A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »First-person Animation Questions

Author Topic: First-person Animation Questions (2 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

FtDSpartn

Thank you.

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 03:22 PM    Msg. 1 of 2       
Recently I've gotten into first-person animation -- and I've been wondering a few things.

Is it possible to swap the FP arms with another set that has different nodes (swapping a cyborg's fp model for an elite's, for example) and keep the original animation? I know I'd have to pose the fingers/hands again but I'd like to keep the general gun movement. (I'd guess that it was done in t3h lag's video here?)

Secondly, how would you go about making a new set of FP arms? Could you take the original model and just chop off the needed parts, or would you have to model a whole new set using the 3p model as reference?

Lastly, any tips that you have I'd love to hear so I don't make completely terrible animations. Thanks!

Edit: I'm importing CMT SPv3 models/animations for reference for a few things, and they seem to be missing some frame nodes, such as for the battle rifle bolt, which doesn't seem normal. Anything I might be doing wrong?

Edit 2: Also, are there any tutorials on third-person/character animation out there? I can't seem to find anything. (Guess the title's not so accurate now!) I'm attempting to see if I can learn how to make a dual-wield animation set for elites.

Edit 3: To add onto the previous, how would you go about creating a dual-wielded third-person model of the plasma rifle? Logic tells me I'd import the model twice then link the left gun's frame to the right and link the __unnamed geometry to the respective frame gun, but the JMS exporter just freezes on me when doing this with an error in the listener window.
Edited by FtDSpartn on Sep 8, 2017 at 06:00 AM

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 11:44 PM    Msg. 2 of 2       
Quote: --- Original message by: FtDSpartn

Recently I've gotten into first-person animation -- and I've been wondering a few things.

Is it possible to swap the FP arms with another set that has different nodes (swapping a cyborg's fp model for an elite's, for example) and keep the original animation? I know I'd have to pose the fingers/hands again but I'd like to keep the general gun movement. (I'd guess that it was done in t3h lag's video here?)

Secondly, how would you go about making a new set of FP arms? Could you take the original model and just chop off the needed parts, or would you have to model a whole new set using the 3p model as reference?

Lastly, any tips that you have I'd love to hear so I don't make completely terrible animations. Thanks!

Edit: I'm importing CMT SPv3 models/animations for reference for a few things, and they seem to be missing some frame nodes, such as for the battle rifle bolt, which doesn't seem normal. Anything I might be doing wrong?

Edit 2: Also, are there any tutorials on third-person/character animation out there? I can't seem to find anything. (Guess the title's not so accurate now!) I'm attempting to see if I can learn how to make a dual-wield animation set for elites.

Edit 3: To add onto the previous, how would you go about creating a dual-wielded third-person model of the plasma rifle? Logic tells me I'd import the model twice then link the left gun's frame to the right and link the __unnamed geometry to the respective frame gun, but the JMS exporter just freezes on me when doing this with an error in the listener window.
Edited by FtDSpartn on Sep 8, 2017 at 06:00 AM

As far as I know you must have all the original nodes in the arms for the animations to work, that dosn't stop you from changing the position of the nodes though, so that they don't do anything noticeable even though they are still in the model.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue September 26, 2017 5:26 AM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website