A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »In case y'all didn't notice, animations are no longer locked to 30fps

Page 2 of 2 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · Prev
Author Topic: In case y'all didn't notice, animations are no longer locked to 30fps (66 messages, Page 2 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Sep 3, 2017 04:11 PM    Msg. 36 of 66       
Average human eyesight sees at something closer to 200, though with rigorous training (usually for airforce pilots and the like), you can go roughly up to ~450

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 06:58 AM    Msg. 37 of 66       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
A. Simulation sickness (motion sickness) caused by intense movement or the brains precieved notion of intense movement, combined with low framerates can cause terrible migraines or worse in many people. And even when I have camera control thats at 60+fps when other aspects of the game is still only updated at 30 it can still trigger feelings of nausea. This "Visual Gimmick" is actually an incredibly helpful tool that alleviates almost all these issues. (Take it from someone who gets pretty nauseous when having to play a game thats ~30fps up close on the monitor).

B. There is nothing "clashing" about the Art-side visuals of Halo 1 with having high framerate... Have you played the original Doom? Or Quake or any old PC FPS's that ran at high framerates? Its honestly a baffling point to even be made that a games performance Can clash with a games art.
UMm you get motion sickness from 30fps?.
You may need to see a doc, not to be mean or sound bad but.
You may need more sleep .

Cut lots of words I was going too say

Dono if it's the same with you but I don't get motion sickness with 30fps.
odd no?

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 02:01 PM    Msg. 38 of 66       
Quote: --- Original message by: DOOM899

odd no?

Simulation Sickness is not something I made up, it is a very real thing that happens to people who are susceptible. Educate yourself .

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 02:18 PM    Msg. 39 of 66       
Heh.

Non-SS masterrace

Jam

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 06:04 AM    Msg. 40 of 66       
A. Simulation sickness (motion sickness) caused by intense movement or the brains precieved notion of intense movement, combined with low framerates can cause terrible migraines or worse in many people. And even when I have camera control thats at 60+fps when other aspects of the game is still only updated at 30 it can still trigger feelings of nausea. This "Visual Gimmick" is actually an incredibly helpful tool that alleviates almost all these issues. (Take it from someone who gets pretty nauseous when having to play a game thats ~30fps up close on the monitor).

idk if this was made for people who get motion sick but if you actually need it for a legitimate reason thats fine

otherwise I think that its pretty pointless and out of all of the "problems" to fix in halo people care about a (almost) useless gimmick. nobody games with smoothing on with tvs so why should CE be different?

B. There is nothing "clashing" about the Art-side visuals of Halo 1 with having high framerate... Have you played the original Doom? Or Quake or any old PC FPS's that ran at high framerates? Its honestly a baffling point to even be made that a games performance can clash with a games art.

if I did obsess over fps (most gamers dont care about it) Halo is still 30tps no matter what interpolation does and the frames you see are basically fake. halo was meant to be 30fps. people need to get over it and fix actual problems that actually affect gameplay like lag and hit reg.

S12Spark

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 01:25 PM    Msg. 41 of 66       
Yeah, I'd say this is a massive improvement actually, makes the game much more enjoyable to play when you are playing other games at 144hz and go to 30, it is really jarring, this is absolutely amazing. Thanks 002.

Question though, you say it it allow for 60fps animations, but I am running at 120hz, and it really does seem like it is running higher than 60fps in the first person animations, am I just imagining things or is it able to increase the first person animations to 120hz?
Edited by S12Spark on Sep 7, 2017 at 01:26 PM

FtDSpartn

Thank you.

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 04:02 PM    Msg. 42 of 66       
Quote: --- Original message by: S12Spark

Yeah, I'd say this is a massive improvement actually, makes the game much more enjoyable to play when you are playing other games at 144hz and go to 30, it is really jarring, this is absolutely amazing. Thanks 002.

Question though, you say it it allow for 60fps animations, but I am running at 120hz, and it really does seem like it is running higher than 60fps in the first person animations, am I just imagining things or is it able to increase the first person animations to 120hz?

It interpolates to whatever framerate you're at, I believe. So if I'm running at 144 FPS on 144hz, the animations will be 144 FPS.

OrangeJuice

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 04:49 PM    Msg. 43 of 66       
It "creates," for lack of a better word, new inbetween frames at the cost of CPU usage.

Which shouldn't matter much( cpu usage ) for an old game like this

It doesn't use scanlines(oldschool CRT TV interpolation) the way that its creator seems to explain. So it isn't blending//blurring two finished images together. It's rendering new ones entirely.

Looks like bad hypersmoothed "flash-tweens" considering halo uses 25//30fps animation
Edited by OrangeJuice on Sep 7, 2017 at 05:16 PM

S12Spark

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 07:12 PM    Msg. 44 of 66       
Quote: --- Original message by: FtDSpartn
It interpolates to whatever framerate you're at, I believe. So if I'm running at 144 FPS on 144hz, the animations will be 144 FPS.

Ah, that's good to hear, thanks for the info! I am really glad this has come out. Now if only reach was updated to 60 fps 1080p.

Jam

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 10:43 PM    Msg. 45 of 66       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

It "creates," for lack of a better word, new inbetween frames at the cost of CPU usage.

basically its fake frames and doesn't actually fix anything.

what about hit reg and mouse accel? also what about perf issues that some maps have? extra cpu usage = worse performance = pointless. people need to move on already lol

FtDSpartn

Thank you.

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 11:16 PM    Msg. 46 of 66       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jam

what about hit reg and mouse accel? also what about perf issues that some maps have? extra cpu usage = worse performance = pointless. people need to move on already lol

However it works, the game looks smoother with it and that makes it more fun for me personally so I could care less if I lose a few frames. Not pointless at all.

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 11:33 PM    Msg. 47 of 66       
Quote: --- Original message by: DOOM899

odd no?

Simulation Sickness is not something I made up, it is a very real thing that happens to people who are susceptible. Educate yourself .
Did I say it was made up? nope all I said is you may need to see A doc, if your getting motion sickness form something like 30fps.

Also I agree with Jam point if you don't need don't use it, I mean I run halo at 75hzs
An it looks fine to me, but gamers go overboard with this 60 fps thing at lest that what I seen over the years.

anyways use or don't that's up ta you
Edited by DOOM899 on Sep 7, 2017 at 11:34 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 11:44 PM    Msg. 48 of 66       

you say this as if there havent been attempts. HAC does a lot of fixes for mouse accel and SAPP has nolead for your needs otherwise. Performance issues are on the map creator and not on the game (generally everyone knows by know of the engine hardlimits).

I think you need to move on from the idea that this isnt helping. If you dont like it, by all means stay at your console standards. We care for quality

Jam

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 12:05 PM    Msg. 49 of 66       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
you say this as if there havent been attempts. HAC does a lot of fixes for mouse accel and SAPP has nolead for your needs otherwise. Performance issues are on the map creator and not on the game (generally everyone knows by know of the engine hardlimits).

if HAC fixes mouse acceleration then why do ppl still complain about it? also even with nolead sapp still can have crap hit reg.

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
I think you need to move on from the idea that this isnt helping. If you dont like it, by all means stay at your console standards. We care for quality

I'm not saying this because I dont like it I'm saying that its blown way out of proportion. all it does is just making it seem a little smoother it doesnt improve gameplay when other things can be focused on. if you cared about quality you'd care that interpolation isn't showing you real movement as your behind 33ms
Edited by Jam on Sep 8, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Nertez

Zetren b&

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 01:28 PM    Msg. 50 of 66       
Hac2 doesn't do anything for mouse acceleration, #fakenews

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 02:04 PM    Msg. 51 of 66       
if HAC fixes mouse acceleration then why do ppl still complain about it? also even with nolead sapp still can have crap hit reg.

I'm not saying this because I dont like it I'm saying that its blown way out of proportion. all it does is just making it seem a little smoother it doesnt improve gameplay when other things can be focused on. if you cared about quality you'd care that interpolation isn't showing you real movement as your behind 33ms
Edited by Jam on Sep 8, 2017 at 12:08 PM

It already improves gameplay by minimizing the stuttering that occurs from choppy frames, and thus inherently giving you better aim as you can see the movement a lot better.

Netcode isnt something any of us can fix, as it would involve actually digging into the source code and modifying it. Not only is that a direct violation of the Game Content Usage Rules (though nobody really cares about those with regard to CE as it seems), but you'd need to find somebody to actually rip the code and change it.

not giraffe

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 02:14 PM    Msg. 52 of 66       
it seems like objects only appear to be moving smoothly but physically they only move 30 times a second

Incorrect. Animations are not all it is interpolating. It also updates object position based off of velocity.

Jam

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 03:51 PM    Msg. 53 of 66       
Quote: --- Original message by: not giraffe
Incorrect. Animations are not all it is interpolating. It also updates object position based off of velocity.

https://i.imgur.com/RFhGRMU.png

Does it matter? the objects are only actually updated 30 times a second and they only look like their moving smoothly. pretty useless imo

not giraffe

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 03:58 PM    Msg. 54 of 66       

the objects are only actually updated 30 times a second

Incorrect again. Modifications to the object table are without delay.

Jam

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 03:59 PM    Msg. 55 of 66       

but the physics itself is done 30 times a second still

not giraffe

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 04:03 PM    Msg. 56 of 66       

Also incorrect. Object physics are based off of velocity.

Jam

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 04:15 PM    Msg. 57 of 66       

velocity which only changes 30 times a second

not giraffe

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 04:17 PM    Msg. 58 of 66       

No. Read my first message. Velocity is interpolated.

Jam

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 04:22 PM    Msg. 59 of 66       

its "reprojected" as orangejuice said lol

not giraffe

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 04:28 PM    Msg. 60 of 66       

its "reprojected" as orangejuice said lol

I think you are grasping at straws. I almost pity you, but not quite. Keep going.

Jam

Posted: Sep 9, 2017 03:29 PM    Msg. 61 of 66       
I think you are grasping at straws. I almost pity you, but not quite. Keep going.

or maybe you just dont get whats obvious?

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Sep 9, 2017 03:37 PM    Msg. 62 of 66       

or maybe you just dont get whats obvious?

The irony is palpable

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Sep 9, 2017 08:46 PM    Msg. 63 of 66       
A nice cold glass of irony with extra palp pls

OrangeJuice

Posted: Sep 9, 2017 10:45 PM    Msg. 64 of 66       
Can I feel your

:D

In any case, can this topic at least be merged with the original chimera topic that's only a couple of topics down? It really shouldn't have been made in the first place
Edited by OrangeJuice on Sep 9, 2017 at 10:45 PM

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 05:23 AM    Msg. 65 of 66       
stop taking the trollbait.

Jam

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 11:06 AM    Msg. 66 of 66       

Can I feel your http://oi63.tinypic.com/jscadz.jpg

:D

oops lol

Page 2 of 2 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat November 18, 2017 5:00 AM 484 ms.
A Halo Maps Website