A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »I want to create a replica of this elite that I found online

Author Topic: I want to create a replica of this elite that I found online (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

hugh

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 04:48 AM    Msg. 1 of 10       
Hi guys so I am basically trying to recreate this cool looking halo ce elite. It looks like a spec ops elite with some textures taken directly from the commander elite.

So far I already have an actor_varient of a spec ops elite with an energy sword so all I'm trying to do now is edit these golden textures onto the elite and then saving it and then putting it into a campaign I'm making on Sapien.

I was wondering if someone who is really experienced in this area of editing could show me how to make this elite.

P.S I'm a total novice at Photoshop, 3ds max and Guerilla, so to whoever responds to my query, could you be a total legend and provide me with a good long step by step guide, from start to finish, on how to create this elite.

https://www.halopedia.org/images/9/98/Imperial_admiral2.jpg
https://www.halopedia.org/File:Imperial_Admiral.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYD4VuNAAoM (at 0:05)

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 09:19 AM    Msg. 2 of 10       
Skinning Tutorial by Pepsi

In depth tutorial by an old total legend. Exactly what you asked for.

Modding is about the journey, not the destination. Google tutorials and learn, this community is to close to dead for anyone to do anything for you. But if youre a novice with photoshop, this elite wont be easy. Youre gonna be editing alpha maps of bitmap textures.

hugh

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 09:54 AM    Msg. 3 of 10       
Ah, cheers mate. This is awesome. I don't have any pictures on the site with the tutorial instructions though. Is it just my computer or are the image links broken?

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 10:16 AM    Msg. 4 of 10       
Links are broken, and it's for halo PC not custom edition. However it explains everything to do with the bitmaps and editing them in detail, including the technical bits like image compression and alpha layers. Also explains ground maps and how they work. Very informative, but you'll need other bits which you should use Google for; like how to compile textures with tool, and how to set up shaders in reference to the bitmaps with guerilla.

If you are willing to learn there's a lot that can be done. But its not easy. Some of my favorite moments in modding have been failing for days and then finally figuring it out.

To create this elite, you will need to

Extract the bitmaps (use texource by Moses of Egypt)

Understand what youre looking at, imagine you painted a paper crane and then unfolded it. Thats what a bitmap is. A 3D structure that was unfolded flat.

Make the changes to appropriate parts. It appears you will edit the diffuse directly and not use a color change; the main armor black with the tips changed gold.

Compile bitmaps with tool

make copies of the elite biped, model and shaders. Rereference biped to use copied model, rereference model to use copied shaders, rereference shaders to use your modified bitmap.

Open biped tag with guerilla and delete all color change reflexives.

Open your AI tag and reference that biped.

Place AI with sapien and setup its firing positions and spawns points. Edit data for how many and if respawn.

If AI isnt respawn enabled, devise the script that will determine its spawning. Or just make it respawn enabled if its not a campaign map. If youre adding to a canpaign, you can most likely add it to an existing squad without needing to do more work.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 08:43 PM    Msg. 5 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Actually, he should use my Halo Bitmap Optimizer and Converter(HBOC) as Texource extracts uncompressed source images, and there aren't any for the elites. HBOC can extract the compressed textures to dds and tga.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 09:35 PM    Msg. 6 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Actually, he should use my Halo Bitmap Optimizer and Converter(HBOC) as Texource extracts uncompressed source images, and there aren't any for the elites. HBOC can extract the compressed textures to dds and tga.

Why is this 2 separate programs? It should all be rolled into mozarella, very cumbersome and creates a bloated program list with a handful of apps instead of one solid program.

sparky

Posted: Jul 17, 2017 10:44 AM    Msg. 7 of 10       
I agree, combine the source code into a single program. Even simple functionality would make it more worthwhile than a tool belt.

hugh, keep in touch about your project development!
Edited by sparky on Jul 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jul 17, 2017 07:00 PM    Msg. 8 of 10       
Because there are different schools of thought for how to design programs, and I'm partial to the "One tool for one job" approach. I don't like the idea of bloating a program with a lot of things that you wont necessarily need at any one time. Even if it didn't cost a significant amount of resources to add it in, it would cost gui space, and I'd rather not add more buttons and menus than necessary. A way to possibly get around that would to better organize my programs functions into categorized dropdown menus, but that just means more things you have to go through to get to what you want. I could potentially implement texource into hboc, but I'd have to reorganize hboc's gui to add it in, and hboc's code is a mess that I don't want to deal with from before I had developed good coding practices.

This is more or less what I'm talking about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy#Origin

You say I've got a bloated program list, but I'd rather have that than a bloated program.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 17, 2017 at 07:09 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 01:06 AM    Msg. 9 of 10       
You could at least combine the programs that extract textures.

Should each tag class get its own version of mozarella?

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 01:58 AM    Msg. 10 of 10       
I will re-iterate:
"I could potentially implement texource into hboc, but I'd have to reorganize hboc's gui to add it in, and hboc's code is a mess that I don't want to deal with from before I had developed good coding practices."

Go take a look at hboc's code. It's not something i want to mess with anymore. I've tweaked it a bit here and there in the past, but I'm not gonna add another button to its already cluttered interface, edit the functions that process the settings, etc, etc. It's not worth my time. And as far as your quip about mozz, I was just talking with a friend about that.

Quote:
MosesofEgypt - Yesterday at 7:12 PM
my tools aren't so coheasive
now, i could understand if i had like, an editor for one type of tag
and an editor for another
instead of mozzarilla

Gabo7 - Yesterday at 7:12 PM
those two are about halo bitmaps though

MosesofEgypt - Yesterday at 7:12 PM
they're wanting me to roll all my tools into mozz

Gabo7 - Yesterday at 7:13 PM
oh
that's a no-no

Mozz is essentially a tool for editing and creating tags. It has some bitmap specific tools built into it for sure, but their function is still creating tags. There was a point that I was considering combining my converters into mozz and making a new "Conversions" menu, but I decided against it. It would have included functions where you could do things like turn tags to/from open sauce, models to/from gbxmodels, etc. I decided not to though as I didn't have the time to make a whole slew of converters and come up with a nice framework for it.

There's a thing called separation of concerns, and this applies here as well. At a certain point, you have to decide what belongs somewhere and what doesnt. If you don't, you get what Donut mentioned here:
Quote: The alternative is what you get with the old unreal editor, where you need to load the whole rendering engine just to access the script editor.

Or here where it talks about how bloated Destiny's editor was.
Quote:
Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches. They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.

http://gearnuke.com/destinys-game-engine-complete-mess-took-hours-just-half-second-change/

This is obviously an extreme example no where near the level my toolset is at, but the point remains.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 18, 2017 at 02:10 AM

Previous Older Thread   

Time: Fri July 21, 2017 12:33 PM 204 ms.
A Halo Maps Website