A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Tool or 3DS keeps breaking my map!!

Author Topic: Tool or 3DS keeps breaking my map!! (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 12:01 PM    Msg. 1 of 8       
Guys seriously when I try to convert my complete JMS into a BSP tool gives me a bunch of red errors. When I open my OBJ in 3DS and import the WRL dozens of random crap keeps appearing around my BSP that wasn't originally there and ALWAYS appears when I either create the JMS or compile in tool. What the hell is going on?

All I'm doing is combining some extra rooms in A10 but it seems once I export as JMS something breaks...

I know 3DS or Tool is doing it because I tested stock BSPs and they can never compile so something is going wrong in these final stages. I import the WRL and the same errors keep appearing so the JMS exorter might be creating these red error triangles or whatever they are.

DeadHamster

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 01:43 PM    Msg. 2 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo Noob Modder117
Guys seriously when I try to convert my complete JMS into a BSP tool gives me a bunch of red errors. When I open my OBJ in 3DS and import the WRL dozens of random crap keeps appearing around my BSP that wasn't originally there and ALWAYS appears when I either create the JMS or compile in tool. What the hell is going on?

All I'm doing is combining some extra rooms in A10 but it seems once I export as JMS something breaks...

I know 3DS or Tool is doing it because I tested stock BSPs and they can never compile so something is going wrong in these final stages. I import the WRL and the same errors keep appearing so the JMS exorter might be creating these red error triangles or whatever they are.

The Red/Green/Orange/Pink triangles are representations of error in YOUR geometry. They are generated by TOOL when it comes across errors.

You have open edges, multiple edges, overlapping edges, or something similar. Your geometry is broken, those colored triangles show you WHERE it's broken. You still have to identify and fix the underlying problem.

MatthewDratt

Our President Brags About Sexual Assault

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 02:16 PM    Msg. 3 of 8       
Make sure to convert your model to an editable mesh if you're using a new version of max (above 8)

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 06:33 PM    Msg. 4 of 8       
Hmmm... That's really odd Hamster. I wasn't going to ask but I brought this up because I exported a stock bsp and repeated the process and it too produced hundreds of red errors hence my assumption that I'm doing something wrong (or the programs are) during the export process.

Is there anyway for me to see these broken segments in 3DS? I did the WRL method and even though it makes these broken red 'anomalies' appear around my model, they actually aren't there prior like literally just appear right there BENEATH my model like there is some phantom model underneath my model only AFTER I import the WRL.

Yep Matt, I always have it set to that. Damn guys I have no luck with custom junk eh? I'm fine with stock things but jeez I seem to come here with problems every time I try and go that next level.

I'm busy today and will try and fix this issue later, hopefully.

EDIT: I understand the whole triangle thing as Fallout Nav Meshing uses the EXACT same concept, my only problem with Halo is I cannot see any triangles yet alone colour coded ones. Unless there is a way?
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Aug 15, 2017 at 06:35 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 09:00 PM    Msg. 5 of 8       
The WRL imports over your existing geometry. The .WRL file has the color coded triangles, import it with ALL checkboxes unselected. Once it's in, if there's a red/orange whatever color triangle, it represents a triangle on YOUR model that it should line up with 100%.

If you just import/export a stock BSP it'll crash because there are no sky-faces imported alongside it. Your model must be fully sealed by using the material +Sky. Almost no BSP importers will not include this geometry.

If the triangles in the WRL are not matching up to your model, be sure you're compiling/saving the same version and that you don't have two files or any issues with UAC on Windows. (Run as Admin)

So, when you import the WRL, and it places a red triangle overtop of your mesh, there is a triangle that makes up your mesh that has the error.

If your model is sloppy it'll be full of errors. Only some are Tool-breaking, many can be "ignored" which will lead to minor UVW/Collision errors that may not even be noticeable.

IF you haven't figured it out still, your next post here needs screenshots of your model with the WRL file already imported, so that we can see what we're dealing with.

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 01:26 AM    Msg. 6 of 8       
Oh my... I re-imported the WRL without any boxes ticked and now all the redness is splattered in some parts of the BSP... Mainly in doorways, window panes, grate sections.

So basically what I did was extract a10 bsp1 and d40 bsp3 and I simply copy and pasted the rooms together.

I think I see the problem now, somehow some pieces of the mesh has layered itself over itself. E.g. I deleted a chunk of wall and it resulted in a hole whereas I deleted a 'red wall' and it had a duplicate of itself inside it.

I'll take some screenshots and experiment some more later tonight. Thanks for the advice so far.

Also just re-examining that picture and looking back at Tool, I'm producing the 'update edge' errors according to Tool.

EDIT: AWESOME NEWS! I wont get my hopes high though because its usually 1 problem after another with me BUT I REDUCED HALF THE REDNESS! When you edit a10/d40 bsps there are grey areas around where the doors sit. I deleted them and now I just have a few red parts left around some windows and grates!! Yes! Finally progress!!!

NEW SAD UPDATE: So I figured it out... alpha_test, cryo_glass and steel (with the exception of portals and fog) break the bsp. Damn I guess my plans are a bust.

All I wanted to do was combine some extra rooms... :(
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Aug 16, 2017 at 05:14 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 12:46 PM    Msg. 7 of 8       
Some materials were originally set up to be RENDER-ONLY, which means they are not included for collision. Sometimes a piece of glass may be setup to have render only geometry behind it. Sometimes a material is marked Double-Sided, which will render geometry on both sides. There are special characters (!,$,#,%) that denote these. Check the HEK tutorial included in your CE folder to see more information about these.

The materials should not have errors. It's the geometry itself, or the materials need to be setup as mentioned above.

Don't give up!

If I can connect this;

You can connect what you're trying to!

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 06:32 PM    Msg. 8 of 8       
Thanks for keeping me motivated. I guess ill get back to it then!

UPDATE: OH MY GOD I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS SCREEN BEFORE!!! Tool says:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>tool structure levels\texture box
Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
building intermediate geometry...
building collision geometry...
reducing collision geometry...
building collision bsp...
reducing collision bsp...
verifying collision geometry...
verifying collision bsp...
building portals...
building render geometry...
building subclusters...
building pvs... building pvs... building structure lens flares...done

structure bsp "levels\texture\box"
BSP has 6 nodes, 1 leaves
166 surfaces and 129 vertices in 1 material groups
0 portals, 1 clusters

8Kb collision data (1Kb vertices, 4Kb edges, 1Kb surfaces)
8Kb render data (5Kb vertices, 2Kb surfaces,
0Kb nodes/leaves, 0Kb clusters)
0Kb pathfinding data
----------------------
19Kb (without debug information)

I got a working BSP in my tags!!! FINALLY!!!
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Sep 15, 2017 at 01:17 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue September 26, 2017 5:25 AM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website