A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »### ERROR couldn't update edge #50785 (red).

Author Topic: ### ERROR couldn't update edge #50785 (red). (13 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

TheButterApple24

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 04:03 PM    Msg. 1 of 13       
Hello, I am trying to edit a10s bsp and whenever I go to export the map it gives me this error. ### ERROR couldn't update edge #50785 (red). Any idea on how to fix it?
Edited by TheButterApple24 on Aug 28, 2017 at 04:03 PM

Kinnet

Don't feed the hand that bites you.

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 05:28 PM    Msg. 2 of 13       
Make sure you convert it to a editable mesh before exporting.

TheButterApple24

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 06:10 PM    Msg. 3 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet

I did

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 06:30 PM    Msg. 4 of 13       
I don't know how to exactly explain it, but this thing does the job.

If it is all the glass or grates add a % to the end of the material names of those materials to signal it is double sided so updated edges are allowed.
Warning though, if you imported the bsp into max then you'll likely also want to delete one of the sides of each surface that is doublesided so you don't get overlapped surfaces.
Those also don't come trough tool.

Edited by SBB_Michelle on Aug 28, 2017 at 06:31 PM

Alex

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 08:42 AM    Msg. 5 of 13       

I would recommend you check out the HEK Tutorial which is located in your Halo directory in the folder named HEK_Tutorial for more solutions on errors you might encounter.
Edited by Alex on Aug 29, 2017 at 08:43 AM
Edited by Alex on Aug 29, 2017 at 08:45 AM

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 10:44 AM    Msg. 6 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle

http://i.imgur.com/rdoKsDn.jpg

If it is all the glass or grates add a % to the end of the material names of those materials to signal it is double sided so updated edges are allowed.
Warning though, if you imported the bsp into max then you'll likely also want to delete one of the sides of each surface that is doublesided so you don't get overlapped surfaces.

I had this exact same issue a few weeks back Apple. That simple 'add %' thing and removing double-sided faces solved my issue! Hope it solves your issue too!

And I'm also altering a10 dude!!!!
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Aug 29, 2017 at 10:45 AM

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 01:40 PM    Msg. 7 of 13       

ive always done it in either poly or mesh and never had a problem, no clue why people do just mesh

DeadHamster

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 07:47 PM    Msg. 8 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: rcghalohell

ive always done it in either poly or mesh and never had a problem, no clue why people do just mesh

Depends entirely on the exporter you choose to use. Some can support poly, some cannot. Some can support Stack Modifiers, some cannot. To be safe, always better to collapse all stacks to an editable mesh when possible.

TheButterApple24

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 09:44 PM    Msg. 9 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo Noob Modder117

I had this exact same issue a few weeks back Apple. That simple 'add %' thing and removing double-sided faces solved my issue! Hope it solves your issue too!

How do I know which side to delete? Or is there an easier way of showing?

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 12:45 AM    Msg. 10 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: TheButterApple24

I'm just a rookie at this so maybe one of these experienced lads can help. HOWEVER, what I did was import the geometry, one by one, I imported the panels, metals etc. then I imported glass and grates and got some errors. So what I did was imported the glass first, added the % and other magical characters to show tool it is a window and double sided, then I did the same to the grates. THEN I checked for double sided surfaces for each of the different models and removed THEN I imported everything as one and hoped for the best.

The crap thing is, your tool should have made a WRL file in your Halo Custom Edition folder that can be imported into 3ds max to show some not so helpful red markers (the errors) though you needed a specific version if I remember correctly on some other forum a while ago... One of these guys will mention this eventually. I have no idea how it works and my 3ds couldn't open it because the version was different...
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Aug 30, 2017 at 12:47 AM

TheButterApple24

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 12:59 AM    Msg. 11 of 13       

I'm just a rookie at this so maybe one of these experienced lads can help. HOWEVER, what I did was import the geometry, one by one, I imported the panels, metals etc. then I imported glass and grates and got some errors. So what I did was imported the glass first, added the % and other magical characters to show tool it is a window and double sided, then I did the same to the grates. THEN I checked for double sided surfaces for each of the different models and removed THEN I imported everything as one and hoped for the best.

The crap thing is, your tool should have made a WRL file in your Halo Custom Edition folder that can be imported into 3ds max to show some not so helpful red markers (the errors) though you needed a specific version if I remember correctly on some other forum a while ago... One of these guys will mention this eventually. I have no idea how it works and my 3ds couldn't open it because the version was different...

So I have the .wrl file but I'm still afraid that I'll delete the wrong side. Also you said you imported everything as one, what do you mean by that?

EDIT: Actually, the .wrl file shows that all the errors are where the bsp ends (doors and bsp switch)

@Noob Modder117 Anywhere we can chat? Since you have experience with this specific bsp you'd probably understand most of the errors.
Edited by TheButterApple24 on Aug 30, 2017 at 01:04 AM

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 07:46 AM    Msg. 12 of 13       
You will need to seal up any holes where bsps transition or doorways where scenery covered up the holes. You'll need to recreate the sky material geometry. Also don't forget to put ! in materials that are render only such as light planes.

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 11:06 AM    Msg. 13 of 13       

So I have the .wrl file but I'm still afraid that I'll delete the wrong side. Also you said you imported everything as one, what do you mean by that?

EDIT: Actually, the .wrl file shows that all the errors are where the bsp ends (doors and bsp switch)

@Noob Modder117 Anywhere we can chat? Since you have experience with this specific bsp you'd probably understand most of the errors.
Edited by TheButterApple24 on Aug 30, 2017 at 01:04 AM

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50330

That's the link to my same issue from the other week.

All I've done was connect the d40 cryo bsp to the first a10 cryo bsp so once you come out of your cryo, instead of the locked doors leading to a void, they instead lead into the d40 cryo section. I just started this as a test thing for learning purposes. If your using stock tags then the only issue you should have is with the grates and glass giving you crap.

To answer your questions in order of appearance:
1. Make two copies of your file and delete either side of those error meshes and test both in Tool and see if you fix it, I believe this crap is just trial and error AND luck...

2. I used the BSP converter tool etc. and upon importing the OBJ into 3ds max a list of each of the geometries (panels, glass, grates etc) was in the 'confirmation to import' box, I was just screwing around importing each piece of the BSP one by one and seeing what would give me those red errors, in the end the glass and grates were the cause of the issue, you could try maybe swapping them with another material, I couldn't be bothered testing that theory myself. The damn things are double sided and you have to dissect every little part of the geometries...

3. When I imported my BSP, most of the doors had a grey wall like thing in each doorway, I think they were called portals?? Some of the doors, particularly the blast doors on the edges of the BSP that separate the map from the void don't have these and cause open ended issues.

4. In the first BSP and D40's cryo BSP the window sections come up with errors and all the black grate sections around the floor areas also cause the red errors.

Since I couldn't use the WRL files, I gave up and moved onto restoration and bug fixing. I think Masterz should shed some light on this issue. I don't understand how CMT managed to mess with BSPs when the default tagset is riddled with red triangle errors if you try to recompile it as is regardless of changes.

Sorry I got no better information on this, hopefully some experienced people who actually successfully edited the campaign can come share how they did it. I get this small thought in the back of my mind that there is some secrecy when it comes to problem solving... Cough* CMT* Looking at you guys. How did you do it. Cough*
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Aug 31, 2017 at 11:12 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue September 26, 2017 7:15 AM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website