A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Release] Inferno 0.1 (demo)

Author Topic: [Release] Inferno 0.1 (demo) (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Death does not bring you any closer to God.

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 06:49 PM    Msg. 1 of 9       
Demo build of Inferno, version 0.1. Opens .point_physics tags. Use with a clean installation of the HEK to open multiple .point_physics tags (most of which are in tags\effects\point_physics\) to see examples of where the header data is not uniform among them. Open those same files in a hex editor to show that there is the file name among the padding bytes where there should be zeros instead. It seems this is related to older tags, such as all those in tags\old tags.

This is a demo build for user feedback. Please provide comments about the document interface and behavior.

Download
Source
Edited by sparky on Jul 7, 2017 at 06:59 PM

Play around with it; here is the basic document view interface for .point_physics:
Demo Video

Edited by sparky on Jul 7, 2017 at 08:16 PM

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 07:23 PM    Msg. 2 of 9       
is this the map editor?

sparky

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 07:50 PM    Msg. 3 of 9       
Yes, that's the goal with a future version.

Any comments after playing around with the point physics tag interface? This is merely the document view; all the esoteric information will be resource-localized and I'm planning to have this in a tabbed view with a panel on the right that shows mouseover information.

This is the mock-up that yumiris did for the main window:

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 09:02 PM    Msg. 4 of 9       
What's the point of this?

sparky

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 09:04 PM    Msg. 5 of 9       
The purpose of Inferno is to be a replacement for the HEK and to go beyond what the HEK does.

The purpose of releasing a version 0.1 is to demonstrate the interface for tags (this is the part of Inferno that replaces Guerilla) and get feedback before applying similar functionality to the rest of it.

Comment now, because once I go ahead and apply the functionality to the other 82 tag file types, I'm going to ignore suggestions to change the behavior of all 83 tag types. It won't be excessively time-consuming to modify thanks to the use of xaml styles, but I will have moved on in the development process.
Edited by sparky on Jul 7, 2017 at 09:09 PM

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 09:44 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

The purpose of Inferno is to be a replacement for the HEK and to go beyond what the HEK does.

The purpose of releasing a version 0.1 is to demonstrate the interface for tags (this is the part of Inferno that replaces Guerilla) and get feedback before applying similar functionality to the rest of it.

Comment now, because once I go ahead and apply the functionality to the other 82 tag file types, I'm going to ignore suggestions to change the behavior of all 83 tag types. It won't be excessively time-consuming to modify thanks to the use of xaml styles, but I will have moved on in the development process.
Edited by sparky on Jul 7, 2017 at 09:09 PM

Whats the purpose of allowing the user to edit variables that seem to be useless? Engine version? how many of those are there?

sparky

Posted: Jul 8, 2017 03:57 AM    Msg. 7 of 9       
Editing some of those values is one way to break compatibility with the HEK. It's also there to let you manually fix some values, such as the miscellaneous values in the header, which Inferno might not normally overwrite unless you wanted it to overwrite them via a preferences setting. Inferno by default overwrites the entire header correctly, but that's optional, and it also generates a new header for new tags or those without obvious headers. The values that you cannot modify are values that are either read-only and strict, such as the file size, or the CRC32 which is recalculated anyway for you, or the filename and path which you don't modify in that way. The idea is that you can modify any part of the tag data, even data that Guerilla does not show. It's just a feature, don't bash it

Just because it seems useless now, it might be used anyway. For example, MosesofEgypt's tag editor adds bytes to the miscellany, whereas Inferno and Guerilla overwrite zeros there. So if you wanted a lossless editor for tags (besides the CRC32 which is recalculated for you anyway as you are editing the tag), then use Inferno instead of Guerilla -- because Inferno lets you save invalid data that it warns you in red text is invalid.
Edited by sparky on Jul 8, 2017 at 04:02 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 8, 2017 05:16 AM    Msg. 8 of 9       
Between kornman00 and mozzarella i dont really see a need for a Nother tag editor. The only things we can't currently at it, the things that have no effect on the engine so it would seem.

Investigate 3d environments and make me a new sapien however...

sparky

Posted: Jul 8, 2017 12:28 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
It's a goal. I need to do tag editing because a consolidated program to replace the HEK needs to first be able to parse tags.

I'd like to say how it's very nice to have people interested and helping with a project. Yumiris has been helping with suggestions and interface coding, and has been providing pull requests for me to merge into the project, such as this second pull reqeust: https://github.com/LiquidLightning/Inferno-Windows/pull/2. I welcome contributions and comments such as all those presented in this thread. Thanks!

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri September 22, 2017 9:35 AM 563 ms.
A Halo Maps Website