A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Today is Net Neutrality Day

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Today is Net Neutrality Day (36 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

sparky#0096

Posted: Jul 12, 2017 09:36 PM    Msg. 1 of 36       
https://netneutrality.internetassociation.org/action/
Do you use the Internet? Well, the Internet is in mortal peril. If you are a US Citizen, contact the FCC and/or your local senator to help save it for the rest of us.

Halo Maps Forum is hosted in the USA and if the FCC commissioner passes present legislation, it will undoubtedly be blocked or slowed down, not only for people in the USA, but in general. Other services like Discord and NetFlix would be in the same situation, and creativity and free speech will become history.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 12, 2017 10:33 PM    Msg. 2 of 36       
Thank you sparky, for finally being succinct with your remarks, on something worthwhile at that.

Excuse me while i boost this, and contemplate the fact that i just thanked you

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 07:39 AM    Msg. 3 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Do you use the Internet? Well, the Internet is in mortal peril. If you are a US Citizen, contact the FCC and/or your local senator to help save it or else creativity and free speech will become history.

Why do i have to even pay my phone bill with this rational? Shouldn't that also be neutral?
Edited by il Duce Primo on Jul 13, 2017 at 07:41 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 11:10 AM    Msg. 4 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Do you use the Internet? Well, the Internet is in mortal peril. If you are a US Citizen, contact the FCC and/or your local senator to help save it or else creativity and free speech will become history.

Why do i have to even pay my phone bill with this rational? Shouldn't that also be neutral?
Edited by il Duce Primo on Jul 13, 2017 at 07:41 AM

This post manifests one of two options;

You have literally no idea what net neutrality is.

Or

You have literally no idea what a metaphor is.

Imouto

Waffles B&

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 02:52 PM    Msg. 5 of 36       
I saw the notification on discord, idk what i'd do without it at this point now ~-~

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 10:28 PM    Msg. 6 of 36       
I know that net neutrality does not support people who invest in the infrastructure that create the internet.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 11:03 PM    Msg. 7 of 36       
I know that net neutrality does not support people who invest in the infrastructure that create the internet.
Rubbish. Just like open access laws didn't support the people that built the voice network or the cellular network. And yes that was sarcasm. Monopolistic industries need to be regulated to prevent artificially introduced stagnation and innovation of the technology in favor of money.

Could the ISP's make more money without net neutrality? You bet, but it would be at a cost to the greater good. Without net neutrality you could see $5.00 a month extra to play games over the net or extra to access netflix and hulu then another extra for amazon and Yahoo. Companies like Verizon, who owns AOL & Huffington Post could slow competing news organizations sites in favor of their own.

Without Net neutrality small providers like me would be at a great disadvantage since I would have to make deals with each ISP to either carry or place my data in the fast lane so I could compete.

Net neutrality is required.

Edited by Dennis on Jul 14, 2017 at 12:28 AM

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 08:43 AM    Msg. 8 of 36       
I don't see how making Netflix cheaper is for the greater good. That's a luxury service and so are services provided by big tech companies who have the most to lose. Those tech companies have gotten away with subsidized costs at the detriment of many other businesses.

You already have a deal with an ISP and most likely you would not have to negotiate with each ISP, instead that would be on the ISPs to negotiate among themselves.
Edited by il Duce Primo on Jul 14, 2017 at 08:43 AM

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 08:58 AM    Msg. 9 of 36       
Duce, I really wanted to break the profanity filter in this one to call you by what I think you are. But I think this explanation should not be subject to being removed for one word.

The part of what I want to say that actually matters:

Only big websites will be advantaged by the removal of net neutrality.
Those websites could make deals to make their websites load faster, and their competition load slower or not even have them be loaded. It becomes a battleground of who can throw the most money at ISPs to have only their service be usable.

They could easily destroy all of the competition which would make their monopolies grow and get rid of the need for websites and companies to innovate because no one else that people can properly access would be able to push them to do it.

Big companies start making more money, and small companies will start failing to make enough money to pay the bills.

Either we have the internet work the same way as water and only have you be charged for how much you use and not for what you use it for. Or we have new rules that basically say the same thing about it so that people can't tell the old timers in congress that the internet is dangerous and unregulated in order to pass filthy things like what I talked about.

The removal of net neutrality is a danger to the consumer, small companies and freedom of speech in the modern age.

Dennis

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 10:06 AM    Msg. 10 of 36       
You already have a deal with an ISP and most likely you would not have to negotiate with each ISP, instead that would be on the ISPs to negotiate among themselves.
You don't get it at all. My network is connected to the AT&T backbone that is who I pay for service. Without net neutrality I would not only have to pay for my connection with AT&T but also make deals with verizon, comcast, time warner and every small ISP that wanted to charge extra to put my data in their fast lane. Since the decision of who or what goes into the fast lane is content specific made by each local ISP my provider could not negotiate for me and if that was the case then my costs would increase to pay for that service.

Net neutrality prevents the ISP from putting their thumb on the scales of competition by insuring that all data gets treated equally. It prevents them from arbitrarily picking winners and losers or censoring the net in favor of their own content.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 10:32 AM    Msg. 11 of 36       

I don't see how making Netflix cheaper is for the greater good. That's a luxury service and so are services provided by big tech companies who have the most to lose. Those tech companies have gotten away with subsidized costs at the detriment of many other businesses.

So I see my first solution was correct, you literally have no idea what net neutrality is.

A word of advice; better to keep your mouth shut and be assumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Or, to put it simply; You never go full retard. You went full retard.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 03:25 PM    Msg. 12 of 36       

It's pretty simple my dumb who would ever want you as a friend. You know how you hate CNN and like to watch Fox? Well without net neutrality, your ISP (lets say its time warner who owns CNN) can make it so when you try to access Fox and it's affiliated news, it comes in 10x slower than CNN or whatever liberal news you hate. Therefore, you will be forced to wait long periods of time to load a website or stream the news you want, or you can watch whatever Time Warner wants you to watch super quickly. Unless Fox pays millions of dollars to Time Warner to get their content broadcast at a decent speed. So basically, you wouldn't be able to watch info wars anymore to get your news.

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Jul 16, 2017 03:46 AM    Msg. 13 of 36       
The issue here is the same issue that's caused many of the worlds problems. Large usually American International Business which only care about profit want to destroy your freedoms to make more money. The worst bit is. 90% of the planet, i.e., those who don't live in the US like me and many of the other people on this forum cannot even appose this because we have no say over what happens in the US government, and yet we still have to suffer the consequences.

Let me explain things simply.

Currently you have access to everything on the internet. This is because the internet is not owned by anyone, its a public resource. Currently ISP providers can only charge you rates for using there infrastructure, their servers, ect to get onto the internet. However they cannot limit you to what you can access. Now you may be thinking "I've seen websites I can't access in my country!" True, but thats because the website owners, not your ISP can choose who accesses their website.

Now thats all because of this thing called "Net Neutrality"

However, if this is removed what happens is suddenly ISP providers can charge premiums. They can give you access to only certain websites ect and you have to pay to access everything. Maybe accessing this site may cost you an extra $5 a month or something. They can also give different internet speeds to people who pay different amounts of money. So maybe they will release a pack called 'fast Facebook' or whatever, get the drift? This is what happens if the internet suddenly becomes a 'commodity', something that can be bought or sold.

Naturally this is pretty stink. This is why Net Neutrality is so important. Because otherwise we slip even further than we already have into the clutches of big multi-national businesses.

Hope this clears things up. Theres a saying "if you can't explain things simply then you don't know your subject well enough." I've got a postgrad in international studies and a bachelor in computing so I'd hope I understand this at least.
Edited by Jobalisk on Jul 16, 2017 at 03:59 AM

Dont Cuss

Posted: Jul 16, 2017 01:29 PM    Msg. 14 of 36       
Common guys, have a bit of understanding. His logic on the surface is sound. "If a company puts a lot of money into something it should be able to use it how it wants."

However...

Duce,

This is more then just a the little guy versus the big guy conflict. Imagine if Walmart built most of the roads in America. It would be reasonable to allow them to charge a toll on those roads because of the significant investment cost in building the roads. But what if they where allowed to charge trucks that went to Target 6 times as much to drive on the roads in an attempt to drive Target out of business. Or to take it one step further what if they made it so all people with blue eyes had to pay 5 time as much toll when using the roads. Without a rule that allows everyone equal access to the roads this could happen.

The problem is not that we should pay these big companies for providing the infrastructure for the internet. The problem would be allowing them to put arbitrary restriction on specific groups of people or entities.

The truth is not just small companies would suffer. Comcast has their own video streaming service. It is just worse then Netflix in every way. Without neutrality Comcast could throttle Netflix's connection and force you to use their inferior video service.

I understand where you are coming from. I hope that clarifies things more then people calling you a "Retard" just because you do not blindly jump on the band wagon.
Edited by Dont Cuss on Jul 16, 2017 at 01:32 PM
Edited by Dont Cuss on Jul 16, 2017 at 01:32 PM

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Jul 16, 2017 03:49 PM    Msg. 15 of 36       
The issue with people on the internet these days is they are too quick to put the 'retard' label on people who don't understand things, I mean really you guys, not everyone on this forum is an IT expert. If you don't explain things properly in simple words then people are going to get things wrong.

XxPopeAK49xX

It's better being a jerk.

Posted: Jul 16, 2017 09:15 PM    Msg. 16 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk
The issue with people on the internet these days is they are too quick to put the 'retard' label on people who don't understand things, I mean really you guys, not everyone on this forum is an IT expert. If you don't explain things properly in simple words then people are going to get things wrong.

You know you shouldn't be posting on forums in general if you can't handle stupid people, let alone the stupid things they say. Not everything is strawberries and cupcakes hun. Laugh off "hurtful" words for a change a move on.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 16, 2017 09:55 PM    Msg. 17 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk

Being the case, trying to dismiss a serious issue as ramblings of the insane just because you are unlearned about said subject is grounds for getting called out. Duce is well known for making incredibly stupid remarks because its pretty evident that he lacks any actual sense of understanding or care. When you understand that some people (like him) are just absolutely stupid, then calling them out is not only warranted, but expected.

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Jul 16, 2017 10:17 PM    Msg. 18 of 36       
Is there a longform version of their proposed act I could read somewhere?

Or is all of this just more irrational (edit:) panic:: like the last few times.

Ergo: Where does it explicitly say that this will have any effect on 'normal's.

Edited by OrangeJuice on Jul 19, 2017 at 10:07 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 16, 2017 10:56 PM    Msg. 19 of 36       
Google will probably yield you the results you seek

sparky

sparky#0096

Posted: Jul 17, 2017 09:50 AM    Msg. 20 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
[...] then another extra for amazon and Yahoo. Companies like Verizon, who owns AOL & Huffington Post could slow competing news organizations sites in favor of their own. [...]

Verizon owns AOL? I thought they were ambitious by now owning Yahoo, but darn that it is the case that I have been using AOL mail all this time and did not even know that Verizon owned it. Time to move to Gmail maybe, or get on that e-mail server I set aside plans for starting.
Edited by sparky on Jul 17, 2017 at 09:58 AM

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 01:17 PM    Msg. 21 of 36       

I'll tack on to what others have said and say that of course the end of neutrality affects more than just Netflix (which is apparently a "luxury good" haha). Ending net neutrality means passing extra fees on to individuals just to access pieces of the internet - and in an increasingly digitally-reliant world, where we constantly use the internet to communicate (like right now), this extra cost creates an unfair barrier to entry for many people, which they are often not able to overcome. Ending net neutrality means poorer people will be priced out of a free and open internet, able to access only select parts or view certain things. The internet is more than just a privately maintained road (to re-use the analogy of the previous user), it's a library that we're all entitled to use for our own betterment.

Wanna get in touch with your Dr. online? too bad, just suffer in silence, it's your fault for being poor. Need to access a research website for a public school report? too bad. Looks like you're gonna fail the assignment cause you can't afford to look at the webpage. Wanna keep up to date on whether politicians are backing laws that are going to target your human rights? too bad can't afford to pay for twitter. Need to watch something in another language? with subtitles because you're Deaf? extra charges. Wanna put out job applications on LinkedIn? Let's see that credit card first! It's only fair right? It's only fair that we stop treating people fairly in the interest of treating corporations fairly right? :)

the internet is a human right, there's nothing else to say. i don't give a single solitary sht about corp's rights, they're ALL (YES ALL) vile and never did anything good for humanity to begin with lol. they don't exist, they're made-up clubs for rich people to get away with sucking up wealth from the working class to bolster the lifestyle of ruling elites who never did an honest day's work in their life but still believe they're self-made millionaires because their financial advisor invested their inherited millions in the right fund at the right time. corps should lose more of their rights. they've done everything to deserve losing them.

also i cant believe il duce primo watches fox news lol, how embarrassing

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 01:22 PM    Msg. 22 of 36       
not biting

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 01:46 PM    Msg. 23 of 36       
No, you're baiting. If you're not convinced at this point then it's probably because you're trying to get people mad at you for your perceived ignorance/skepticism/lack of understanding. Don't be a child.

Dennis

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 10:01 PM    Msg. 24 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: UnevenElefant5
Ending net neutrality means poorer people will be priced out of a free and open internet, [...]
To be more exact: Ending net neutrality means ending an open internet. {period}

For those who still don't get it, without net neutrality it would be like every town, state or private company putting up toll booths on all the roads and charging extra to anyone who passes and more for those who want to drive faster.
Edited by Dennis on Jul 19, 2017 at 10:02 PM

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 01:10 AM    Msg. 25 of 36       
Net Neutrality day is cool but when is make money from other peoples intellectual properties day? I have halo tools I need to sell.

MatthewDratt

CE3 - Takedown - HaloCE3.com

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 02:03 AM    Msg. 26 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG
Net Neutrality day is cool but when is make money from other peoples intellectual properties day? I have halo tools I need to sell.

Next Tuesday. Sparky will lead it
Edited by MatthewDratt on Jul 20, 2017 at 02:04 AM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 04:33 PM    Msg. 27 of 36       
You know you picked the right forum to hook with when community memes are this savage'n'spicy.

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 08:55 PM    Msg. 28 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
You know you picked the right forum to hook with when community memes are this savage'n'spicy.

When you come onto the forum and have to work out if its a debate or curry resteraunt.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 10:32 PM    Msg. 29 of 36       
Net neutrality day was created to defend against fcc from taking back more recent legislation regarding classification of the internet. Thing is the fcc isnt getting rid of net neutrality, but dont worry about that because the people who created it dont want you knowing this. instead they want you to believe that there wont be net neutrality. (fact is thats wrong)

Dennis

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 10:46 PM    Msg. 30 of 36       
Net neutrality day was created to defend against fcc from taking back more recent legislation regarding classification of the internet. Thing is the fcc isnt getting rid of net neutrality, but dont worry about that because the people who created it dont want you knowing this. instead they want you to believe that there wont be net neutrality. (fact is thats wrong)
You are an idiot. the FCC's plans to reclassify the Internet as an information service provider instead of as a public utility as per the Obama administration will no longer allow the enforcement of the principals of net neutrality and make them completely voluntary.

Pai's argument is that "The more heavily you regulate something, the less of it you’re likely to get." is manifestly and proven untrue when it come to monopolies.

Reclassifying the internet removes the legal remedies for when companies like Comcast and Verizon purposely interfere with data packets they don't like. Which they did and were sued for and lost that precipitated the legal battle and net neutrality fight.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 09:26 AM    Msg. 31 of 36       
Guys we should let up on Duce, its not really cool to mock a child for their mental disabilities. You cant help something your born with and it's morally wrong to prey upon the weak for their deficiencies.

Dennis you should lock the thread. All meaningful discussion has been had, the thread has served its intended purpose and from here would just be continuous posts about a handicapped child trying to understand a world that doesnt love or want him.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 10:56 AM    Msg. 32 of 36       
Ey! Dee Sall ee!

White knight when?

The Master

~En Lepanto la victoria y la muerte en Trafalgar~

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 03:57 PM    Msg. 33 of 36       
Holy canoli Dennis called someone an idiot! What a time to be alive!

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 06:39 PM    Msg. 34 of 36       
Not a big surprise, considering he's used the official Halomaps twitter to make embarrassing, politically-charged comments before in the past.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 07:56 PM    Msg. 35 of 36       
i'm pretty sure not even dennis is immune to Duce's stupidity though

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon December 11, 2017 10:28 AM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website