A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Chimera [WIP Mod] - Improved netcode and animation interpolation.

Author Topic: Chimera [WIP Mod] - Improved netcode and animation interpolation. (29 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 07:45 PM    Msg. 1 of 29       
Chimera is a mod in development by 002.

It does things like:

-Enables player_magnetism for controllers without requiring HAC2 or devmode
-Fixes descoping issues in multiplayer servers
-Fixes aim assist, enabling it for both the movement and aiming versus just aiming (chimera_magnetism)
-*Adds diagonals to analog input when in multiplayer servers (chimera_diagonals)
-*Mimic's Xbox's automatic uncrouching when using analog input (chimera_auto_uncrouch)

-Enable anisotropic filtering without using config.txt (chimera_af)
-Override HUD with splitscreen HUD (chimera_split_screen)
-*Allow video input to continue playing even when tabbed out (chimera_tab_out_video)
-*Disable multitexture overlays (chimera_block_mo)
-*Disable multiplayer map fade transition (chimera_skip_loading)
-*Disable zoom blur and pixelation (chimera_block_zoom_blur)
-Make objects appear much smoother to take advantage of higher framerates (chimera_interpolate)
-Allow mouse users a more granular sensitivity control (chimera_sens_mouse_<h/v>)

*This feature requires Halo Custom Edition to function properly.

Red features are enabled by default without user input.
Green features are disabled by default and require use of the console to enable them. Use the chimera command to list commands.

The mod should work alongside hac2 or opensauce just fine.

Here is a video of the interpolation feature:

Here is a vid demonstrating the netcode fixes and analogue movement online:

Check the opencarnage thread for more details, the FAQ and updates. Also, don't get build 33, it is a bit broken.

https://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/6916-chimera-build-33

Again, I didn't make this. 002 made this. And I think it's great.
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Jul 6, 2017 at 08:12 PM

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 11:17 PM    Msg. 2 of 29       
>that interpolation feature

i hope the madman gets it working in fp. i'd nut for days

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 07:59 PM    Msg. 3 of 29       
It's honestly very uncertain that he will get it to work in fp. Mainly because of the fp stuff being stored in a place in memory that we don't even know where it is.

But hey, it's still a lot.

Here is another demonstration vid:

Edited by SBB_Michelle on Jul 6, 2017 at 08:10 PM

FtDSpartn

Thank you.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 09:29 PM    Msg. 4 of 29       
Magnificent.

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 09:48 PM    Msg. 5 of 29       
Right, because all of this works on the basis that all the things moving in the actual game scene are [obj]ect tag classes, and if I'm understanding this correctly, chimera's interpolation feature works by updating an object's position more frequently in between the game's tickrate.

Considering he does figure out how first person elements are implemented in the game runtime, 002 would probably have to create a whole new system solely for FP's interpolation since it probably doesn't deal with [obj]s.

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Jul 11, 2017 09:44 AM    Msg. 6 of 29       
Developement is still going, performance issues have been gotten rid of now too.

Here is a new update vid from 002:

And here is a vid I recorded of the first cutscene when I was testing stuff for him:

As for first person, I am currently trying to figure something out by myself for if he doesn't figure it out. As a little thing to stick my time into :p
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Jul 23, 2017 at 05:33 PM

Atomic117

Bring me another!

Posted: Jul 11, 2017 04:16 PM    Msg. 7 of 29       
I don't need it. I don't need it...

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 11, 2017 08:07 PM    Msg. 8 of 29       
Outside of the warthogs shell casings, there was no obvious difference. During gameplay I wouldn't see any difference at all, the only reason I could see it with the shell casings is because the video is playing at half speed.

Even at half speed, I saw no difference between the two images. Guess my human eyes just aren't up to par.

1bobsam1

I win. You lose.

Posted: Jul 12, 2017 03:37 AM    Msg. 9 of 29       
Simply amazing.

Posted: Jul 12, 2017 04:19 AM    Msg. 10 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Outside of the warthogs shell casings, there was no obvious difference. During gameplay I wouldn't see any difference at all, the only reason I could see it with the shell casings is because the video is playing at half speed.

Even at half speed, I saw no difference between the two images. Guess my human eyes just aren't up to par.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ea/eb/56/eaeb56efc71b0e013d2754712508ec0c.jpg

I suppose if you're not used to playing games at 60 FPS, you probably wouldn't be able to spot the difference, which then this particular feature isn't for you, then. Personally I find the juttery 30 FPS movement to be an atrocious eyesore, and so have many others, and that is why this feature exists.

Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC
Right, because all of this works on the basis that all the things moving in the actual game scene are [obj]ect tag classes, and if I'm understanding this correctly, chimera's interpolation feature works by updating an object's position more frequently in between the game's tickrate.

Considering he does figure out how first person elements are implemented in the game runtime, 002 would probably have to create a whole new system solely for FP's interpolation since it probably doesn't deal with [obj]s.

Yeah, first person stuff appears to be a pretty tough nut to crack. I'd probably be in over my head if I tried that, not that I'm not already in over my head.

FtDSpartn

Thank you.

Posted: Jul 12, 2017 04:32 AM    Msg. 11 of 29       
This is definitely going to be something I can't go without once it's out. I'm assuming this works just as well for higher frame and refresh rates?

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Jul 12, 2017 03:54 PM    Msg. 12 of 29       

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ea/eb/56/eaeb56efc71b0e013d2754712508ec0c.jpg

It makes so much of a difference to me in actual gameplay, things feel like they are actually moving instead of changing position, closeups fights aren't disorienting and more of that stuff. in the still shots it looks almost the same but in moving shots like when you are trying to melee an enemy it is super visible.

Quote: --- Original message by: FtDSpartn
This is definitely going to be something I can't go without once it's out. I'm assuming this works just as well for higher frame and refresh rates?

It calculates the positions for every frame. so it interpolates to any fps. :D

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 05:05 AM    Msg. 13 of 29       

Just to verify that I can tell a difference, I made a video showing me being able to consistently tell the difference between the four different settings of Chimera's interpolation mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckKO50kuh94

That said, I don't doubt you. Also, this is a silly video without any real use or anything. If you can't tell the difference between 30 frames per second and 60 or you aren't used to it to be able to tell how annoying things look when you run Halo above 30 FPS, then sure, you probably wouldn't benefit from this. To me, the difference is very distinct - without it, objects appear to be moving 30 times per second rather than moving fluidly and consistently. It looks bad and it plays bad as a result, and were it not for the better camera responsiveness, I'd just play the game at 30 FPS rather than unlocked. With it, movement is consistent and looks like actual movement.

Edited by 002 on Jul 18, 2017 at 06:19 AM

Halonimator

Halo5gsucks.com

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 11:29 AM    Msg. 14 of 29       
Some dead bodies disappear in sp mode, and decals change of size when you enter new bsps.

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 02:56 PM    Msg. 15 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator
Some dead bodies disappear in sp mode, and decals change of size when you enter new bsps.

What build are you using? Build 33 is pretty unstable and most problems with it have been fixed. I haven't released an updated build yet as playtesting and polishing up are being done.

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 08:13 PM    Msg. 16 of 29       
When I was watching 002's video and at the end 002 played a bit without interpolation I actually felt some nausea. I have had it before with this game if I have played other games for a while and then come back to this one. But now I am just so used to having it with debug builds that I never ever want to go without it.

Playing the game with this for the first time was just a massive joy and it still is. I'm pretty sure it is because of that that I went and posted a thread about it here even though it might not have been advisable at the time.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 09:24 PM    Msg. 17 of 29       
Ill have to check ingame whenever i get set back up.

Halonimator

Halo5gsucks.com

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 12:41 AM    Msg. 18 of 29       
What map is this "appears in 00:10" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w79bnHXaemc because maybe that teleported effect could be the fix for the ugly broken covenant shields.
http://i.imgur.com/FncgXHJ.gif

Im using chimera v33 with OS4 at max settings on a 4:3 monitor.
Edited by Halonimator on Jul 19, 2017 at 12:45 AM

Tucker933

Tucker933.com

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 04:12 AM    Msg. 19 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator
What map is this "appears in 00:10" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w79bnHXaemc because maybe that teleported effect could be the fix for the ugly broken covenant shields.

It's just the standard shield shader for MC.

This is the map though if you're curious: https://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/6794-phoenix-3-ce/
Edited by Tucker933 on Jul 19, 2017 at 04:13 AM

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jul 22, 2017 08:55 AM    Msg. 20 of 29       
Something I'd like to point out that I've noticed after using this for over a week: antenna tags, like those on the back of the warthog, seem to behave strangely. When viewed while in motion, when antennas animate, it's as if they've had a stereoscopic effect applied over them. They are very distorted and behave strangely.

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Jul 22, 2017 12:02 PM    Msg. 21 of 29       
they are not interpolated

HeyPiRon

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 08:06 AM    Msg. 22 of 29       
Every time I try chimera I got "gathering exeption data" and game just close. With HAC2, whiout HAC2, With OS, without OS - any combination. What I do wrong?

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 12:30 PM    Msg. 23 of 29       
What version of Halo are you playing on, and what other third-party injectors/applications are you using?

HeyPiRon

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 01:44 PM    Msg. 24 of 29       
Halo Custom edition 1.0.10 with HAC2 or with OS. I try all combinations. Even just Halo CE 1.0.10 give me same result. I use win7 x64. Never have any issues with HAC2 or OS, but chimera just din't want to work.

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 04:26 PM    Msg. 25 of 29       
I gave HeyPiRon the most recent alpha build that I had distributed and it worked.

Chimera's still pretty early in development, so these reports are helpful.

Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC
Something I'd like to point out that I've noticed after using this for over a week: antenna tags, like those on the back of the warthog, seem to behave strangely. When viewed while in motion, when antennas animate, it's as if they've had a stereoscopic effect applied over them. They are very distorted and behave strangely.

Antenna and other widgets are not interpolated currently. I'm not sure when or even if they will be, but I'll do my best to see if I can.
Edited by 002 on Jul 23, 2017 at 04:28 PM

Leo74800

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 09:28 PM    Msg. 26 of 29       
I found a bug on the map a10 with Chimera build 33 (alpha 34)

The bug appears when chimera_block_lod is set to 1

Edited by Leo74800 on Jul 23, 2017 at 09:39 PM

Posted: Jul 24, 2017 08:30 PM    Msg. 27 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: Leo74800

I found a bug on the map a10 with Chimera build 33 (alpha 34)

The bug appears when chimera_block_lod is set to 1

http://zupimages.net/up/17/30/frdg.png

http://zupimages.net/up/17/30/cghf.png

http://zupimages.net/up/17/30/qnph.png

http://zupimages.net/up/17/30/bkzs.png
Edited by Leo74800 on Jul 23, 2017 at 09:39 PM

That appears to be due to the higher LOD having the cyborg armor (thus you see your armor when you're inside of the thing). That'll be a little hard to fix, but I'll see if I can look into it. Maybe I can check the cutoff values.

edit: It shouldn't do it in further revisions.

Edited by 002 on Jul 25, 2017 at 04:45 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 05:46 AM    Msg. 28 of 29       
Is chimera_interpolation only present in build 33?

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 03:57 PM    Msg. 29 of 29       
One current issue with chimera_interpolate is that it's pretty CPU intensive, so the level of interpolation will be granular on a scale of 0 to 9. You can also specify using either "off", "low", "medium", "high", and "ultra" as well.

If you want an idea of how much of a performance hit each setting does, these values were recorded using FRAPS in The Silent Cartographer's opening cinematic:

If you have a potato CPU from before Windows 7 was released, you'll likely be sticking to low or medium. Otherwise, even the Haswell Pentium G3250 should be able to use 8 or 9 without issue. I'll be trying to optimize it even further, but I can't give any promises.

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Is chimera_interpolation only present in build 33?

There is a very early version of it, yes. It should work, but it might make maps like h3 foundry not work quite right. On stock maps, it should still be an improvement.

Edited by 002 on Jul 25, 2017 at 03:58 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu July 27, 2017 8:43 AM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website