A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Gephyrophobia and Timberland scratch based maps?

Author Topic: Gephyrophobia and Timberland scratch based maps? (18 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

maxdamage

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 07:23 PM    Msg. 1 of 18       
Could someone please extract the map files plus the other game objects in .obj format and the .bitmap files for the textures which includes the spec and normal textures including the specular textures and the normals for Gephyrophobia and Timberland and send them to me as I would like to use the .obj files as a guide so I can use the textures used to create scratch based maps in Unreal Tournament 2004 as VCTF maps.

I know about the Game Content Usage Rules - Microsoft_Xbox regarding their games,etc... I need to confirm with Microsoft with regards to something I plan to use in the maps.

If this is the wrong forum\site for my request can someone give me a link to the right one.

Thank you.
Edited by maxdamage on Aug 29, 2017 at 07:35 PM
Edited by maxdamage on Aug 29, 2017 at 08:33 PM

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 12:14 AM    Msg. 2 of 18       
...well extracting the maps BSP's as OBJ files is easy enough, there's a tool somewhere around here for doing just that. As for the textures, you can use HEK plus (also available off this site to do that.) However using them in Unreal Tournament and distributing them without expressed permission by Microsoft is illegal.

notrododo93

Project Armonia lead (and only) developer

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 01:06 PM    Msg. 3 of 18       
Just use Adjutant

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 03:04 PM    Msg. 4 of 18       
Mind explaining what a "scratch based map" even is?

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 07:20 PM    Msg. 5 of 18       

Hmm.

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 09:56 AM    Msg. 6 of 18       
this was the first thing that came to mind for me as well

maxdamage

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 05:06 PM    Msg. 7 of 18       
Forgot to mention that I don't have Halo:Combat Evolved(PC) and as a result don't have Halo Custom Edition yet as I am still trying to get a 2nd hand copy.That is why I am asking for someone to send the files to me.

@ Jobalisk
From what I understand from the Game Content Usage Rules - Microsoft_Xbox I can use game content from games like Halo 1:CE and use it in another game as long as I put the disclaimer mentioned on that page in the readme for the map and if there are any questions I can send an email to the address provided there for clarification,etc...

@R93_Sniper
Scratch made maps for example is the following eg. Instead of buying a model kit of the HMS Hood you make your own model out of whatever which is why one of the things I am asking is the map meshes in .obj format so I can use as a guide when I start adding\subtracting brushes in the unreal ed for ut2k4 with the game textures and meshes used in the map.
Edited by maxdamage on Sep 1, 2017 at 05:08 PM

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 05:52 PM    Msg. 8 of 18       
Just get the hek tags from Halo CE Maps section and use the bsp extractor v2.5

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 05:57 PM    Msg. 9 of 18       
HEK doesnt work w/o CE installed

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 06:55 PM    Msg. 10 of 18       
These do work
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2620
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1400
Look for scenario_structure_bsp tags
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2029
This above's the tool.

Just use the original maps as a reference.

maxdamage

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 01:00 PM    Msg. 11 of 18       
Thanks.Just need all of the textures for the maps as I have some of them that I got from the Halo demo ie. the normal maps for some of the textures used in the one map Gephyrophobia using texmod and other .

The multiplayer scenario pack doesn't contain all of the textures used in each map. Checking the .obj in a 3D model viewer I can see I will have some issues with creating the terrain with bsp(added brushes) but the parts of the map like the bridge and bases are fine.

Unfortunately the names of the textures saved through texmod are not named as the textures are in the game as they are named for example: HALO.EXE_0x4D991C22 and some of the textures are not saved properly as there is some white in the textures and it doesn't look right.

I used bitmap viewer to save the .bitmaps that are included in the mp scenario pack in PSP8.I did try Halo Map Tools v3 on the Halo demo to extract the textures,etc... but only could open the ui.map file.I kept getting the not a valid .map file message for the other .map files that come with the demo. :(

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 05:32 PM    Msg. 12 of 18       
your issue is using halo PC tools rather than using CE tools. Just use the batch bitmap extractor to convert the .bitmap files to BMP/PNG/TIF/TGA/JPG or whatever. Dont bother using texmod, and there's no normal maps either.

maxdamage

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 06:14 PM    Msg. 13 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
your issue is using halo PC tools rather than using CE tools. Just use the batch bitmap extractor to convert the .bitmap files to BMP/PNG/TIF/TGA/JPG or whatever. Dont bother using texmod, and there's no normal maps either.

There are normal maps they are also called bump maps.The purple textures that are used with quite a number of textures for the Halo demo are normal\bump textures even UT3 uses them for added detail without actually increasing the poly count of the mesh\model.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 07:27 PM    Msg. 14 of 18       
the purple textures in CE are called multipurpose maps, wherein each channel contains different parts of the material (specular/self-illum/detail/mask)

CE does not use Normal maps unless you're using open sauce, which the base game does not use. There ARE detail and secondary bump/height maps, but they are not normal maps

DeadHamster

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 07:22 AM    Msg. 15 of 18       
R93 you are mistaken here. Stock engine uses normal Maps but only on the BSP, and only when a dynamic light source is shining on it (flashlight for example). The dynamic light source gives the position and direction that's needed to calculate the distortion on the model.

They do not appear on any dynamic objects however, such as the warthog or assault rifle.

OpenSauce allows for normal Maps on dynamic objects, and also allows normals to always appear on the BSP by using DLMs. These are lightmaps rendered from multiple directions on each face of the BSP model, which estimates the position and directions needed for calculating the distortion.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 02:59 PM    Msg. 16 of 18       
ill fact-check that when i reinstall HEK

DeadHamster

Posted: Sep 6, 2017 11:49 AM    Msg. 17 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
ill fact-check that when i reinstall HEK

When you do inspect near the bottom of a shader environment tag. You'll find it under the diffuse and multipurpose maps but above cubemaps.

maxdamage

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 12:13 PM    Msg. 18 of 18       
Has anyone extracted the .bitmaps\textures from Halo 1:Combat Evolved\Halo Custom Edition and uploaded them here somewhere or somewhere else?

Thanks.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue September 26, 2017 7:15 AM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website