceiling\bitmaps\light fixture metal multi.bitmap
levels\c20\devices\door_mainshaft\bitmaps\door_mainshaft multi.bitmap
powerups\assault rifle ammo\bitmaps\ar ammo multipurpose.bitmap
powerups\flamethrower ammo\bitmaps\flamethrower ammo multipurpose.bitmap
powerups\healthpack\bitmaps\healthpack_multi.bitmap
powerups\pistol ammo\bitmaps\p ammo multipurpose.bitmap
powerups\rocket launcher ammo\bitmaps\rocket launcher ammo multipurpose.bitmap
powerups\shotgun ammo\bitmaps\sg ammo multipurpose.bitmap
powerups\sniper rifle ammo\bitmaps\sr ammo multipurpose.bitmap
scenery\baton\bitmaps\baton multi.bitmap
scenery\c_uplink\bitmaps\c_uplink_multi.bitmap
scenery\captain_implant\bitmaps\nastyimplant_multi.bitmap
scenery\cutscene_small_rock\bitmaps\smallrock multi.bitmap
scenery\halo\bitmaps\halo inner ring multi.bitmap
scenery\halo\bitmaps\halo outer ring multi.bitmap
scenery\index\bitmaps\index_multi.bitmap
scenery\lockpick\bitmaps\lockpick multi.bitmap
vehicles\fighterbomber\bitmaps\fighterbomber-multi.bitmap
weapons\assault rifle\fp\bitmaps\assault rifle multipurpose.bitmap
weapons\assault rifle\fp\bitmaps\display multipurpose.bitmap
weapons\flag\fp\bitmaps\flag fp multipurpose.bitmap

I figured out which ones were bad by extracting all the tags, and running a small script to check the tags. The script scanned for bitmaps with "multi" in their name, and checked if the pixel data was all black. For restoring these, I extracted the uncompressed multipurpose maps from the tags that shipped with the HEK in a similar way to how TeXource works. For the others, I extracted them from xbox maps with Refinery and used my Halo Bitmap Optimizer to convert them to PC. After converting to PC, I kept them as 32bit so more compression artifacts aren't introduced from decompressing dxt1/3/5, swapping channels, and recompressing.

NOTE: Because the flag is not in ANY of the campaign maps, its fixed multi isn't in any of these maps.

So yeah, essentially this is as good a port of the campaign as we can get for Halo CE, with enhanced fidelity on the most important textures to help make up for some of the things we can't make work.

Here's some pics to show you things that have had their multi's restored, textures that have been replaced with uncompressed versions, the shader_environment bug I'm talking about, and some Johnson butt grabbing.

Yes, I realize the screenshot was pasted wrong. I'm too lazy to fix it.

Have fun.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jun 27, 2017 at 04:54 PM

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 04:03 AM    Msg. 2 of 41       
Looks great :D

Only the last pic seems strange cuz you see the bridge on the left

Nertez

🤔🤔🤔

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 09:27 AM    Msg. 3 of 41       
this is brilliant, thank you so much. could you comment as to where your port supersedes austen1000's as detailed here?:

https://austenmodsarchieve.wordpress.com/updated-halo-custom-edition-campaign-port/

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 01:36 PM    Msg. 4 of 41       
Copy + pasted his list here and sorted it based on what my port fixes. He can certainly improve on mine, but remember, I did this in roughly one day. Proper extraction is the key. If he wants, he's welcome to use Refinery to extract the campaign maps I uploaded, fix the things I didn't(and that issue with the shader_environment tags in fog), and uploaded a "Perfectly Refined" version.

Fixed:

Fixed AI grenade throwing. AI couldnít throw grenades because of corrupt throw velocity values for actor_variants (thanks to various people, such as Masterz1337, for providing info on this, as well as estimate values for the velocities).
Addressed Sentinel shields so they arenít constantly visible on Sentinels that donít have shields at all. Though I think, due to some issue with the modifications Gearbox made to CEís engine, I canít seem to get the shields to appear only when damaged.
Fixed an issue with health packs on A10 (Pillar of Autumn) and D40 (The Maw) that were on the ground when they were suppose to be on the wall.
Fixed some encounters, so they work properly, such as the first encounter on a50 (Truth and Reconciliation).

Fixed several instances of missing multipurpose maps and shaders, such as for the Assault Rifle and Halo ring (thanks to Bungie for the original assets and to various community members for bringing them to Custom Edition).
Fixed several lightning effects, such as those found in C20 (The Library) and the Monitorís lightning tendril.
Attempt to fully fix the sentinel shield problem.
Fix the Longsword missing its multipurpose map.

Not fixed:

Fixed a couple of instances of objects having incorrect impact materials.
Fix graphical issues with glass on B40 (Assault on the Control Room) and C40 (Two Betrayals).
Fix the missing shield flare for the Master Chiefís shields when recharging.
Fixed fog in the exterior areas of B40, so that it looks just like what can be found on the Xbox.
Fix issues with fog on several levels.
Fix Cortana not changing colors in Haloís Control Center.
Address issues with Jackal and stationary shields. Because of the rendering engine for Halo on PC, these issues canít truly be fixed. Jackal shields are now colored based on rank, and both those and stationary shields have a damage shader (I originally used CMTís Jackal Shields, but, switched to the Lumoria shields. Thanks to TM mapping team for those. Also, thanks to SOI7 for the damage shader for the stationary shields).
Fix the off-center elevation markers inside the Sniper Rifle scope, and modify the Sniper Rifle scope overlay to look more like the Xbox version (namely, saying 10x, as opposed to 8x, for the 2nd level of zoom).
Fix the issue with the shuttle bay door on A50 missing its off shader.
NOTE: There never was an off shader. Xbox used a shader_transparent_generic for the shield and used
the position of the door as a 3 second long function to slowly fade the shader to fully transparent.
Look here to see what I mean: http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o630/MosesofEgypt/shield%20shader_zpsvavaf3aq.png~original

Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 3, 2017 at 07:48 PM

EmmanuelCD

Using fox avatar since 1893

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 11:47 PM    Msg. 5 of 41       
Awesome work Moses, know I can unistall useless Halo Pc version

MEGA_VKNG

Apparently not allowed to move on

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 12:33 AM    Msg. 6 of 41       
absolutely badass, thanks Moses.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 03:55 AM    Msg. 7 of 41       
Would this be better than Austen's port that was done a while back?
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=47079
https://austenmodsarchieve.wordpress.com/
E: This one was the best one at this point to my knowledge.
Edited by Spartan314 on Jun 27, 2017 at 03:55 AM

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 09:19 AM    Msg. 8 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
Have fun when they show up in the downloads section.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jun 26, 2017 at 02:54 AM

but I don't want to wait months for it to appear...

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 12:30 PM    Msg. 9 of 41       
Well if anyone is willing to host them, i can send them over skype or discord. It's 824MB with everything compressed. I aint got dat much dropbox room. Also, for anyone wanting the tags, just rip with refinery. That's how i got them. I can pretty much guarantee refinery rips perfectly at this point. Not so sure about OS maps tho, cause i have been missing fields in them in the past and i never tested ripping and recompiling one.

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 04:58 PM    Msg. 10 of 41       

MatthewDratt

Support Higuy https://t.co/9mIC7v3J5j

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 04:59 PM    Msg. 11 of 41       
I can also toss them up on the CE3 site when I get the chance

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 05:04 PM    Msg. 12 of 41       
please do

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jul 1, 2017 02:46 AM    Msg. 13 of 41       
So apparently one of my texture tweaks amplified a bug that bungie never caught. The lifepod's atmosphere-entry texture for the hull has an alpha channel, which causes parts of it to be transparent. This is actually pretty bad since the metal hull shouldnt be transparent at all lol. The original texture in the official game is compressed with dxt1, making it a black/white alpha channel. The transparent parts in it are limited to the absolute darkest pixels, which isn't much.

When I used the uncompressed texture though, it ended up amplifying the issue cause now it's not limited to the darkest spots being transparent; most of the friggen lifepod is transparent. Oh well. I figured there might be some stupid bugs i couldn't predict when I decided to use the uncompressed original textures. I'll try to get around to fixing it soon.

Here's what the textures look like. Just imagine the left as greyscale(dont have photoshop on this pc), compared to the dxt1 on the right.

OrangeJuice

I laugh at people who put STUDIOS in their name.

Posted: Jul 1, 2017 04:11 AM    Msg. 14 of 41       
oooohh.... What does its alpha do ?

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 1, 2017 05:58 PM    Msg. 15 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
oooohh.... What does its alpha do ?

Transparency, like almost all alphas. If you compare, it would make floor grates transparent and put holes or gaps in certain sections of the model.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jul 1, 2017 09:29 PM    Msg. 16 of 41       
Yeah, like half of the lifepod was transparent, making it look like an ugly mess. I fixed it by opening a10 and a30 in a hex editor and changing the format of the texture from a8r8g8b8 to x8r8g8b8. Literally just had to change one byte in each map from 0x0b to 0x0a. Michelle uploaded the fixed ones to her google drive(replacing the bad ones), so if anyone downloaded them before, grab the fixed ones. I'd like you guys to try the campaign out and let me know about any more issues like this.

OrangeJuice

Posted: Jul 1, 2017 10:58 PM    Msg. 17 of 41       
Guess we can all agree that its alpha does nothing then xD

Unless it was intentional because the model was meant to only be seen from far away on a small interlaced screen?
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jul 1, 2017 at 10:59 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 2, 2017 09:10 AM    Msg. 18 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

Guess we can all agree that its alpha does nothing then xD

Unless it was intentional because the model was meant to only be seen from far away on a small interlaced screen?
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jul 1, 2017 at 10:59 PM

The original bitmap was compiled with a one bit alpha. Therefore if something wasn't completely black it was white. When Moses recompiled the raw textures in a higher-quality format, the Alpha was grayscale. Now the lifepod is semi transparent, where as in the stock halo game the compiled a bitmap would not be.

The original bitmap would've had details like the grates or holes transparent, without noticeable errors. but because Moses recompiled it now is bugged.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jul 2, 2017 11:30 AM    Msg. 19 of 41       
Well, it's not bugged anymore. Just redownload it from the google drive. I hex edited the mas to change the bitmap format so it ignores the alpha.

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Jul 2, 2017 11:36 AM    Msg. 20 of 41       
As for your fog issues on scenery which improperly use shader_environments, I believe there's a flag you can check which will fix the issue, one that is shared by all of the "shdr" tag classes, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm pretty sure that back in the day, when dealing with large set-pieces in the form of scenery (like large frigates in the sky for instance), I'd check a flag in the shader_model tag which eliminated the strange masking of the shader by the overall fog color, and I believe that flag was "true atmospheric fog."

EmmanuelCD

Posted: Jul 2, 2017 10:54 PM    Msg. 21 of 41       
links are broken, can somebody upload them to mediafire or mega?

Isxz

MrChromed

Posted: Jul 3, 2017 05:35 PM    Msg. 22 of 41       
First of all, great campaign port, but unfortunately it has some bugs. Here are some examples:

- The energy sword has a broken light glow.

Pretty sure these are fixed:
Fixed fog in the exterior areas of B40, so that it looks just like what can be found on the Xbox.

Nope, I see the broken fog as always.

Pretty sure these are fixed:
Fix Cortana not changing colors in Haloís Control Center.

Cortana never changes her color. She is just green.

Unsure if fixed:
Fix graphical issues with glass on B40 (Assault on the Control Room) and C40 (Two Betrayals).

You're right. I can still seeing the "rainbow bug"

Unsure if fixed:
Fix the missing shield flare for the Master Chiefís shields when recharging.

I never saw that effect on screen.

MatthewDratt

Support Higuy https://t.co/9mIC7v3J5j

Posted: Jul 3, 2017 06:21 PM    Msg. 23 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD
links are broken, can somebody upload them to mediafire or mega?

http://haloce3.com/downloads/singleplayer/modified-singleplayer/mosess-refined-campaign/

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jul 3, 2017 07:29 PM    Msg. 24 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: Isxz

Unsure if fixed:

You're right. I can still seeing the "rainbow feature"

ftfy

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jul 3, 2017 07:45 PM    Msg. 25 of 41       
UGH. I can't believe I shipped the maps with the borked glow tags. I fixed them, but I guess I overwrote them with bad ones before I compiled the final versions. Well, I've sent the REFIXED maps to michelle to re-upload. Matt, you might want to update a50, b30, b40, and c40 with the ones in michelle's google drive when she has them updated. Just check the date on them I guess.

As for the other stuff, I'll just leave it to austin to improve on my port and fix those things, since they're things he's fixed already/intending to fix.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 3, 2017 at 08:23 PM

EmmanuelCD

Posted: Jul 3, 2017 10:41 PM    Msg. 26 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: Isxz

Nope, I see the broken fog as always.

http://i.imgur.com/TCPqBZv.jpg

Probably its a problem with the engine itself, thanks Gearbox

SOI_7

Tatsumaki best waifu

Posted: Jul 4, 2017 02:22 PM    Msg. 27 of 41       
Change the "opaque distance" in the fog tag to 0 and the fog will look fine, but it won't allow you to open the scenario in sapien anymore unless you change that value again

Isxz

MrChromed

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 12:10 AM    Msg. 28 of 41       
Michelle just updated some maps in her Google Drive folder. The new b40.map has only one fixed issue: the energy sword light glow. The rest of the issues are still present as I mentioned above.
Edited by Isxz on Jul 5, 2017 at 12:11 AM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 12:24 AM    Msg. 29 of 41       
I'm aware. I'm not fixing any of the others. I'm leaving the rest up to austin. The only real bugs with this port exist in the Halo PC one as well(except the broken rendering of environment shaders on scenery), so I'm content with that. This was partially a test of Refinery, but also me wanting a port of the campaign for CE that had no gameplay bugs(and very few graphical ones). Matt, you might wanna replace the maps I specified earlier on the download page with the ones in michelle's google drive now.

Isxz

MrChromed

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 12:34 AM    Msg. 30 of 41       
Is austin1000 still active? I don't know any news from him since years.
Edited by Isxz on Jul 5, 2017 at 12:34 AM

OrangeJuice

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 04:17 AM    Msg. 31 of 41       
Aww man, you got cool chroma glass?

All I got was glass that gave broken-TV static.

Which reminds me. Bumped glass is completely broken so it might work or not work depending on one's own computer. tested in sapien

dgvoodoo2 wrapper which can emulate geforce 3/4 hardware, but it's only for d3d8 and stuff so it doesn't work here :/

A lot of this stuff persists and is probably unfixable outside of modifying the renderer.

Edited by OrangeJuice on Jul 6, 2017 at 05:24 AM

Imouto

Waffles B&

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 11:55 AM    Msg. 32 of 41       
Most of this stuff just cannot be fixed, I tried everything i could think of--even doing shaders by hand.

I ended up giving up a long time ago with the same stuff, just not worth the effort and too many walls hit. I still have my original xbox halo, and sat there going through everything side by side trying to "fix" everything and its just not possible unless you modify the ported engine, and i just dont have the knowledge to do so. I love this game but also hate it.

few things i noted when doing my own work...

-hud rendering works differently from the xbox, on the pc when shield takes damage it drains the bar instantly, xbox the end of the shield meter would glow white when hit (possibly either the ui tag got changed or it has something to do with the breaking of some xbox bitmap formats)

-sniper ticks wont render blue properly and instead flash every color in the rainbow when aiming

There was so much i wanted to do with CE but the engine is limited and the port is just bad.
Edited by Imouto on Jul 6, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 05:59 PM    Msg. 33 of 41       
WAFFLES!

Leo74800

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 08:07 PM    Msg. 34 of 41       

Edited by Leo74800 on Jul 6, 2017 at 08:07 PM

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 08:14 PM    Msg. 35 of 41       
uhh, did someone forget to tick the "not alpha-tested" box?

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed July 26, 2017 8:34 PM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website