A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »How to EDIT EXISTING bipeds without breaking them?

Author Topic: How to EDIT EXISTING bipeds without breaking them? (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Sep 11, 2017 02:58 AM    Msg. 1 of 7       
Guys I'm having some issues regarding custom bipeds. I tried to replicate the 1 and only tutorial I could find and ended in utter failure.

Say if I wanted to edit some marine heads, how would I go about editing the existing GBX models without breaking them?

OR is there a way I can use assets from other GBX models through Guerrilla without using 3DS?

OR, or... Are there any GOOD tutorials that show in depth how to edit EXISTING bipeds, vehicles or whatever tutorials out there? There are only custom from scratch ones but all I intend on doing is editing Halo's assets.

My issue: After deleting a piece of the model or adding another piece from another model you can no longer export the model because something breaks.
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Sep 11, 2017 at 03:00 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Sep 11, 2017 03:32 AM    Msg. 2 of 7       
Did you link the model correctly to the respective bones? You have to make sure the rig will work right too.

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Sep 11, 2017 08:16 AM    Msg. 3 of 7       
I kinda did this a while ago and forgot the error...

Something about an '--unknown name in undefined' error after I tried exporting and that's it. Tool starts then says unable to do whatever and there really isn't anything on it.

For the life of me I cannot find anything about editing existing GBX models without breaking them.

Say if I wanted put an elite's head on a grunt's body, how would I do that?

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Sep 11, 2017 07:28 PM    Msg. 4 of 7       
If you recreate the problem and show us the exact error we can help you better.

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 03:34 AM    Msg. 5 of 7       
Ok ill do this as a test.

I imported the armoured marine GBX into 3DS as you do with the 'run max script' thing, he appears all fine with his markers and all (minus the textures)...

I deleted his head and hid everything in the scene. I then ran the process again and imported the marine GBX and deleted everything except the head mesh.

I then unhid everything and linked every marker and mesh to the pelvis part (as seen in most tutorials).

So far I got an armoured marine with the marine head, all linked to the pelvis part, all its markers, meshes and no texture (I'm assuming I don't have to apply textures again? If not how do I import the model with its textures?)

So I then run the JMS export and it fails. I get that invalid name error that I listed in my previous post. I thought I'd get more information from tool but the debug didn't show anything.

That's basically the process. So my issue, I cannot combine other pieces of mesh to other GBX models without getting that error.

Sorry its the best I could put it. If its too complex to explain, is there a tutorial somewhere out there that explains how to EDIT EXISTING GBX models rather than the custom, from scratch creations?
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Sep 12, 2017 at 03:37 AM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 01:57 AM    Msg. 6 of 7       
invalid name error comes from when you're exporting without giving a material a proper name.

Also never link all your markers to the pelvis bone, that's extremely counter intuitive as it'll determine where effects are based on your local position rather than where the relative bones are.

To answer you though, no there is no way to edit an existing GBX model without either A: Importing and modifying, or B: creating from scratch.
Edited by R93_Sniper on Sep 13, 2017 at 01:57 AM

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 12:05 AM    Msg. 7 of 7       
Ok, ill extract some biped models and follow a 'from scratch' tutorial and see if I can replicate edits. If I ever succeed I'll post an update and or make a guide.

EDIT: I made some progress but ill post my new issue here instead of making another thread since this is related to it.

When I export my JMS I get this error: --Unknown property: "name" in undefined

The other window highlights line 793: format "%\n%\n" geom_materials[m].name "<none>" to:jms

So what does this mean and how would I go about fixing this if its actually fixable?
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Sep 15, 2017 at 05:08 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue September 26, 2017 7:15 AM 313 ms.
A Halo Maps Website