A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Question about sound_looping tags

Author Topic: Question about sound_looping tags (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 02:42 AM    Msg. 1 of 4       
Does anyone here know exactly how the tag works? Like, in detail. I'm writing a new little toy that operates on them, and I'll need to know things like how it decides when to use the alternate loop and end, what the detail sound periods are, what the flags do, etc. Any really technical information on the sound_looping and sound tags is appreciated. I'm making something you guys might like to play with.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Aug 1, 2017 at 02:42 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 10:48 AM    Msg. 2 of 4       
Its kind of like a sound tag, except it loops.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Aug 3, 2017 06:17 PM    Msg. 3 of 4       
Seriously, I'm needing info on exactly how a sound_looping tag controls sound playback. I'm writing an app that will allow people to play sound_looping tags in the way Halo would. Who doesn't want to be able to listen to an endless loop of anything in the Halo sound track? I should even be able to get it working as a mobile app thanks to the JUCE framework I'm using.

I can currently load both sound and sound_looping tags, decode the xbox adpcm audio to something the computer can play(16bit signed PCM), and load all the sound dependencies of a sound_looping tag. I'm about half done with the program. Here is my tentative todo list:

figure out/implement the logistics of getting the audio permutation chunks in order
currently working on this
figure out exactly how the sound_looping tag is supposed to be used for playing music
help me with this?
figure out how to get the JUCE framework to play pcm and ogg audio
figure out anything specific to audio i need to know for playing uninterrupted music
design gui

JUCE can already handle playing ogg audio, so I don't need to worry about decoding that. The working name for the program is Composer, but I don't really like it so I'll be changing it when I think of something better.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Aug 3, 2017 at 06:19 PM

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Aug 3, 2017 06:28 PM    Msg. 4 of 4       
Sound looping will play a sound starting with the In and it'll loop over and over once it gets to the looping sound. There's a script to run the alternative loop. So say a battle gets more epic in the game, like the structure hold out in flawless cowboy, they run sound_looping_set_alt to run an alternative loop. The alt loop will take place of the old loop until told otherwise by script.

You can use sound_looping_stop, this will make the loop play the 'out' sound or fade out if the flag is ticked then the music will be stopped.

The detail sounds are for like background environmental sound, you can throw in some little sounds like birds chirping and they will play at random intervals depending on the time value you set.
Edited by Ki11erFTW on Aug 3, 2017 at 06:29 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon December 11, 2017 10:28 AM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website