A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Tag database! Last chance! Do not protect tags!

Author Topic: Tag database! Last chance! Do not protect tags! (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

sparky#0096

Posted: Sep 26, 2017 09:17 PM    Msg. 1 of 7       
Tag protection means altering the tag information in a map file so that information about the tags is lost.

Within the next few months, I plan to provide a comprehensive database of tags. Any map files that have protected tags lose author credit and force those who duplicate your work to take full credit for your work. Protecting tags means forfeiting attribution for your work, because you have removed your name from the tag pathname string. Years ago, I suggested and insisted to this and other Halo content authoring communities that tag authors maintain a unique tag pathname string for each tag including their name and the name of their project. I gave an example like this:

tags\sparky\levels\bgx\... for level-specific tags,
tags\sparky\resources\bitmaps_sounds_collection\... for tag packs used by an author, and
tags\sparky\vehicles\... for tags used by an author within multiple levels.

The TPNS format (did you know that I coined the term "TPNS" and "tag pathname string"?) is:

tags\<author>\levels\<map name>\...
tags\<author>\resources\<collection name>\...
tags\<author>\<commercial tags directory structure>

For multiple authors of a single map or project, the main contributor to a tag should have that tag in their own author directory.

The database will parse all tag data and consider any differences to existing tags as a different tag.

The time has come to finish the Incyclopedia, and I will be taking tags from all maps and parsing them into its database. If any of your maps have altered tags and you want to be given credit for your work, you must use an application such as Eschaton to expand the map and rename the tags, or move around the tag files manually and alter their references in Guerilla and recompile them using Tool. Otherwise, I will rename all altered tags in a map based upon the published author name, or designate them as lacking authorship, regardless of who the actual author of the map and tags is or whether they used your tags. Users of the Incyclopedia will not be able to change authorship of this existing work.

If you have a lot of tags, then the easiest way to claim authorship for your work is to make a blank .scenario tag in Guerilla, use the References block to reference all your main tags (typically other .scenario tags, globals.globals tags, strings, and UI tags), and compile that map file, then expand the map file in Eschaton (you might have to first convert the map to PC format using Harbinger or Pearl), then rename the tags in Eschaton and rebuild the map, then test the rebuilt map file in Halo Custom Edition or Halo PC, and if it works, send it to me. If it doesn't work, then use the more difficult approach of duplicating your tags folder and moving around all the tag files and altering their referenced paths in Guerilla. You may be able to use Mozzerilla or some other application to do batch tag renaming.

If you care at all about credit for your work, I'm going to give you this last chance to alter your existing maps and tag packs so that the tag names are not protected (obfuscated) and so that they follow the example I gave, and then to upload your existing maps to a free hosting web site like mega or Google drive or even Mediafire, and post the link to the unprotected maps here or in a private message.

If you do not care at all about credit for your work, if you ignore this message, then you will likely not receive any credit for your work.

I can also be contacted on my Discord server about Halo.

DeadHamster

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 01:24 AM    Msg. 2 of 7       
I actually wrote a program that rewrites tagnames in existing mapfiles, placing them a directory deeper. It does exactly this.

So you open the mapfile, select HAMP, and then "WEAPONS\ASSAULT RIFLE\ASSAULT RIFLE" becomes "HAMP\WEAPONS\ASSAULT RIFLE\ASSAULT RIFLE". Breaks the map for playing, but renames the tags.

Program is called Michigan J. Frogomizer. Look for the Ragtime Gal edition.

S12Spark

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 08:31 AM    Msg. 3 of 7       
Sounds like an interesting project, will you update this thread with progress or when it is finished?

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Oct 1, 2017 01:54 AM    Msg. 4 of 7       
Doesnt the entire premise of this violate the "people deserve just compensation for their work" ideal you had in another forum post? Or does that only apply when its self beneficiary or related to your jesusfreaking?

sparky

sparky#0096

Posted: Oct 1, 2017 04:53 PM    Msg. 5 of 7       
What compensation are you expecting? How does this compensation change by removing your name from your work?

As for this term you used, "jesusfreaking", I acknowledge that there are much more important things than Halo. I advise you to also acknowledge that fact.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Oct 1, 2017 11:24 PM    Msg. 6 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
What compensation are you expecting? How does this compensation change by removing your name from your work?

As for this term you used, "jesusfreaking", I acknowledge that there are much more important things than Halo. I advise you to also acknowledge that fact.

Sure, none of which are the things you believe in though, considering how much of a wristwatch you tend to be.

Give credit where credit is due, thats all that matters. I dont think any of us actually care enough to go through with some backhand method of renaming tags for credit, especially when a lot of people offhand just put things in like the weapons\ folder.

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 03:27 PM    Msg. 7 of 7       
most of my most important tags have my name as part of the tag name, the ones that don't, I'm not too worried about.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue December 12, 2017 8:54 AM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website